gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:56:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348166 times)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #700 on: January 22, 2014, 02:06:09 AM »

"Crack At Your Love", despite the cheesy production and the hilarious title, is an awesome song.

It's not one of the better songs off the 85 album, but I don't mind that song
G.C
« Reply #701 on: January 22, 2014, 04:33:16 AM »

Love You is extremely overrated.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: January 22, 2014, 05:07:12 AM »

It's a favorite among a number of middle-aged blokes on message boards. Also, BW himself as well as Al Jardine seem to be rather fond of it. Hardly anyone else knows the thing even exists.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #703 on: January 22, 2014, 06:16:21 AM »

I love Love You! Though, few others in my school seem to share that opinion.
Not that I share Love You around very much...

Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #704 on: January 22, 2014, 07:27:55 AM »

Rock!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: January 22, 2014, 08:42:56 AM »

It's a favorite among a number of middle-aged blokes on message boards. Also, BW himself as well as Al Jardine seem to be rather fond of it. Hardly anyone else knows the thing even exists.

This.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: January 22, 2014, 09:40:29 AM »

1.  R & B were awesome.  I wish they had stayed.  They gave the band's sound a great new dynamic.

2.  I actually love the live version of SIP on MIC.  The drumming and guitar are so much fun.

Really???  No comments?  I guess you all are enjoying the endless effing Kokomo & Love You debates too much.  Boring.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 09:41:41 AM by job » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #707 on: January 22, 2014, 10:58:12 AM »

Maybe everyone just agreed with you.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #708 on: January 22, 2014, 11:22:59 AM »

1.  R & B were awesome.  I wish they had stayed.  They gave the band's sound a great new dynamic.

2.  I actually love the live version of SIP on MIC.  The drumming and guitar are so much fun.

Really???  No comments?  I guess you all are enjoying the endless effing Kokomo & Love You debates too much.  Boring.

1. Agree, 100%.

2. Agree, 100%.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #709 on: January 22, 2014, 03:27:16 PM »

Heh...apparently I am the boring one then.  Carry on!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #710 on: January 22, 2014, 03:33:48 PM »

I agree with everything you said  Smiley
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #711 on: January 22, 2014, 05:09:48 PM »

I like Blondie's voice a lot and like Ricky's drumming. I don't really care for their songwriting, nor do I (usually!) care for the stereotypical 70s rock sound the band had when Blondie and Ricky were in the band. Like, there's enough of that stuff out there already, it didn't need to make its way into the Beach Boys on a permanent basis. As goofy/spotty as 15 Big Ones was and as much as it as the beginning of the end, I'd take the likes of "Had To Phone Ya", "It's OK", Love You etc. over much of what's on Holland and So Tough and the direction they were seemingly headed.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #712 on: January 22, 2014, 05:20:25 PM »

I don't really care for their songwriting, nor do I (usually!) care for the stereotypical 70s rock sound the band had when Blondie and Ricky were in the band. Like, there's enough of that stuff out there already, it didn't need to make its way into the Beach Boys on a permanent basis. As goofy/spotty as 15 Big Ones was and as much as it as the beginning of the end, I'd take the likes of "Had To Phone Ya", "It's OK", Love You etc. over much of what's on Holland and So Tough and the direction they were seemingly headed.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #713 on: January 22, 2014, 05:30:32 PM »

I like Blondie's voice a lot and like Ricky's drumming. I don't really care for their songwriting, nor do I (usually!) care for the stereotypical 70s rock sound the band had when Blondie and Ricky were in the band. Like, there's enough of that stuff out there already, it didn't need to make its way into the Beach Boys on a permanent basis. As goofy/spotty as 15 Big Ones was and as much as it as the beginning of the end, I'd take the likes of "Had To Phone Ya", "It's OK", Love You etc. over much of what's on Holland and So Tough and the direction they were seemingly headed.

I love all the songs from CATP and Holland (except He Come Down, the boring Steamboat, the inferior version of Big Sur and The Beaks Of Eagles).
As for 15 Big Ones, I listened to the whole album recently. The only songs worth listening to from that are Palisades Park and Just Once In My Life. Don't care for the overrated Had To Phone Ya or the awful It's OK and the mediocre cover of Rock And Roll Music
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #714 on: January 23, 2014, 02:55:49 AM »

1.  R & B were awesome.  I wish they had stayed.  They gave the band's sound a great new dynamic.

2.  I actually love the live version of SIP on MIC.  The drumming and guitar are so much fun.

OK, I don't want to post negative things all the time. But here you go:

1. I find the albums R & B are on boring, their songs too (except Hard Times), and I'm not a fan of Blondie's voice. I'm sure both are fabulous fellows though.

2. I agree that you like that version, there's no indication whatsoever that you don't! Wink 2

Don't worry, posts go uncommented at times. Maybe even most times.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: January 23, 2014, 03:07:51 AM »

1. I like this abbreviation "R & B", kind of funnily matches them. On a serious note, I totally 2nd you.

2. As a fan of not only SIP song, but the homonym album itself, I, of course, too enjoy the live v-n.

As to commenting or not, I reckon it's sth. to do with The Real Beach Boy (one of our mods) favoriting you & NOT anyone else (well, except for Surfer). Simply, we are jealous!..      Okay, I jest.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #716 on: January 23, 2014, 03:21:37 AM »

1. I like this abbreviation "R & B", kind of funnily matches them. On a serious note, I totally 2nd you.

2. As a fan of not only SIP song, but the homonym album itself, I, of course, too enjoy the live v-n.

As to commenting or not, I reckon it's sth. to do with The Real Beach Boy (one of our mods) favoriting you & NOT anyone else (well, except for Surfer). Simply, we are jealous!..      Okay, I jest.

Having listened to the whole SIP album recently, I can safely say that the title track, Remember (For the most part, it's rubbish. But Carl's vocals save it from being one of the worst) and Slow Summer Dancin' are the only half-good songs, and even with them they'd be some of the worst songs off the average BB's album. And with the title track, the UK remix is much better, as is the live version.
The rest of the songs: I'd rather listen to 15 Big Ones, MIU and KTSA over and over again in a loop instead of hearing those awful piles of sh*t again!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #717 on: January 23, 2014, 03:44:42 AM »

[...] and Slow Summer Dancin' are the only half-good songs.
What half of the song is good in your book - Al's chorus or Bruce's verses?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #718 on: January 24, 2014, 05:40:54 AM »

Another unpopular opinion of mine: While I agree that "Prayer" is a fantastic majestic track, it's a terrible opener for an album called "SMiLE", especially with that funny album cover with the drawing of a SMiLE store. I mean, minor chords in a Gregorian chant like singing style when you expect fun? I think I wouldn't even have liked the track if I had first listened to it under such circumstances.

It would have been a perfect intro to an album called "Dumb Angel", though...

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #719 on: January 24, 2014, 06:21:51 AM »

Another unpopular opinion of mine: While I agree that "Prayer" is a fantastic majestic track, it's a terrible opener for an album called "SMiLE", especially with that funny album cover with the drawing of a SMiLE store. I mean, minor chords in a Gregorian chant like singing style when you expect fun?
Don't know if you missed it, but there were some talks about Our Prayer on the Jimmy F. thread where most people agreed in unity that it's not Gregorian chant. I'm with them too, I think (at least from what I've got; some of the terms were too scientific for me). You, Micha, decide for yourself.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #720 on: January 24, 2014, 06:42:11 AM »

Another unpopular opinion of mine: While I agree that "Prayer" is a fantastic majestic track, it's a terrible opener for an album called "SMiLE", especially with that funny album cover with the drawing of a SMiLE store. I mean, minor chords in a Gregorian chant like singing style when you expect fun?
Don't know if you missed it, but there were some talks about Our Prayer on the Jimmy F. thread where most people agreed in unity that it's not Gregorian chant. I'm with them too, I think (at least from what I've got; some of the terms were too scientific for me). You, Micha, decide for yourself.

Technically you are correct of course, but "Gregorian chants" is what comes to mind to the uneducated ear upon hearing "Prayer". I should have made that clearer but was too lazy.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: January 24, 2014, 07:32:40 AM »

I love Love You! Though, few others in my school seem to share that opinion.
Not that I share Love You around very much...
So not on your Backpack list then?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 07:40:26 AM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: January 24, 2014, 07:55:37 AM »

Another unpopular opinion of mine: While I agree that "Prayer" is a fantastic majestic track, it's a terrible opener for an album called "SMiLE", especially with that funny album cover with the drawing of a SMiLE store.

There's a lot of quality material you'd have to lop off if you went by that. Smile isn't such a simple album/set of material.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Surfs Down
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: January 24, 2014, 11:53:23 AM »

Another unpopular opinion of mine: While I agree that "Prayer" is a fantastic majestic track, it's a terrible opener for an album called "SMiLE", especially with that funny album cover with the drawing of a SMiLE store.

There's a lot of quality material you'd have to lop off if you went by that. Smile isn't such a simple album/set of material.

Agreed.  However, i think it raises the point of whether or not SMiLE is an appropriate album title.  Perhaps it's an unpopular opinion of mine, but I always was thrown off by it.  With the exceptions of VegaTables, HV, Song for Children, Barnyard there isn't really a coherently goofy, fun vibe through the whole piece.  In fact, I would say Fire, Child, Windchimes and Surf's Up are among some of the moodier, dark tracks in the BB catalogue.  (this doesn't mean that the whole work had to be nothing but Fun Fun Fun, but still.....).  Yes there's plenty of playful word twisting throughout but does it consistently fall into the Brian Laughter=Transcendence philosophy? 

It's possible it's going over my head but thematically the whole journey across America thing never clicked with me either.  Maybe this is part is one of the results of it being unfinished?  Maybe it's scatterbrained?  I could be missing something from the "finished" album that Brian presented in 2004, but I could never bring myself to really listen to this in it's entirely (another unpopular opinion here maybe?)

I think it's the best music Brian's composed, but at the very least an ambiguous work in terms of structure/ideas
bluesno1fann
« Reply #724 on: January 24, 2014, 02:49:35 PM »

[...] and Slow Summer Dancin' are the only half-good songs.
What half of the song is good in your book - Al's chorus or Bruce's verses?

I didn't mean half like that.
I meant half-good as in not very good, but not quite bad
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx