gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:56:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348117 times)
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: February 02, 2014, 01:12:18 PM »

I like the Yarrows' version of "Surfer Girl" better than the Beach Boys'.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
bluesno1fann
« Reply #776 on: February 02, 2014, 02:21:42 PM »

As for Fun, Fun, Fun, I just simply never liked it. There's just something about that song which is unbearable for me. Like I remember the first time I heard that song, which was at a 50's diner. It put me off the BB's for a while. I don't have to like every hit song they had.

You certainly don't, but I don't see what the point of trying to continually convince others it's a bad or "overrated" song, especially if you won't even go into why you don't like it in any greater detail.  In terms of discussion it's a non-starter.

I wasn't trying to convince anyone. I was just stating my opinion

Hey, here's another unpopular opinion. People can like what they like, it doesn't really matter.

Agreed
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: February 02, 2014, 07:22:31 PM »

I don't listen to POB.     just always find BB material I'd rather hear

Joe Thomas has been a positive for BW and the Beach Boys, all things considered.

Vocals on the song Wild Honey  leave me cold.  Even CW.

Finally, I'm not alone!

Dennis is Ok. But, that's it for me. No big revelation compared to the full group.

Hate auto tune all you want, but, at least for now, Brian needs Joe Thomas. Without him, no C50, no TWGMTR. I wouldn't have wanted to miss that.

Wild Honey makes me hurt. I hear Carl's vocal cords shredding into a bloody pulp,  and that's not a good thing.

Now, for my own unpopular opinions:

The early stuff is good stuff. So what if it's about cars, and surfing and girls? Having fun is a part of life that is just as important as agonizing over lost love. Some people just need to get out on a sunny day, drop the top on a convertible, pop those tunes in, and cruise along the ocean/lake/river. It's freeing. Really.

Carl's voice is great, but, for me, it's not the best in the band. Brian's is. Brian had a pure, clear tone, especially in his falsetto. Carl started that way, but began to overlay some vibrato as he took on more solos, and I sometimes find that distracting.

I really don't like Al's attempts at Brian's falsetto parts.

The Beach Boys never became irrelevant. They survived when other bands from the period died. The focus of their relevance changed, but they continue to have relevance to this day. Otherwise, we wouldn't be here talking about them.

Oh, and Barbara Ann is fun.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 07:24:52 PM by Cyncie » Logged
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: February 02, 2014, 08:29:06 PM »

The musical sections from Mount Vernon and Fairway/'Fairy Tale Music' is the greatest thing Brian has ever done. I think it would have been his greatest musical feat if, instead of making a 10 minute fairytale, he created a whole album out of the songs from Mount Vernon (as well as other songs he had written at the time.)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: February 02, 2014, 08:39:14 PM »

Oh yeah. There is some damn fine snippets in that piece. Has there ever been a version without the narrative?
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: February 02, 2014, 08:41:11 PM »

Oh yeah. There is some damn fine snippets in that piece. Has there ever been a version without the narrative?
Here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ0hrRM4B4Q
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: February 02, 2014, 11:25:25 PM »

I think that "California Saga" sucks and drags the Holland album down a major notch. The Fairytale sucks too. Everything else is great including "We Got Love" (which should have been on there!) and especially "The Trader". "Only With You" has a beautiful yet understated string arrangement. The middle part of "Leaving This Town" (synth solo) reminds me of early 70's Pink Floyd in a way (and that is a good thing). Actually Holland is kind of a boring album that although is considered one of their finer albums pales in comparison to the previous album (So Tough) where every song is excellent.

How is that for an unpopular opinion?

Oddly enough, the Big Sur part of Saga popped up on shuffle today; I hadn't heard it for sometime and was reminded again what a great song I think it is. I love the whole Holland album, including the Fairytale which I consider Brian's last gasp of true genius.

Even if Love You isn't true genius, it's at least great pop music. Superb melodies.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: February 02, 2014, 11:26:21 PM »

Here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ0hrRM4B4Q

Thanks! Now in my iTunes list. Grin
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: February 03, 2014, 02:44:28 AM »

Has there ever been a version without the narrative?
I honestly thought you were joking until your iTunes comment. Wow, it must've been really great to hear it for the 1st time! Not that I got tired of it, esp. wonderful, amazing, utterly charming beauty that is "Radio King Dom".

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: February 03, 2014, 12:31:02 PM »

Yes that was the first time. I'm not a completest by any stretch so box sets have never really been a priority. My loss I know although Spotify has been good in that respect, plus I have purchased a lot on iTunes because of that free initial exposure. A win-win!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #785 on: February 06, 2014, 06:17:05 PM »

Carl Wilson was a better songwriter than Mike Love IMHO
And I've always found Carl to be one of the more boring BB's members, mainly because he was so normal  LOL

And I like Tears In The Morning. No, it's not the worst track off Sunflower!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: February 06, 2014, 09:09:47 PM »

I honestly love "Why Don't They Let Us Fall in Love?"

"A one.. a two.. a one two three four-wait... a two.. a one two three four"
bluesno1fann
« Reply #787 on: February 08, 2014, 02:05:41 AM »

I'm not sure if this is unpopular, but I'll add it anyway:

My two favourite Bruce Johnston songs are both instrumentals
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: February 09, 2014, 03:21:55 AM »

And I've always found Carl to be one of the more boring BB's members, mainly because he was so normal  LOL
I wouldn't say he was boring. According to those who'd met him, Carl had a great sense of humor & was surely fun to be with, often going for deadpan style.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #789 on: February 09, 2014, 03:23:54 AM »

And I've always found Carl to be one of the more boring BB's members, mainly because he was so normal  LOL
I wouldn't say he was boring. According to those who'd met him, Carl had a great sense of humor & was surely fun to be with, often going for deadpan style.

I meant that Carl isn't as fascinating or interesting as Brian or Dennis or even Mike, Bruce or David
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:43:41 AM by Little Bird, Right in a Tree... » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: February 09, 2014, 03:28:47 AM »

I meant that Carl isn't as fascinating or interesting as Brian or Dennis or even Mike or Bruce
What's fascinating or interesting about the latter? Just interested to know.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #791 on: February 09, 2014, 03:30:55 AM »

I meant that Carl isn't as fascinating or interesting as Brian or Dennis or even Mike or Bruce
What's fascinating or interesting about the latter? Just interested to know.

His life, and what he's been through, and the people he's worked with.

I swear if one of the BB's put out a proper autobiography, it would be Bruce's that would be the most interesting
WesB8302
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm thinkin' bout this whole world...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #792 on: February 10, 2014, 01:53:33 PM »

I don't post a lot here, but I'll contribute some of mine as well....

* Not a fan of a lot of Dennis' material, especially 4th of July.  Just doesn't do anything for me, too sparse.

* I actually like the BB '85 album.  It was the first CD I ever purchased. Still like to pull it out and listen occasionally.

* Ditto for Kokomo (bought the Cocktail soundtrack just to have it) and the Still Cruisin' album (wore a couple of cassette copies out!).

* I also liked all of TWGMTR.  My almost 9 year old LOVES "Beaches In Mind" and "Spring Vacation", and my two oldest (almost 9, 7) both love "Isn't It Time" and the title track.  I like 'em all!

* I don't mind '80s production on BB85, BW88, and SC.  Also don't mind the AOR sound of Imagination.

Now if you'll excuse me I'll retreat back to my corner now and await the incoming tomatoes.   Grin
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 01:56:14 PM by WesB8302 » Logged

HELP!  I can't find the "Any" key....
bluesno1fann
« Reply #793 on: February 10, 2014, 01:59:03 PM »

I don't post a lot here, but I'll contribute some of mine as well....

* Not a fan of a lot of Dennis' material, especially 4th of July.  Just doesn't do anything for me, too sparse.

* I actually like the BB '85 album.  It was the first CD I ever purchased. Still like to pull it out and listen occasionally.

* Ditto for Kokomo (bought the Cocktail soundtrack just to have it) and the Still Cruisin' album (wore a couple of cassette copies out!).

* I also liked all of TWGMTR.  My almost 9 year old LOVES "Beaches In Mind" and "Spring Vacation", and my two oldest both love "Isn't It Time" and the title track.  I like 'em all!

* I don't mind '80s production on BB85, BW88, and SC.  Also don't mind the AOR sound of Imagination.

Now if you'll excuse me I'll retreat back to my corner now and await the incoming tomatoes.   Grin

Disagree with the Dennis part, agree with 4th Of July.
Love the '85 album. Still cannot understand it's sheer unpopularity around here!
Disagree with Kokomo, agree to an extent for the Still Cruisin' album.
To an extent, agreed with TWGMTR, Beaches In Mind and Daybreak Over The Ocean aside.
This is probably why I like those 3 albums more than most people, I seem to have a high tolerance for 80's production. On the other hand I lack tolerance for most of Today's production  LOL. So yeah, Agreed. Not too sure about Imagination as I'm not quite familiar with that album yet.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: February 10, 2014, 09:15:29 PM »

I sort of like how it was called "the greatest comeback of all time" by some guy in some documentary on Brian Wilson. IMO it's a very mediocre effort. Too many rewrites.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: February 10, 2014, 11:54:55 PM »

I don't mind BB85 and Still Cruisin' either but Imagination is a bit much, sound-wise; oh, and the cover art is downright atrocious.

That said, big fan of BW88, despite some obvious flaws. Unlike many other solo records by BB members, this one sounds quite passionate and is second only to POB in terms of solo albums.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 11:59:11 PM by phirnis » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #796 on: February 10, 2014, 11:59:31 PM »

On the other hand I lack tolerance for most of Today's production  LOL.

Do you mean "Today" like "present time" or "The Beach Boys Today! album"?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #797 on: February 11, 2014, 12:09:42 AM »

Today as in present time. The production on the Today! album is excellent, top-notch!
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: February 11, 2014, 11:00:03 PM »

Today as in present time. The production on the Today! album is excellent, top-notch!

I would agree with that. I would say the production on all Beach Boys material since the late 80's has been pretty bad, Brian's solo work included.
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: February 12, 2014, 09:09:35 AM »

Mike and Bruce should continue to tour but with a new name....perhaps "Mike Love and Bruce Johnston's Beach Review" or something similar.     Whoever made the decision to let Mike use the name after Carl Died and Al was fired made a bad call probably based on greed.   The only time Beach Boys should be used is if it's the entire 2012 lineup on stage or in a studio. 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx