gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:47:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348221 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #400 on: July 06, 2013, 12:27:51 PM »

L.A. Light is a very good album.  Remove "SB" and cut "HCTN" down to 4 minutes, and the album compares favorably with anything else I was digging of the period:  Ambrosia, Player, Christopher Cross, Boz Scaggs, etc.  Even as is, it is MILES better than the album before and the album after.  Very well done.

I'd rather listen to almost any BB album than LA Light, but I suppose that's just as unpopular of an opinion as well.

I enjoy it, but have to be in the right mood. That album can really - I hate to say it - not bore you, but mellow you out maybe. A lot of slow stuff. It was the great shoulda/coulda/woulda album for me. After so much Brian on 15 Big Ones, Love You, and even MIU, I was expecting so much. So disappointing. He's basically not even on the album. You need a magnifying glass to find him...

Surely the fact that Dennis's songs didn't feature on the previous three albums at all is even more disappointing, particularly as - unlike Brian - he was in his song-writing prime?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 06, 2013, 12:34:22 PM »

Half a page on the LA album and no comment yet on Sumahama, which I have always kinda liked. Razz
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 06, 2013, 01:21:54 PM »

I don't mind slick, AC pop - I just don't think there's much substance on that album. Nothing to grab you. Good Timin' is really nice, Lady Lynda is fine, Sumahama isn't terrible. Everything else just does nothing for me. Part of it also must have to do with the fact I can barely stand Dennis' vocals when they got so raspy that he took on another persona (vocally). I know people cream for that sound but I'm not a fan at all.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 06, 2013, 01:57:38 PM »

I don't mind slick, AC pop - I just don't think there's much substance on that album. Nothing to grab you.

To each his own, but I will say that "Love Surrounds Me" actually does grab me, even though (or maybe BECAUSE) the sound and structure is strikingly unusual for the boys.  There's just something about that tune that I really dig.

How's THAT for an unpopular opinion?

And thanks to all those who were so welcoming.  This seems like a great board.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 01:58:31 PM by job » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #404 on: July 06, 2013, 02:03:46 PM »

I don't mind slick, AC pop - I just don't think there's much substance on that album. Nothing to grab you.

To each his own, but I will say that "Love Surrounds Me" actually does grab me, even though (or maybe BECAUSE) the sound and structure is strikingly unusual for the boys.  There's just something about that tune that I really dig.

How's THAT for an unpopular opinion?

And thanks to all those who were so welcoming.  This seems like a great board.

Again, sorry to disappoint but 'Love Surrounds Me' is also widely considered a very good tune. Now say that you really dig 'Summer Of Love' and you'd be treading on egg shells...
Russ_B66
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: July 07, 2013, 09:09:43 AM »

Mike is certainly on the egotistical side and has filed more that his share of lawsuits. Outside of those areas, one could make quite a case for saying that he is a decent hardworking human being. Dennis seems to get a free pass by a lot of people on this board. His behavior was deplorable at times and it impacted the band in a negative way. I have never seen Mike when he wasn't on stage doing his best to give the fans their money's worth.

I am not a Mike apologist but Dennis has been gone for almost 30 years. I don't believe that he was contributing much to the band, except Baby Blue, for the last 5 years. I think that there was a window of time when he peaked but then there was a sad decline. I think that his stuff on Sunflower was great. CAPST was just okay. POB was way overrated.
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 09, 2013, 04:05:45 PM »

Since the LA discussion has come up, another one comes to mind for me...

The worst three albums for the band vocally-speaking are TWGMTR, KTSA, and L.A.  I do think L.A. has some fantastic tracks, but the processing on certain tracks is grating to say the least.  Keepin' the Summer Alive, Johnston's second production album, suffers from much of the same problem and has much less song quality to support itself. I think the autotune on TWGMTR speaks for itself despite a number of great songs and little disastrous.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 06:02:59 AM by TimeToGetAlone » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 09, 2013, 05:39:48 PM »

The worst three albums for the band vocally-speaking are TGWMTR, KTSA, and L.A.  I do think L.A. has some fantastic tracks, but the processing on certain tracks is grating to say the least.  Keepin' the Summer Alive, Johnston's second production album, suffers from much of the same problem and has much less song quality to support itself. I think the autotune on TWGMTR speaks for itself despite a number of great songs and little disastrous.
I have no problems with any of the three. After all the complaints going around about autotune, the only one that really sounds terrible on a few tracks is on the new Live CD.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 09, 2013, 05:43:06 PM »

I don't think there was anything wrong with the Landy lyrics on BW 88. They're fine for me!
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 09, 2013, 06:48:12 PM »

Love Surrounds Me was long, slow and boring.
JohnnyQuest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 10, 2013, 01:54:39 AM »

Friends was a horrifically underproduced tragedy.

You and I is Denny's best song.

Carl failed miserably at "singing" soulful.

The Night Was So Young was their greatest post pet sounds song.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 06:39:35 PM by JohnnyQuest » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #411 on: July 10, 2013, 04:30:49 AM »

I enjoy it, but have to be in the right mood. That album can really - I hate to say it - not bore you, but mellow you out maybe.

To me, LA is less boring than either CATP or Holland. I really like Angel Come Home and the intro to Sumahama, just before Mike starts singing.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 10, 2013, 04:39:29 AM »

L.A. Light is a very good album.  Remove "SB" and cut "HCTN" down to 4 minutes, and the album compares favorably with anything else I was digging of the period:  Ambrosia, Player, Christopher Cross, Boz Scaggs, etc.  Even as is, it is MILES better than the album before and the album after.  Very well done.

I totally agree with removing "Shortenon' Bread"; it might be the most misplaced song on any BB album. I also agree with cutting down "Here Comes The Night". But that would leave you enough space for THREE alternate songs, not just two. With all the recording that Brian Wilson did in 1976-77, it's hard to believe they couldn't use some of those songs, and the one they do choose is "Shortenin' Bread".  Roll Eyes

California Feelin' and another Dennis Bambu track would've made for a killer album! (Oh, and yes, welcome to the board Job!)

CalFeelin' and All Alone imo! the alternate and uncomplete All Alone is the best one ;]
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 10, 2013, 02:10:15 PM »

The worst three albums for the band vocally-speaking are TGWMTR, KTSA, and L.A.  I do think L.A. has some fantastic tracks, but the processing on certain tracks is grating to say the least.  Keepin' the Summer Alive, Johnston's second production album, suffers from much of the same problem and has much less song quality to support itself. I think the autotune on TWGMTR speaks for itself despite a number of great songs and little disastrous.
I have no problems with any of the three. After all the complaints going around about autotune, the only one that really sounds terrible on a few tracks is on the new Live CD.
Haven't given a listen to the live CD, and I consider TWGMTR a good album overall, so I'm not saying the vocals are that much of a problem.  However, I do think it is noticeable in comparison to even much inferior songs from the past where the voices sound natural if nothing else.
Gohi
« Reply #414 on: July 10, 2013, 02:13:27 PM »

I think Crack at Your Love is a good song and one of the only highlights on BB' 85  Shocked
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 10, 2013, 09:16:19 PM »

Most of Sweet Insanity is completely average, with awkward sounding leads from Brian and was generally a step down from BW88, but "This Song Wants To Sleep With You Tonight" is a nice love song with a Pet Sounds-sounding bass overdub and "Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel" is one of his best solo songs ever. It's intro sounds slicker than anything Joe Thomas could ever dream of producing and is really a haunting statement on Landy's control over Brian's relationships.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Nicko1234
« Reply #416 on: July 10, 2013, 09:54:35 PM »

Most of Sweet Insanity is completely average, with awkward sounding leads from Brian and was generally a step down from BW88, but "This Song Wants To Sleep With You Tonight" is a nice love song with a Pet Sounds-sounding bass overdub and "Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel" is one of his best solo songs ever. It's intro sounds slicker than anything Joe Thomas could ever dream of producing and is really a haunting statement on Landy's control over Brian's relationships.

This Song Wants to Sleep with you Tonight is from well after the Sweet Insanity period though isn`t it?

wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 10, 2013, 10:38:53 PM »

This Song Wants to Sleep with you Tonight is from well after the Sweet Insanity period though isn`t it?

Was it? Guess I can blame the not-quite-legal channels for not being period accurate, then.  Grin Brian certainly sounded the part on that song though. Glad his voice has recovered since then.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 11, 2013, 03:27:20 AM »

Yeah, it's produced by Don Was, written with Andy Paley? 1995, I think.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 11, 2013, 09:02:52 AM »

You and I is Denny's best song.

I hope that's not an unpopular opinion

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: July 11, 2013, 09:20:43 AM »

If Landy had been allowed to write new lyrics for the SMile songs as he had intended, making it a "self help" mental therapy themed album, the result would have far surpassed BWPS.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 11, 2013, 09:27:10 AM »

Landy wanted to redo SMiLE?  I've heard of this... did any work come of it?

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 11, 2013, 09:34:22 AM »

I don't think there was anything wrong with the Landy lyrics on BW 88. They're fine for me!
Setting aside the fact that he was Brian's shrink at the time -- Landy was really just like another collaborator -- a working relationship Brian usually preferred.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 09:35:38 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 11, 2013, 09:38:31 AM »

Rio Grande sounds forced and a little contrived.  Some great moments, of course -- but it never did much for me as a "piece."  I don't think Brian was actually "into" doing that one at that time.  Perhaps on its own it's good -- but it doesn't fit the mid-80s aesthetic, nor the aesthetic of that album.  It's just all wrong for me.

Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 11, 2013, 04:08:11 PM »

I love Male Ego.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx