gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:26:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348123 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: June 28, 2013, 04:59:14 PM »

Another one I remembered: Mike's rendition of I'm Waiting for the Day is worlds better than Brian's.

Also, Brian's performance of GOK rivals Carl's.

Don't you mean Carl's performance rivals Carl's, since he did both?

The Pet Sounds Sessions has a version with Brian on lead.

Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 28, 2013, 09:20:15 PM »

After C50, The Beach Boys name should be reserved for special projects that involve the whole group. Mike can continue touring as The Beach Boys Touring Band, or some such thing.

AGD or someone may be able to confirm but that may be the case. Is there a legal reason we often see the term 'The Beach Boys Band'? Their own website is a case in point.

http://www.beachboysband.net/

Speaking of that website, it says there that
"THE ORIGINAL FOUNDING MEMBERS OF THE BEACH BOYS ARE ...
Mike Love / Brian Wilson / Alan Jardine /
Dave Marks / Bruce Johnston
Carl Wilson (Deceased) / Dennis Wilson (Deceased)"

My first thought was, "Hey cool.  They're giving David credit as a founding member and that's fine because things went so fast with so much overlap in the beginning."  It might not be technically correct but OK.  But then I went, "Huh?  Bruce???"

OK....
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 28, 2013, 10:20:20 PM »

I guess Bruce is an original member in the sense that he was in the group during their classic era and it sets him apart from the other guys in the touring band.  Like saying original members Mike Love and Bruce Johnston is simpler than saying "original member Mike Love" and "touring member turned bandmate who left after a few years then came back as a producer and started touring with them again and decided to become a member of the group again Bruce Johnston."

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 28, 2013, 10:37:50 PM »

After C50, The Beach Boys name should be reserved for special projects that involve the whole group. Mike can continue touring as The Beach Boys Touring Band, or some such thing.

AGD or someone may be able to confirm but that may be the case. Is there a legal reason we often see the term 'The Beach Boys Band'? Their own website is a case in point.

http://www.beachboysband.net/

That's the site dedicated to the backing musicians. Hence "Beach Boys Band."
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 28, 2013, 11:01:23 PM »

Ok. The 'Tour Schedule' link also makes an effort to differentiate however.

http://www.beachboysband.net/TOURSCH/BB_TOUR_SCH.htm

THE TOURING BEACH BOYS - 2013
featuring two original members: Mike Love & Bruce Johnston

Hey its just nit-picking I know. But the site is making every effort to inform that this is not the C50 line-up and good on them.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 28, 2013, 11:14:33 PM »

And if you scroll down to the bottom and play "Name that tune," all of the songs there are Adrian Baker recordings.  LOL

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 29, 2013, 12:44:35 PM »

I doubt he gives a damn what people think of him. Like it or not, he's successful and they're not.

he told me he reads the board daily and when he comes across a negative post about himself he listens to getmad.mp3

Also, yeah man, successful people (like touring members of a Beach Boys solo project) should never, ever take criticism into account from people with less money than they have. I mean they have money, they're obviously always right. "I don't listen to those lowly pissants, they're just fans who give me said money" they say.

That is probably the best post ever. And I'm never one to say that. But I hate the whole "well he's rich and you're not, so f*** off" thing. Strikes me as a very American type thing, moreso a conservative, "I've got mine, go get your own" type thing. Sucks.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 30, 2013, 03:26:10 PM »

That's what it says on the tracklisting, but several people on this forum have noted that it is in fact Carl on all the alternate PSS versions. I have no idea if it's true or not, Carl's earliest vocals sometimes did sound a whole lot like Brian.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: June 30, 2013, 06:00:49 PM »

It's Carl. David Leaf later admitted it was a mistake.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 30, 2013, 06:05:22 PM »

It's Carl. David Leaf later admitted it was a mistake.

After listening to that again, I don't see how I was ever fooled into thinking that was Brian's voice.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 02, 2013, 05:43:37 PM »

Mike Love deserves, like, 95% of what he gets. His attitude to the group is absolutely atrocious.

Michael does deserve what he gets. No one else has helped keep the band a stale parody of the group with no artistic ambition alive more than Michael. No one is a bigger supporter of Brian continued royalty cheques than Michael. Yes, that's so atrocious.

This is the guy who responded to a US #3 album (and a mostly artistically successful one) and a massive worldwide tour in stadiums he hasn't seen since the 80's by saying 'no thank you', and would rather play second fiddle to boy bands and The Gruffalo in the UK instead. He is a classic example of foolish pride.

I love Mike Love, but Brian comes out and says 'Hey guys, I want to put 3 albums of wildly varying material soon with Al and David Marks and my great band and dubious guitar legends' and Mike wants me to come see him support JLS and The Gruffalo. One is an artist at this stage. The other is a hack.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 05:45:09 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 02, 2013, 05:46:16 PM »

Mike Love deserves, like, 95% of what he gets. His attitude to the group is absolutely atrocious.

Michael does deserve what he gets. No one else has helped keep the band a stale parody of the group with no artistic ambition alive more than Michael. No one is a bigger supporter of Brian continued royalty cheques than Michael. Yes, that's so atrocious.

This is the guy who responded to a US #3 album and a massive worldwide tour in stadiums he hasn't seen since the 80's by saying 'no thank you', and would rather play second fiddle to boy bands and The Gruffalo in the UK instead. He is a classic example of foolish pride.

I love Mike Love, but Brian comes out and says 'Hey guys, I want to put 3 albums of wildly varying material soon with Al and David Marks and my great band and dubious guitar legends' and Mike wants me to come see him support JLS and The Gruffalo. One is an artist at this stage. The other is a hack.

wow, I love it.

You're the bomb hypehat

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 02, 2013, 05:55:15 PM »

Agreed, shady.... Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 02, 2013, 06:03:19 PM »

My cousin Brian Wilson isn't a genius.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 02, 2013, 07:31:05 PM »

Mike Love is a great singer and a good performer.  I believe he has admiration for Brian but I also believe that admiration isn't as high as his jealousy and his greed.  There is no doubt that Mike suffers from a superiority complex and I feel embarrassed for him because he seems to be oblivious to his reputation and is only interested in how much credit he gets and how much money it gets him.  The Smile lawsuit was one of the most ridiculous examples of this and honestly, I understand completely why people think of Mike Love as such a prick in reference to that.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: July 04, 2013, 07:30:20 AM »

That's what it says on the tracklisting, but several people on this forum have noted that it is in fact Carl on all the alternate PSS versions. I have no idea if it's true or not, Carl's earliest vocals sometimes did sound a whole lot like Brian.
After playing alternate GOK again, I still don't hear any trace of Carl's voice - it's definitely Brian. I can't describe why I think so, but that's him. I'm aware of the fact that Carl & Brian sound similar at times, no surprise since they're brothers. However, not to the extent that they can't be distinguished. Surely, I'd recognize if that'd be indeed Carl on another GOK. So, let me trust my own ears, i.e. agree to disagree with posters here who think otherwise.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 06, 2013, 08:31:28 AM »

L.A. Light is a very good album.  Remove "SB" and cut "HCTN" down to 4 minutes, and the album compares favorably with anything else I was digging of the period:  Ambrosia, Player, Christopher Cross, Boz Scaggs, etc.  Even as is, it is MILES better than the album before and the album after.  Very well done.
Jason
« Reply #392 on: July 06, 2013, 09:05:13 AM »

L.A. Light is a very good album.  Remove "SB" and cut "HCTN" down to 4 minutes, and the album compares favorably with anything else I was digging of the period:  Ambrosia, Player, Christopher Cross, Boz Scaggs, etc.  Even as is, it is MILES better than the album before and the album after.  Very well done.

Excellent first post. I like you. I like you a lot. And I agree 100%.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #393 on: July 06, 2013, 10:53:27 AM »

Agree with that, although I'd rather keep SB and cut HCTN entirely. Although saying LA Light Album is a good album and better than MIU and/or KTSA isn't much of an unpopular opinion, at least on this board.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 06, 2013, 11:03:24 AM »

I agree that HCTN should have been the single mix, but I am fine With Shortenin' Bread ending the LP. Kinda like Transcendental Meditation ending Friends. It really needed another Brian tune to fill it out. I agree too that it was very contemporary in 1979.

Welcome to the board, job! Smiley
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 11:04:23 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 06, 2013, 11:15:46 AM »

I totally agree with removing "Shortenon' Bread"; it might be the most misplaced song on any BB album. I also agree with cutting down "Here Comes The Night". But that would leave you enough space for THREE alternate songs, not just two. With all the recording that Brian Wilson did in 1976-77, it's hard to believe they couldn't use some of those songs, and the one they do choose is "Shortenin' Bread".  Roll Eyes
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #396 on: July 06, 2013, 11:26:41 AM »

I totally agree with removing "Shortenon' Bread"; it might be the most misplaced song on any BB album. I also agree with cutting down "Here Comes The Night". But that would leave you enough space for THREE alternate songs, not just two. With all the recording that Brian Wilson did in 1976-77, it's hard to believe they couldn't use some of those songs, and the one they do choose is "Shortenin' Bread".  Roll Eyes

California Feelin' and another Dennis Bambu track would've made for a killer album! (Oh, and yes, welcome to the board Job!)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 06, 2013, 11:33:49 AM »

Welcome to the board! I'd rather listen to almost any BB album than LA Light, but I suppose that's just as unpopular of an opinion as well.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 06, 2013, 11:51:08 AM »

After playing alternate GOK again, I still don't hear any trace of Carl's voice - it's definitely Brian. I can't describe why I think so, but that's him. I'm aware of the fact that Carl & Brian sound similar at times, no surprise since they're brothers. However, not to the extent that they can't be distinguished. Surely, I'd recognize if that'd be indeed Carl on another GOK. So, let me trust my own ears, i.e. agree to disagree with posters here who think otherwise.

I agree, there's no way that isn't Brian.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 06, 2013, 12:24:52 PM »

I'd rather listen to almost any BB album than LA Light, but I suppose that's just as unpopular of an opinion as well.

I enjoy it, but have to be in the right mood. That album can really - I hate to say it - not bore you, but mellow you out maybe. A lot of slow stuff. It was the great shoulda/coulda/woulda album for me. After so much Brian on 15 Big Ones, Love You, and even MIU, I was expecting so much. So disappointing. He's basically not even on the album. You need a magnifying glass to find him...
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx