gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:16:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348137 times)
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: January 09, 2014, 10:24:39 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of California Girls except for the intro  Undecided

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: January 09, 2014, 10:41:09 PM »

Did you ever hear it without vocals? It sounds awesome as an instrumental
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: January 09, 2014, 11:04:41 PM »

Did you ever hear it without vocals? It sounds awesome as an instrumental

Yea it does I actually prefer it over the actual song  LOL

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 09, 2014, 11:35:59 PM »

I also only really like Heroes and Villains, Cabin Essence, Wonderful, Surf's Up and Good Vibrations from Smile. A lot of Smile seems like repetitive filler.

I thought I was the only one who didn't love Smile as much as I'm supposed to.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 10, 2014, 07:13:43 AM »

I also only really like Heroes and Villains, Cabin Essence, Wonderful, Surf's Up and Good Vibrations from Smile. A lot of Smile seems like repetitive filler.

I thought I was the only one who didn't love Smile as much as I'm supposed to.

I'm not sure anyone likes Smile as much as they think they're supposed to.

I also quite like how the history of the band turned out post-Smile. It seemed like for so long all anyone wanted to talk about RE:Brian was the aborted album that could have changed his career. I'm not so sure it would have, had it been completed. It very well could have flopped, sending Brian into the same funk he went into anyway.

And if no Smile means getting great songs from Carl and Dennis, or songs like Darlin', Do It Again, Break Away, This Whole World, Sail On Sailor, etc. out of Brian that might not have happened, then I'll take an incomplete Smile.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: January 10, 2014, 11:12:05 AM »

Remember we still don't know what a finished (in the 1960s) Smile would have sounded like. Perhaps the songs you don't like so much would have been rewritten or omitted altogether (though I think Vege-tables had pretty much finished evolving and I can't see that being left out).

Please delete my account
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 10, 2014, 12:43:23 PM »

Remember we still don't know what a finished (in the 1960s) Smile would have sounded like. Perhaps the songs you don't like so much would have been rewritten or omitted altogether (though I think Vege-tables had pretty much finished evolving and I can't see that being left out).

There would have had to have been a lot of tinkering for me to feel differently about songs like Vega-Tables, Do You Like Worms and Love to Say Dada, which I've only felt were OK since I first heard them on the 1993 box set back when it came out.
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 10, 2014, 12:51:32 PM »

You have to take into account that most of the songs are still unfinished. It certainly sounds like
its about 90% finished, but it's probably much less finished than most people think it is. You can
only imagine what Brian may have added, or if he stitched together sections and whatnot
if he actually completed what he set out to do. Or at least he would have omitted certain
songs and only kept the best completed ones. I for one highly doubt Love To Say Da Da and some
other tunes would have made it on the actual album.

Anyway, to me, the most enjoyment of Smile is really the session outtakes and stuff. I don't really even
tend to listen to it as a song-by-song type of album, I think of it more as a bunch of random session materials,
sections, different takes (some beautifully completed, some that are just...there), and of course the whole myth, stories
and situations that go with it. Smile Sessions Box is my favorite piece of Smile, not even because of the "album" they put together on disc 1, but all those outtakes, sections and recording sessions on the other discs.

I can see if some aren't really crazy about session outtakes and stuff, but that's mostly what I love about Smile. I'm sure it would be better if it were actually completed, but since it wasn't, it's interesting to just hear what was done, uncut without trying to force pieces that may not even fit together.

--

As far as the "what ifs" with Smile, yeah I'm not into that. The whole discussion has been exhausted by now, and besides, I really love Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Friends etc and wouldn't really want to change history. I'd love to hear more fully developed ideas from Brian like on Smile and Pet Sounds, but he would have changed the next year most likely anyways. Even the Beatles changed drastically on The White Album.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 12:53:49 PM by jcjh20 » Logged
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 10, 2014, 12:59:19 PM »

You have to take into account that most of the songs are still unfinished. It certainly sounds like
its about 90% finished, but it's probably much less finished than most people think it is. You can
only imagine what Brian may have added, or if he stitched together sections and whatnot
if he actually completed what he set out to do. Or at least he would have omitted certain
songs and only kept the best completed ones. I for one highly doubt Love To Say Da Da and some
other tunes would have made it on the actual album.

Anyway, to me, the most enjoyment of Smile is really the session outtakes and stuff. I don't really even
tend to listen to it as a song-by-song type of album, I think of it more as a bunch of random session materials,
sections, different takes (some beautifully completed, some that are just...there), and of course the whole myth, stories
and situations that go with it. Smile Sessions Box is my favorite piece of Smile, not even because of the "album" they put together on disc 1, but all those outtakes, sections and recording sessions on the other discs.

I can see if some aren't really crazy about session outtakes and stuff, but that's mostly what I love about Smile. I'm sure it would be better if it were actually completed, but since it wasn't, it's interesting to just hear what was done, uncut without trying to force pieces that may not even fit together.

--

As far as the "what ifs" with Smile, yeah I'm not into that. The whole discussion has been exhausted by now, and besides, I really love Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Friends etc and wouldn't really want to change history. I'd love to hear more fully developed ideas from Brian like on Smile and Pet Sounds, but he would have changed the next year most likely anyways. Even the Beatles changed drastically on The White Album.

Many probably don't do this, but I group Brian's songwriting on Smile, Smiley Smile and Friends together. Obviously there's some stuff from that period that I really like (H&V, GV, Surf's Up, Cabin Essence, etc.), but in general that very "drug influenced" period of Brian's music is not my favorite.
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 10, 2014, 01:06:20 PM »

Many probably don't do this, but I group Brian's songwriting on Smile, Smiley Smile and Friends together. Obviously there's some stuff from that period that I really like (H&V, GV, Surf's Up, Cabin Essence, etc.), but in general that very "drug influenced" period of Brian's music is not my favorite.

Can see your view on that. That drug influenced mid-late 60s period is definitely different than any other period of the band. Have you made a playlist grouping songs from those albums together? That sounds interesting.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 10, 2014, 01:18:09 PM »

"409" and "Little Deuce Coupe" (song) both bore me to tears.
frightfulhog
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #636 on: January 10, 2014, 01:44:27 PM »

"big sur"  is lovely, but lyrically it's worse than most mike lyrics. it's a great track - i just don't get its rep as ml's lyrical masterpiece.

(also, i hate to have my first post in the contrarian thread, but hey, everybody!)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 01:49:10 PM by frightfulhog » Logged

Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 10, 2014, 02:13:50 PM »

"409" and "Little Deuce Coupe" (song) both bore me to tears.

I prefer the demo of Little Deuce Coupe.. Ever hear it? A spare demo of mostly piano, guitar, bass and Brian on lead throughout the whole thing. I forget what compilation it's from but I love it.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 10, 2014, 02:16:32 PM »

I don't really like Carl's singing in the 70s and beyond. He sounded too syrupy.

That is all.
G.C
« Reply #639 on: January 10, 2014, 03:13:40 PM »

I hate Brian Wilson. He's the biggest asshole in american history.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 03:19:37 PM by Karlheinz Klopweisser » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #640 on: January 10, 2014, 03:43:31 PM »

I hate Brian Wilson. He's the biggest asshole in american history.

I sincerely hope you're joking
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: January 10, 2014, 03:49:43 PM »

Can see your view on that. That drug influenced mid-late 60s period is definitely different than any other period of the band. Have you made a playlist grouping songs from those albums together? That sounds interesting.

I haven't, just because it's not my favorite era.

Outside of H&V, GV, Surf's Up and Cabin Essence, the only songs I really seek out from those albums is Gettin' Hungry, Wonderful, Meant For You, Friends, Passing By, Little Bird and Diamond Head. That would make a pretty interesting playlist.

I'll also mention that I think Wild Honey really stands out from this period. I like about 85% of Wild Honey. Even though it falls in between Smiley Smile and Friends, I don't include it in that "era" so to speak, of Brian's "drug influenced" or mellower song writing. It's odd that Wild Honey falls in there. It would have made far more sense for the the order to go Smile, Smiley Smile, Friends, Wild Honey, 20/20. But obviously it didn't.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #642 on: January 10, 2014, 03:50:33 PM »

Here's two songs I simply can't stand:

Little Deuce Coupe
Fun, Fun, Fun

And not that I hate songs such as Surfin' USA, but they really should have stopped performing that song (as well as the above two and Barbara Ann) from the late-60's onwards. It certainly didn't help their "Surfing Doris Day" image, and they had plenty of then-contemporary BB's songs that are easily great  enough to replace them with.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 04:00:09 PM by MessOfHelp101 » Logged
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: January 10, 2014, 04:25:48 PM »

I haven't, just because it's not my favorite era.

Outside of H&V, GV, Surf's Up and Cabin Essence, the only songs I really seek out from those albums is Gettin' Hungry, Wonderful, Meant For You, Friends, Passing By, Little Bird and Diamond Head. That would make a pretty interesting playlist.

I'll also mention that I think Wild Honey really stands out from this period. I like about 85% of Wild Honey. Even though it falls in between Smiley Smile and Friends, I don't include it in that "era" so to speak, of Brian's "drug influenced" or mellower song writing. It's odd that Wild Honey falls in there. It would have made far more sense for the the order to go Smile, Smiley Smile, Friends, Wild Honey, 20/20. But obviously it didn't.

I always thought Friends sounded like a nice followup to Smiley Smile myself. Most of the songs on each have similar sounds/production. Meant For You, Anna Lee, Be Still and possibly a few others really remind me of Smiley Smile. Wild Honey seemed to be a spontaneous decision to have a more raw R&B, full band feel, its actually kinda weird they didn't stay in that direction. It really sounds like a debut album from a totally different band, especially songs like "How She Boogalooed It".

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 04:26:49 PM by jcjh20 » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #644 on: January 11, 2014, 04:55:37 AM »

Same with me.

its about 90% finished, but it's probably much less finished than most people think it is.

I think you are right. There's a reason most of SMiLE didn't come out... IMHO to create a version of "Surf's Up" that satisfies Brian, it would have taken him as many sessions as for Good Vibrations.

I always thought Friends sounded like a nice followup to Smiley Smile myself. Most of the songs on each have similar sounds/production.

In the 70s they put out LP twofers of the post-Pet Sounds 60s albums. And they did indeed pair Smiley Smile with Friends and Wild Honey with 20/20 rather than pair them chronologically. "Be still" sounds as if it just belongs on Smiley Smile!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: January 11, 2014, 05:28:42 AM »

I despise Surfer Girl. and Fan Fan Fan

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: January 11, 2014, 10:57:52 AM »

I'm fine with "Barbara Ann."
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: January 11, 2014, 11:07:23 AM »

I'm fine with "Barbara Ann."

I've never understood the hate. Those harmonies are amazing.

Has a vocal-only of Barbara Ann ever been released (officially or unofficially)?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: January 11, 2014, 11:19:45 AM »

I love the early hits, but one thing I don't get is why everybody had to only hear the biggest hits and that's it. Seems like the Beach Boys went the way as in a lot of pre-1963 groups, even though they had a full career, releasing an album a year until 1973, then re-continuing again in 1976 until 1980. I know, Endless Summer, ignorant fans, marketing/record company pigeonholing them. I just think it's kinda sad really..

Even to this day they are pigeonholed. Just look at "Made In California". The cover and presentation is so stereotypical "fun in the sun at the beach" style, it's pretty tacky to be honest. The inside stuff is awesome, just talking about the cover and the main look of the whole thing from the outside.

I guess we should be grateful that the Beach Boys are well respected at all these days compared to the 70s, and that we get boxed sets like MIC.. I can't complain!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #649 on: January 15, 2014, 07:37:13 PM »

Here's a few more.

Not a huge fan of Friends. It's a great album, but has never been one of my favourites.
4th Of July sucks, it's very overrated around here, as is Marcella and All I Wanna Do.
I wish David Marks could have replaced Brian on the road and gradually re-joined the BB's instead of Glen Campbell or Bruce Johnston.
Don't really care for Brian Wilson Presents Smile, That Lucky Old Sun, or Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin. There, I said it!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx