gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:57:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348118 times)
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 26, 2013, 11:39:11 AM »

--Brian Wilson was an absolute musical genius, but the rest of the band--outside of being good singers--had little talent (relative to bands of comparable prestige).  As a collaborative band unit, the Beach Boys can’t even be compared to 60s peers like The Beatles and Rolling Stones. A lot of Beach Boys music can stand proudly in the ring against the all-time pop/rock greats; but all of that music can be categorized as “Brian Wilson featuring The Beach Boys.”

Writing and arranging all or the basis of "Little Bird", "Be Still", "Be With Me", "All I Want To Do", "Let The Wind Blow", "Slip On Through", "Got To Know The Woman", "Deirdre", "It's About Time", "Tears In The Morning", "Lady", "Sound Of Free", "A Time To Live In Dreams", "Barbara", "All I Wanna Do", "Forever", "Feel Flows", "Don't Go Near The Water", "Long Promised Road", "Take A Load Off Your Feet", "Disney Girls", "Lookin' At Tomorrow", "All This Is That", "Make It Good", "Cuddle Up", "The Trader", "Big Sur", "Steamboat", "On My Way To Sunny Californ-i-a", "Holy Man", "San Miguel", "4th Of July", "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again", "Only With You", "River Song", "Thoughts Of You", "Farewell My Friend", "Forever", "Angel Come Home", "Where I Belong", "Baby Blue", "Getcha Back", "Keepin' The Summer Alive", etc. etc. etc. etc. as well as numerous great production jobs = "little talent".

I realize the songs here vary in quality, but at the very least, I feel they all (as well as other songs written by non-Brians) have something worthwhile to offer. This isn't even including their numerous contributions to Brian's songs. SHEESH.

P.S. What are some bands of "comparable prestige" and why do they matter in this context?

Well put. Quite frankly anyone who is familiar with the Beach Boys full output and yet still believes (or pretends to believe) that 'Brian Wilson = the Beach Boys' is a fucking idiot. Sorry to be blunt, but its true.

The only aspect of your post I'd disagree with is when you say 'I realize the songs here vary in quality'. Aside from Getcha Back and Keepin' The Summer Alive, I would actually say that the above list is an utterly tremendous collection of songs; one in fact that most other groups would kill for.

(sigh)

I suppose one unpopular opinion I have is that many, if not most, posters on this board are way, way, way too emotionally invested in the supposed greatness of every band member.  I would never say that Brian is/was the Beach Boys, but he was far and away the main songwriting and composing talent.

And notice that a good portion of the above list is Dennis songs, while others ("Tears in the Morning," "Take a Load Off Your Feet") would be laughed at by most people outside this board.

If all of the pre-Holland Beach Boys' songs that were not primarily by Brian or Dennis disappeared tomorrow, I think I'd only miss Feel Flows.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #351 on: June 26, 2013, 02:45:40 PM »

--Brian Wilson was an absolute musical genius, but the rest of the band--outside of being good singers--had little talent (relative to bands of comparable prestige).  As a collaborative band unit, the Beach Boys can’t even be compared to 60s peers like The Beatles and Rolling Stones. A lot of Beach Boys music can stand proudly in the ring against the all-time pop/rock greats; but all of that music can be categorized as “Brian Wilson featuring The Beach Boys.”

Writing and arranging all or the basis of "Little Bird", "Be Still", "Be With Me", "All I Want To Do", "Let The Wind Blow", "Slip On Through", "Got To Know The Woman", "Deirdre", "It's About Time", "Tears In The Morning", "Lady", "Sound Of Free", "A Time To Live In Dreams", "Barbara", "All I Wanna Do", "Forever", "Feel Flows", "Don't Go Near The Water", "Long Promised Road", "Take A Load Off Your Feet", "Disney Girls", "Lookin' At Tomorrow", "All This Is That", "Make It Good", "Cuddle Up", "The Trader", "Big Sur", "Steamboat", "On My Way To Sunny Californ-i-a", "Holy Man", "San Miguel", "4th Of July", "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again", "Only With You", "River Song", "Thoughts Of You", "Farewell My Friend", "Forever", "Angel Come Home", "Where I Belong", "Baby Blue", "Getcha Back", "Keepin' The Summer Alive", etc. etc. etc. etc. as well as numerous great production jobs = "little talent".

I realize the songs here vary in quality, but at the very least, I feel they all (as well as other songs written by non-Brians) have something worthwhile to offer. This isn't even including their numerous contributions to Brian's songs. SHEESH.

P.S. What are some bands of "comparable prestige" and why do they matter in this context?

Well put. Quite frankly anyone who is familiar with the Beach Boys full output and yet still believes (or pretends to believe) that 'Brian Wilson = the Beach Boys' is a fucking idiot. Sorry to be blunt, but its true.

The only aspect of your post I'd disagree with is when you say 'I realize the songs here vary in quality'. Aside from Getcha Back and Keepin' The Summer Alive, I would actually say that the above list is an utterly tremendous collection of songs; one in fact that most other groups would kill for.

(sigh)

I suppose one unpopular opinion I have is that many, if not most, posters on this board are way, way, way too emotionally invested in the supposed greatness of every band member.  I would never say that Brian is/was the Beach Boys, but he was far and away the main songwriting and composing talent.

And notice that a good portion of the above list is Dennis songs, while others ("Tears in the Morning," "Take a Load Off Your Feet") would be laughed at by most people outside this board.

If all of the pre-Holland Beach Boys' songs that were not primarily by Brian or Dennis disappeared tomorrow, I think I'd only miss Feel Flows.

Actually I ought to amend my previous post a tad, as I didn't realise Tears In The Morning was included in that list and I absolutely loathe that song with a passion. Otherwise I stand by my statement/opinion.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #352 on: June 27, 2013, 03:19:40 AM »

The Beach Boys ALL had/have low IQs, even Brian.

Bruce Johnston had a brief period in the earlier sixties when he rocked; otherwise he is an utter schmuck.

Mike Love deserves some of what he gets.

Happy Endings is sh*t.

Wilson Phillips worship Satan.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 27, 2013, 03:43:36 AM »

Bruce Johnston had a brief period in the earlier sixties when he rocked; otherwise he is an utter schmuck.

Happy Endings is sh*t.

I fear you're not making yourself very popular around these quarters. Oh, um, wait...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 27, 2013, 09:08:20 AM »

Happy Endings is sh*t.

A Schmuck who writes Schmaltz? I like that! Smiley Wilson Phillips worship Satan? Chynna will damn you to hell for saying that. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
mr_oleary
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 27, 2013, 10:02:36 AM »

I am embarrassed for the BB every time I hear the lyrics to 'When I Grow Up to Be A Man'

God Only Knows is not the best song on PS

Don't Worry Baby is vastly overrated (and on a similar note, She Knows Me Too Well is very underrated)

The Little Girl I Once Knew is a top 10, maybe top 5 BB song

The Don't Talk vocal snippet from the PS box set is the best music Brian/The BB ever released
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 27, 2013, 10:13:47 AM »

Another one I remembered: Mike's rendition of I'm Waiting for the Day is worlds better than Brian's.

Also, Brian's performance of GOK rivals Carl's.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 27, 2013, 11:58:16 AM »

I am embarrassed for the BB every time I hear the lyrics to 'When I Grow Up to Be A Man'

This one surprises me.  Their albums are littered with embarrassing lyrics, but When I Grow Up is not one that I put in that group.  IMO, contemporaries like Don't Hurt My Little Sister and Salt Lake City are far, far worse.

Another one that stands out for me is It's OK.  And if lyrics had been written for The Nearest Faraway Place, they doubtlessly would have horrid as well.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 27, 2013, 12:12:33 PM »

This one surprises me.  Their albums are littered with embarrassing lyrics, but When I Grow Up is not one that I put in that group.  IMO, contemporaries like Don't Hurt My Little Sister and Salt Lake City are far, far worse.

Another one that stands out for me is It's OK.  And if lyrics had been written for The Nearest Faraway Place, they doubtlessly would have horrid as well.

It's Ok has nightmarishly bad lyrics.

Most embarrassing moment on a roadtrip was when I put on TWOTS compilation, everyone was enjoying it until this song blasted itself through the friggin speakers...there I am hanging my head in shame while quickly trying to press the 'forward' button.

WHY IS THAT SONG ON ANY COMPILATION?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 27, 2013, 12:15:04 PM »

Personally, I love that song. Maybe its because I am fascinated by the sleazy late 1970s BBs. LOL 

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: June 27, 2013, 12:16:28 PM »

At least they did not include the "fun, fun, fun" line. Smiley

It's like Do It Again part 2, but way worse of course.

I kinda like it.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 12:18:46 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 27, 2013, 02:22:48 PM »

I love the lyrics of It's OK. Lookin' good down the hood of a funky ride! Crank that sucker up - maybe the only "fun in the sun" song that they recorded post-"Do It Again" that actually stands up to their classic hits.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 27, 2013, 03:26:58 PM »

I'll sell you some of his beard hair from 1976. I'm told it can heal the sick.

I guess you'd have to chew it or something.

Can you make tea from them?

You could, but the best method is via a hookah with a few friends to assist.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 27, 2013, 04:40:02 PM »

I always liked "Almost Summer" By Celebration. It sounded great on AM radio, and seeing Mike and Brian perform it (well, lypsynch it) on American Bandstand was an all-time highlight for me as far as TV appearances go.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 27, 2013, 04:46:54 PM »

Most embarrassing moment on a roadtrip was when I put on TWOTS compilation, everyone was enjoying it until this song blasted itself through the friggin speakers...there I am hanging my head in shame while quickly trying to press the 'forward' button.

!) Because it is good.  2) It was a hit.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 27, 2013, 05:26:28 PM »

Mike Love deserves, like, 95% of what he gets. His attitude to the group is absolutely atrocious.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 27, 2013, 05:55:10 PM »

Except for GV, Cabinessence, H&V, and Vegetables, I prefer the BWPS songs over the original Smile recordings.  
Hmm... interesting.  What still blows my mind, is how amazing BWPS actually is.  There's no way it should have been this good.  There's too many reasons.  No Beach Boys.  It's not 1966.  And Brian's voice is nothing what it was... yet I don't even notice it on BWPS.  The focus is squarely on the music.

The original recordings sound stony and mystical.  Adventurous and new.  Groundbreaking.  BWPS however, has a nice polish to it - an upbeat and positive sheen.  It feels joyful.  Clean.  But not in a "sanitized way."  It had 37 years to bake (no pun intended), but to re-record it and "finish it" so many years later -- it had more reasons to be bad, weird and to just plain miss the mark.  But it was awesome.

Both are fantastic.  But I can see one preferring the sprite, sparkly -- and more finished, BWPS.

This. I agree with this completely. I would add that for me, 2004 was a pretty important year for me in a lot of ways (graduated college, finding myself, relationships, etc.) and when I think of BWPS I remember a lot about who I am and where I've been. It just takes me back to an exact point in my life and stands as a pretty important artifact of that year for me.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 27, 2013, 06:53:26 PM »

Mike Love deserves, like, 95% of what he gets. His attitude to the group is absolutely atrocious.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 28, 2013, 02:26:05 AM »

I'm a fan of that particular time frame in BB history and still I have to agree with the assessment that the song's lyrics are... well, "nightmarishly bad" might be an exaggeration but they aren't very charming to say the least. If you're in a bad mood and put on this song you may find yourself wanting to punch whoever came up with those lyrics and that's something I haven't ever experienced with their original 60s-era fun-in-the-sun material. That said, I still think it's a great song, can't help it, must be the bass groove and Dennis' vocal.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 28, 2013, 07:12:16 AM »

Carl's voice was not really all that phenomenal. Brian's was more pure and effortless, especially in the higher registers.

Jeff Foskett is all right.

Brian's current support system may be extensive, and may be necessary. But, it does not equal Landy-like control.

Mike's stage persona has become borderline creepy.

"Forever" is repetitious.

"Beaches in Mind" isn't a masterpiece, but it's a fun, catchy song. Ditto for "Bill and Sue".

After C50, The Beach Boys name should be reserved for special projects that involve the whole group. Mike can continue touring as The Beach Boys Touring Band, or some such thing.

The hits era of the early sixties is just as good as the less popular (so therefore, more hipster cool) late sixties/seventies.

"Fun in the Sun" songs are fun. So is "Barbara Ann."

TM doesn't seem to be helping Mike much. Or, maybe it is. Which is a scary thought.

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 28, 2013, 08:31:16 AM »

Another one I remembered: Mike's rendition of I'm Waiting for the Day is worlds better than Brian's.

Also, Brian's performance of GOK rivals Carl's.

Don't you mean Carl's performance rivals Carl's, since he did both?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 28, 2013, 08:33:52 AM »

Carl's voice was not really all that phenomenal. Brian's was more pure and effortless, especially in the higher registers.

Brian's current support system may be extensive, and may be necessary. But, it does not equal Landy-like control.

"Beaches in Mind" isn't a masterpiece, but it's a fun, catchy song. Ditto for "Bill and Sue".

After C50, The Beach Boys name should be reserved for special projects that involve the whole group. Mike can continue touring as The Beach Boys Touring Band, or some such thing.

The hits era of the early sixties is just as good as the less popular (so therefore, more hipster cool) late sixties/seventies.

TM doesn't seem to be helping Mike much. Or, maybe it is. Which is a scary thought.
Well of course, Brian had better range in the higher registers, strong too! Carl's voice was sweeter and breathier in the high range. I will say, Carl's voice was more varied than Brian's. He kept better care of his voice too.

Jeff is alright... for Brian's old vocals. I don't think he fills Carl's role all that well, though.

Agree with control over Brian.

You guys with using "creepy". You creep me out using it so much. Do you have sick minds in that it is all that you are looking for?

Agree with you on Beaches In Mind.

Tell that to Brian, Al and Carl's Estate. I'll bet that they will disagree with you.

All the eras are good and all hip. Wish it had been like that from 67-72.

Yep, it's all good, even Barbara Ann. Smiley

If TM isn't helping Mike, then man, that would indeed be scary. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jason
« Reply #372 on: June 28, 2013, 09:22:04 AM »

Michael does deserve what he gets. No one else has helped keep the band alive more than Michael. No one is a bigger supporter of Brian than Michael. Yes, that's so atrocious.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 28, 2013, 02:45:34 PM »

AGD or someone may be able to confirm but that may be the case. Is there a legal reason we often see the term 'The Beach Boys Band'? Their own website is a case in point.

http://www.beachboysband.net/
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 28, 2013, 03:51:22 PM »

Wait a minute isn't TM all about dropping the Ego?HuhShocked
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx