gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:33:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348298 times)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 13, 2013, 03:05:34 PM »

Is "Time To Get Alone" as good as Pet Sounds? Maybe not quite, but it's still a really good song. I think it was unfortunate that the BBs cut out the bridge with the horns, but it didn't ruin the song.

"Cabinessence" is a ridiculously brilliant song, although I've always thought that the mix on the chorus came out a bit too muddled. It lacks the ideal dynamic range it needed. Actually, I have that complaint about a lot of Smile. I don't know if the tapes became worn from being overplayed or what, but the mixes often sound kinda flat, especially compared to the excellent clarity and dynamics on Beatles releases at the time, Brian seems to have maybe applied Spector-style mono engineering when a more modern approach was necessary to capture the full range of sounds he was dreaming up.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 13, 2013, 03:40:27 PM »

My unpopular BB opinion...'Time to Get Alone' is way overrated. Its an ok song, but not one that lives up to the standards set by Brian before 1967.

Maybe if it was recorded by Redwood, it could have made sense. But with a BB production, nope.
Maybe so, but there is nothing as pretty as "deep and wide" section. Just stunning!

Funny you would post that.... I like "Time To Get Alone" a lot, but I could see it as being overrated. However, I NEVER liked the "deep and wide" part. I always found it out of place and annoying. It never made any sense to me how that part "fit" the rest of the song.
Seriously? Listen to the words of the song and then figure where they are singing that causes an echo effect. Haven't you ever yelled across a valley from the top of a mountainside?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 13, 2013, 05:22:18 PM »

My unpopular BB opinion...'Time to Get Alone' is way overrated. Its an ok song, but not one that lives up to the standards set by Brian before 1967.

Maybe if it was recorded by Redwood, it could have made sense. But with a BB production, nope.
Maybe so, but there is nothing as pretty as "deep and wide" section. Just stunning!

Funny you would post that.... I like "Time To Get Alone" a lot, but I could see it as being overrated. However, I NEVER liked the "deep and wide" part. I always found it out of place and annoying. It never made any sense to me how that part "fit" the rest of the song.
Seriously? Listen to the words of the song and then figure where they are singing that causes an echo effect. Haven't you ever yelled across a valley from the top of a mountainside?

Wow. You just absolutely HATE the rest of us, don't you, Doctor?
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 13, 2013, 05:23:55 PM »

I agree that the "deep and wide" part is annoying.  Not sure I would call it out of place, though.  The problem for me is that, as some folks have pointed out in the past, the "deep and wide" line is a bit too loud and jarring.  Here you have a mellow, feel-good little ditty abruptly interrupted by a wake up call, and then it goes back into mellow mode with some breathtaking harmonies into the fade.  I like what Mark Linnett did by taking the "D & W" part down a few notches; that works a lot better for me and is a little less in your face.  Problem is, that's the only thing I like about his remix.  

Sooooooo, there you have it.....I've tossed out a few opinions.  Don't know if any of them are unpopular.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 13, 2013, 05:54:20 PM »

He said he didn't understand how it fit. I explained how it fit. How the f*** is that HATE? Now, if the Sheriff had an issue, I would understand, but you? What fucking right do you have to say that? I generally never hate anything, but I just might make an exception for you. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: August 13, 2013, 06:03:21 PM »

When I say stuff like "Seriously", I am honestly dumbfounded by what I read. I have heard this song for over 40 years and understood the "Deep and wide" since the first time I heard it. So, I am sometimes surprised by some of the things I read. It's an honest reaction, not a put down to the poster. I guess this is where if I spoke instead of written my reply, everyone would of understood what I meant. So Sheriff, if you took offense to my answer, I apologize ahead of time to you.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 13, 2013, 06:17:36 PM »

When I say stuff like "Seriously", I am honestly dumbfounded by what I read. I have heard this song for over 40 years and understood the "Deep and wide" since the first time I heard it. So, I am sometimes surprised by some of the things I read. It's an honest reaction, not a put down to the poster. I guess this is where if I spoke instead of written my reply, everyone would of understood what I meant. So Sheriff, if you took offense to my answer, I apologize ahead of time to you.

No offense.

I didn't word my post well. Of course I know how "deep and wide" fits lyrically, thematically, and what they were trying to get across with the loud echo effect. But, sockittome's post says it much better than I did. The part is loud and jarring, and I don't think that loud singing/vocal arrangement FITS with the mellow, laid back essence of the song. But that's just my unpopular opinion.

I wanted to throw in something about "Cabinessence". I'm not posting this to disagree with any previous posters, but I think "Cabinessence" is in the Top 5 of Brian's most brilliant - or something like that, maybe mind blowing, jaw dropping, or "how did he write that" - compositions. I've listened to it a thousand times in my lifetime and it still impresses me. Whenever I think of the scrapping of SMiLE going into the recording of Smiley Smile, I always think of "Cabinessence (even more than "Surf's Up') and think, "How could somebody (Brian) NOT want that song to be heard"?
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 13, 2013, 06:29:46 PM »

He said he didn't understand how it fit. I explained how it fit. How the f*** is that HATE? Now, if the Sheriff had an issue, I would understand, but you? What fucking right do you have to say that? I generally never hate anything, but I just might make an exception for you. Wink

Discussion of "Time To Get Alone" isn't worth that kind of language.
Jason
« Reply #483 on: August 13, 2013, 06:41:27 PM »

That is such a stupid post; I don't even know where to begin. How in the hell do you arrive at such a ridiculous, nonsensical conclusion?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 13, 2013, 07:19:26 PM »

You are correct, that was uncalled for. I lost my temper. To you and anyone else who was offended, my sincere apology for saying that. Just so you know, it was not the song, but saying that I must HATE everyone that ticked me off.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #485 on: August 13, 2013, 11:52:19 PM »

You are correct, that was uncalled for. I lost my temper. To you and anyone else who was offended, my sincere apology for saying that. Just so you know, it was not the song, but saying that I must HATE everyone that ticked me off.

I think you were absolutely justified in using the f-word. You made a perfectly reasonable (and accurate) counter-argument re Time To Get Alone, and in response you were accused of hating everybody. It was ridiculous! Quite frankly I think you've shown restraint if anything. Honestly, if someone's only response to having someone disagree with them is to resort to accusing them of being hate-filled then they're in serious need of some perspective... and should f*** off.
signedsincerely
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 15, 2013, 08:34:06 AM »

First time I've seen this thread!

The main one I have is that the order of the Pet Sounds track list is atrocious; it feels like they hit the "randomize" button to decide it.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 15, 2013, 08:42:51 AM »

Is "Time To Get Alone" as good as Pet Sounds? Maybe not quite, but it's still a really good song. I think it was unfortunate that the BBs cut out the bridge with the horns, but it didn't ruin the song.

"Cabinessence" is a ridiculously brilliant song, although I've always thought that the mix on the chorus came out a bit too muddled. It lacks the ideal dynamic range it needed. Actually, I have that complaint about a lot of Smile. I don't know if the tapes became worn from being overplayed or what, but the mixes often sound kinda flat, especially compared to the excellent clarity and dynamics on Beatles releases at the time, Brian seems to have maybe applied Spector-style mono engineering when a more modern approach was necessary to capture the full range of sounds he was dreaming up.

I personally find the horns in the Hawthorne version a bit superfluous, that being said, the a cappella ending is fantastic, tacking it onto Mark's 2009 remix is one of the better things I've done with my life Cool Guy

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #488 on: August 15, 2013, 09:15:24 AM »

I have very few unpopular Beach Boys opinions...hmmm lemme think..

- 'Baby Blue' is Denny's best song with the group, not 'Forever', wonderful as it is.

- The early stuff is sometimes as good better than SMiLE music or Sunflower, depending on the song.

- Tony Asher is a better BW collaborator than Van Dyke Parks. Or at very least they wrote better songs together.

- Wild Honey's greatness can only really be enjoyed in mono. In fact I think that's true with most of the BBs 60s output. This opinion seems to be growing less and less popular everyday...

- 'Sloop John B' is one of the best tracks on Pet Sounds, and one of the best things the band ever recorded.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
MBE
« Reply #489 on: August 15, 2013, 12:25:02 PM »

Summer Days, it would not bother me if I never hear a stereo Beach Boys mix from before Friends again. I love mono.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 15, 2013, 01:36:18 PM »

I'm not a very big fan of Good Vibrations. I can see why it was a hit, and I like the production, but the song itself underwhelms me. Give me Wouldn't It Be Nice or Sloop John B any day.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 01:37:23 PM by Gabo » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 15, 2013, 01:46:03 PM »

I'm not a very big fan of Good Vibrations. I can see why it was a hit, and I like the production, but the song itself underwhelms me. Give me Wouldn't It Be Nice or Sloop John B any day.
I like GV, but like you, I prefer the other two over it, as well. Wouldn't It Be Nice is my favorite Beach Boys song, bar done. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: August 15, 2013, 05:18:04 PM »

I like the majority of the stereo remixes.  And what's really cool is that we still have the original monos; they have not been recalled.  Everybody should be happy!  Smiley
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 15, 2013, 08:15:14 PM »

The poor execution of the tambourine hit in Good Vibrations @14s bugs me quite a bit. Same with the fidelity change between "I love the coulorful clothes she wears" and "and the way the sunlight plays along her hair".

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: August 15, 2013, 09:34:18 PM »

Not sure if this has already been written but....

SMiLE wouldve been 10x the album it is if it werent for VDP stupid, nonsensical, boring lyrics.

I gotta heart that just wont stop beating for you, I gotta love that just can’t stop feeling for you
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #495 on: August 15, 2013, 10:18:28 PM »

Here's an unpopular opinion that will blow minds...

I'm SO sick of the Mike v the rest of the band feud that at this point, I'm enjoying the Beatles' music more these days, because there's much less baggage associated with it. There's something I never would've said a month ago. I think Brian's a genius, Mike's talented in his own right, Al is a true professional musically, Dave's a great guitarist and cool guy, and Bruce is...Bruce, but I wish everybody would just shut the hell up and just play music. There. I said it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 15, 2013, 10:26:08 PM »

Wrong thread.

That's a popular opinion here!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #497 on: August 15, 2013, 10:40:10 PM »

Yeah, but it seems like many side with one side or the other. Me? I'm pissed at both. Thank God the boxed set is coming out...I may not be able to afford it but we REALLY need a reminder of why we're here, cause this petty bickering in the press sure as hell ain't it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 16, 2013, 01:30:42 AM »

Love Surrounds Me was long, slow and boring.
I agree with you, only correction it is still long, slow & boring.

Nonsense. Dennis dared to be different. The rest of the group were (terminally) stuck in the past. That's the reality.

At least Brian became by the early 70's when he regressed into his oldies music. He didn't approve of the guitar driven hippie period and since his efforts were recieved lukewarmly after PS he slowly gave up and decided what the audience wanted was not something he was prepared to make.

Carl and Dennis tried to stay contemporary and Mike& Al could be contemporary when directed so. Brian however was the real oldies guy. Bruce was a joke. the least hippest dude to live on the west coast.

Yeah man, it's all about being hip and keeping up with trends. The best artists and people conform to what's going on around them.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 16, 2013, 01:35:34 AM »

Not sure if this has already been written but....

SMiLE wouldve been 10x the album it is if it werent for VDP stupid, nonsensical, boring lyrics.

Mike?! Is that you?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx