gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:00:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348155 times)
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: January 18, 2014, 09:38:37 AM »

Everyone on this forum always talks about how the beach boys went downhill after endless summer.

A lot of people seem to think that its because endless summer came out.

I think the dudes were running out of creative juice.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: January 18, 2014, 02:16:34 PM »

And who could blame them!  Not many bands around today were as good as they were 13 years ago.  I think the Boys did great to last that long, and then managed to get a massive boost out of Endless Summer, which led to sell out concerts and more record deals.  How many bands nowadays could manage that?
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 18, 2014, 02:19:04 PM »

Im of the opinion that the casual fans kept the BB from progressing.. The artful music was not as commercial or audience participation friendly.. And the 60's music was so great it was hard to top it.. And when they tried writing in the old style it sounded forced instead natural.. They grew up + got older..  I took my sister to a couple of BB shows in 70"s and she heard all the newier albums.. But when she got to the concert she forgot about those and just wanted 60"s stuff.. I saw that on the C50 tour also.. There was lot's of people in the audience that had never heard " Forever " and stuff like that.. BB were between a rock + a hard place after the 60"s.. Then you add in Advances in recording technology.. In house fighting+ EGO.. Drugs + Alcohol... Insecurities + loss of confidence... Mental disorders.. Lazy attitude + Indifference..  MONEY + Fame.. You got an elixir of confusion.. IMHO.. The BB tried as hard as they could.. Till 1981.. No CW + takin a damaged BW on tour was a SERIOUS misstep .. They still tried to a certain degree till 1992 + SIP + cheer leaders.. Then it was over..  So to me 1st 30 years they were a contemporary mainstream band.. Since 1992 they are a oldies act till 2012.. I was so glad when BW went solo because that was the only way he had a chance to be NEW again.. As far as BB an oldies act well there is plenty of blame to go around.. Including me .. I went to their concerts a couple times a year every year.... Its not just the 7 people we call the BB.... We all gave in to the oldies routine at some point..  How do you think Mike + Bruce still do shows.. I don't go but somebody sure does... Even BW in 2007 started doin oldies shows.. And I go to those anyway even tho I YEARN for.. Until I Die.. Imagination.. Surfs Up.. Wonderful.. All the ballads on side 2 of "Today".. Songs from TLOS.. Melt Away.. ETC.. I know I wont get much of that anymore..  I love BB warts and all..
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 02:22:12 PM by Mr. Wilson » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #678 on: January 18, 2014, 02:19:44 PM »

Everyone on this forum always talks about how the beach boys went downhill after endless summer.

Certainly not Dennis, or possibly Carl!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #679 on: January 18, 2014, 08:01:34 PM »

I've always hated Catch A Wave. Always Have and Always Will.

Though the live version is a improvement, there's just something about the original that I really, really dislike
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: January 18, 2014, 09:29:32 PM »

Yeah the keyboard in the middle is pretty lame to me.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 18, 2014, 11:09:18 PM »

Though the live version is a improvement, there's just something about the original that I really, really dislike

I find Catch a wave to be pretty lifeless. Don't hate it, don't love it either

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #682 on: January 18, 2014, 11:27:59 PM »

I think 'Catch A Wave' is the Beach Boys' best surfing song. I love the harp and the cymbals that mimic the surf.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
bluesno1fann
« Reply #683 on: January 18, 2014, 11:49:22 PM »

I think 'Catch A Wave' is the Beach Boys' best surfing song. I love the harp and the cymbals that mimic the surf.

Give Me Surfin' Safari, Surfin', the whole of Surfin' USA, and Most of Surfer Girl (except for South Bay Surfer, Boogie Woodie, and the especially awful Surfers Rule) over Catch A Wave!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #684 on: January 19, 2014, 12:14:27 AM »

Though I must say I much prefer Sidewalk Surfin' by Jan and Dean over Catch A Wave.

The biggest preference is the lack of that horrible organ solo in the middle. Overall, it's a lot better than Catch A Wave.

That being said, not a big fan of Sidewalk Surfin'
zachrwolfe
« Reply #685 on: January 19, 2014, 12:56:31 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:29:01 PM by zatch » Logged
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: January 19, 2014, 02:45:21 AM »

I DON'T skip Barbara friggen' Ann when I hear it...the ultimate unpopular BB opinion...oh, and I don't "get" the love for In the Back of My Mind". .Scuse me while I run for cover...
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: January 19, 2014, 04:31:00 AM »

I like every song on That's Why God Made The Radio.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #688 on: January 19, 2014, 07:21:22 AM »

I find Catch a wave to be pretty lifeless. Don't hate it, don't love it either

It's a bit too slow and the guitar solo sound is not as good as on the previous 2 LPs, but other than that it's a good song to me.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #689 on: January 19, 2014, 07:47:52 AM »

The same goes for the German of "Ganz allein", by the way.

Funny, I don't really speak German, but I understand it well enough (reading/listening), and I've always found "Ganz Allein" pretty easy to understand, maybe even easier than native speaker's German. How do you rate the translation, does it capture the mood and feeling of the original? I've always thought "ganz allein" works way better than for example "in meinem Raum".

The translation - well, in content it really fits the original lyrics, but the lyrical style is kind of, say, "belle epoque"... for listeners who have read a lot of Goethe and Schiller. Wink 2

The "Ganz allein" singing needs a bit of concentration to understand if German is your first language. The effect though is familiar for me: I find French spoken by Germans is a lot easier to understand than native speaker's French.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: January 19, 2014, 08:23:37 AM »

I don't think the dudes ever ran out of creative juice. Having re-established themselves in the early 70's as a progressive rock outfit, in the late 70's the musical zeitgeist shifted once again, and they found themselves in the era of punk and new wave.

The late 70's early 80's also did in the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Steely Dan, Yes, ELP, Peter Frampton , the Bee Gees, the Who, the Moody Blues, etc.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: January 19, 2014, 09:39:44 AM »

I don't think the dudes ever ran out of creative juice. Having re-established themselves in the early 70's as a progressive rock outfit, in the late 70's the musical zeitgeist shifted once again, and they found themselves in the era of punk and new wave.

The late 70's early 80's also did in the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Steely Dan, Yes, ELP, Peter Frampton , the Bee Gees, the Who, the Moody Blues, etc.

It's hard to pinpoint exactly what happened to the BBs in the 70's.  After the nostalgia trip died down (after all the American Bicentennial hubbub faded out, and disco dominated the airwaves) things got pretty weird.  It's almost as if the boys were straddling the progressive/oldies line in the late 70's.  And you gotta admit, they were each personally in pretty bad shape at the time.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: January 19, 2014, 04:23:13 PM »

I think they did remarkably well to keep going and make some great music through difficult personal times.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #693 on: January 20, 2014, 03:56:08 PM »

Here's another one:

I've always liked the Disco Here Comes The Night!

I never truly got why it's so hated around here. For a disco song, this is quite good! They did a great job at it, the production is great, and the vocals are perfect!

The only flaw is it came out slightly too late, as well as putting the 10 minute version on the Light Album, much as I love that version.

But seriously, enough with the hate. It's still better than Full Sail, Shortenin' Bread, Goin' South, and especially the awful, awful Sumahama!

TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: January 20, 2014, 04:03:56 PM »

Here Comes the Night does have plenty of decent musical ideas.  And the R&B tinge of the original made it a viable choice for a remake.  Over time though, I've had a lot of the trouble with the vocal sound and production on L.A.  It's really only Dennis' songs and maybe Angel Come Home that comes out unscathed (as much as I like Good Timin' overall).
bluesno1fann
« Reply #695 on: January 20, 2014, 04:06:15 PM »

Here Comes the Night does have plenty of decent musical ideas.  And the R&B tinge of the original made it a viable choice for a remake.  Over time though, I've had a lot of the trouble with the vocal sound and production on L.A.  It's really only Dennis' songs and maybe Angel Come Home that comes out unscathed (as much as I like Good Timin' overall).

Yeah, the Dennis songs are easily the best off the Light Album, hands down, as well as Good Timin', Lady Lynda, and Angel Come Home.

For the songs above alone, I consider L.A. Light Album a very underrated album
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: January 20, 2014, 10:24:20 PM »

Here's another one:

I've always liked the Disco Here Comes The Night!

I never truly got why it's so hated around here. For a disco song, this is quite good! They did a great job at it, the production is great, and the vocals are perfect!

The only flaw is it came out slightly too late, as well as putting the 10 minute version on the Light Album, much as I love that version.

But seriously, enough with the hate. It's still better than Full Sail, Shortenin' Bread, Goin' South, and especially the awful, awful Sumahama!

If the Beach Boys really wanted to capitalize on the disco fad, they should have discofied "Darlin'." Could have been a hit.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #697 on: January 20, 2014, 11:20:10 PM »

Never liked Fun, Fun, Fun. From the moment I first heard it, I disliked it. In fact after I first heard it, I steered well away from BB's music for a while.

Busy Doin' Nothin' is fairly overrated, don't get why it's so popular
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: January 20, 2014, 11:27:02 PM »

Im of the opinion that the casual fans kept the BB from progressing.. The artful music was not as commercial or audience participation friendly.. And the 60's music was so great it was hard to top it.. And when they tried writing in the old style it sounded forced instead natural.. They grew up + got older..  I took my sister to a couple of BB shows in 70"s and she heard all the newier albums.. But when she got to the concert she forgot about those and just wanted 60"s stuff.. I saw that on the C50 tour also.. There was lot's of people in the audience that had never heard " Forever " and stuff like that.. BB were between a rock + a hard place after the 60"s.. Then you add in Advances in recording technology.. In house fighting+ EGO.. Drugs + Alcohol... Insecurities + loss of confidence... Mental disorders.. Lazy attitude + Indifference..  MONEY + Fame.. You got an elixir of confusion.. IMHO.. The BB tried as hard as they could.. Till 1981.. No CW + takin a damaged BW on tour was a SERIOUS misstep .. They still tried to a certain degree till 1992 + SIP + cheer leaders.. Then it was over..  So to me 1st 30 years they were a contemporary mainstream band.. Since 1992 they are a oldies act till 2012.. I was so glad when BW went solo because that was the only way he had a chance to be NEW again.. As far as BB an oldies act well there is plenty of blame to go around.. Including me .. I went to their concerts a couple times a year every year.... Its not just the 7 people we call the BB.... We all gave in to the oldies routine at some point..  How do you think Mike + Bruce still do shows.. I don't go but somebody sure does... Even BW in 2007 started doin oldies shows.. And I go to those anyway even tho I YEARN for.. Until I Die.. Imagination.. Surfs Up.. Wonderful.. All the ballads on side 2 of "Today".. Songs from TLOS.. Melt Away.. ETC.. I know I wont get much of that anymore..  I love BB warts and all..

You do Mr. Wilson. Love your stories. The super devoted fans who bring that in depth knowledge of the band is what keeps me reading the board!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: January 22, 2014, 01:46:51 AM »

"Crack At Your Love", despite the cheesy production and the hilarious title, is an awesome song.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx