gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:54:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348249 times)
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: September 03, 2013, 10:55:38 PM »

Charles Lloyd should have produced Love You.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: September 03, 2013, 11:10:18 PM »

Charles Lloyd should have produced Love You.

"Love You...Love You...Love You...Love You...in the AM and the PM..........."
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 04, 2013, 08:28:58 AM »

I own a few thousand CDs, but disc 2 of 'The Smile Sessions' is probably the most annoying one of them all. I love 'Heroes and Villains', but listening to H&V vocal sessions just becomes unbearable after about five minutes.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: September 04, 2013, 10:05:48 AM »

I own a few thousand CDs, but disc 2 of 'The Smile Sessions' is probably the most annoying one of them all. I love 'Heroes and Villains', but listening to H&V vocal sessions just becomes unbearable after about five minutes.

Yeah I have expressed this sentiment already. Esp the animal grunting and what I have dubbed 'the orgasm' part.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #554 on: January 07, 2014, 05:52:39 PM »

Here's a big one, which is something I won't regret saying as it is honestly how I feel.
I love All I Want To Do, and It's one of my all-time favourite BB's songs!
And....

I'll easily take All I Want To Do over any BB's songs from 1961 to 1963 and 1986 onwards!

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 08:19:53 PM by MessOfHelp101 » Logged
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: January 07, 2014, 06:06:04 PM »

wow.  not a surprise to those of us working our way through the 20/20 survivor thread...but, thanks for sharing. Grin
retro, care to comment?

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 07, 2014, 06:10:45 PM »

wow.  not a surprise to those of us working our way through the 20/20 survivor thread...but, thanks for sharing. Grin
retro, care to comment?

I was just about to actually  LOL and I also find it strange how the people who stand up to others' disrespect are labeled as trolls when the ones doing the disrespecting are really the trolls  Undecided

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 07, 2014, 06:15:11 PM »

retro, care to comment?

I was just about to actually  LOL and I also find it strange how the people who stand up to others' disrespect are labeled as trolls when the ones doing the disrespecting are really the trolls  Undecided

Trolls very seldom see themselves as trolls. But if you are referring to my survivor threads I would advise you to count the number of posts between you and mess and compare that to the number of posts by Gabo. You both spammed the hell  out of my thread.

You can also take note of how many normally level headed patient fellow boardies (who love Dennis, by the way) were asking you gently to shut up. intended or not, you were trolling my thread to the point where SMiLE Holland was needed to intervene.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #558 on: January 07, 2014, 06:17:49 PM »

retro, care to comment?

Trolls very seldom see themselves as trolls. But if you are referring to my survivor threads I would advise you to count the number of posts between you and mess and compare that to the number of posts by Gabo. You both spammed the hell  out of my thread.

You can also take note of how many normally level headed patient fellow boardies (who love Dennis, by the way) were asking you gently to shut up. intended or not, you were trolling my thread to the point where SMiLE Holland was needed to intervene.
Actually, we had agreed to stop before Smile Holland "Intervened". In fact, I told Retro that we needed to shut up in order to avoid further trouble, which we did. So the Smile Holland intervention was unnecessary and redundant
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 07, 2014, 06:19:19 PM »

Here's a big one, which is something I won't regret saying as it is honestly how I feel.
And....

I'll easily take All I Want To Do over any BB's songs from 1961 to 1963!

As long as "In My Room," "Surfer Girl," and "Lonely Sea" exist, I will have to disagree with you.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 07, 2014, 06:21:31 PM »

retro, care to comment?

Again I'm sorry for spamming your thread it wasn't intended for that  Sad but my feelings for Gabo's comments haven't changed.  I wish it hadn't have been your thread that all of this bickering took place  Sad

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #561 on: January 07, 2014, 06:22:15 PM »

And....

As long as "In My Room," "Surfer Girl," and "Lonely Sea" exist, I will have to disagree with you.
Those 3 songs come close, but I prefer All I Want To Do to the three for one reason.
It's the type of song that you can dance to and is a energetic rocker.
As great as those 3 songs are, they're more slower ballads and not the type of music you would play at a party
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 07, 2014, 06:22:33 PM »

And....

I'm not a fan of the 20/20 studio version (All I Want To Do doesn't work well in the confines of a studio, imo), but the live MiC version is jaw dropping - I'd put it up there as being one of their best live renditions.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 07, 2014, 06:22:58 PM »

And....

those three songs are ballads "All I Want to Do" isn't a ballad  Undecided

-Dennis Wilson
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 07, 2014, 06:23:23 PM »

retro, care to comment?

I was just about to actually  LOL and I also find it strange how the people who stand up to others' disrespect are labeled as trolls when the ones doing the disrespecting are really the trolls  Undecided

Trolls very seldom see themselves as trolls. But if you are referring to my survivor threads I would advise you to count the number of posts between you and mess and compare that to the number of posts by Gabo. You both spammed the hell  out of my thread.

Actually, we had agreed to stop before Smile Holland "Intervened". In fact, I told Retro that we needed to shut up in order to avoid further trouble, which we did. So the Smile Holland intervention was unnecessary and redundant

Well I am certainly glad you both eventually "agreed" after I begged you three times to stop and others had to post their annoyance. The respectable thing would have been to stop after the first request. Not continue on and on and on and on. But that is neither here nor there. I think you both understand better what is acceptable etiquette. I just hope that you both don't continue to feel insulted and go on the war path anytime anyone has a different opinion than you (be it inflammatory or not).

*pixletwin grumbles back to his cave to go to sleep*
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 06:24:36 PM by pixletwin » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #565 on: January 07, 2014, 06:24:35 PM »

And....

I'm not a fan of the 20/20 studio version (All I Want To Do doesn't work well in the confines of a studio, imo), but the live MiC version is jaw dropping - I'd put it up there as being one of their best live renditions.
Both versions are great!
I think All I Want To Do especially worked great live, and should have become a live staple instead of ageing songs such as Surfin' USA and "shudder" Barbara Ann.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 07, 2014, 06:24:50 PM »

retro, care to comment?

I was just about to actually  LOL and I also find it strange how the people who stand up to others' disrespect are labeled as trolls when the ones doing the disrespecting are really the trolls  Undecided

Trolls very seldom see themselves as trolls. But if you are referring to my survivor threads I would advise you to count the number of posts between you and mess and compare that to the number of posts by Gabo. You both spammed the hell  out of my thread.

Yea the last thing I posted was a thumbs up to you telling me that but I guess by then it was too late  Sad
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 06:26:14 PM by retrokid67 » Logged

-Dennis Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 07, 2014, 06:37:22 PM »

And....

Both versions are great!
I think All I Want To Do especially worked great live, and should have become a live staple instead of ageing songs such as Surfin' USA and "shudder" Barbara Ann.

Agreed. I would've loved to have heard this one on the Knebworth album!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #568 on: January 08, 2014, 12:11:01 AM »

I understand not liking "Barbara Ann" (just a throwaway cover on a throwaway album whose popularity got out of control) but why knock Surfin' USA, the song that launched the band onto the National stage?  A song that, despite being lifted from Chuck Berry, is quintessentially Brian Wilson/Beach Boys.  I don't get why in order to compliment the group's later, less popular output you have to disparage the early stuff.  It seems like you only enjoy a very narrow spectrum of what The Beach Boys recorded.

As great as those 3 songs are, they're more slower ballads and not the type of music you would play at a party

Roll Eyes On what planet is this a rational way of determining the quality of music?  Particularly the music by a band who is more known for ballads than hard rock songs?  I would never play Pet Sounds at a party, and yet IMO it's the best thing they released.

At least you're posting this stuff in the right thread.  Undecided
bluesno1fann
« Reply #569 on: January 08, 2014, 12:17:33 AM »

I understand not liking "Barbara Ann" (just a throwaway cover on a throwaway album whose popularity got out of control) but why knock Surfin' USA, the song that launched the band onto the National stage?  A song that, despite being lifted from Chuck Berry, is quintessentially Brian Wilson/Beach Boys.  I don't get why in order to compliment the group's later, less popular output you have to disparage the early stuff.  It seems like you only enjoy a very narrow spectrum of what The Beach Boys recorded.

Roll Eyes On what planet is this a rational way of determining the quality of music?  Particularly the music by a band who is more known for ballads than hard rock songs?  I would never play Pet Sounds at a party, and yet IMO it's the best thing they released.

At least you're posting this stuff in the right thread.  Undecided
Surfin' USA is a great song, but it was out of date by the late 60's onwards. It certainly didn't help the band's image.
They should have performed far more contemporary songs like they did in the early 70's instead of slowly degenerating into an oldies band after Endless Summer, permanently damaging the band's image and reputation. 

As great as the three ballads are (two of them are the best from their respective albums), I do prefer All I Want To Do. It's simply a more enjoyable song IMO
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: January 08, 2014, 12:23:09 AM »

It seems like you only enjoy a very narrow spectrum of what The Beach Boys recorded.

The Beach Boys IMO recorded most of their best material in the early years -- 1962 and 1966. As much as I love their later, more obscure material most of it doesn't measure up to the perfect songs they crafted during the early years. The Warmth Of The Sun, Don't Worry Baby, Surfer Girl, In My Room, the list goes on and on, -- not to mention the Pets Sound album.

I think people find their later, artier material easier to accept because the songs are not about surfing, cars, and teenage romance. They are failing to forget, though, that very few of their songs -- even during the "art rock" 1967-1973 period -- have lyrics that can be considered to be great on their own terms. On the contrary, must of them basically suck.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 12:35:17 AM by Gabo » Logged
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 08, 2014, 12:26:55 AM »

It seems like you only enjoy a very narrow spectrum of what The Beach Boys recorded.

The Beach Boys IMO recorded most of their best material in the early years -- 1962 and 1966. As much as I love their later, more obscure material most of it doesn't measure up to the perfect songs they crafted during the early years. The Warmth Of The Sun, Don't Worry Baby, Surfer Girl, In My Room, the list goes on and on.

that's fine, but the songs you listed were ballads too.  All I Want To Do is an up tempo song, so wouldn't it make more sense to compare it with another one of their up tempo songs?

-Dennis Wilson
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 08, 2014, 12:30:50 AM »

I'm really not interested in discussing All I Want To Do.

But if you insist, All Summer Long, California Girls, Surfin' Safari, I Get Around, Dance Dance Dance, Good To My Baby, to name a few, are all more danceable than All I Want To Do.

I like songs you can dance to, too. That's not the mark of a great song. Can you dance to Blowin' In the Wind or Imagine?

« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 12:31:44 AM by Gabo » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #573 on: January 08, 2014, 12:34:12 AM »

The Beach Boys IMO recorded most of their best material in the early years -- 1962 and 1966. As much as I love their later, more obscure material most of it doesn't measure up to the perfect songs they crafted during the early years. The Warmth Of The Sun, Don't Worry Baby, Surfer Girl, In My Room, the list goes on and on, -- not to mention the Pets Sound album.

I think people find their later, artier material easier to accept because the songs are not about surfing, cars, and teenage romance, not because the later material is necessarily any better.
I think it all comes down to taste.
But IMHO the Beach Boys recorded a majority of their best material from 1966 to 1973. From Pet Sounds to Holland/Beach Boys In Concert.
Plus, as Retrokid said, you listed just ballads, and while those ballads are no doubt classics (Especially Warmth Of The Sun), I'd still prefer their 66-73 songs
bluesno1fann
« Reply #574 on: January 08, 2014, 12:36:26 AM »

I'm really not interested in discussing All I Want To Do.

But if you insist, All Summer Long, California Girls, Surfin' Safari, I Get Around, Dance Dance Dance, Good To My Baby, to name a few, are all more danceable than All I Want To Do.

I like songs you can dance to, too. That's not the mark of a great song. Can you dance to Blowin' In the Wind or Imagine?

True.
But Surfin' Safari, I Get Around, and Dance Dance Dance have all not aged too well.
The music has to stand the test of time to be classic.
Also, I guess while it once again comes down to people's taste, I still find All I Want To Do to me easier to dance to and easier to enjoy, especially the rockin' live version on MIC!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx