gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:56:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348250 times)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #325 on: June 25, 2013, 02:44:43 AM »

In my opinion, the Beach Boys were the best thing to ever happen to pop but sadly most of the world buys into the dreck that the Rolling Stones and Beatles put out.

Careful, this is the unpopular opinions thread, not the unacceptable opinions thread.

Besides, if someone says they hate the Beatles, they're just pretending or trying to be clever. It's impossible to hate the greatest-musical-geniuses-ever-in-the-universe.   Wink
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 25, 2013, 04:42:41 AM »

I'll sell you some of his beard hair from 1976. I'm told it can heal the sick.

I guess you'd have to chew it or something.

Can you make tea from them?

And, not unimportant from a business point of view: can you reproduce them with a 3-D printer?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Nicko1234
« Reply #327 on: June 25, 2013, 05:39:39 AM »

I'm not saying the group had no talent. And I know they all played a part in influencing the band's music (Mike as lyricist/frontman, Carl and David with rock n roll guitars, etc.). But relative to other elite bands with more balanced collaborative approaches, the Beach Boys consisted of one genius surrounded by a group of competent musicians.

How many bands have balanced collaborative approaches? A genuine question. Surely most bands are about 1 or 2 songwriters with the other guys being musicians.
Youre Under Arrest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 25, 2013, 06:07:59 AM »

In my opinion, the Beach Boys were the best thing to ever happen to pop but sadly most of the world buys into the dreck that the Rolling Stones and Beatles put out.

Careful, this is the unpopular opinions thread, not the unacceptable opinions thread.

Besides, if someone says they hate the Beatles, they're just pretending or trying to be clever. It's impossible to hate the greatest-musical-geniuses-ever-in-the-universe.   Wink

You best be joking about the last part, mate.

"My name is Brian and I'm the man, I write hit songs with the wave of my hand" - Brian Wilson

Not only was Brian a musical genius, but he was a real cool head, making real good bread.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #329 on: June 25, 2013, 07:01:45 AM »

I am.......but if I wasn't?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: June 25, 2013, 07:06:55 AM »

The Beatles and Rolling Stones

Meh.

I'm not saying the group had no talent.

Just little talent, i.e. almost no talent.

But relative to other elite bands with more balanced collaborative approaches,

Who cares? Why sit around worrying about what's "elite" or not before forming opinions of it?

Many non-Brian songs were definitely good. But almost none of them reached the artistic zenith of Brian's compositions.

Again, who cares? It's like you're dismissing things solely on the grounds of "It's not as good as Brian Wilson". a) What is? and b) Why does it matter? Like what you like and enjoy the music, don't sit there almost liking something and then saying "It's not as good as the greatest song ever written. It's no good. It's not elite. It doesn't reach the artistic zenith of Brian Wilson's compositions."

The reason The Beach Boys can be mentioned in the sentence as The Beatles is due solely to Brian Wilson.

Again, why should the Beatles matter at all in all this? Why should every conversation about music turn into a discussion about the Beatles? "Hey man, check out this new band, I really think you're gonna like..." "ARE THEY THE BEATLES?" "Uh, no, they..." "DO THEY REACH THE ARTISTIC ZENITH OF THE BEATLES' BEST COMPOSITIONS?" "I don't know, you'd have to..." "THEN f*** OFF."

And naw. When you consider their formative years, Mike's lyrics were essential to them gaining a fanbase which, I'd bet my eyeballs, helped pave the road for Brian to grow as an artist. Dennis, I'd say, got Mike started on that path. The other guys' contributions varied and helped the band along later on, and certainly Mike and Dennis contributed different things all their own later on.

Sorry if any of this came off as particularly nasty, I didn't mean for it to, I just can't follow the logic behind this kind of stuff. It almost feels like people won't let themselves enjoy a lot of really great stuff (or at least not enjoy it nearly to the extent they could) because they've set up a million walls, boundaries and rules when art isn't about those sorts of things at all.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Youre Under Arrest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 25, 2013, 07:10:15 AM »

I am.......but if I wasn't?

I would be very flustered at my computer, run to my bed and sleep. Angrily.

"My name is Brian and I'm the man, I write hit songs with the wave of my hand" - Brian Wilson

Not only was Brian a musical genius, but he was a real cool head, making real good bread.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 25, 2013, 07:12:40 AM »

Meh.

Who cares? Why sit around worrying about what's "elite" or not before forming opinions of it?

Many non-Brian songs were definitely good. But almost none of them reached the artistic zenith of Brian's compositions.

Again, who cares? It's like you're dismissing things solely on the grounds of "It's not as good as Brian Wilson". a) What is? and b) Why does it matter? Like what you like and enjoy the music, don't sit there almost liking something and then saying "It's not as good as the greatest song ever written. It's no good. It's not elite. It doesn't reach the artistic zenith of Brian Wilson's compositions."

The reason The Beach Boys can be mentioned in the sentence as The Beatles is due solely to Brian Wilson.

Again, why should the Beatles matter at all in all this? Why should every conversation about music turn into a discussion about the Beatles? "Hey man, check out this new band, I really think you're gonna like..." "ARE THEY THE BEATLES?" "Uh, no, they..." "DO THEY REACH THE ARTISTIC ZENITH OF THE BEATLES' BEST COMPOSITIONS?" "I don't know, you'd have to..." "THEN f*** OFF."

And naw. When you consider their formative years, Mike's lyrics were essential to them gaining a fanbase which, I'd bet my eyeballs, helped pave the road for Brian to grow as an artist. Dennis, I'd say, got Mike started on that path. The other guys' contributions varied and helped the band along later on, and certainly Mike and Dennis contributed different things all their own later on.

Sorry if any of this came off as particularly nasty, I didn't mean for it to, I just can't follow the logic behind this kind of stuff. It almost feels like people won't let themselves enjoy a lot of really great stuff (or at least not enjoy it nearly to the extent they could) because they've set up a million walls, boundaries and rules when art isn't about those sorts of things at all.
Nice post! I completely agree. I always tell people when this stuff comes up, that if you like it and it moves you, then it is GOOD, no matter what anyone else thinks.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 25, 2013, 09:19:12 AM »

I appreciate maybe 3 or 4 Beatles album and that's being generous. I don't get them and I never will, you couldn't pay me to listen to “There’s a Place” or “You Can’t Do That” or the albums they're from. You might put that opinion down to being a Beach Boys fan but I felt this way before discovering The Beach Boys. I put a lot of The Beatles hype down to John Lennon's demigod like status.

He's not. There's just a half dozen guys who really, really, really don't like him.

Hilarious. I wonder if Jeff know there's a couple of people out there who really hate him  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 25, 2013, 09:20:24 AM »

He's not. There's just a half dozen guys who really, really, really don't like him.

Me thinks yer exaggerating a bit ^_^ over half the time I talk to people (who don't post here) about the reunion shows etc. I get asked "Who's the chubby dark-haired guy? His voice is really, really grating" without even saying a word about the guy to them prior.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jason
« Reply #335 on: June 25, 2013, 09:24:29 AM »

I doubt he gives a damn what people think of him. Like it or not, he's successful and they're not.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 25, 2013, 09:30:06 AM »

I doubt he gives a damn what people think of him. Like it or not, he's successful and they're not.

he told me he reads the board daily and when he comes across a negative post about himself he listens to getmad.mp3

Also, yeah man, successful people (like touring members of a Beach Boys solo project) should never, ever take criticism into account from people with less money than they have. I mean they have money, they're obviously always right. "I don't listen to those lowly pissants, they're just fans who give me said money" they say.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 09:41:26 AM by Brian Wilson » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 25, 2013, 09:34:27 AM »

I think Jeff does a good job at the background falsetto. It's just the leads (Why Do Fools, Don't Worry Baby, chorus to Kokomo) I'm not a big fan of.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 25, 2013, 09:35:21 AM »

Me thinks yer exaggerating a bit ^_^ over half the time I talk to people (who don't post here) about the reunion shows etc. I get asked "Who's the chubby dark-haired guy? His voice is really, really grating" without even saying a word about the guy to them prior.

How can you really like a guy who says, "THE GREAT, BRIIIIAAAAAANNNNNN WILSSSSSSSOOOONNNNNN"

I guess that's my unpopular opinion of the day.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #339 on: June 25, 2013, 09:53:41 AM »

Also, yeah man, successful people (like touring members of a Beach Boys solo project) should never, ever take criticism into account from people with less money than they have. I mean they have money, they're obviously always right. "I don't listen to those lowly pissants, they're just fans who give me said money" they say.

King
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 25, 2013, 10:07:21 AM »

Except for GV, Cabinessence, H&V, and Vegetables, I prefer the BWPS songs over the original Smile recordings.  

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 25, 2013, 10:10:38 AM »

This wonderful, energetic surfing combo went into rapid decline after the Today album (about half of which already shows signs of the oncoming decay, in the form of syrupy adult-oriented 'ballads').

Their leader, Brian 'Icarus' Wilson so wanted to join the then-burgeoning 'hippie-movement' (read: masses of work-shy, hairy, drugged-out, communist enemies of all American values, who were only out for free sex anyway), that he created (if that's the word) atrocities like the Pet Sounds and Friends albums, both insults to the finely tuned ears of all true music lovers.

All in all, their story is an awful warning, a cautionary tale. Don't stray from the beaten path.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #342 on: June 25, 2013, 11:09:25 AM »

--Brian Wilson was an absolute musical genius, but the rest of the band--outside of being good singers--had little talent (relative to bands of comparable prestige).  As a collaborative band unit, the Beach Boys can’t even be compared to 60s peers like The Beatles and Rolling Stones. A lot of Beach Boys music can stand proudly in the ring against the all-time pop/rock greats; but all of that music can be categorized as “Brian Wilson featuring The Beach Boys.”

Writing and arranging all or the basis of "Little Bird", "Be Still", "Be With Me", "All I Want To Do", "Let The Wind Blow", "Slip On Through", "Got To Know The Woman", "Deirdre", "It's About Time", "Tears In The Morning", "Lady", "Sound Of Free", "A Time To Live In Dreams", "Barbara", "All I Wanna Do", "Forever", "Feel Flows", "Don't Go Near The Water", "Long Promised Road", "Take A Load Off Your Feet", "Disney Girls", "Lookin' At Tomorrow", "All This Is That", "Make It Good", "Cuddle Up", "The Trader", "Big Sur", "Steamboat", "On My Way To Sunny Californ-i-a", "Holy Man", "San Miguel", "4th Of July", "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again", "Only With You", "River Song", "Thoughts Of You", "Farewell My Friend", "Forever", "Angel Come Home", "Where I Belong", "Baby Blue", "Getcha Back", "Keepin' The Summer Alive", etc. etc. etc. etc. as well as numerous great production jobs = "little talent".

I realize the songs here vary in quality, but at the very least, I feel they all (as well as other songs written by non-Brians) have something worthwhile to offer. This isn't even including their numerous contributions to Brian's songs. SHEESH.

P.S. What are some bands of "comparable prestige" and why do they matter in this context?

Well put. Quite frankly anyone who is familiar with the Beach Boys full output and yet still believes (or pretends to believe) that 'Brian Wilson = the Beach Boys' is a fucking idiot. Sorry to be blunt, but its true.

The only aspect of your post I'd disagree with is when you say 'I realize the songs here vary in quality'. Aside from Getcha Back and Keepin' The Summer Alive, I would actually say that the above list is an utterly tremendous collection of songs; one in fact that most other groups would kill for.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #343 on: June 25, 2013, 01:10:22 PM »

Quite frankly anyone who is familiar with the Beach Boys full output and yet still believes (or pretends to believe) that 'Brian Wilson = the Beach Boys' is a fucking idiot.

I've been called worse  LOL

I don't mind the post Friends stuff, but really, the only stuff I  care about is the classic BW period '61 to '68. Pure magic.

So yes, I'm a Brianista. The only reason I don't frequent the bloo is they're a bunch of nobs
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 01:20:02 PM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 25, 2013, 01:19:40 PM »

Meh.

Nice post! I completely agree. I always tell people when this stuff comes up, that if you like it and it moves you, then it is GOOD, no matter what anyone else thinks.
I third it without any hesitance!

Btw, it took me a huge minute to figure out who that must be under "Brian Wilson" alias. Great post, RDZ!! In fact, one of your best ones!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: June 25, 2013, 02:07:38 PM »

I've never listened to any full album after Love You and probably never will because what I've heard has either been garbage or only very slightly greater quality than that with maybe three or four exceptions. I think people (well, here anyway) are way too generous about Beach Boys albums from 1978 onwards.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: June 26, 2013, 07:54:16 AM »

he created (if that's the word) atrocities like the Pet Sounds and Friends albums, both insults to the finely tuned ears of all true music lovers.

Pet Sounds is not an atrocity... Evil

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 26, 2013, 08:28:33 AM »

Except for GV, Cabinessence, H&V, and Vegetables, I prefer the BWPS songs over the original Smile recordings.  
Hmm... interesting.  What still blows my mind, is how amazing BWPS actually is.  There's no way it should have been this good.  There's too many reasons.  No Beach Boys.  It's not 1966.  And Brian's voice is nothing what it was... yet I don't even notice it on BWPS.  The focus is squarely on the music.

The original recordings sound stony and mystical.  Adventurous and new.  Groundbreaking.  BWPS however, has a nice polish to it - an upbeat and positive sheen.  It feels joyful.  Clean.  But not in a "sanitized way."  It had 37 years to bake (no pun intended), but to re-record it and "finish it" so many years later -- it had more reasons to be bad, weird and to just plain miss the mark.  But it was awesome.

Both are fantastic.  But I can see one preferring the sprite, sparkly -- and more finished, BWPS.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 04:50:38 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

zachrwolfe
« Reply #348 on: June 26, 2013, 08:48:08 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:01:28 PM by zatch » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 26, 2013, 08:57:06 AM »

Hmm... interesting.  What still blows my mind, is how amazing BWPS actually is.  There's no way it should have been this good.  There's too many reasons.  No Beach Boys.  It's not 1966.  And Brian's voice is nothing what it was... yet I don't even notice it on BWPS.  The focus is squarely on the music.

The original recordings sound stony and mystical.  Adventurous and new.  Groundbreaking.  BWPS however, has a nice polish to it - an upbeat and positive sheen.  I feels joyful.  Clean.  But not in a "sanitized way."  It had 37 years to bake (no pun intended), but to re-record it and "finish it" so many years later -- it had more reasons to be bad, weird and to just plain miss the mark.  But it was awesome.

Both are fantastic.  But I can see one preferring the sprite, sparkly -- and more finished, BWPS.

I couldn't have said it better. I enjoy the '66/'67 recordings, but the modern polished sound just suits some songs better (like On A Holiday, the spiritual section, In Blue Hawaii).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx