gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:26:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 350116 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 21, 2013, 06:29:36 PM »

Brian Wilson Presents Smile is akin to a K-Tel repackaging of the Smile material sold on local television.

I don't really understand that analogy.  A K-Tel recording would be low budget and low profile.  Smile was the opposite of both.  I can see after the release of the Smile Sessions feeling Brian's album was unnecessary but this was seven years before, several of the songs had never been heard, new lyrics had been written, and for a long time this was the most complete version of Smile available (I would argue it's still more complete than the Beach Boys version).  I think that's enough to make it pretty legit.

BWPS does sound like a cheap imitation of the original recordings; it sounds phoned in and plastic. No soul. No feeling. And I felt the same before the box set was released, so that won't work for me.
Now, the live shows are another story. Amazing how different they are, especially using the same musicians.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 21, 2013, 06:41:07 PM »

Brian Wilson Presents Smile is akin to a K-Tel repackaging of the Smile material sold on local television.

I don't really understand that analogy.  A K-Tel recording would be low budget and low profile.  Smile was the opposite of both.  I can see after the release of the Smile Sessions feeling Brian's album was unnecessary but this was seven years before, several of the songs had never been heard, new lyrics had been written, and for a long time this was the most complete version of Smile available (I would argue it's still more complete than the Beach Boys version).  I think that's enough to make it pretty legit.

BWPS does sound like a cheap imitation of the original recordings; it sounds phoned in and plastic. No soul. No feeling. And I felt the same before the box set was released, so that won't work for me.

Absolutely.  I was really excited by it when it came out but lost interest within a few months and have hardly played it since.  That's partly unavoidable, since BW's voice was not as good in 2004 as it was in 1967, and he lacked the other voices for which he had originally written the songs.  (On the other hand, BW's vocal performances on every album starting with That Lucky Old Sun have been substantially better than they were on BWPS.)  But what's more surprising is how half-assed the production on the whole album is.  I suspect that the only reason BW and co. bothered to release Gettin' In Over My Head was to deflate expectations so people wouldn't realize how mediocre BWPS really is.

And on the subject of BWPS and unpopular opinions, I'll take this time to say that I really don't understand the obsession that some people seem to have with "suites."  In general, I think BW's writing style is much better suited to writing songs and that the urge to compose an entire album as a single suite has not worked out well for him.  That Lucky Old Sun is a good example: it has some pretty good songs and decent production and vocals, but the effort to unify it, to my mind, fails entirely.  Additionally, as much as I love the songs from Smile, I'm convinced that at least part of the reason that BW could never put it together was the obsession with making it as a giant suite when, in fact, it was all over the place stylistically and lyrically.  The fact that the organization of BWPS is so unsatisfying (with the exception of the middle four songs) would lend credence to this conclusion.  I do like the last set of songs on That's Why God Made the Radio, but I don't think an extended suite would have worked for the whole album.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 21, 2013, 06:50:19 PM »

If Mike has more songs like 'Daybreak', I hope he releases a solo album. That song, though mostly unappreciated here, has good production, good lyrics, and great vocals. It just doesn't fit with Brian's songwriting. Brian and Mike are no longer compatible with each other - so why force them to write together?
Short answer is the voices. Too much Brian singing lead is too much Brian singing lead. I could care less whether Brian writes with any of the four, but man, Brian's music is so much better with those voices.

Agreed - but with those vocals comes Mike's endless summer...and, as was proven by Beaches in Mind, it doesn't make for good music. But maybe one dud song in trade for amazing vocals is a good bargain...too bad it has to be that way, though.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 21, 2013, 07:03:52 PM »

If Mike has more songs like 'Daybreak', I hope he releases a solo album. That song, though mostly unappreciated here, has good production, good lyrics, and great vocals. It just doesn't fit with Brian's songwriting. Brian and Mike are no longer compatible with each other - so why force them to write together?
Short answer is the voices. Too much Brian singing lead is too much Brian singing lead. I could care less whether Brian writes with any of the four, but man, Brian's music is so much better with those voices.

Agreed - but with those vocals comes Mike's endless summer...and, as was proven by Beaches in Mind, it doesn't make for good music. But maybe one dud song in trade for amazing vocals is a good bargain...too bad it has to be that way, though.
Well, I happen to like Daybreak and Spring Vacation, so that is not a deal breaker for me. Now, with Beaches In Mind, you got me. Wink Though, I'll be damned if it don't get stuck in my brain and I walk around humming it from time to time.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 21, 2013, 07:06:33 PM »

It would be surreal to hear Mike doing Brian's "edgier" material.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 21, 2013, 07:10:04 PM »

Well, I happen to like Daybreak and Spring Vacation, so that is not a deal breaker for me. Now, with Beaches In Mind, you got me. Wink Though, I'll be damned if it don't get stuck in my brain and I walk around humming it from time to time.

Daybreak is one of my favorite tracks on TWGMTR - but it doesn't fit with the rest of Brian's tunes (maybe it was just the difference in production). And yeah LOL I get that Beaches intro stuck in my head way too often Grin

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 21, 2013, 07:12:13 PM »

I can hear a younger Mike doing a great "Walkin the Line" lead.

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 21, 2013, 08:21:54 PM »

You mean like singing the lead lines of "acid alliteration" lyrics in the closing section of a "back to the beach" classic like "Cabinessence"??  Smokin
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 21, 2013, 08:29:41 PM »

I guess my unpopular opinion is that I actually prefer some of the material from Brian Wilson's Smile over the Beach Boys Smile Sessions.  Mostly due to the addition of lyrics like I prefer In Blue Hawaii to Love to Say Dada and Song for Children to Look.  But for some reason, I also prefer Brian's solo version of Wind Chimes than the Beach Boys version (actually, another unpopular opinion, I think I prefer the Smiley Smile version to both, I love the eeriness and the guys trading off verses).

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 21, 2013, 08:43:51 PM »

Taken as a whole, BWPS is a very good record. The second suite, the added lyrics in the third -- it's a real accomplishment. Not my favorite BW solo album necessarily, because it really needs so much context to fully understand, and because it's ultimately built upon older and more atmospheric recordngs. But its importance as a personal milestone for BW cannot be overstated.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 21, 2013, 11:59:34 PM »

BWPS worked really well for me at the time but I don't think I'm going to play it again anytime soon. It begins with the overall packaging, which looks incredibly dull and even cheap. Also, why would anyone prefer the solo renditions of Surf's Up, Cabinessence, and H&V over the actual Beach Boys versions? I certainly don't despise this record but to me it's about on the same level as the Christmas album he did.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #211 on: June 22, 2013, 12:07:55 AM »

Daybreak is one of my favorite tracks on TWGMTR - but it doesn't fit with the rest of Brian's tunes (maybe it was just the difference in production). And yeah LOL I get that Beaches intro stuck in my head way too often Grin

The other day I inadvertently trapped my genitalia in a sock drawer whilst hurriedly getting ready for work. Unpleasant as the crunching sound of my ball bag being squashed 'tween drawer and balsa wood undoubtedly was, it was nevertheless still preferable to listening to Daybreak Over The Ocean, which is one of the most revolting songs in the bands entire canon.
Nicko1234
« Reply #212 on: June 22, 2013, 12:25:30 AM »

I am another of those who hasn't listened to BWPS for many years and I have no plans to listen to it again in the future.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 22, 2013, 12:57:39 AM »

I am another of those who hasn't listened to BWPS for many years and I have no plans to listen to it again in the future.

Try it. You might like it.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 22, 2013, 12:58:33 AM »

To me, the sound of Brian Wilson untethered to the atrocious production and marketing gimmicks of the post Endless Summer group is nothing less than hearing a modern American musical titan finally free. Free to express music that his band would never countenance. And free to attract an audience that enjoys his music for what it is -- modern American masterpieces -- rather than the lifestyle marketing ploy his cousin and assorted hangers-on want it to signify.

And of course his voice is reduced, and of course he turns to others for support. But that makes his accomplishments even greater and more precious. Here's the truth. I would trade the entire Beach Boys discography for Brian Wilson's four solo albums of original compositions. Brian Wilson (88), Imagination (98), Gettin' In Over My Head (04) and That Lucky Old Sun (08) are, to me, the truly canonical and irreplaceable creations of this timeless musical force. They have everything I like about Brian Wilson's music with precious little of the dross that so often accompanies it.

I'd like to counter with BW88 and Sweet Insanity are the only two semi decent solo albums the man has ever made. Everything else sucks. As bad as much as it was, Imagination was the last record where any... erm.. imagination was shown in making a Brian Wilson solo record. Anything since, be they covers, remakes or originals is the same bunch of guys hired to recreate a pale retread of Brian's Summer Days!(and Summer Nights!)/Pet Sounds phase. I'd say Brian's more boxed in musically now then he ever was as a Beach Boy.

And as for his singing? Yes he's improved since hitting rock bottom with GIOMH but still.... comparatively speaking it now means he's a 4 instead of a 2 out of 10. I've never known another artist to recieve the sympathy vote as much as Brian Wilson does.

So he has maybe 3 new records coming out? I don't need to buy them, I already know how they will sound. 12 piece band playing exactly the same instrument setup as used on Pet Sounds - check. Lyrics that are guaranteed to make reference to his mental history at some point - check. A wordless vocal acapella with Jeff Foskett wailing like a banshee all over it - check.

Sorry but the Brian Wilson Sound has become as much a stale cliche as the Mike Love nasal sung beach song.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 01:02:46 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 22, 2013, 01:56:53 AM »

I'd say Brian's more boxed in musically now then he ever was as a Beach Boy.

You said it.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 22, 2013, 02:12:16 AM »

Mike's Beard, couldn't agree more! BW's solo career has been stale and uninteresting for many years. Can't take any more of the "mental history" stuff, it's making me cringe. That said, I find TLOS and BWRG rather pleasant in spots... but still, nowhere near as good as even later BB material such as the Light Album.
Nicko1234
« Reply #217 on: June 22, 2013, 03:22:28 AM »

I tried it when it was released but I can't get past the fact that the songs sounded much better when recording in the 1960s sadly.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 22, 2013, 11:37:17 AM »

In general Brian's albums have two great tracks and the rest is so-so. Imagination was his first solo album that I caught in real time as a fan. Then I saw (in amazement) the big hype and euphoria, and got used to it afterwards. Brian's solo releases are a footnote in his career but there's much to be enjoyed.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Jason
« Reply #219 on: June 22, 2013, 11:41:02 AM »

I tried it when it was released but I can't get past the fact that the songs sounded much better when recording in the 1960s sadly.

+1
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 22, 2013, 01:42:43 PM »

To me, the sound of Brian Wilson untethered to the atrocious production and marketing gimmicks of the post Endless Summer group is nothing less than hearing a modern American musical titan finally free. Free to express music that his band would never countenance. And free to attract an audience that enjoys his music for what it is -- modern American masterpieces -- rather than the lifestyle marketing ploy his cousin and assorted hangers-on want it to signify.

And of course his voice is reduced, and of course he turns to others for support. But that makes his accomplishments even greater and more precious. Here's the truth. I would trade the entire Beach Boys discography for Brian Wilson's four solo albums of original compositions. Brian Wilson (88), Imagination (98), Gettin' In Over My Head (04) and That Lucky Old Sun (08) are, to me, the truly canonical and irreplaceable creations of this timeless musical force. They have everything I like about Brian Wilson's music with precious little of the dross that so often accompanies it.

I'd like to counter with BW88 and Sweet Insanity are the only two semi decent solo albums the man has ever made. Everything else sucks. As bad as much as it was, Imagination was the last record where any... erm.. imagination was shown in making a Brian Wilson solo record. Anything since, be they covers, remakes or originals is the same bunch of guys hired to recreate a pale retread of Brian's Summer Days!(and Summer Nights!)/Pet Sounds phase. I'd say Brian's more boxed in musically now then he ever was as a Beach Boy.

And as for his singing? Yes he's improved since hitting rock bottom with GIOMH but still.... comparatively speaking it now means he's a 4 instead of a 2 out of 10. I've never known another artist to recieve the sympathy vote as much as Brian Wilson does.

So he has maybe 3 new records coming out? I don't need to buy them, I already know how they will sound. 12 piece band playing exactly the same instrument setup as used on Pet Sounds - check. Lyrics that are guaranteed to make reference to his mental history at some point - check. A wordless vocal acapella with Jeff Foskett wailing like a banshee all over it - check.

Sorry but the Brian Wilson Sound has become as much a stale cliche as the Mike Love nasal sung beach song.

If all of BW's post-'91 solo albums actually sounded the same, I would give some credence to your opinion. Given that they don't, I can only infer that you haven't heard them -- and accordingly dismiss your post as the flagrant nonsense it is.

You said it.

Yes, because having a band made up of people who love and support you, record companies falling over themselves to release your new material, and the creative confidence to make some the most exciting and risk-taking recordings of your career is being boxed in. Heh.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 22, 2013, 04:00:58 PM »

You said it.

Yes, because having a band made up of people who love and support you, record companies falling over themselves to release your new material, and the creative confidence to make some the most exciting and risk-taking recordings of your career is being boxed in. Heh.

I'm not sure that record companies have been falling over themselves to release his new material, but I don't have access to the kind of information to make that judgment.  But one doesn't need pressure from the studio or from bandmates to be boxed in.  Granted, I don't think that all of BW's solo albums sound the same, and I even like some of them.  But is something like In the Key of Disney or even Reimagines Gershwin really your idea of an artist spreading his creative wings?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 22, 2013, 04:36:29 PM »

You said it.

I'm not sure that record companies have been falling over themselves to release his new material, but I don't have access to the kind of information to make that judgment.  But one doesn't need pressure from the studio or from bandmates to be boxed in.  Granted, I don't think that all of BW's solo albums sound the same, and I even like some of them.  But is something like In the Key of Disney or even Reimagines Gershwin really your idea of an artist spreading his creative wings?

Capitol signed him right up after the BB tour, and as a solo artist. So there's clearly demand for what he's doing these days, and not as a band project. This has not necessarily been true for all of his solo career, but the fact that he has regularly toured and released acclaimed albums has put him in a better position with the business.

As for the Gershwin record, I think it was an ambitious and risky project, yes. It was an album that was explicitly Brian's idea (he'd been mulling it over it for years, and made it a condition of the Disney deal -- they had originally wanted him solely to record the Disney covers record), one on which he selected the material and sequenced the record on his own, and one where he fought with the record company (to keep the female POV vocals in "I Love You Porgy") and won. What's more, he labored mightily for a couple of months over his vocals.

An artist spreading his wings does not mean he has to make an album that's dissonant or unpleasant, or one where he sings like Tom Waits. An artist spreading his wings does not mean he has to collaborate with Rick Rubin or Panda Bear or Daft Punk. Sometimes an artist spreading his wings is making an immaculately tasteful and joyous, yet still experimental and slyly funny, record of pre-rock standards.

The Disney record was a contractual obligation project. It happens. Yet Brian put together a distinctly different, organ-heavy band sound for the record, with a lighter and looser vibe. No, it wasn't his deepest record ever. But it had modest charms of its own, reminding me in a way of Friends.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 22, 2013, 05:56:12 PM »

This is a fun thread to read...here's my likely unpopular opinions (the first is certain to be unpopular)...

-I'd rather listen to BWPS than The Smile Sessions just about any day, though I love both.
-Caroline, No is a very weak track. I skip it every time. Also, the instrumentals on PS are utter crap of an almost embarrassing level.
-C&TP:ST is the groups best album of the 70's, followed by Holland, then Love You, Sunflower (overrated a bit), LA, MIU
-Carl Wilson, while a phenomenal singer, producer, arranger, band leader, was a mediocre at best songwriter.
-Bruce Johnston is at once the weirdest, most annoying, and least talented member of the Beach Boys history.
-It's a really good thing the boys didn't perform at Monterrey Pop...would've been beyond embarrassing.
-Still Cruisin' is a really fun record. I enjoy listening to it In My Car (pun intended).

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 22, 2013, 06:57:52 PM »

you could probably freeze your piss into the shape of a sharp object and then stab someone with your own piss and then the weapon melts and you never get caught. no officer, i didn't stab anyone, search the whole house, you won't find any weapons. you could threaten your enemies and even call it a "pissknife", "pissdagger" or "yellow pissblade of justice" to intimidate them further. i think it would be awesome to stab your enemies with a blade made of your own piss.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx