gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:24:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348226 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #800 on: February 12, 2014, 10:01:51 AM »

Mike and Bruce should continue to tour but with a new name....perhaps "Mike Love and Bruce Johnston's Beach Review" or something similar.     Whoever made the decision to let Mike use the name after Carl Died and Al was fired made a bad call probably based on greed.   The only time Beach Boys should be used is if it's the entire 2012 lineup on stage or in a studio.  

I think they should tour under the name "Totten and Nasty Business." It makes a lot of sense really. I'd like him as a front man.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 10:07:50 AM by Woodstock » Logged

Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #801 on: March 02, 2014, 02:47:37 AM »

Problem Child is not half bad. It sounds a bit like Walking On Sunshine and is better than Summer In Paradise.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #802 on: March 02, 2014, 03:35:50 AM »

I find myself listening to Surfin' Safari more than Surfin' USA (I'm talking about the albums, not the title tracks. Though the same thing would apply to that as well).

WIBNTLA IMHO is a much better song than Breakaway.

I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but Al is my favourite Beach Boy that isn't a Wilson Brother.

Looking Back With Love is worse than Going Public. Much worse. Not even a contest.

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: March 02, 2014, 04:47:41 AM »

Breakaway doesn't work as a single AT ALL. It wouldn't be a hit in 1965, 1976 or 1969. Great track though.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: March 02, 2014, 09:50:19 AM »

Breakaway doesn't work as a single AT ALL. It wouldn't be a hit in 1965, 1976 or 1969. Great track though.

It was a hit in the U.K. and elsewhere. #10 or # 6.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #805 on: March 03, 2014, 02:02:02 AM »

Looking Back With Love is worse than Going Public. Much worse. Not even a contest.

Haven't heard Going Pubic, but Looking Back With Love is a masterpiece in it's own universe where nothing else exists.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #806 on: March 03, 2014, 03:38:50 AM »

Looking Back With Love is a masterpiece in it's own universe where nothing else exists.
Is it? You must have written out 2 members of the board who are avid fans of this album - Juice Bronston & SIP Mike. I'm still in amazement of their taste but, well, it's their right to like what they like.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #807 on: March 03, 2014, 04:40:17 AM »

Looking Back With Love is a masterpiece in it's own universe where nothing else exists.
Is it? You must have written out 2 members of the board who are avid fans of this album - Juice Bronston & SIP Mike. I'm still in amazement of their taste but, well, it's their right to like what they like.
Seriously, I'd give it a 2,5/5 rating. It's really not that bad. It's laughably funny and that's why it's good. Plus there are couple songs that are actually good.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #808 on: March 03, 2014, 04:48:41 AM »

* I don't mind '80s production on BB85, BW88, and SC.  Also don't mind the AOR sound of Imagination.

Now if you'll excuse me I'll retreat back to my corner now and await the incoming tomatoes.   Grin

I sort of like how it was called "the greatest comeback of all time" by some guy in some documentary on Brian Wilson. IMO it's a very mediocre effort. Too many rewrites.

If you're talking the 1988 comeback: I think it suffers from what were the 'production values' of the '80s. Many albums share that affliction.

That said: it had great songs and mediocre ones, that just won't stay in one's mind, not memorable enough. The album was hailed as a superb comeback showcase, because we all wanted it to be that, desperately so. The story about BW having climbed out of a potentially lethal situation was so good, so uplifting, so inspirational... there just wasn't any other option, in terms of expectation, and also in terms of judgment, once we'd heard it.

Let's not forget that 'Melt Away', 'One For The Boys', 'There's So Many' are very good (despite, as I said, the pretty lifeless, overblown production, I think Landy and Lynne controlled that mostly, with Waronker and Brian not having too much clout there). And that 'Love And Mercy' has become a true BW standard, a classic.

But 'Walking The Line', 'Let Your Hair Grow Long', 'Night Time'... quite forgettable. Not bad, not good. And not catchy.

As for me, the jury is still out (for 26 years now) on 'Rio Grande'. It is long, it is ambitious, it reminds one of 'Cabinessence' (the chants, the campfire stuff, the 'historical' feel, the modular approach); but whereas 'Cabinessence' to this listener was the result of some divine inspiration, not very self-conscious, 'Rio Grande' as a whole sounds strained, constructed, overplanned, the result of hyper-selfconsciousness, as if Landy had coaxed Brian with the words: write something in the vein of SMiLE, Brian, I know you can do it, your must overcome that hurdle and you must return to the real me you used to be!

But that is not to say that I don't like that waltzy, surf-balladry section enormously ('she's waiting for me on the other side', remember that? 'wow-wow-wow-wow-wow-wow... yay-yay-yay-yay-he-heeee'... *sigh, if only he'd reserved it for a song all of its own...*).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 09:11:00 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #809 on: March 03, 2014, 04:52:43 AM »

Plus there are couple songs that are actually good.
You mean the last downtempo songs? I suppose so because it's what most people seem to like on the album, even Mr. Doe (aka The Legendary AGD). As for me, my faves are Over & Over & Runnin' Around the World.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #810 on: March 03, 2014, 05:02:37 AM »

Plus there are couple songs that are actually good.
You mean the last downtempo songs? I suppose so because it's what most people seem to like on the album, even Mr. Doe (aka The Legendary AGD). As for me, my faves are Over & Over & Runnin' Around the World.
Yep, and I personally like the Be My Baby cover too.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #811 on: March 03, 2014, 06:33:51 AM »

This may not be that unpopular opinion, but anyway, I think that the time from Dennis' death '83 to Carl's death '98 is the most damaging and embarassing to the whole Beach Boys legacy. Beach Boys kinda died with Carl, or actually the real Beach Boys died in '83, after that it was just a tired show. It's just a huge step down from '83 to '84. And after that it just goes downhill. Mike turns into a patriotic looking idiot, they all start sound and look tired so they put half-naked girls + John Stamos fooling around the stage and think that that makes it good. It's hard to even watch those 90's shows. They are just so bad. At least Mike and Bruce are doing a lot better these days, I don't feel embarrassed watching their performances from last year for example. And I'd go see John Cowshill on drums anyday, in any band.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #812 on: March 03, 2014, 08:00:05 AM »

I really think it does work as a single and I don't understand why it wasn't a huge hit. Although it's not as upbeat lyrically, I hear the same kind of energy and drive in that song that I hear in I Get Around and Wouldn't It Be Nice.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #813 on: March 03, 2014, 09:42:41 AM »

Brian wasted his talent.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #814 on: March 03, 2014, 10:09:49 AM »

Brian wasted his talent.

Not too sure about that. Sure, he could've remained a bit more productive a bit longer. But of all of the great pop songwriters of the 1960, how many actually did keep making really great music throughout the 1970s, let alone the 1980s? And still, we got 40 studio albums from Brian and The Beach Boys and about 25-30 of those are between pretty decent and extremely good. That's not a bad score at all.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #815 on: March 03, 2014, 10:17:04 AM »

Brian wasted his talent.

Assuming this isn't some black joke -

he did not. He is an artist blessed with an enormous natural talent (and he worked very hard to shape and refine that talent). And he suffered and suffers from mental illness; he is not 'mad' or 'gaga' or 'a nutcase', as the vulgar vox pop often expresses it, to belittle and insult people like him; IMHO he has been traumatized in his youth, and later on in life he's often been approached in all of the wrongest of wrong ways by insensitive people with no natural instinct for such matters at all. Hence the mental problems - and the combination of being extremely gifted and psychiatric disease is not an unknown one; only recently I looked up the biography of John Forbes Nash, the brilliant game theorist and mathematician with a huge interest in problems that have to do with making choices (and the subject of the movie: 'A Beautiful Mind', incidentally). Nash suffered from severe schizophrenia for decades, a tragedy, he had delusions, psychotic episodes. But he also has a strong instinct for survival.

So, considering the above: Brian certainly did not waste his talent. He was dealt a certain deck of cards, a certain fate, so to speak, and IMHO he bravely fought his way through.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: March 20, 2014, 01:41:34 PM »

Bruce really annoys me these days. He just seems so faceless. Ever since I read a bit in Peter Carlin's book Catch a Wave about Bruce telling Mike in an email (paraphrasing it) "You really love doing this. It's all/only business to me", I can't look at him the same. I've tried hard, since I think besides Brian and Dennis he's the best songwriter, and a great one really, I just cringe now whenever I see him. I try to say "Oh he's only havin fun, being an old silly man", but I don't really get a fun feeling when I look at him with his shorts and his hat and the fact that he's with Mike Love while Al & David are sticking with Brian. I don't know. I really wanna like Bruce nowadays. But he just annoys me. I might write a song called "Brupublicans (1971)" to express my nostalgic feelings over the old Bruce.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: March 20, 2014, 01:59:43 PM »

I might write a song called "Brupublicans (1971)" to express my nostalgic feelings over the old Bruce.
I would love a song about that.  Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: March 20, 2014, 02:09:30 PM »

I might write a song called "Brupublicans (1971)" to express my nostalgic feelings over the old Bruce.
I would love a song about that.  Grin

"I got tears in the morning now
The old Bruce has gone
He sang on California Girls
He wrote the songs
Moustache or no moustache
It's all the same
But now it's all just business to him
Who's to blame?
Reality is not funny
It ain't fun fun fun
Since the old Bruce went away
And turned into this one"

I was feeling the Mike Love influence, with the whole referencing every old song I could think of  Grin

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #819 on: March 20, 2014, 02:37:34 PM »

When I caught the band during the C50 I was so glad the ticketing system booked my seat in front of Brian rather than Bruce. I can't explain it but watching Brian being Brian while tinkering on the piano, add backing vocals when he wanted or really have to work on his leads, was far more enjoyable than seeing Bruce do his shtick.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #820 on: March 23, 2015, 10:46:57 PM »

"Hold on Dear Brother". A good R&B song, but when I heard Nat Ruess, I thought it was good at 1st, but it didn't live up 'n' now it is bad. Well, maybe not "bad" bad, but "not good" bad. Either way, it is pleasant surprise.

Besides, no love for POB. I don't even listen to few favorites.

kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #821 on: March 24, 2015, 02:25:40 AM »

Some people are gonna have input about the BBs thats skewed but the fact of the matter is exactly that, THE facts. That they are THE biggest selling, most influential and most crucial/important rock group in the history of American pop culture. Yeah their first couple years they adhered to a shtick with the surf/car songs but starting with In my room and on with CA Girls, the flawless albums of Surfer Girl, All Summer Long, Today, Summer Days, of course Pet Sounds....the pioneers of psychedelic rock with Smiley Smile, masterpieces like Sunflower and then definitive "prog rock" like Surfs Up and Holland. Yeah by the mid 70s their mark was pretty much solidified and then their great post-Pet Sounds works were undermined by the new age of nostalgia but its beyond crucial an influence that goes above&beyond ANYTHING! What irks me is the 'hipsters' that isolate Pet Sounds and undermine the five great albums prior and the six great albums after...if Holland had been their last album I really doubt history would be that different bur the.TRUE zealots/pundits know the truth and any/every enthusiasts of quality music will always be there to preserve their output, whether it be the content of Endless Summer or the underrated prog era.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: March 24, 2015, 09:53:00 PM »

I'm gonna frequent this topic.

Almost every cover is better than authentic material

- "The Letter" (not even close)
- "Cindy Oh Cindy" (they did it punchier)
- "Sloop John B"
- "Seasons in the Sun"
- "Let's Go Trippin'" live (and someone questions Carl cannot rock? What with silly debates "No, Carl was a mere teenager, it can't be him on "What'd I Say"" blah blah blah Roll Eyes)
- "Hot Fun in the Summertime"

etc. etc.

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #823 on: March 24, 2015, 10:24:39 PM »

I'm gonna frequent this topic.

Almost every cover is better than authentic material

- "The Letter" (not even close)
- "Cindy Oh Cindy" (they did it punchier)
- "Sloop John B"
- "Seasons in the Sun"
- "Let's Go Trippin'" live (and someone questions Carl cannot rock? What with silly debates "No, Carl was a mere teenager, it can't be him on "What'd I Say"" blah blah blah Roll Eyes)
- "Hot Fun in the Summertime"

etc. etc.

One original that blows the Beach Boys one away is "Talk to Me" - Little Willie John's version is MILES better.

Re: "The Letter" - Joe Cocker does a much better version than both the Beach Boys and the original. Check it out if you haven't already.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #824 on: March 24, 2015, 11:09:08 PM »

Re: "The Letter" - Joe Cocker does a much better version than both the Beach Boys and the original. Check it out if you haven't already.
Done - nothing special, much of it thanks to Joe's horrid singing/voice. He totally wrecked the beautiful "With a Little Help from My Friends"<< btw, we have lots of things in common with Brian<< favorite song on Sgt. Pepper being it is one of them. Cool, ain't it? 3D

"Talk to Me", I don't like the melody.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx