gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:45:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348309 times)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: May 24, 2015, 12:26:15 PM »

I love Carl's voice but I hate the vocal on I Was Made to Love Her.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: May 24, 2015, 12:32:26 PM »

Carl was still arguably adjusting vocally into 1967 IMO, I Was Made To Love Her is probably one of the few missteps he made during that time. Having said that his vocals on Wild Honey and Darlin' from that album more than make up for that!
Gohi
« Reply #877 on: May 24, 2015, 02:38:16 PM »

Carl's vocal on Wild Honey is painful for me to listen to because he is straining so fucking hard.
It sounds as if that song is at the very top of his range and, in fact, I believe Brian confirmed that notion (though I have no link).
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #878 on: May 24, 2015, 03:24:41 PM »

I don't mind the strained Carl vocals that much. Now, the 'sleepy' voiced Carl from the late 70s? Not my favorite period for sure.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #879 on: May 24, 2015, 03:43:11 PM »

No Pier Pressure is not very good at all and it lacks any standout tracks that even the very worst Brian / Beach Boys albums have.  Undecided

No pier Pressure is the worst BW solo album excepting GIOMH released or otherwise.

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #880 on: May 24, 2015, 04:09:14 PM »

I actually prefer Alex's rough voice over his later Roger McGuinn impressions.
It's not so much "rough", tho, more like a teen boy trying to sound gritty on purpose. but either way, it sounds bad.

After finding a fairly nice copy of it while record shopping this past weekend in Memphis and giving it a couple of listens, M.I.U. isn't a bad album.  It's not Today or Pet Sounds, but it's not bad at all.  I like it better overall than 15 Big Ones, which I also picked up last weekend.
You & us plenty! If you look around,  there are more MIU fans than LA.
side 1 of MIU ans pitter patter is good rockNroll, add shortenin bread then it overpowers the Light album all the way...shortenin bread is the ONLY rockin.tune on L.A. and I dont get how anyone no matter how big the BB fan could think its even a half good lp, same w ktsa...one or two rockin tunes and the rest MOR-AOR cmon.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: May 24, 2015, 05:44:06 PM »

Breakaway is the catchiest song they ever made (The version on Made in California is incredible)

Mike's part "Found out it was in my head..." is his greatest piece of vocal ever.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #882 on: May 24, 2015, 05:47:43 PM »

Here's mine:

The pre-Today stuff is good, not great. I enjoy listening to the old surf/car songs, but I think they're incredibly dated and tacky. Thats not a slight on the Boys so much as a slight on surf music and even most early 60s pop music in general. I personally much prefer the stuff that bands started churning out around 65 on to 73 or so.

They are not album artists, period. Today, Pet Sounds, Sunflower, Love You and Holland are the only truly great albums they ever finished. There's incredible highlights on other albums, but overall they're very spotty, tend to be too short and post-67 relied on SMiLE scraps even to achieve that.

Surf's Up has its moments, but it's an overall mediocre album and probably the least "cool" album they ever did. Just shows how far times have changed that what used to be the cool Beach Boys LP is probably the most dated.

SMiLE is a two-sided album in which each side is defined by having the same instruments take a prominent role, an overarching theme being built upon song by song, and recurring motifs between the tracks. Not a 3-movement symphony, not a totally by the numbers banded 12 track with nothing special about its structure. It would have been similarly built as Today, except with the distinction between sides 10x more prominent and meaningful. Thats how it would have been progressive and new, not the way BWPS did it, nor the Elements side way proposed by Priore.

Smiley Smile is a work of genius, and time will show it. Already it seems to have grown in stature just the 5 or 6 years since I started following the Beach Boys story intently. It will come to be more and more acclaimed for what it is as the years go by, especially now that SMiLE is finally released. I only didnt list it under their great finished albums because of the inclusion of the singles that ruin the flow. But the other songs, those recorded together under one set of sessions, are an amazingly experimental and cohesive collection of music.

The Beach Boys died with the release of 15 Big Ones. At least as a genuine studio band, I cant speak to their live shows. The act of desperation of taking an unwell man and dragging him into the studio for money, as well as Endless Summer and the touring jukebox showed how far they had sunk, how they ignored the talent right in front of them for the easy money and thus how misguided they were.

BWPS, while a great and very well-deserved personal milestone for the man himself, may be the worst thing that ever happened as far as SMiLE debates go. On the one hand, the sessions never would have been officially released without it. On the other, it cemented what is almost certainly a completely different and IMHO subpar structure as the real thing in many people's eyes. We got SMiLE, but as far as John Q Public is concerned, it's a very different animal to the *real* teenage symphony to god.

As the years and decades go by, SMiLE will be the real lasting legacy of Brian Wilson. Pet Sounds too, but it will be secondary, rather than the other way around as is the case now.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 03:35:14 AM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: May 24, 2015, 05:56:33 PM »

Here's mine:

As the years and decades go by, SMiLE will be the real lasting legacy of Brian Wilson. Pet Sounds too, but it will be secondary, rather than the other way around as is the case now.

See I don't think this is true, in essence we got SMiLE sure but it will always be overshadowed by what it could have/should have/would have been. There is no questions behind Pet Sounds, it is what it is. Pet Sounds is the greatest piece of whole music Brian ever put down and it is hard to question it when put against the mesh-pot that SMiLE became/is. I think Brian Wilson will always be synonymous with the completed Pet Sounds and not the fragmented SMiLE
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: May 24, 2015, 06:59:37 PM »

side 1 of MIU ans pitter patter is good rockNroll, add shortenin bread then it overpowers the Light album all the way...shortenin bread is the ONLY rockin.tune on L.A. and I dont get how anyone no matter how big the BB fan could think its even a half good lp, same w ktsa...one or two rockin tunes and the rest MOR-AOR cmon.

Lots of people - myself included - like MOR and AOR.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #885 on: May 24, 2015, 07:06:20 PM »

If completed, I doubt Smile would even make my top 5 BB albums list.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Matt Etherton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: May 24, 2015, 07:40:20 PM »

My unpopular opinions:

1. Endless Summer gave the group a career that otherwise would have dwindled down by the late 70's.
2. Said album was nearly perfect.
3. Kokomo was and is a fantastic hit single.
4. If SMiLE was canceled because of "Mikes additude", than Brian was a wimp.
5. Most everything after Good Vibrations was mediocure, except for about a dozen tracks.
6. Brian can't hit any notes correctly.
7. Stan Love was a good guy.
8. Dennis Wilson was an out of control maniac who wasn't a good guy.
9. Carl Wilson was an a-hole to Brian for many years.
10. Brians melodys without lyrics from Usher/Love/Christiansen would have been largely unheard.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: May 24, 2015, 07:46:46 PM »

My unpopular opinions:

Gotta say man I take issue with this one, it's your opinion I'll give you that but what are you basing this on?
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #888 on: May 24, 2015, 07:54:46 PM »

If the BBs weren't album artists than neither were the beatles or anyone else, so what does that mean???
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #889 on: May 24, 2015, 08:02:48 PM »

The beach boys were/are a rock band, the Light album minus shortenin bread & Ktsa minus the title song and school days are watered down mediocrity, I mean come on! At least MIU has some rockers; no brian.on the ligh album, no dennis on.ktsa...think about it, it was a "light" album as in light fluff, and ktsa geeze. The beach boys were masters of THE album from 63 to 73 then.after that it was all bout the touring and the preservation of nostalgia.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: May 24, 2015, 09:17:42 PM »

My unpopular opinions:

1. Endless Summer gave the group a career that otherwise would have dwindled down by the late 70's.
5. Most everything after Good Vibrations was mediocure, except for about a dozen tracks.
10. Brians melodys without lyrics from Usher/Love/Christiansen would have been largely unheard.

Mike Love, welcome to the Smiley Smile Board!

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #891 on: May 24, 2015, 09:30:59 PM »

If the BBs weren't album artists than neither were the beatles or anyone else, so what does that mean???

Their album output largely sucked, thats what it means. When they made great, internally consistent albums it was either because Brian was hard at work with a vision and support or a fluke. Most of their albums are inconsistent quality-wise, very short compared to their contemporaries and reliant on SMiLE material for any kind of WOW factor.

Why is the Beatles everyone's go-to? THERES OTHER BANDS. And that's not true. I'd argue Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Jefferson Airplane, the Who, the Doors and many others were album artists in that they consistently released great albums with a sense of unity between the songs as well as a certain quality standard among the songs whereas most BB albums to me sound more like a hodgepodge with the exception of those I listed in my original post.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #892 on: May 24, 2015, 09:31:46 PM »

My unpopular opinions:

Mike Love, welcome to the Smiley Smile Board!

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #893 on: May 24, 2015, 09:35:13 PM »

Here's mine:

See I don't think this is true, in essence we got SMiLE sure but it will always be overshadowed by what it could have/should have/would have been. There is no questions behind Pet Sounds, it is what it is. Pet Sounds is the greatest piece of whole music Brian ever put down and it is hard to question it when put against the mesh-pot that SMiLE became/is. I think Brian Wilson will always be synonymous with the completed Pet Sounds and not the fragmented SMiLE

Thats part of the reason I think it will live on in a way Pet Sounds cant. Just the mythos of it, the mystery, how Brian's fall and redemption are tied to its cancellation and BWPS. SMiLE is his music, his story, his take on the world in many ways. Pet Sounds is a masterpiece and a finished one at that, but there's something very tantalizing and haunting about the SMiLE story and music that I think will overshadow it in peoples minds given enough time. Kinda like Mozart's requiem.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: May 25, 2015, 04:00:51 AM »

Can't remember if I've posted on this thread yet.

1 Surfin' Safari is a pretty good album, not at all deserving of being consigned with their worst 80s/90s material as it often is.

2 I can't be bothered with new stereo mixes,  live tracks that aren't that different from the studio versions,  alternative takes that don't have significant differences, etc.

3 Concert is their best live album because it has the most unique material and more youthful vigour. None of the tracks on In Concert improve on the originals and some of them desecrate them.

4 Dennis's solo stuff is boring

remember the premise of the thread before taking umbrage!

Please delete my account
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #895 on: May 25, 2015, 04:14:31 AM »

Carl's vocal on Wild Honey is painful for me to listen to because he is straining so fucking hard.
It sounds as if that song is at the very top of his range and, in fact, I believe Brian confirmed that notion (though I have no link).

I actually loved Carl's strain on the blue-eyed psych Soul of Wild Honey. In the day, I much preferred WH to GV. I mean I appreciated GV as an achievement of the head but WH was in the gut to me.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: May 25, 2015, 04:34:26 AM »

Can't remember if I've posted on this thread yet.

1 Surfin' Safari is a pretty good album, not at all deserving of being consigned with their worst 80s/90s material as it often is.

2 I can't be bothered with new stereo mixes,  live tracks that aren't that different from the studio versions,  alternative takes that don't have significant differences, etc.

3 Concert is their best live album because it has the most unique material and more youthful vigour. None of the tracks on In Concert improve on the originals and some of them desecrate them.

4 Dennis's solo stuff is boring

remember the premise of the thread before taking umbrage!

1 - Disagree, the band were nowhere near ready to cut an album, both material wise and performance wise.
2 - Agree.
3 - Agree that Concert has much unique material in it's choice of covers and I LOVE the performance of Papa Oom Mow Mow. Disagree with the second part of your comment because I think the version of Marcella vastly improves on the studio cut. I'm not a fan of what they did to Help Me Rhonda though.
4- Partially agree. I skip several songs on POB and have never got all the way through the Bambu sessions in one sitting.

Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #897 on: May 25, 2015, 06:50:17 AM »

Runaway Dancer is a great song and closest thing resembling a hit single Brian has written since maybe Do It Again.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #898 on: May 25, 2015, 07:32:06 AM »

Runaway Dancer is a great song and closest thing resembling a hit single Brian has written since maybe Do It Again.

Yeah if it was 1981.

clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #899 on: May 25, 2015, 07:42:14 AM »

Carl Wilson, as a creative artist, was a massive disappointment.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx