gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:26:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348095 times)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: May 27, 2015, 07:51:03 AM »

Yes, it was all totally the Wilson brothers who put a stop to Mike Love's pretentious, avant garde posturing and experimentation. Once he got Bruce to help him do twelve-tone music, the Wilsons had to step in.

Was it Mike's idea to make an oldie album?  15 BOs was very popular.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: May 27, 2015, 08:20:17 AM »

Technically it was Brian's idea as the oldies were meant to be warm ups either for an all oldies set or not for release at all if enough good new material could come out of the sessions. As Brian called time saying he was 'done', the band had to cobble together a new album out of the covers and originals.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: May 27, 2015, 08:49:28 AM »

Out of interest, who is on this track?

I think Curt Boettcher is the one singing, but the song was written by Bruce Johnston and produced by Curt Boettcher and Gary Usher
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: May 27, 2015, 08:53:45 AM »

You told me on message sth. like that it's silly to create Bring/Welcome Back type of threads & now you've done it yourself. I think it's unfair & doesn't fit your former sig "Nope, just objective". You're like all of us, what you say isn't objective.

What's done is done. If the mods said he won't return, then won't. Let's quit complaining & grieving over. The board is still the same. Nothing changed.

Time to move on.
What's that old saying, two wrongs don't make a right? And yes Murry, we'll quit our complaining and grieving over Mikie, now.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 08:54:51 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #954 on: May 27, 2015, 08:55:24 AM »

Thanks. Now get back on topic - read above "unpopular opinions". police

Btw, I'm not too strong on English sayings, so I've no idea what it is. police
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 09:03:43 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #955 on: May 27, 2015, 09:20:19 AM »

Thanks. Now get back on topic - read above "unpopular opinions". police

Btw, I'm not too strong on English sayings, so I've no idea what it is. police

Basically, refers to opinions that many diehard Beach Boys / Brian Wilson fans will not agree with. 

For example, I think Kokomo is a good song, but most people who tend to post here would not agree. 
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: May 27, 2015, 09:35:20 AM »

Surfin' Safari isn't a bad album, its just not got a lot of substance to it. Honestly I was listening to it yesterday and its a really fun album, especially Chug-a-lug and Cuckoo Clock!

Before 15 Big Ones I wouldn't say there was a legitimately terrible Beach Boys album. The fact that some of the early albums have some hilariously goofy filler just serves to endear me more to them and make the likes of Today, Pet Sounds, SMiLE and Sunflower all that much better! Smokin
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: May 27, 2015, 09:53:05 AM »

I think 15 Big Ones has some of the best backing tracks that Brian Wilson ever produced and/or arranged. He still had "it" when it came to arranging. The selection of oldies could've been better, and the sequencing has a lot to be desired. That being said, I think the main reason why 15 Big Ones is so criticized is because of Brian's, and to a lesser extent Dennis', lead vocals. Those vocals account for a large part of the album. They are just too off-putting for a Beach Boys album which led to in 1976, including from me, a lot of WTF moments. I've come to accept them but I can see how they turned off the casual fan, and probably lost many, too.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: May 27, 2015, 10:04:44 AM »

Love You has its share of vocals that could be considered awful/off-putting and looking back its a lot more positively viewed. That probably has to do with the fact that its so personal and so extremely mid -70's Brian Wilson that many fans can't help but adore it. The songs on the LP are clearly much more creative and interesting most importantly.

I especially have a soft spot for the likes of Had To Phone Ya and That Same Song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btH-ZPtxiio
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: May 27, 2015, 10:12:25 AM »

I think 15 Big Ones has some of the best backing tracks that Brian Wilson ever produced and/or arranged. He still had "it" when it came to arranging. The selection of oldies could've been better, and the sequencing has a lot to be desired. That being said, I think the main reason why 15 Big Ones is so criticized is because of Brian's, and to a lesser extent Dennis', lead vocals. Those vocals account for a large part of the album. They are just too off-putting for a Beach Boys album which led to in 1976, including from me, a lot of WTF moments. I've come to accept them but I can see how they turned off the casual fan, and probably lost many, too.

Agreed on the backing tracks. Had to Phone Ya is one of the few Brian tunes that could work solely as an instrumental.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: May 27, 2015, 11:38:11 AM »

Technically it was Brian's idea as the oldies were meant to be warm ups either for an all oldies set or not for release at all if enough good new material could come out of the sessions. As Brian called time saying he was 'done', the band had to cobble together a new album out of the covers and originals.

So really it is Brian's fault (and those who supported him) because he was right which was further proven when the following new music albums tanked (regardless of our personal opinions of them).

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #961 on: May 27, 2015, 12:09:23 PM »

I don't recall Dennis' vocals being the problem with 15 BO.  Brian's were a problem, with a bunch of weakly produced tracks.  After Endless Summer and Spirit of America, the fans were looking for something great and they got a medicore record.
KDS
« Reply #962 on: May 27, 2015, 12:20:47 PM »

I don't recall Dennis' vocals being the problem with 15 BO.  Brian's were a problem, with a bunch of weakly produced tracks.  After Endless Summer and Spirit of America, the fans were looking for something great and they got a medicore record.

Putting Brian Wilson in the driver's seat for 15 Big Ones was like putting an quarterback with a broken shoulder into a big game. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: May 27, 2015, 12:25:59 PM »

Vocally, my biggest issue with 15 Big Ones is that the background vocals are very un-Beach Boy-ish.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
KDS
« Reply #964 on: May 27, 2015, 12:32:47 PM »

Vocally, my biggest issue with 15 Big Ones is that the background vocals are very un-Beach Boy-ish.

Also, The Beach Boys doing a cover of In the Still of the Night should have been monumental.  Instead, it was OK at best.  And there are far better versions of Rock and Roll Music. 
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: May 27, 2015, 01:13:10 PM »

The songs off the Wild Honey album are fantastic when performed live.
The studio versions are really "meh" though, the production value is underwhelming.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #966 on: May 27, 2015, 01:39:13 PM »

Completely agree.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #967 on: May 27, 2015, 01:57:41 PM »

Love You has its share of vocals that could be considered awful/off-putting and looking back its a lot more positively viewed. That probably has to do with the fact that its so personal and so extremely mid -70's Brian Wilson that many fans can't help but adore it. The songs on the LP are clearly much more creative and interesting most importantly.

Right. It's not that it's some amazing masterpiece so much as it's so unapologetically quirky and fresh that makes me love it. It's just Brian being Brian and making music he wanted to make, no trying to create the next Pet Sounds as everyone expected, or relive 1963 as the public wanted. Like Smiley Smile, it took serious balls to release that album and no one but Brian motherfucking Wilson couldve done it. The simplistic, sometimes outright lame lyrics add to the quirky charm and innocence the LP has. The synths DO date it, I'll admit that. I never said it was perfect, but it IS very good. I dont see how anyone can call it overrated when all of maybe 500 people know or really care about it.

Putting Brian Wilson in the driver's seat for 15 Big Ones was like putting an quarterback with a broken shoulder into a big game. 

Excellent way to put it. It was a terrible and insensitive decision and they deserved everything they got afterwards for doing it.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #968 on: May 27, 2015, 02:00:13 PM »

In my above post, I was specifically referring to Dennis' lead vocal on "In The Still Of The Night". I think as a song selection, "In The Still Of The Night" was acceptable. And, I think Brian did a great arrangement of the song. But, hey, I love Dennis' vocal work on POB and some other BB ballads, but "In The Still Of The Night" was a misstep. I think you have to really, really, really like Dennis to appreciate that vocal.

Coming off Endless Summer/Spirit Of America, I think most fans, whether casual or diehard, were expecting the good ol' Beach Boys' vocals. I lived through it and I played 15 Big Ones for family, friends, co-workers, and casual Beach Boys' fans. Their reactions included, "THAT'S the Beach Boys?" and "THAT'S Brian Wilson?" and for Dennis' lead, "WHO is singing THAT?" The reactions included wincing, maybe shaking of the head, maybe a confused kind of look.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #969 on: May 27, 2015, 02:06:04 PM »

In my above post, I was specifically referring to Dennis' lead vocal on "In The Still Of The Night". I think as a song selection, "In The Still Of The Night" was acceptable. And, I think Brian did a great arrangement of the song. But, hey, I love Dennis' vocal work on POB and some other BB ballads, but "In The Still Of The Night" was a misstep. I think you have to really, really, really like Dennis to appreciate that vocal.

Coming off Endless Summer/Spirit Of America, I think most fans, whether casual or diehard, were expecting the good ol' Beach Boys' vocals. I lived through it and I played 15 Big Ones for family, friends, co-workers, and casual Beach Boys' fans. Their reactions included, "THAT'S the Beach Boys?" and "THAT'S Brian Wilson?" and for Dennis' lead, "WHO is singing THAT?" The reactions included wincing, maybe shaking of the head, maybe a confused kind of look.

Hell, just show anyone the cover. It's like sleaze and mildew and the shallow charms of a sociopath all embodied in one grotesque image. The very definition of tacky and ew.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #970 on: May 27, 2015, 02:11:29 PM »

I don't recall Dennis' vocals being the problem with 15 BO.  Brian's were a problem, with a bunch of weakly produced tracks.  After Endless Summer and Spirit of America, the fans were looking for something great and they got a medicore record.

Hell, just show anyone the cover. It's like sleaze and mildew and the shallow charms of a sociopath all embodied in one grotesque image. The very definition of tacky and ew.
Hell, if Dean had just chosen normal pics of the guys it would have improved the cover dramatically. Dennis' is the only nice pic of the five.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #971 on: May 27, 2015, 02:19:12 PM »

I can't defend the album photos; they were terrible. But, you know, 15 Big Ones' art work/packaging was a strong point for me. I liked The Beach Boys' insignia and the 1976 Olympics logo on the front cover. Inside had a nice collage of photos through the years, and the back cover had some extensive credits for each song.

15 Big Ones was a clear sounding record with a lot of music on it; in the age of vinyl/turntables that was important. I actually enjoyed the record very much and I still listen to it more than many other BB albums. But I totally "get" how the vocals could be a big turnoff to those expecting Endless Summer, or, hell, even after hearing "Rock And Roll Music" on the radio.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #972 on: May 27, 2015, 02:30:56 PM »

I absolutely love Dennis' vocal on In the Still of the Night. The BBs version works extremely well for me in every respect.  Just goes to show that the BBs catalog not only contains a lot of diverse music, but a lot of diverse fan (and non-fan) opinion as well.

But having also eagerly anticipated and lived through the release of !5 BO's, I encountered reactions from other similar to yours.  And the reaction to Love You was dramatically worse.  Mona, my favorite track on Love You, is one that many BB fans are not all that fond of.

SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: May 27, 2015, 03:00:34 PM »

I fucking love Johnny Carson. "Who's the man that we admire/Johnny Carson is a real live wire"! That is eccentric genius at its best.
orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: May 27, 2015, 03:19:55 PM »

Let's not forget the unpopularest (intentional misspelling) of Beach Boys opinions...

"Mike Love is a genius." - Brian Wilson

Brian Wilson is the only person in the world who could make that statement with humility.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx