gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:17:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348064 times)
KDS
« Reply #1125 on: July 15, 2016, 11:26:56 AM »

My unpopular BB opinions of the day: I like about 1/2 (or maybe closer to 1/3) of the album Summer in Paradise, and think the better songs could have made an ok (not super great, but ok) EP for 1992.

I also dig most of the new songs from the album Still Cruisin', as cheesy as they are. In fact, ditch the oldies + ditch Wipeout from that album, and in their place, add the best tracks from SIP, and you have a somewhat solid, although very dated, BB album for that time period.

I also think the outro of Make it Big with Brian + Mike's vocal interplay is one of my favorite BB moments in the entire catalog.

I really like the new tracks from Still Cruisin. 

And even thought I still think SIP is the worst LP in the catalog, I agree with you that at least 1/3 of it is good.  And.......whisper.......I like the version of Forever on that album.   It's not the Sunflower original, but I still like it.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: July 15, 2016, 11:49:01 AM »

My unpopular BB opinions of the day: I like about 1/2 (or maybe closer to 1/3) of the album Summer in Paradise, and think the better songs could have made an ok (not super great, but ok) EP for 1992.

I also dig most of the new songs from the album Still Cruisin', as cheesy as they are. In fact, ditch the oldies + ditch Wipeout from that album, and in their place, add the best tracks from SIP, and you have a somewhat solid, although very dated, BB album for that time period.

I also think the outro of Make it Big with Brian + Mike's vocal interplay is one of my favorite BB moments in the entire catalog.

I really like the new tracks from Still Cruisin.  

And even thought I still think SIP is the worst LP in the catalog, I agree with you that at least 1/3 of it is good.  And.......whisper.......I like the version of Forever on that album.   It's not the Sunflower original, but I still like it.

I don't dislike the SIP version of Forever nearly as much as I probably should. I actually don't think Stamos does such a bad job with vocals...are they really that much worse/different than Taylor Hawkins' surprisingly solid vocals on Holy Man? I think the Stamos-related thing that bugs many people about this tune is his cheesy imagery, best exemplified by the music video for the song. And the Full House connection in general. I totally get why people don't like the production on it though.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 12:16:59 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeroesandVillains
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: July 19, 2016, 01:51:43 AM »

Summer Of Love is a fucking train wreck but I love it for being such a cheese Fest
The Foot Fetish Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: July 27, 2016, 07:22:04 PM »

My contribution to this thread:

I find the modern day stereo remixes of Beach Boys tracks to be WAYYYYY superior not only to Chuck Britz original stereo mixes but also BRIAN'S ORIGINAL MONO MIXES.
As a matter of fact, I CANNOT listen to the original mono of Pet Sounds because, to me, it sounds deplorable...especially compared to the vastly superior stereo mix on the 1996 box set.

I like ONLY half of the Love You album....and then I ACTUALLY like half of Summer In Paradise. I think Summer In Paradise doesn't deserve AS bad of a bum rap as it has gotten. I seriously believe it's just trendy among the Beach Boys 'elite' to pump up their disdain for that album.

I think That's Why God Made The Radio was the best Beach Boys album since the self-titled album in 1985...and I think THAT album was the best since Sunflower. All three albums have helped my heart and soul.

I've always gotten more enjoyment from Al's rendition of "Come Go With Me" and "Peggy Sue" than I ever have "Help Me Rhonda".

I don't DISlike "Holland" but I don't think it's anywhere near as enjoyable as Brian's 1988 solo album.

On the other hand, Brian's 1995 album "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" is WAYYYYY worse than M.I.U or "Keeping The Summer Alive".

Nothin' but a foot fetish thang! (Thank you, Brittany Michelle)
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: July 27, 2016, 08:20:25 PM »

For how much I love this band, I think I only enjoy about a handful of saxophone parts.  The rest of the time I think that the song would be better off without it.  Example: Goin' On.
wingsoveramerica
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: July 27, 2016, 09:04:45 PM »

I actually enjoy Summer In Paradise (not including the couple of duds).

Jon G.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1131 on: July 27, 2016, 09:07:04 PM »

I like MIU a lot.

I also dislike LA Light a lot.

:/

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: July 27, 2016, 09:17:20 PM »

I often combine half of MIU and half of LA Light album to make the best of one album.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: July 27, 2016, 09:43:57 PM »

I also dislike LA Light a lot.

I definitely don't like it as much as some others on this board.  Aside from "Good Timin'" and the three Dennis songs, there's not much great about it.  It's bittersweet to listen to as it's pretty much Denny's swan song, it's the last Beach Boys album to feature him singing lead vocals and the last to really even feature him at all and its some of his best work.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: July 27, 2016, 09:56:30 PM »

Aside from "Good Timin'" and the three Dennis songs, there's not much great about it.
I wish Dennis didn't write these songs. That would be jolly good. Emotional or not - who cares? "Good Timin'" doesn't sound like good timin'. It should be "good borin'", ha! 3D

The best song in L.A. of course "Lady Lynda" - no question about it.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: July 27, 2016, 11:53:19 PM »

Aside from "Good Timin'" and the three Dennis songs, there's not much great about it.
I wish Dennis didn't write these songs. That would be jolly good. Emotional or not - who cares? "Good Timin'" doesn't sound like good timin'. It should be "good borin'", ha! 3D

*poor judgment call*
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 11:45:29 AM by Ognir Rrats » Logged

halblaineisgood
« Reply #1136 on: July 28, 2016, 03:12:39 AM »

]It's sad what living in Chernobyl does to ones brain cells.
true dat. your posts suck.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: July 28, 2016, 04:10:04 AM »

It's sad what living in Chernobyl does to ones brain cells.
Ringo, your post is generally xenophobic against Russians and Ukrainians, and personally insulting to RangeRoverA1. It's also insulting to all the victims of the giant tragedy that Chernobyl was and is. FYI, Chernobyl killed, and is still killing, people right where I live, at thousands of kilometers of distance from Russia and Ukraine.

Take this as my unpopular BB opinion.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 07:46:25 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: July 28, 2016, 07:09:10 AM »

Because she doesn't like a song you do? Thanks for the tastlessness. Love it.

MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: July 28, 2016, 08:01:38 AM »

Baaaaaaaaaan. Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!
KDS
« Reply #1140 on: July 28, 2016, 10:58:25 AM »

The last few posts reminded me of a trailer I saw yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgKCKPls5no
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1141 on: July 28, 2016, 11:03:37 AM »

Ringo, your post is generally xenophobic against Russians and Ukrainians, and personally insulting to RangeRoverA1. It's also insulting to all the victims of the giant tragedy that Chernobyl was and is. FYI, Chernobyl killed, and is still killing, people right where I live, at thousands of kilometers of distance from Russia and Ukraine.

In all fairness, she had thrown some barbs at him before and there is history there.

Doesn't make the post right, but knowing Jay the way I do, I know he didn't mean it in a xenophobic way at all.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1142 on: July 28, 2016, 11:05:51 AM »

Because she doesn't like a song you do? 

No, there is previous history there. That said, I'm ending it here.

KDS
« Reply #1143 on: July 28, 2016, 11:19:04 AM »

Back on track. 

I don't really get why people are so put off by the cheerleaders that used to dance during Be True to Your School?

Ever been to a Motley Crue show?  Those cheerleaders are bundled out compared to the girls at a Crue show.....or even current NFL cheerleaders for that matter.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: July 28, 2016, 11:38:43 AM »

In all fairness, she had thrown some barbs at him before and there is history there.

Doesn't make the post right, but knowing Jay the way I do, I know he didn't mean it in a xenophobic way at all.
Yeah, I made a mistake with that post. It was really in poor judgment and taste. I'm sorry guys. I'm especially sorry to thorgil, who was probably affected most by my comment. I didn't intend to be xenophobic or racist in any way. It was just a dumb "joke". Again. I'm sorry.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1145 on: July 28, 2016, 11:44:57 AM »

I think the "cheerleaders" thing is both simple, and a bit complicated.

I think if they had just brought out cheerleaders on rare occasions for a quick rendition of "Be True...", it wouldn't be a HUGE deal. I think even then it kind of lends an air of tackiness (which isn't unique; there are other shows that have done or do tacky things or things that undercut the gravitas of an artist's music), but that's not a huge deal.

I think it was traveling with cheerleaders and having them on multiple songs that turned the show more into a "show" than a concert. And especially in the era the BBs did it, it furthered their image among some as old slightly skeevy dudes singing about teenagers (male and female), and it turned the image more into a "party band" than a band that would perform "Pet Sounds" with an orchestra at a nice indoor theater.

Plus, and I think this was pointed out in either the Carlin or Stebbins books, some of the band (mainly Al apparently) were annoyed because on top of how tacky it appeared, it also meant the already-stale setlist was even *more* rigid because they couldn't vary the show on the fly from gig to gig as much because the cheerleaders had to schedule costume changes and whatnot.

But ultimately, the cheerleaders, much like Stamos, is just another litmus test for BB fans. You see them at a show, and I think one's sensibilities will immediately either tell them it's tacky or that they don't care. If one doesn't understand the concept of why someone might find it tacky and feel it undercuts the band's image and leads to people taking the band *even less* seriously, I don't think there's any way to explain it.

To me, looking at attractive people and turning on that part of my brain is *completely separate* from listening to BB music. I'm not particularly into the "cheerleader" thing even outside of BB shows (it totally is objectifying and tacky and all of that even at a football game or elsewhere). I'd rather appreciate a beautiful woman in a far different context.

But whatever someone's "thing" is, whatever they're into, I can't fathom how someone would think "You know, what really gets me going when I'm thinking about looking at hot young cheerleaders is Mike Love singing "Wheeeeeeeeeeen" right behind her."

If anything, even if I had a cheerleader fetish, I'd find a bunch of dudes in their fifties backing them up a total turn off.

I don't want to look at Picasso paintings while I'm at a BB show either.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 11:45:49 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #1146 on: July 28, 2016, 11:55:43 AM »

Well, I didn't realize they had them onstage for songs other than Be True to Your School.  For that song, it makes sense since they are "cheerleaders" on the single version.

In that context, being turned off by them makes more sense to me. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1147 on: July 28, 2016, 12:00:02 PM »

They appeared on several songs: I'd have to dig out one of the videotapes from the mid 90s to recall. I know they would come out at the beginning of the show during "California Girls", with different models coming out in different costumes to "demonstrate" the different lines in the song.

I figure they had to justify the cost of taking cheerleaders with them on tour, so they'd use them on multiple songs.

I'd also guess that eventually they dropped the cheerleaders to cut down on costs.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1148 on: July 28, 2016, 12:00:58 PM »

Here's "California Girls" from 1995:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjpRHgAu_64

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1149 on: July 28, 2016, 12:02:05 PM »

"Dance Dance Dance/Do You Wanna Dance" from Japan, 1991:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMU1tF64_Uc

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx