gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:41:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348268 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 16, 2013, 02:05:11 AM »

Not sure if this has already been written but....

SMiLE wouldve been 10x the album it is if it werent for VDP stupid, nonsensical, boring lyrics.

Well I'd say that Surf's Up is as near a perfect song as you can get. And Van Dyke did a great job with H&V and Wonderfull. Cabinessence isn't too shabby either. As for the rest, I really would have loved to see what Mike could have come up with for Brian's music from this period.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 16, 2013, 02:30:16 AM »

SMiLE wouldve been 10x the album it is if it werent for VDP stupid, nonsensical, boring lyrics.

Well I'd say that Surf's Up is as near a perfect song as you can get. And Van Dyke did a great job with H&V and Wonderfull. Cabinessence isn't too shabby either. As for the rest, I really would have loved to see what Mike could have come up with for Brian's music from this period.

Heroes and Waves?
Do You Like Girls?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 16, 2013, 08:28:10 AM »

Here's an unpopular opinion that will blow minds...

I'm SO sick of the Mike v the rest of the band feud that at this point, I'm enjoying the Beatles' music more these days, because there's much less baggage associated with it. There's something I never would've said a month ago. I think Brian's a genius, Mike's talented in his own right, Al is a true professional musically, Dave's a great guitarist and cool guy, and Bruce is...Bruce, but I wish everybody would just shut the hell up and just play music. There. I said it.
Billy, for me the Beach Boys music washes away all that crap. I don't care what they do. How I feel won't change the situation anyway. They rarely ever listen to the fans or how they feel.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 19, 2013, 04:37:26 AM »

I have very few unpopular Beach Boys opinions...hmmm lemme think..

- The early stuff is sometimes as good better than SMiLE music or Sunflower, depending on the song.

- 'Sloop John B' is one of the best tracks on Pet Sounds, and one of the best things the band ever recorded.
Yes & yes, only correction SJB is the best track on PS, not one of.

- Wild Honey's greatness can only really be enjoyed in mono. In fact I think that's true with most of the BBs 60s output. This opinion seems to be growing less and less popular everyday...
Really? According to my observations, most people here prefer mono. I for one enjoy both in various songs. F.ex., You Still Believe In Me is sonically good in mono, Here Today - in stereo etc. That said, I'm a fan of the latter.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 19, 2013, 05:23:17 AM »

When I first became a fan waaaaaaaay back in 2011 I preferred stereo. I didn't even know what "mono" was. I'd never listened to it before and when I eventually did, it sounded unusual to my stereo conditioned ears. Instead of giving it time to get used to, I just sought stereo mixes.

I think about a year in my fandom I got annoyed at a stereo mix on Surfin' U.S.A., probably "Lana" or "Lonely Sea". Anyway, I did a fold down of the stereo track and it the improvement was like night and day for me. It really made me receptive to the idea of perhaps giving mono another shot.

When the remixes came about last year, I thought I'd give the mono mixes a focused listen and I was really astounded at just how good they sounded. Particularly Shut Down Volume 2 and Surfin' U.S.A. (those instrumentals cook in mono). I'd say my preference now is equally divided. Some days I'll throw on stereo, some days mono.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #505 on: August 19, 2013, 06:16:48 AM »

When the remixes came about last year, I thought I'd give the mono mixes a focused listen and I was really astounded at just how good they sounded. Particularly Shut Down Volume 2 and Surfin' U.S.A. (those instrumentals cook in mono). I'd say my preference now is equally divided. Some days I'll throw on stereo, some days mono.

I remember when some nice sent me needledrops of the mono LPs many years ago, I listened to Shut Down Volume 2, which I had thought of as a minor effort before, and hearing it in mono, I thought "Wow, what a beautiful album this really is!"

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #506 on: August 19, 2013, 06:20:52 AM »

I'd say, Mike would have come up with equally good lyrics for Cabin Essence, even better lyrics for Wonderful, but never could have done Surf's Up. (Mike should have sung the line "Surf's up aboard a tidal wave" though, his voice would have been perfect for that!)

DYLW has the third worst lyrics of all BB songs, coming right after "The Private Life Of Bill And Sue" and "Summer Of Love".

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 19, 2013, 07:26:09 AM »

Do you mean Roll Plymouth Rock from Brian's solo version?  Do You Like Worms doesn't really have lyrics, it's mostly chanting.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #508 on: August 19, 2013, 07:31:06 AM »

Do you mean Roll Plymouth Rock from Brian's solo version?  Do You Like Worms doesn't really have lyrics, it's mostly chanting.

Doy you really expect an answer to that? As far as I know, the missing lyrics to DYLW were known before RPR was recorded, they're the same.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 19, 2013, 09:55:34 AM »

I'd say, Mike would have come up with equally good lyrics for Cabin Essence, even better lyrics for Wonderful, but never could have done Surf's Up. (Mike should have sung the line "Surf's up aboard a tidal wave" though, his voice would have been perfect for that!)

DYLW has the third worst lyrics of all BB songs, coming right after "The Private Life Of Bill And Sue" and "Summer Of Love".

Agreed. Mike had just come off Good Vibrations and would pen the lyrics to Darlin', Let The Wind Blow, Wild Honey and Here Comes The Night within the next year. He clearly could have delivered the goods.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: August 19, 2013, 02:16:14 PM »

Blondie was a phenomenal vocalist, Ricky an excellent drummer, I loved them as performers and I'm not one of those odd folks who try to discredit those two as legitimate Beach Boys members. However...

As much as the Endless Summer thing set the band back a million years, I'm so, so glad they did not continue down the path of becoming a boring, cliche 70s rawk band as they sounded on live shows in the '72 and '73. Don't get me wrong, there are some cool moments in there, but it was just extremely ill-fitting for the Beach Boys and would've made their 70s output just as dated as it ended up being, but in a different way.

It feels like people call this their "live peak" just because they sound like a traditional rock 'n' roll band. Sorry, if I wanted that sound, I'd look elsewhere, not toward the Beach Boys. Like, omg it's serious and dignified rock music, it sounds so important, it sounds like a million other bands of this era, that must mean it's good, there's no Brian Wilson-esque silliness to be found. Give me stuff like "Had To Phone Ya" or Love You over the likes of "Here She Comes" or "Hard Times" or the many updated 70s rawk arrangements of older songs which was just in really poor taste, to me. It's like they were extremely far removed from what they'd been up until that point, and not in a "Wow, they've really grown" sort of way ala Today! or Smile or whatever, but more of an "Wow, this is really ill-fitting for them and I don't understand why they're copping a bunch of other bands' style" way.

That stupid "boogie" riff and feel of the In Concert "Help Me, Rhonda" might be the best example. Come on, a thousand other songs sound exactly like that, "Help Me, Rhonda" does not need to be one of them.

IMO~~~~~~~~~~~~
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:32:01 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 19, 2013, 06:13:39 PM »

Give me stuff like "Had To Phone Ya" or Love You over the likes of "Here She Comes" or "Hard Times"

yesss
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 19, 2013, 06:30:04 PM »

I feel very different than Runners, but I like the Allman Bros. so I guess it comes down to a matter of taste.

CATP is one of my favorite albums by the Boys, as is In Concert. I would have been happy if they'd continued on in that vein for a few more decades. I laughed out loud repeatedly the first time I heard the 15BO/Love You twofer, and not in a good way. MIU and LA nearly made me weep the first time I listened to them, but not in a good way (except for Baby Blue).

Strangely, I loved KTSA and BB85. I guess my opinion isn't worth much at all after admitting all of that, eh?
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: August 19, 2013, 06:57:49 PM »

I laugh out loud every time I hear Make It Good.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #514 on: August 19, 2013, 10:20:55 PM »

I guess my opinion isn't worth much at all after admitting all of that, eh?

Exactly as much as everybody else's.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #515 on: August 19, 2013, 10:23:42 PM »

Blondie was a phenomenal vocalist, Ricky an excellent drummer, I loved them as performers and I'm not one of those odd folks who try to discredit those two as legitimate Beach Boys members. However...

As much as the Endless Summer thing set the band back a million years, I'm so, so glad they did not continue down the path of becoming a boring, cliche 70s rawk band as they sounded on live shows in the '72 and '73. Don't get me wrong, there are some cool moments in there, but it was just extremely ill-fitting for the Beach Boys and would've made their 70s output just as dated as it ended up being, but in a different way.

It feels like people call this their "live peak" just because they sound like a traditional rock 'n' roll band. Sorry, if I wanted that sound, I'd look elsewhere, not toward the Beach Boys. Like, omg it's serious and dignified rock music, it sounds so important, it sounds like a million other bands of this era, that must mean it's good, there's no Brian Wilson-esque silliness to be found. Give me stuff like "Had To Phone Ya" or Love You over the likes of "Here She Comes" or "Hard Times" or the many updated 70s rawk arrangements of older songs which was just in really poor taste, to me. It's like they were extremely far removed from what they'd been up until that point, and not in a "Wow, they've really grown" sort of way ala Today! or Smile or whatever, but more of an "Wow, this is really ill-fitting for them and I don't understand why they're copping a bunch of other bands' style" way.

That stupid "boogie" riff and feel of the In Concert "Help Me, Rhonda" might be the best example. Come on, a thousand other songs sound exactly like that, "Help Me, Rhonda" does not need to be one of them.

IMO~~~~~~~~~~~~

Agree with this unpopular opinion, except the part I made smaller.

MBE
« Reply #516 on: August 20, 2013, 02:45:15 AM »

Not artistically mind you but I often dislike  vocal only or stereo remixes on comps. I would rather the space be taken up by unreleased takes, songs, or performances. Is that controversial enough?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 20, 2013, 03:46:11 AM »

Acapella mixes are amazing, stereo remix tracks not so much. I admit I do get intrigued by them but it's more educational in places.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 20, 2013, 04:14:59 AM »

I'm with runners. To me early 70s rock is the slough of despond, and anything that makes the Beach Boys more like that is a bad move. But that's probably because I really, really DON'T like the Allman Brothers. Or the Doobies, or the Eagles, or Bachman Turner Overdrive — or anything like that.

And yet, also like runners, I do like what Blondie and Ricky bought to the band. I like that they injected a ton of new energy, and made the touring Beach Boys sound *different*. And Carl and the Passions is fun as a one-off studio effort that takes that ethos from the road to the studio; but I'm not sure I would have liked Beach Boys albums to start sounding that way in the long run.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 20, 2013, 04:16:04 AM »

And here's another one:

The change from beautiful crystalline chamber pop on Sunflower to the more proggy, 'serious-sounding' Surf's Up is widely regarded as a good move that started to revive the Beach Boys' commercial fortunes in the early 70s.

That's never sat well with me. Surf's Up sounds like a mash of poorly integrated material to me - I actually prefer CATP as something that plays through more coherently. Not to denigrate some of the individual tracks, like Til I Die and the title track, but Surf's Up doesn't work as a whole album to me at all.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #520 on: August 21, 2013, 04:36:37 PM »

Here's one.

As much as I love him, I often find Brian harping on about his mental illness and abusive father quite irritating. After all, some people in the world have had it much worse without all the money and opportunities he has had. Some people in the world are starving and would laugh in his face (if they weren't too busy starving) when he talked about his problems.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #521 on: August 21, 2013, 04:37:33 PM »

I think it's more that he's constantly asked about mental illness, drugs, and his dad just about every single time he's interviewed. That's the kind of stuff journalists love writing about and folks love a nice easy to grasp character arc.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #522 on: August 21, 2013, 04:41:45 PM »

True, but wouldn't it be refreshing if he, and all the other self obsessed celebrities with their 'problems' turned round and said "actually, I'm really lucky, some people in the world really have it hard", when questioned?

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #523 on: August 21, 2013, 04:46:31 PM »

Sure, those sort of People-magazine-type-people babbling about their problems get awfully obnoxious.

I dunno that in Brian's case. problems should be in mocking quotes. It's not like he's whining about being a chocoholic or claims to be a sex addict! He seems to just want to tell the person what they want to hear in as few words as possible to get the interview over with quickly, not really self-obsessing. I'd imagine he'd have much longer, whinier interviews if that were the case.

Gushing to Oprah, say. She'd be all over that story. Or People.

D'oh! I give up. Time for dinner.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 04:53:42 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 21, 2013, 04:57:36 PM »

Here's one.

As much as I love him, I often find Brian harping on about his mental illness and abusive father quite irritating. After all, some people in the world have had it much worse without all the money and opportunities he has had. Some people in the world are starving and would laugh in his face (if they weren't too busy starving) when he talked about his problems.

Mental illness is not something that can be controlled.  If you went up to a person suffering from clinical depression and told them to cheer up because people in the world have it much worse, you're going to get some dirty looks.  Yeah, Brian has had huge success but all the love and money in the world isn't going to cure him, that's not how it works.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx