gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:02:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348182 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2013, 11:26:23 AM »

Mark Linett and Alan Boyd should not be in control of Beach Boys archival releases.
Oh! And why is that, pray tell?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2013, 11:33:40 AM »

Mark Linett and Alan Boyd should not be in control of Beach Boys archival releases.

That's pure horse sh*t too!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2013, 11:35:52 AM »

Surf's Up/CATP/Holland is one of the most fascinating and downright most unusual episodes in any major rock group's history. People should be grateful this stuff even exists. It's a band challenging their own style and history while maintaining their overall identity and reintroducing some deep album cuts from the 60s into their setlists, as well as developing fresh interpretations of their beloved hit material. Take a look at the pictures from that particular time frame, have a listen to Feel Flows, the California Saga, Cuddle Up, and A Day in the Life of a Tree, even He Come Down! This was a uniquely fascinating group peaking one more time right after all must've seemed bleak and lost for them.
Paulos
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2013, 11:38:07 AM »

-The Wild Honey album is abysmal and the most overrated album in their canon
-Brian's début solo album is unlistenable tripe
-Adult Child is terrible and deserves to stay locked in the vaults for all eternity
-Carl's voice from the late 70's and onwards is annoying, he over sings just about everything
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2013, 11:52:39 AM »

-Adult Child is terrible and deserves to stay locked in the vaults for all eternity
-Carl's voice from the late 70's and onwards is annoying, he over sings just about everything

I think what you actually meant to write was: 'The Wild Honey album is utterly fantastic and the most under-rated album in their canon'.
Paulos
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2013, 11:55:54 AM »

I think what you actually meant to write was: 'The Wild Honey album is utterly fantastic and the most under-rated album in their canon'.

This is an opinion thread. My opinion is that Wild Honey sucks balls. Deal.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2013, 12:09:51 PM »

- Pet Sounds is utterly bland and boring at best. Totally overrated.

I don't see how it's possible to be a Beach Boys fan and dislike Pet Sounds.  If you miss what's great about that album, you miss a lot of what was great about the Beach Boys as well.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2013, 12:19:24 PM »

I don't see how it's possible to be a Beach Boys fan and dislike Pet Sounds.  If you miss what's great about that album, you miss a lot of what was great about the Beach Boys as well.
My bro was 14 when the band broke big and he was a huge fan. Bought every 45 and LP that came out, but that changed with Pet Sounds. While he liked WIBN, GOK & Sloop, he was not a fan of the album or the direction The Boys' took afterward. He still liked the hits, but that was about it. He really never came back to them until I played him 15 Big Ones in 1976. Some people only like the mainstream stuff. Me, I like all of it, even SIP. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2013, 12:25:16 PM »

I don't see how it's possible to be a Beach Boys fan and dislike Pet Sounds.  If you miss what's great about that album, you miss a lot of what was great about the Beach Boys as well.

The whole point of this thread is to voice unpopular opinions. I don't think it's the place to try to shut folks down for having them. I certainly appreciate the artistry of Pet Sounds, but most days I would rather listen to several other BB/BW albums.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2013, 12:28:21 PM »

Dennis frankly sounds a little sociopathic.

Really? How? Please elaborate.

He does. I don't think he *was* sociopathic, mind -- just messed up in a lot of other ways -- but look at the classic Hare sociopathy checklist http://sociopathicstyle.com/traits/classic.htm . Now note, that checklist is *only considered valid when administered by a clinically trained psychologist under controlled conditions*. None of us can possibly diagnose Dennis. But looking at the list:

1. GLIB and SUPERFICIAL CHARM -- Definitely.
2. GRANDIOSE SELF-WORTH -- Doubtful
3. NEED FOR STIMULATION or PRONENESS TO BOREDOM -- Definitely
4. PATHOLOGICAL LYING -- Don't think so
5. CONNING AND MANIPULATIVENESS- Don't think so
6. LACK OF REMORSE OR GUILT -- Don't think so
7. SHALLOW AFFECT -- Definitely not
8. CALLOUSNESS and LACK OF EMPATHY -- Defnitely not
9. PARASITIC LIFESTYLE  (an intentional, manipulative, selfish, and exploitative financial dependence on others as reflected in a lack of motivation, low self-discipline, and inability to begin or complete responsibilities) -- Arguable
10. POOR BEHAVIORAL CONTROLS (expressions of irritability, annoyance, impatience, threats, aggression, and verbal abuse; inadequate control of anger and temper; acting hastily.) -- Definitely
11. PROMISCUOUS SEXUAL BEHAVIOR -- This is Dennis we're talking about
12. EARLY BEHAVIOR PROBLEMS -- Definitely
13. LACK OF REALISTIC, LONG-TERM GOALS (an inability or persistent failure to develop and execute long-term plans and goals; a nomadic existence, aimless, lacking direction in life.) -- sounds plausible
14. IMPULSIVITY -- Definitely
15. IRRESPONSIBILITY ( repeated failure to fulfill or honor obligations and commitments; such as not paying bills, defaulting on loans, performing sloppy work, being absent or late to work, failing to honor contractual agreements.) -- Definitely
16. FAILURE TO ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR OWN ACTIONS -- Don't know enough to say
17. MANY SHORT-TERM MARITAL RELATIONSHIPS -- This is Dennis we're talking about
18. JUVENILE DELINQUENCY -- Definitely
19. REVOCATION OF CONDITION RELEASE -- No
20. CRIMINAL VERSATILITY -- No

So of the twenty things on the checklist, one could argue that Dennis fits eleven of them.

Again, that's not to say that he *was* a sociopath -- but to say that saying he sounds like one isn't unreasonable.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2013, 12:28:27 PM »

Love You is severely overrated on this board.

what about the night was so young? dontcha like it?

Yeah, it's fantastic, but I'm talking about the album as a whole.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2013, 12:36:02 PM »

I enjoy Battle Hymn of the Republic.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2013, 12:52:49 PM »

Andrew beat me to it!

My take is that Dennis seems to really have cared precious little for anyone other than himself, and possibly the band. His treatment of women was abysmal, and he certainly wasn't much of a parent. He basically did whatever he wanted and never had to face the consequences -- until the last few years, when doing so meant that his world collapsed. I don't have a lot of patience for unrepentant f***-ups, which seems to be what Dennis was.

All of this is separate from his music, of course. And while I've called some of his compositions overrated, I do think he was a outstanding producer and distinctive vocalist, and his best songs are very good indeed.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2013, 01:09:15 PM »

"My World Fell Down" as it is but with Beach Boys vocals would be a better follow-up to Good Vibrations than "Heroes and Villains".

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2013, 01:24:52 PM »

"Does anyone actually like that surf and cars sh*t they did before Pet Sounds?"

Seems like it's just not OK on this board to criticize the lyrics of the early songs.  People bend over backward to justify them -- some even claim that Brian was expressing spirituality, but masking it through analogies to cars and surfing.

But setting aside the surf/car/high school/summer fun songs, it's the lyrcis for a few others that were really inexcusable.  Wendy ("I can't picture you with him / His future looks awful dim"), Don't Hurt My Little Sister ("Why don't you love her/Like her big brother"), Amusement Parks USA, Salt Lake City, etc.   Horrible, horrible.

Lyrics matter, but you wouldn't know that from reading this board.

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2013, 01:29:02 PM »

I love all those early tunes- I don't put them on that often, but when I do I can't stop listening. Brian may not have been aware of the metaphors, but the songs would become more poetic with the passing of time...especially looking back at how the 60's began, and then how they ended. There is an optimism in those songs that I really resonate with.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2013, 01:31:28 PM »

And the winner is...
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2013, 01:33:24 PM »

I love all those early tunes- I don't put them on that often, but when I do I can't stop listening. Brian may not have been aware of the metaphors, but the songs would become more poetic with the passing of time...especially looking back at how the 60's began, and then how they ended. There is an optimism in those songs that I really resonate with.
You are correct. Something is lost in the meaning through changes in time. The lyrics were thoughtful and innocent, as were the times, at least for me and my siblings growing up when those songs were released.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2013, 01:38:00 PM »

And the winner is...

Hehe. I can not for the world see why people dislike that track so much. It's groovy.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2013, 02:15:51 PM »

I of course mean "Goin' Pubic"
[/quote]

Goin Pubic....Never heard of that one. Brazilian release is it? Wink
[/quote]
Best Post Ever !

Anyway - why all the love for Love You ?

Why all the love for Getcha Back ? One of the worst songs on BB85
MBE
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2013, 02:21:57 PM »

I like early rock lyrics so I have no problem. Simple is good and I know as a pre college teen I related a lot more to Wendy than Feel Flows.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2013, 02:29:01 PM »

The 1970-1973 period isn't as great as it made out to be.

I would divide that period into two: the Sunflower, Surf's Up Period and the Ricky/Blondie Era. In my (unpopular) opinion the first two albums mentioned are gems but the albums during the Ricky/Blondie era are abysmal.

That brings up another unpopular opinion: Ricky and Blondie weren't true Beach Boys. They were little more than hired hands.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:29:52 PM by Miss Amanda Jones » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2013, 02:32:42 PM »

Andrew beat me to it!

My take is that Dennis seems to really have cared precious little for anyone other than himself, and possibly the band. His treatment of women was abysmal, and he certainly wasn't much of a parent. He basically did whatever he wanted and never had to face the consequences -- until the last few years, when doing so meant that his world collapsed. I don't have a lot of patience for unrepentant f***-ups, which seems to be what Dennis was.

All of this is separate from his music, of course. And while I've called some of his compositions overrated, I do think he was a outstanding producer and distinctive vocalist, and his best songs are very good indeed.

Thanks for elaborating, it's a fascinating perspective. Personally I wouldn't necessarily call the guy an actual f***-up but I can see your point. To me it always seemed like he was trying hard to be a sweet, gentle guy despite his somewhat wild personality. Hence the romantic yet passionate, sometimes overblown music he did. I think he was a very good and sometimes brilliant songwriter as well as an exceptional singer. Would love to know a lot more about the final years of his life. He looks downright weird (and weary) in some of the footage I've seen and then again, kind of cool in other pictures from that particular time frame. Makes it all even more intriguing.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2013, 02:37:11 PM »

That brings up another unpopular opinion: Ricky and Blondie weren't true Beach Boys. They were little more than hired hands.

There was that famous incident when David Frost sold heroin to Mike Love on the airport tarmac who then threw his apple jug at Carol Kaye and screamed to Blondie and Ricky: "you're nothing but errand boys sent by grocery clerks!"

After that he wrote the hook to Good Vibrations twice before somebody told him he already came up with it years before.

Also,  "Male Ego" is better than "Help Me Rhonda."

Paulos
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2013, 02:42:39 PM »

The 1970-1973 period isn't as great as it made out to be.

I would divide that period into two: the Sunflower, Surf's Up Period and the Ricky/Blondie Era. In my (unpopular) opinion the first two albums mentioned are gems but the albums during the Ricky/Blondie era are abysmal.

They were official Beach Boys and your opinion cannot change that. Hired hands don't write, sing lead and co-produce.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx