gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:47:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348082 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2013, 02:44:56 PM »

Mark Linett and Alan Boyd should not be in control of Beach Boys archival releases.
Oh! And why is that, pray tell?

I better not delve further into my opinion, I've already received one DrBeachboy scolding today. 

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2013, 02:51:08 PM »

Mark Linett and Alan Boyd should not be in control of Beach Boys archival releases.

I better not delve further into my opinion, I've already received one DrBeachboy scolding today. 

Is it just me, or does Brian look like he's masturbating in your avatar?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2013, 02:55:03 PM »

Hopefully it's just you..

I like to think he's listening to "Good Vibrations"  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2013, 02:56:37 PM »

The 1970-1973 period isn't as great as it made out to be.

I would divide that period into two: the Sunflower, Surf's Up Period and the Ricky/Blondie Era. In my (unpopular) opinion the first two albums mentioned are gems but the albums during the Ricky/Blondie era are abysmal.

That brings up another unpopular opinion: Ricky and Blondie weren't true Beach Boys. They were little more than hired hands.

They were official Beach Boys and your opinion cannot change that. Hired hands don't write, sing lead and co-produce.

Well, David Marks didn't write, sing lead or co-produce, so if Blondie and Ricky were 'hired hands' than what does that make David?

Or to put it another way, of course Blondie and Ricky weren't hired hands. That is just blatantly inaccurate. You can dislike their contributions to the band if you like, but you can't use that as an excuse to rewrite history...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:57:55 PM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2013, 03:22:33 PM »

Not just you!   LOL

Clearly Blondie and Ricky were full fledged members of the band, but their songs don't quite feel like Beach Boys songs to me--they sound more like Traffic or something--so it contributes to a sense of stylistic schizophrenia, particularly on Carl & the Passions.  But they certainly helped with their live performances.  In Concert might be their most enduring legacy with the band.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2013, 03:50:09 PM »

I wasn't trying to argue against history (of course they were "official" Beach Boys). I doubt, however, that they were ever interested in being Beach Boys. They joined primarily because The Flame broke up and they had no where else to turn. They joined the band for selfish reasons, and The Boys hired them for selfish reasons -- they felt they needed them in the band to makeover their image and sound for FM radio. They were hired into the band at a time of need for both parties. The Beach Boys didn't want to be Beach Boys anymore so they hired the most un-Beach Boys-like musicians they could find.

I think because The Beach Boys' legacy is based on them being The Beach Boys  is why they (Ricky and Blondie) were left out of the reunion tour. Their membership was a historical curiosity, rather than a contributing factor to the band's legacy and identity.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 03:56:11 PM by Miss Amanda Jones » Logged
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2013, 04:25:54 PM »

Not just you!   LOL

Definitely not just you.

I always assumed the poster with that avatar was trying to make some sort of bizarro statement, but didn't know what.
Nicko1234
« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2013, 04:40:01 PM »

Definitely not just you.

I always assumed the poster with that avatar was trying to make some sort of bizarro statement, but didn't know what.

A reference to Gary Usher's comment about Brian one day getting so excited one day playing the piano that he had to go to the bathroom for a big tug of love perhaps?  Smiley
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2013, 05:18:16 PM »

The beach boys are nothing but "Surfing music" and all their songs sound the same...(I hear that all the time)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2013, 05:35:34 PM »

I would divide that period into two: the Sunflower, Surf's Up Period and the Ricky/Blondie Era. In my (unpopular) opinion the first two albums mentioned are gems but the albums during the Ricky/Blondie era are abysmal.

That brings up another unpopular opinion: Ricky and Blondie weren't true Beach Boys. They were little more than hired hands.
You can think whatever your heart desires, but it doesn't make it a correct belief. They were no different in band status than what Bruce has been since his return in 1978 and David on & off since 1997. Check the covers of CATP, Holland & In Concert to be sure. It may have been a short stint, but that doesn't make it so.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2013, 05:53:06 PM »

I don't like the Reiley era, the BBs true sound and image was not pandering to early 1970s fads.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2013, 06:01:43 PM »

I don't like the Reiley era, the BBs true sound and image was not pandering to early 1970s fads.
I don't think it was pandering. They still did their own thing for the most part. As far as just not liking it, well that is your taste and I won't question that part of your statement.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2013, 06:52:04 PM »

I can see what he's saying about pandering to fads- all the ecology stuff, but I still love that era the most.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2013, 08:28:04 PM »

seems Mike fits several more of those sociopathic traits than Dennis. i think we're onto something here...

a few of mine:

- Dennis kills it on In The Back of My Mind.
- 20/20 is horrible and depressing for the most part.
- Forever is overrated. Dennis wrote much much better.
- Mike should have been kicked out by 1970, if not sooner, with Dennis taking his role.
- When Girls Get Together is a fine tune.
- it's Brian's voice you hear on the Little Child/Daddy Dear demo.
- the lyrics of I Wanna Pick You Up are humorous, charming and adorable.
- Landy did not prevent Brian from dying an early death.
- Wipe Out with The Fat Boys is a fine single.
- the majority of Mike's leads sounded consistently awful throughout the C50 Tour.  Same with Brian.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:31:48 PM by bossaroo » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2013, 08:38:29 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:02:56 PM by zatch » Logged
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2013, 09:16:50 PM »

- 20/20, Sunflower and Surf's Up are good, but could have been much better
- Adult/Child should have been released instead of Love You
- Love You is very over-rated
- If Endless Summer wasn't released, we would've probably never here from the Beach Boys again
- The Beach boys should have turned down to do "You Again?"
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2013, 09:53:39 PM »

Melinda Wilson. The best thing for Brian since Eugene Landy!  Shocked (Take it any way you want)

Oh...Its the 20th of June for me so Happy Birthday. May your cake be big and chocolate! w00t!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 10:00:11 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2013, 12:27:07 AM »

"Funky Pretty" gets really boring with the outro tag and the little electronic beeps are irritating.

I strongly disagree! It's boring right from the start! Evil

Surf's Up/CATP/Holland is one of the most fascinating and downright most unusual episodes in any major rock group's history. People should be grateful this stuff even exists.

Well, I'm not grateful, but that shouldn't make you enjoy them less.

You could do that, but to me the divide is between Sunflower and Surf's Up: pre-Reilly and Reilly period. Surf's Up is a bit less boring to me than the R&B era. (Ricky&Blondie I mean Smiley)

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2013, 12:27:51 AM »

-The Wild Honey album is abysmal and the most overrated album in their canon
-Brian's début solo album is unlistenable tripe
-Adult Child is terrible and deserves to stay locked in the vaults for all eternity
-Carl's voice from the late 70's and onwards is annoying, he over sings just about everything

I think what you actually meant to write was: 'The Wild Honey album is utterly fantastic and the most under-rated album in their canon'.

Wild Honey would be a great album if Brian had actually bothered to record and produce it properly. Distorted organ buzzes on Country Air, an electrical buzz throughout Here Comes The Night, static air smothering Let The Wind Blow, at times inaudiable group vocals - the list goes on. I've heard better sounding bootlegs.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2013, 12:27:51 AM »

It's Brian working with his hired hand. Grin

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #120 on: June 20, 2013, 12:42:53 AM »

So you don't like...

Long Promised Road,
Feel Flows,
Til I Die,
Marcella,
All This Is That,
Sail On Sailor,
California Saga,
Trader,
Carry Me Home,
Mt Vernon & Fairway,
the In Concert album?

Really? Wow.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: June 20, 2013, 12:56:17 AM »

So you don't like...

Long Promised Road,
Feel Flows,
Til I Die,
Marcella,
All This Is That,
Sail On Sailor,
California Saga,
Trader,
Carry Me Home,
Mt Vernon & Fairway,
the In Concert album?

Really? Wow.

Of these, I like the looped Desper mix of "Til I Die" and certain aspects of Long Promised Road and Carry Me Home. Can't help it!

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #122 on: June 20, 2013, 01:09:00 AM »

I like to wear my wife's underwear and listen to Summer In Paradise.....

Hang on, this is the candid admissions thread isn't it?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 20, 2013, 01:10:41 AM »

I like to wear my wife's underwear and listen to Summer In Paradise.....

Hang on, this is the candid admissions thread isn't it?

Next door down.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 20, 2013, 03:01:30 AM »

Great topic idea, Wrightfan, thanks for bringing it up! Definitely one of the most interesting threads I've read on this forum. Agree with half of what's written here. Anyhow:

- I genuinely like every single BBs album starting from Surfin' Safari & counting Stars & Stripes.
- At My Window is not only the best Sunflower track, but also the best BBs song ever.
- Barbara Ann is a jolly good rollicking cover! Never tire of it. That said, the "Everybody say yeah – YEAAAH! YEAAAH – YEAH!.." addition is really unnecessary. To-and-fro dancing with legs is ridiculous.
- Don't know what it is about Brian's voice, but I like all the phases of it, including the worst ones: damaged, off-key, when he slurrs the words or whatever else. Rare case, because usually I am very strict & don't favor such kind of imperfections in other artists. There are only few exceptions of them.
- Sloop John B is the best song off Pet Sounds. No way it's out of place, it's in.
- It'd be very sad if Barnyard didn't exist. To me, it's one of the highlights of The Smile Sessions, dig it both with & without the vocs.
- Al Jardine is the best singer of The BBs in any decade, full stop.
- Carl isn't the voice of an angel – Brian is. If compare their 60s voices, Brian has much more innocent, charming & childlike tone, f.ex. in You Still Believe In Me.
- Guess I'm Dumb is nothing special, though I like Glen's voice in general.
- I don't think of skit tracks as fillers. Same as I don't mind spoken bits in the BBs songs.
- Wipe Out is jolly cool! The video is kinda too, especially the fighting intro & when The BBs do some disc jockey things such as vinyl-rotating.
- Mike's stage banters & choreography are often very entertaining.
- Mike isn't a villain & he certainly wasn't the main reason of Smile demise.
- Dennis is nowhere near the 2nd best songwriter of the group.
- Beaches In Mind is fantastic!
- Forever is severely overrated. I can name at least 3 DW songs better than it.
- Jack Rieley's lead on A Day In The Life of A Tree works very well. Besides, his narration in Mount Vernon & Fairway adds some color to the existing b/g music. Needless to say, I don't listen to Fairy Tale Music.
- "Beach Boys Concert" is a highly underrated live record.
- Every surf instrumental is fine by me. Minus Moon Dawg & studio version of Let's Go Trippin'.
- Marilyn is a good singer; I enjoyed her vocal contributions to the BBs tunes.
- I like every style change & new direction of the band. Even the disco version of Here Comes the Night is not that horrendous to my ears. 
- Don't get what's wrong with Jeff's voice, his falsetto is beautiful! And I surely like his lead on Why Do Fools Fall in Love.
- Modern rendition of Do It Again easily beats out the 20/20 original. Brian's middle-eight is superior than Carl's.
- Autotune is not as bad as most of the Smiley Smilers claim it to be. It's quite tastefully done on TWGMTR & 2012 live album.
- I'm glad that the new record doesn't feature Carl or Dennis's vocals.
- Like Brian himself, I prefer the 60s Dennis rather than the 70s. That's when his voice was at the top.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx