gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:55:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348084 times)
KDS
« Reply #1150 on: July 28, 2016, 12:04:05 PM »

They appeared on several songs: I'd have to dig out one of the videotapes from the mid 90s to recall. I know they would come out at the beginning of the show during "California Girls", with different models coming out in different costumes to "demonstrate" the different lines in the song.

I figure they had to justify the cost of taking cheerleaders with them on tour, so they'd use them on multiple songs.

I'd also guess that eventually they dropped the cheerleaders to cut down on costs.

OK, that's pretty cheesy. 

I think the current touring band strikes a pretty good balance between a party atmosphere and musical experience. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1151 on: July 28, 2016, 12:04:47 PM »

Al talking referencing the cheerleaders in a 1998 interview:

Q: In other words, the touring version of the band started to become  something of a joke?

A: Oh yeah.  We had to confine ourselves to just the hits.  We were like a  traveling jukebox, and then we added cheerleaders to the jukebox and it  started to look like an overly decorated Christmas tree.  And it just got  further and further away from the music and more into the Barnum & Bailey  thing, where you pull out all the circus animals, the tent, the chimpanzee  with the organ grinder -- the whole thing.  It just got to be too much of a  circus and I wanted to put the music back in the show, so I created this  idea of doing what I've called the "b-sides."
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 12:07:14 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1152 on: July 28, 2016, 12:06:48 PM »

And Al's 2000 "Goldmine" interview (published in 2000, but I believe the interview is from 1999):

Q: It saddened me that the Beach Boys' live shows were cheapened by the cheerleaders.

A: Yeah, I actually got in trouble in an interview I did for a big magazine. I said virtually the same things and Mike got quite upset because I characterized the band that way. But I'm only telling the truth. It began to be a sideshow. Mike reluctantly gave into that eventually. But then I think he was so embittered by that that maybe that's when he began to reinvent the band.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1153 on: July 28, 2016, 12:08:47 PM »

What's interesting is the possibility that Mike "gave into" the concept of dropping the cheerleaders. I'm curious if both Al and Carl perhaps drew a line concerning that.

Anyone remember when the cheerleaders were dropped? They were there in 1995. I'm guessing perhaps 1996 or 1997 would have to be when they were dropped.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1154 on: July 28, 2016, 12:12:06 PM »

They appeared on several songs: I'd have to dig out one of the videotapes from the mid 90s to recall. I know they would come out at the beginning of the show during "California Girls", with different models coming out in different costumes to "demonstrate" the different lines in the song.

I figure they had to justify the cost of taking cheerleaders with them on tour, so they'd use them on multiple songs.

I'd also guess that eventually they dropped the cheerleaders to cut down on costs.

I think the current touring band strikes a pretty good balance between a party atmosphere and musical experience. 

Yeah, for whatever reason, whether by choice or happenstance, the show doesn't have that tacky element anymore. I think the cheerleaders were gone while Carl and Al were still touring.

The Stamos element is still tacky at modern day Mike shows, and I think the thing where Totten puts someone (seemingly always a woman and always on the younger side) between himself and his guitar and plays it from behind their back is kind of gross and tacky. If someone can produce pics or footage of him doing this with a 67-year-old dude in a Hawaiian shirt, then at least I'd feel it was purely about some sort of "fan experience."

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: July 28, 2016, 12:14:56 PM »

Back on track. 

I don't really get why people are so put off by the cheerleaders that used to dance during Be True to Your School?

Ever been to a Motley Crue show?  Those cheerleaders are bundled out compared to the girls at a Crue show.....or even current NFL cheerleaders for that matter.
The thing is, dancers at a Motley Crue show kind of go with their image and reputation. So something like that would actually be part of the "experience" of a Motley Crue concert. But scantily clad women shaking their you know what's around to "America's Band" just feels...dirty. It's also a distraction to the music.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
KDS
« Reply #1156 on: July 28, 2016, 12:26:40 PM »

Yeah, for whatever reason, whether by choice or happenstance, the show doesn't have that tacky element anymore. I think the cheerleaders were gone while Carl and Al were still touring.

The Stamos element is still tacky at modern day Mike shows, and I think the thing where Totten puts someone (seemingly always a woman and always on the younger side) between himself and his guitar and plays it from behind their back is kind of gross and tacky. If someone can produce pics or footage of him doing this with a 67-year-old dude in a Hawaiian shirt, then at least I'd feel it was purely about some sort of "fan experience."

The Stamos thing doesn't bother me so much because, for better or for worse, he helped introduce a lot of younger folks (like me) to TBB. 

The thing with Scott Totten, well, I don't know.  I think it depends.  If it's one of the female fans up there for Barbara Ann, and she's actually having fun with it, it's not too bad. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1157 on: July 28, 2016, 12:51:25 PM »

The Stamos thing doesn't bother me so much because, for better or for worse, he helped introduce a lot of younger folks (like me) to TBB. 

The thing with Scott Totten, well, I don't know.  I think it depends.  If it's one of the female fans up there for Barbara Ann, and she's actually having fun with it, it's not too bad. 

I suppose we all already know how we all respectively feel about the Stamos factor.

As for Totten, from everything I've seen, it's just a schtick he does sometimes for a song at the end of the show. I would imagine it's plenty of fun for him and whomever wants to go up on stage and do that. I'm also sure plenty of folks watching think it's fine and fun.

I just think that sort of stuff is a little skeevy conceptually.

Here's a combo of the cheerleader thing and the guitar thing!

KDS
« Reply #1158 on: July 28, 2016, 01:30:05 PM »

Reminds me of Spinal Tap

"They say the album cover is sexist."

Nigel - "What's wrong with being sexy?"
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: July 28, 2016, 01:30:57 PM »

It's quite the scene live. Tongue

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: July 28, 2016, 02:36:54 PM »

The first time I was aware of them was the 25th Anniversary Special from Hawaii.  I don't know if they were in the regular show before then or when they appeared after.

When I saw them in 1991 they were there and me and my mate loved them!  We were two 17 year old guys!  Mike's wife was one of the Cheerleaders at that show and for quite a few years after that.  In addition to the songs mentioned previously they also came out for the Surf songs towards the end of the show.

Another problem with them being there was that the guys had to be careful not to bump into them when trying to play instruments.  It became too much of a sideshow.  But it probably went on as long as it did as Mike maybe didn't want to make Jacquelyn redundant!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: July 28, 2016, 03:37:42 PM »

I suppose we all already know how we all respectively feel about the Stamos factor.

As for Totten, from everything I've seen, it's just a schtick he does sometimes for a song at the end of the show. I would imagine it's plenty of fun for him and whomever wants to go up on stage and do that. I'm also sure plenty of folks watching think it's fine and fun.

If a Beach Boys adult film parody is ever attempted... This pic looks like what one might imagine a scene in it would resemble.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: July 28, 2016, 04:39:09 PM »

Back to topic indeed.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 09:34:50 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: July 28, 2016, 04:47:21 PM »

Let it go was Billy's final word on the matter.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1164 on: July 28, 2016, 04:51:11 PM »

never said anything bad to jay, neither in posts, nor pm's.

We both know that is not true.

That said

^
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 05:03:41 PM by ♩♬ Billy C ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: July 28, 2016, 05:52:17 PM »

Ironic that I'm told to get back on topic when I didn't derail it in the 1st place.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 09:38:06 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1166 on: July 28, 2016, 06:40:54 PM »

Can you point me to the thread or posts? & you didn't answer my question - what's comment about not liking Dennis' songs got to do with that? It wasn't even his post I quoted. I was on-topic before jay derailed the thread.
Well, you did send him some not-so-nice PMs, and there were a few posts on the board with the two of you going back and forth. Granted, that was some time ago, but, yeah, it's no secret you two don't like each other (hell, you even admitted you have him on the 'ignore' list). That's what I was referring to. What he said was his reaction to your post, because to him it made absolutely no sense (and for goodness' sake, this thread is about UNPOPULAR opinions...there's bound to be some reactions periodically ). And yeah, what he said was very much out of line and he has since apologized about it.

And with that, I'm reposting SB's comment

And it is...let's get back on topic.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: July 28, 2016, 06:58:06 PM »

"Not-so-nice" pm's...interesting. Asking why he told me to not bother posting is not-so-nice, right. It's ludicrous that I didn't ever say anything to jay, but those posts you recall the instigator was him. I don't tolerate any rudeness - therefore, I added jay to ignore list. I visit this board like everybody - to relax & have nice chat with other BBs fans. I hate those songs written by Dennis. Yes, I do - SO WHAT? BIG DEAL. I will say it again if need be - & again & again as long as there is discussion of Dennis' songs. Everybody here doesn't like this that & everything in-between - why he doesn't challenge THEM?

NOW back to topic.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 09:44:14 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: July 29, 2016, 07:30:53 AM »

I have heard a rumour that the young lady with Scott & Guitar is Barbara Ann herself. More probably a descendant. Cool Guy
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 07:35:52 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: July 29, 2016, 07:51:07 AM »

Aside from "Good Timin'" and the three Dennis songs, there's not much great about it.
I wish Dennis didn't write these songs. That would be jolly good. Emotional or not - who cares? "Good Timin'" doesn't sound like good timin'. It should be "good borin'", ha! 3D

It's sad what living in Chernobyl does to ones brain cells.
Ringo, your post is generally xenophobic against Russians and Ukrainians, and personally insulting to RangeRoverA1. It's also insulting to all the victims of the giant tragedy that Chernobyl was and is. FYI, Chernobyl killed, and is still killing, people right where I live, at thousands of kilometers of distance from Russia and Ukraine.

Take this as my unpopular BB opinion.

In all fairness, she had thrown some barbs at him before and there is history there.

Doesn't make the post right, but knowing Jay the way I do, I know he didn't mean it in a xenophobic way at all.
Yeah, I made a mistake with that post. It was really in poor judgment and taste. I'm sorry guys. I'm especially sorry to thorgil, who was probably affected most by my comment. I didn't intend to be xenophobic or racist in any way. It was just a dumb "joke". Again. I'm sorry.
No biggie. Sorry but maybe I am over-sensitive on that kind of subject. I usually like your posts so was also a bit surprised. Your sincere apology is unsurprising instead, and thanks a lot for it. Smiley   

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: July 30, 2016, 11:12:20 AM »

Not sure if this is a popular or unpopular opinion, but he just came up in this thread... I am not a Scott Totten fan and I make a stinkface whenever I see him churn out one of Carl's guitar solos.  For being pretty much a member of America's foremost rock and roll band, he is not rock and roll to me.  His background is Berklee and playing guitar in Broadway productions and I guess that is part of the problem I have with Mike's traveling show.  Rock and roll is a culture that requires some grit and edginess, and I only identify Cowsill as having that.  

(edited to soften my initial opinion.  it was the right thing to do!)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 11:36:16 AM by Kid Presentable » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1171 on: July 30, 2016, 11:19:30 AM »

I like Scott, both as a person and a musician. Speaking for the latter, during the C50 show I went to, he took a song I never care for (Ballad of Ole Betsy) and made it sound pretty damn good.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: July 30, 2016, 11:29:21 AM »

Scott does seem to have an extra "clean with Al Jardine" demeanor, but he's one hell of a guitarist. I think he and Cowsill are the best parts of the current beach boys backing band.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: July 30, 2016, 11:57:14 AM »

Here is another one.... Mike's I'm Waiting For The Day handily bests Brian's, in my unpopular opinion. 

Even The Losers Get Lucky Sometimes.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1174 on: July 30, 2016, 12:31:03 PM »

Yeesh...definitely no IMHO. Of course, that's my 3rd favorite track on Pet Sounds (after IJWMFTT and Here Today) so I'm rather partial to Brian's original vocal.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx