gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:58:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348092 times)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #825 on: March 25, 2015, 01:48:45 AM »

Re: "The Letter" - Joe Cocker does a much better version than both the Beach Boys and the original. Check it out if you haven't already.
Done - nothing special, much of it thanks to Joe's horrid singing/voice. He totally wrecked the beautiful "With a Little Help from My Friends"<< btw, we have lots of things in common with Brian<< favorite song on Sgt. Pepper being it is one of them. Cool, ain't it? 3D

"Talk to Me", I don't like the melody.

The Box Tops version of The Letter cannot be topped. But Cocker's version of WALHFMF is brilliant.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: March 25, 2015, 10:12:07 PM »

I'm not 100% convinced that Mike had a hand in writing the lyrics all of the songs he sued over in the early 1990's.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #827 on: March 26, 2015, 02:07:12 AM »

Brian wasted his talent.

Substitute "potential" for "talent" and that might be a notion worthy of anything other than immediate dismissal. Just maybe. Brian's talent was stifled, but luckily for us he has more than the average bear.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #828 on: March 26, 2015, 04:46:48 AM »

Mike Love should cover Sex Over The Phone by Village People.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hYtUYiuzkw
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 05:12:43 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #829 on: March 26, 2015, 05:49:03 AM »

Mike Love should cover Sex Over The Phone by Village People.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hYtUYiuzkw
LOL what'a random suggestion. yah Mike should cover it, & in the music video he can be calling Bruce.

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: March 26, 2015, 06:08:47 AM »

I'm not 100% convinced that Mike had a hand in writing the lyrics all of the songs he sued over in the early 1990's.

Mike did have to prove his claims in court to a preponderance of the evidence. I don't know if this is what you meant but I don't think he claimed he deserved all credit for all lyrics on the disputed songs, just some credit. Doesn't a 1990ish Goldmineish interview have Mike describing his only partial contributions to some of the disputed songs?

Edit: It was the September 18 1992 issue of Goldmine.

Also BBs scholar Brad Elliott claimed on PSML that documentation shows Mike possibly didn't always get his full credit on the undisputed songs he had been credited on. Credit for only half of the lyrics on GV I think for instance and also Tony Asher claims he wasn't fully credited for his lyrics and music either. As I'm sure you know too, Van Dyke Parks was left off of a few of songs for which he claims he deserved credit. So it seems it wasn't just Mike and it wasn't an uncommon thing to be left off of the song credit in the early years of the group and or have your due credit given later.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 09:39:40 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: March 26, 2015, 07:49:04 AM »

Mike did have to prove his claims in court to a preponderance of the evidence. I don't know if this is what you meant but I don't think he claimed he deserved all credit for all lyrics on the disputed songs, just some credit. Doesn't a 1990ish Goldmineish interview have Mike describing his only partial contributions to some of the disputed songs?

Not familiar with the article but that sounds right in the timeline.

Also BBs scholar Brad Elliott claimed on PSML that documentation shows Mike possibly didn't always get his full credit on the undisputed songs he had been credited on. Credit for only half of the lyrics on GV I think for instance and also Tony Asher claims he wasn't fully credited for his lyrics and music either. As I'm sure you know too, Van Dyke Parks was left off of a few of songs for which he claims he deserved credit. So it seems it wasn't just Mike and it wasn't an uncommon thing to be left off of the song credit in the early years of the group and or have your due credit given later.

I had heard that Tony wrote lyrics that went unused for the single version.  The bulk of the lyrics on the single version that was issued in '66 were Mike's.  But the original 45 single label shows (BrianWilson-Mike Love) so I'm not sure why Mike would have disputed it.  Tony's lyrics were reincorporated into the song for BWPS.  That's my understanding, anyway.

When I made the statement I made I'm specifically thinking of a song like say..."Kiss Me, Baby".  Later re-credited as Brian Wilson-Mike Love.  Original 45 single label just says Brian Wilson.  Again, just personal opinion, but none of that song says 'Mike Love wuz here'.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #832 on: March 26, 2015, 08:29:35 AM »

Not familiar with the article but that sounds right in the timeline.

I had heard that Tony wrote lyrics that went unused for the single version.  The bulk of the lyrics on the single version that was issued in '66 were Mike's.  But the original 45 single label shows (BrianWilson-Mike Love) so I'm not sure why Mike would have disputed it.  Tony's lyrics were reincorporated into the song for BWPS.  That's my understanding, anyway.

When I made the statement I made I'm specifically thinking of a song like say..."Kiss Me, Baby".  Later re-credited as Brian Wilson-Mike Love.  Original 45 single label just says Brian Wilson.  Again, just personal opinion, but none of that song says 'Mike Love wuz here'.

Edit: It was the September 18 1992 issue of Goldmine

Sorry for the confusion, I didn't mean Mike had disputed his credit on GV. I meant even though Mike and Tony got credit it wasn't as much credit as they claim they should have gotten. Ie. Tony got only half credit for lyrics across the board and Mike also only got half credit for GV which both he and Brian (I believe) have said Mike wrote all of the lyrics. As far as I know Mike did not dispute any credit he had previously been given, even if it might have been less credit than he actually deserved.

I get you on KMB and I suppose I'm just expressing my unpopular Beach Boys opinion too but Mike did have to present evidence in court for his claim(s) on KMB and he didn't necessarily claim he wrote all of the lyrics.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 09:42:09 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #833 on: March 27, 2015, 05:15:11 AM »

The Box Tops version of The Letter cannot be topped. But Cocker's version of WALHFMF is brilliant.
Oh, of course it can. police I sure don't hold an old-school 'classic' opinion that "original is always better than any cover". Nope, it isn't. As for "Little Help", I loathe Joe Cocker's voice, thus, anything he sings is mega-bad by default.

Recently heard "Oh Darlin'" with Brian on lead - totes superior than KTSA. It has slight melodic difference on the bridge, which sounds really good. Never much cared for that Carl/Mike/Bruce trio kitsch.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #834 on: March 27, 2015, 08:40:49 PM »

Think about this- there isnt a single other group in the past half century with two dozen albums, half of em being quintessential classics, two dozen hit singles thatre known worldwide...even the beatles only had less than a dozen albums and songs that are all in just a six yr period.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #835 on: March 27, 2015, 10:08:04 PM »

Think about this- there isnt a single other group in the past half century with two dozen albums, half of em being quintessential classics, two dozen hit singles thatre known worldwide...even the beatles only had less than a dozen albums and songs that are all in just a six yr period.

I'm not the world's biggest Rolling Stones fan, but I think they would also count for that.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #836 on: March 28, 2015, 02:05:47 PM »

I don't know how unpopular this opinion is, but I'm sure someone will disagree: Brian's best 4 albums are Pet Sounds, SMiLE (either version), Love You, and That Lucky Old Sun. And I do consider Pet Sounds, SMiLE, and Love You all as much solo efforts as That Lucky Old Sun.

As for my reasoning, I think that those 4 albums in particular best represent Brian in all of his different stages and styles. And, for me at least, it's highly likely No Pier Pressure makes it a top 5.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 02:07:32 PM by Rocket » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 28, 2015, 02:14:17 PM »

I don't know how unpopular this opinion is, but I'm sure someone will disagree: Brian's best 4 albums are Pet Sounds, SMiLE (either version), Love You, and That Lucky Old Sun. And I do consider Pet Sounds, SMiLE, and Love You all as much solo efforts as That Lucky Old Sun.

As for my reasoning, I think that those 4 albums in particular best represent Brian in all of his different stages and styles. And, for me at least, it's highly likely No Pier Pressure makes it a top 5.
I always enjoy seeing TLOS named among the more stone-cold BW classics. It was my favourite BW solo record for a long time. TLOS is a potpourri of seasoned and inspired BW music with a theme that was quintessential to everything the man stands for. It will never grow old for me.
Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 28, 2015, 02:22:46 PM »

I always enjoy seeing TLOS named among the more stone-cold BW classics. It was my favourite BW solo record for a long time. TLOS is a potpourri of seasoned and inspired BW music with a theme that was quintessential to everything the man stands for. It will never grow old for me.

Glad to see another fan of TLOS! Such an underrated album. The first time I heard it I knew it would be a favorite of mine. There's amazing songwriting all over that record.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 28, 2015, 02:39:39 PM »

Glad to see another fan of TLOS! Such an underrated album. The first time I heard it I knew it would be a favorite of mine. There's amazing songwriting all over that record.
Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: March 28, 2015, 03:51:30 PM »

Scott!  Grin

Hopefully he and Brian can make another album together one day. He's one of Brian's best collaborators.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: April 01, 2015, 03:29:18 PM »

I'm not the world's biggest Rolling Stones fan, but I think they would also count for that.

I am and they do.  There is no band that has turned out more consistently high quality releases over now 6 decades.  Who knew they would actually turn out to be The World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band, bar none.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 03:30:39 PM by job » Logged
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: April 01, 2015, 03:45:28 PM »

I couldn't agree more! I would add adult/child as my 5th, the talent on display on all these albums is immense.

I'm not sure if I'm stealing this phrase as I've read so much but I feel the Love You, Adult/Child is like Rembrant drawing stick men. When coupled with his orchestral works it creates such a range.

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
bluesno1fann
« Reply #843 on: April 01, 2015, 04:49:20 PM »

Oh, of course it can. police I sure don't hold an old-school 'classic' opinion that "original is always better than any cover". Nope, it isn't. As for "Little Help", I loathe Joe Cocker's voice, thus, anything he sings is mega-bad by default.

Recently heard "Oh Darlin'" with Brian on lead - totes superior than KTSA. It has slight melodic difference on the bridge, which sounds really good. Never much cared for that Carl/Mike/Bruce trio kitsch.

I'm sure in the case of The Letter, I'm not in the minority. That's not to say The Beach Boys cover is bad, in fact it's very good. But you can't top a classic.

In case you were wondering, I don't think the original is necessarily the best in every case. The Stones, The Yardbirds and The Animals all did covers that are generally considered to be superior to the original, and I nearly always prefer covers of Bob Dylan, for I loathe his voice.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 12:04:19 AM by BAmBU Dennis » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: April 02, 2015, 04:11:02 AM »

I'm sure in the case of The Letter, I'm not in the minority.
Well, the whole planet could fawn over that version - I wouldn't give a fig.

That's not to say The Beach Boys cover is bad, in fact it's very good.
"Very good" indeed.

But you can't top a classic.
Depends.

The Stones, The Yardbirds and The Animals all did covers that are generally considered to be superior to the original
Again, I don't care what's considered generally. I have very strong opinions on what I like & don't, thus, the Box Tops version is absolute dreck.

Bob Dylan, for I loathe his voice.
Sign under.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #845 on: April 02, 2015, 07:19:27 AM »

I'm sure in the case of The Letter, I'm not in the minority.
Well, the whole planet could fawn over that version - I wouldn't give a fig.

That's not to say The Beach Boys cover is bad, in fact it's very good.
"Very good" indeed.

But you can't top a classic.
Depends.

The Stones, The Yardbirds and The Animals all did covers that are generally considered to be superior to the original
Again, I don't care what's considered generally. I have very strong opinions on what I like & don't, thus, the Box Tops version is absolute dreck.

Bob Dylan, for I loathe his voice.
Sign under.

Okay... well what don't you like about The Box Tops version?
WesB8302
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm thinkin' bout this whole world...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #846 on: April 02, 2015, 07:58:54 AM »

After finding a fairly nice copy of it while record shopping this past weekend in Memphis and giving it a couple of listens, M.I.U. isn't a bad album.  It's not Today or Pet Sounds, but it's not bad at all.  I like it better overall than 15 Big Ones, which I also picked up last weekend.

HELP!  I can't find the "Any" key....
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: April 02, 2015, 08:55:46 PM »

Okay... well what don't you like about The Box Tops version?
Like everything? There are some "transition" voices that work but Alex had grating voice as a youngin'.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: April 03, 2015, 01:14:39 AM »

I actually prefer Alex's rough voice over his later Roger McGuinn impressions.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: April 03, 2015, 07:20:22 AM »

Sweet Insanity should have been released - it's better than Brian's first solo effort.

I prefer BWPS to the released Smile a couple of years ago

Love You and Adult/Child are some of Brian's best work

Sunflower is boring

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx