gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:41:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348243 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1200 on: December 06, 2016, 08:42:27 PM »

WIRWFC is good. Like the new "Little Saint Nick" & "The Man with All the Toys"

I'll go as far as to say the remake of "The Man With All The Toys" is FAR superior to the original.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
KDS
« Reply #1201 on: December 07, 2016, 05:21:41 AM »

WIRWFC is good. Like the new "Little Saint Nick" & "The Man with All the Toys"

I'll go as far as to say the remake of "The Man With All The Toys" is FAR superior to the original.

I like the fact that the BW version is expanded to what feels more like a full song, but I still gravitate towards the BB original.  Mainly because, IMO, you can beat the BB harmonies, and I love Brian's falsetto in the 1964 track. 

But, at least the '05 Man With All the Toys differentiates itself from the original.  Little Saint Nick is just kinda.....there. 
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: December 07, 2016, 05:32:48 AM »

Endless Harmony is an awesome song.
KDS
« Reply #1203 on: December 07, 2016, 05:40:50 AM »

I think it's one of the few bright spots of the KTSA album.  Especially when Carl comes in followed by the block harmonies.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: December 07, 2016, 05:55:06 AM »

Beautiful music & harmonies in "When girls get together".

About TMWATT, I like the "Hop! Hop!" catchy joyful responses by the rest of Boys. But remake ain't no slouch either.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: December 07, 2016, 08:23:20 AM »

I'd much rather have seen the 1977 Christmas Album come out as planned, probably along with the MIU Album. It would have lost *a lot* of money, but I think that by now, it would've found a Love You-esque niche following.

I see the album released with a single of "Christmas Time is Here Again" b/w "Alone on Christmas Day" and a promo single of "Morning Christmas".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIv4AmzVyWE
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 10:29:00 AM by pdas1996 » Logged
KDS
« Reply #1206 on: December 07, 2016, 08:28:48 AM »

I'd much rather have seen the 1977 Christmas Album come out as planned, probably along with the MIU Album. It would have lost *a lot* of money, but I think that by now, it would've found a [iLove You[/i]-esque niche following.

I see the album released with a single of "Christmas Time is Here Again" b/w "Alone on Christmas Day" and a promo single of "Morning Christmas".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIv4AmzVyWE

I'd be willing to bet that, had it been released at that time, at least one of the songs would've become a perennial Xmas standard.  Not sure which one, though. 
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1207 on: December 07, 2016, 11:46:32 AM »

I'd be willing to bet that, had it been released at that time, at least one of the songs would've become a perennial Xmas standard.  Not sure which one, though. 

My money would be on "Morning Christmas". Such a dynamic, magical-sounding song, perfectly capturing the powerful and awe-evoking emotions of wonder felt by children waking up on Christmas day.

Or something like that.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
KDS
« Reply #1208 on: December 07, 2016, 12:22:50 PM »

My money would be on "Morning Christmas". Such a dynamic, magical-sounding song, perfectly capturing the powerful and awe-evoking emotions of wonder felt by children waking up on Christmas day.

Or something like that.

I think, far and away, that Morning Christmas is the best of the 70s Xmas songs.  But, is that the one that would've been released?  I would hope so.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: December 08, 2016, 06:01:53 PM »

I really like Bells of Christmas while not liking the MIU equivalent at all.

I also despise HELP Is on the Way for its embarrassing lyrics, but the backing track is nice enough that I enjoy Santa's on His Way despite the half-hearted vocals.  Too bad that one did not make the released Christmas CD.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: December 10, 2016, 07:54:51 AM »

I really like Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: December 11, 2016, 10:08:53 AM »

I don't hear any of what you described in MC. I hear boring song with one of the worst Dennis vocals. I like his 60s youthful, non-damaged voice. To me, Christmas songs must be joyful, lift spirits, like Brenda Lee's "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" or Randy Travis' "Jingle Bell Rock". Or the BBs own "Little Saint Nick" et al.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #1212 on: December 12, 2016, 05:34:29 AM »

I don't hear any of what you described in MC. I hear boring song with one of the worst Dennis vocals. I like his 60s youthful, non-damaged voice. To me, Christmas songs must be joyful, lift spirits, like Brenda Lee's "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" or Randy Travis' "Jingle Bell Rock". Or the BBs own "Little Saint Nick" et al.

I'll respectfully disagree, as I don't think Christmas songs need to be up tempo to be effective.  Morning Christmas is an example.  Bing Crosby's White Christmas, John Lennon's Happy Xmas, Sinatra's Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, etc etc.  They won't get your toes tapping, but they're all beautiful Christmas songs. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: December 12, 2016, 06:50:37 AM »

I'll respectfully disagree, as I don't think Christmas songs need to be up tempo to be effective.  Morning Christmas is an example.  Bing Crosby's White Christmas, John Lennon's Happy Xmas, Sinatra's Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, etc etc.  They won't get your toes tapping, but they're all beautiful Christmas songs. 
I said "joyful", not "uptempo". I like slow Christmas songs - "Merry Little Christmas", "The Christmas Song" & others. But they sound joyful, positive & cozy.

KDS
« Reply #1214 on: December 12, 2016, 07:03:10 AM »

I said "joyful", not "uptempo". I like slow Christmas songs - "Merry Little Christmas", "The Christmas Song" & others. But they sound joyful, positive & cozy.

I think Morning Christmas conjures up ideas of warm cozy Christmases (even though the lyrics cite Christmas evening, not morning)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: December 12, 2016, 07:11:22 AM »

I think Morning Christmas conjures up ideas of warm cozy Christmases (even though the lyrics cite Christmas evening, not morning)
Not for me. I really can't stand Dennis's voice there. It's unbearable to these ears, too damaged. Boring melody that drags.

KDS
« Reply #1216 on: December 12, 2016, 07:19:41 AM »

Not for me. I really can't stand Dennis's voice there. It's unbearable to these ears, too damaged. Boring melody that drags.

To each their own.  The melody sort of reminds of a slowed down Happy Xmas (the "war is over / if you want it" part)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1217 on: December 12, 2016, 10:18:03 AM »

To each their own.  The melody sort of reminds of a slowed down Happy Xmas (the "war is over / if you want it" part)

Good ear!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: December 13, 2016, 11:46:23 AM »

I really like Bells of Christmas while not liking the MIU equivalent at all.

Me too, and I also like "Melikalikimaka" a lot, even though the rhyme with "Hawaii talk-a" is a crime against humanity. Still, I don't understand the seemingly widely-held opinion that the '77 Christmas tracks are dreadful. In my very humble opinion, as a body of songs they're superior to the '64 album at least.
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: December 13, 2016, 08:41:40 PM »

I wouldn't want to offend anyone or hurt anyones feelings but I'm sorry Im not a fan of Matt Jardine. I personally feel he sings to high & squeaky. Although i will admit he does have his moments like Hushabye in the early 90s and The Warmth of the sun on Stars & Stripes.  I miss Foskett with Brian Sad
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: December 13, 2016, 09:12:56 PM »

Well this is Unpopular BBs opinions for reason.

If we talk falsetto, I think Randell Kirsch had the best of both bands. Matt would be next. Say what you will but I didn't think that Adrian Baker's falsetto was THAT bad.

Then there is Christian - I never understood why he was compared to Carl. I think Christopher Cross channels Carl better, f.ex. in "I can hear music".

thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: December 14, 2016, 04:19:42 AM »

Matt all the time for me. His timbre is sweet, with no metallic overtones. And he is Al's son.

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
KDS
« Reply #1222 on: December 14, 2016, 05:15:12 AM »

I really like Matt's singing voice. 

But, I don't believe he's miles better than Foskett, an opinion I've often seen posted on here and other BB sites. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: December 14, 2016, 08:45:27 PM »

Matt all the time for me. His timbre is sweet, with no metallic overtones. And he is Al's son.
Do you by chance hint at Jeff Foskett? His voice does sound a little metallic. As for Matt, I like his voice but Al's better. No contest.

Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: December 30, 2016, 11:41:40 PM »

That one always gets me. Same, though to a lesser extent, with 'Brians Back'.

Also, 'Summer Means New Love' is their greatest instrumental (even better than 'Lets Go Away For Awhile') and one of the most romantic pieces of music ever recorded, in my opinion.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx