gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:41:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348142 times)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2013, 01:57:34 AM »

Mike had much to do with Smile's demise.

Sound of Free was Mike's last good lyric.

I agree that Al has a better sense of what makes a Beach Boys sounding record than anyone in the group - and he proved that on MIU.  But unlike Carl or Brian or Dennis, Al's production is always derivative rather than innovative.

The stereo mix of Pet Sounds is a better way to appreciate Brian's production genius than the rushed, muddy, mistake filled mono mix.

The Al produced Cottonfields single is markedly inferior to Brian's 20/20 version.

Disney Girls is way overrated - it's just as schlocky as Bruce's other songs.

No, maybe, maybe, no, no, yes.

Gotta say, I actually like MIU. (Yeah, the whole album) Brian's voice sounds really good and young on it.

Glad to see there are more and more here who like this album. I think it's a pretty good, very unappreciated album.

I like half of MIU better than any other post-Sunflower 70s BBs songs.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:05:30 AM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2013, 02:40:12 AM »

Although they had a few really good songs, The Beach Boys didn't become a truely great band until 1965.

All their car songs suck.

A compilation of Dennis's Beach Boys songs would kick POB's ass very, very hard.

That Lucky Old Sun and That's Why God Made The Radio are among the ten best albums that The Beach Boys and Brian Wilson ever made.

Tears in the Morning, Deirdre and Disney Girls are really good songs.

Sunflower is the best Beach Boys album.

If Mike hated Dennis's guts, you can't really blame him.

Girl Don't Tell Me, California Girls and Summer Means New Love are the only songs on Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) that are really good.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2013, 02:52:56 AM »

The Beach Boys should have split up after Friends.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2013, 02:58:53 AM »

Bruce is a lazy, talent-light jerk.
He's written one and a half good songs in fifty years (Disney Girls and Deirdre), otherwise it's all schmaltzy sappy gloop.

Let's look back through his history with the band...

He was with the Beach Boys for four years, presumably - you would imagine - itching to contribute a song or two. And when the opportunity duly arose on 20/20 what did we get? Some elevator musak and a sh*t cover version.
He then ruined Sunflower with the eternally atrocious Tears In The Morning, an overlong, boring, corny turd amongst a sea of pop perfection.
Then when the forward-thinking Jack Rieley became their manager - recruiting two South Africans to the band line-up - a genius move! - and restoring the group's reputation in the process - what did Bruce do? He quit. Because, you know, never mind that it was the early seventies and the band had to be cool and relevant to be popular - Bruce just wanted to carry on singing his sentimental vomit-inducing cheese-fests.
He then wrote I Write The Songs. No further comment required.
He then returned to the group, just in time to ruin L.A. Light Album with a soul-destroyingly awful disco remake of HCTN, thus ruining both their new album and the memory of the terrific Wild Honey original in the process.
He then inserted his head up the anus of Mike Love, where it has remained ever since. He removes it only occasionally, usually so he can stand around doing hand claps on stage, or so he can spout unpleasant right-wing rich-boy nastiness, or so he can slag off Friends and make history-rewriting selective-memory comments re Smile (Bruce ten years ago: ''Brian had us crawling around on our hands and knees. It was all so fucking embarrassing'').

Oh dear, and I've got you "Goin' Solo" for your birthday. Oops

edit

I of course mean "Goin' Pubic"

Goin Pubic....Never heard of that one. Brazilian release is it? Wink
Youre Under Arrest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2013, 03:05:38 AM »

"Got To Know The Woman" is a great song. It's really fun and fits the mood of the album.

"Funky Pretty" gets really boring with the outro tag and the little electronic beeps are irritating.

The last two songs on "Friends" are really poor.

The spoken word part of the California Saga is fantastic. It adds to the mystique and wonder of the trilogy and really sets a tone of Big Sur and California.

Carl And The Passions- So Tough is a really good album. The songs are really amazing.

"My name is Brian and I'm the man, I write hit songs with the wave of my hand" - Brian Wilson

Not only was Brian a musical genius, but he was a real cool head, making real good bread.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2013, 03:14:29 AM »

Absolutely love the Light Album.

In no way is Love You "overrated" by anyone. Smiley

I like "Lahaina Aloha" much better than most of the songs on TWGMTR, even though that's a very decent album.

Big fan of "Bill and Sue".

I really enjoy the overall production of 15 Big Ones and think the only real weak spots are Alan and Mike's originals.

Wouldn't change a single thing about the overall sound of Wild Honey. Near-perfect album.

I like most of the group's 80s singles and really enjoyed the somewhat frequent discussions about that material on the Male Ego board.

CATP and Holland are both fantastic but I find it perfectly reasonable Blondie and Ricky weren't part of the C50 reunion. They should've guested occasionally, though.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2013, 04:07:39 AM »

Brian Wilson's first solo album is HORRIBLE.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2013, 06:40:56 AM »

Seen these on other forums. Figured I'd start one here. Don't try to kill each other ok?  LOL
-I've never heard Summer of Paradise but I have a hard time believing it's worse then Beach Boys 85. Aside from Getcha Back...dear god.
-I...kinda like I Just Got My Pay over Marcella.
-I like When Girls Get Together...but it is one of the weakest early 70's tracks for sure. Ditto Endless Summer.
-Love You is great...but there are some REALLY weak tracks on there.
-Speaking of that, Good Time is VERY underrated.
-As a Beach Boys album, M.I.U stinks...but I love it as an easy listening album (especially Come Go with Me)
-Mt. Vernon and Fairway is better without Jack Riley's narration.
-SMiLE's version of Wind Chimes is better then Smiley Smile's but Smiley's has a better tag.
-Little Pad is another VERY underrated song and the stereo version blew my mind!  LOL
-Sunflower is a CLOSE second to Pet Sounds. I may even consider it #1 but some songs are really bad (Got to Know the Woman especially)

I love the idea of this thread, but those statements don't strike me as Beach Boy "hot button" issues... they don't seem to be things that people would have passionate beliefs about, although I haven't read the rest of the comments yet, so maybe I'm wrong...
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2013, 07:14:45 AM »

Mike had much to do with Smile's demise.

First of all - I have to say this is the coolest thread I've seen on here in a while! GREAT IDEA!!

Second - Bicyclerider - you must be joking! I find it to be an EXTREMELY POPULAR view that Mike was the MAIN reason behind the demise of Smile. Have you seen the Beautiful Dreamer doc? Mike is really the only SUBSTANTIVE reason that is given for why Smile wasn't finished, aside from some vague references to Brian starting to get paranoid, and a very quick reference to the lawsuit against Capitol. I just could not disagree with you more. I think what's unpopular is to suggest that Mike Love was NOT the primary reason for Smile's demise, and in fact had more to do with Brian's drug use, lack of focus, and simple inability to realize his vision.

Third - some of my unpopular opinions:

-Summer in Paradise is very enjoyable and has at least two classics on it
-KTSA is GREAT
-BB 85 is awful
-MIU is awful
-Holland blows
-Problem child is fantastic
-Beaches in Mind is fantastic
-Mike Love is NOT the reason Smile fell apart.
-Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Fataar are an interesting footnote in the BBs history, nothing more. And their songs sucked.
-Brian Wilson Presents Smile is horrible. Just horrible.

I'll leave it at that!!  Grin

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2013, 07:16:40 AM »

Here are a few of mine and let me state in advance, --Just sayin'--

With the exception of three songs, Smiley Smile sounds totally amateurish.

None of the albums after Surf's Up is worth writing home about.

I'll take Student Demo Time over Take a Load Off or Don't Go Near the Water any day.

Bluebirds is a goofy song, but I'll take it over All I Want to Do.

Got to Know the Woman ain't half bad.  Better than roughly half of Dennis' weepy ballads.

Brian killed SMiLE, not Mike.

And yes, I spell it SMiLE.  Deal!

That Brian killed Smile and not Mike is now the PARTY LINE around these parts.  Better look further for an unpopular opnion!  Smiley
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2013, 07:34:52 AM »

-Mike Love is NOT the reason Smile fell apart.

But wasn't it Mike who said to Brian, when that building burned down across the street, "Now look what you've done with recording that crazy fire music? This wouldn't have happened if you had written some new surf songs with me!" And didn't Mike tell Brian that this journalist's girlfriend was a witch who's doing mindf*cks with him? Or do I mix something up? Shocked

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2013, 08:13:33 AM »

-Everybody Wants to Live is one of my favorite Brian songs.

That Lucky Old Sun and That's Why God Made The Radio are among the ten best albums that The Beach Boys and Brian Wilson ever made.

Yes and yes!

- 'Summer's Gone' is one of the most beautiful, emotional and breathtaking Beach Boys songs ever recorded.

- Al Jardine's voice is my least favourite one in the group (aside Bruce's) because I think it lacks personality/a uniqueness of its own.

- Carl and The Passions is a big favourite of mine and my most played BB record.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:14:38 AM by Ovi » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2013, 08:19:29 AM »

* The greatest missing link in the Beach Boys story is the scrapped Manson recordings

Eh? That'd be like saying the greatest missing link in The Beach Boys story is Teeter Totter Love, or A World Of Peace Must Come, but I guess those have been released....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2013, 08:30:37 AM »

Dennis frankly sounds a little sociopathic.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2013, 08:33:27 AM »

The 1970-1973 period isn't as great as it made out to be.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2013, 08:43:11 AM »

Anyway, I wonder....

When they're good, The Beach Boys are one of my favourite bands of all time. The songs, production, etc, peerless. Amazing. However, when they're bad, The Beach Boys are simultaneously the worst band I've ever heard, absolutely dreadful - They've really made terrible, gutwrenching crap, especially when you factor in boots.

Of course, this kind of makes me love them more, but still. They've done absolutely abominable things.... especially Brian.

I really dislike I Know There's An Answer/Hang On To Your Ego, the banjo break is the sole redeeming feature.

I like Brian's voice in the 90's - Paley, OCA, etc. The only problem being he didn't quite use it appropriately, ie, dense harmony stacks where he can't quite get the highest notes, on OCA especially, which I think might be peoples biggest problem.

I could listen to acappella mixes of the group all day, and think they're pretty much the best thing besides wholly unreleased tunes on Hawthorne, Endless Harmony, the GV box, etc.

I have absolutely no desire to listen to the 1964 Live Album - I never have, in fact.

The Beach Boys shouldn't have hired Curt Becher & Bruce to do the HCTN Disco Remix, they should have hired The Chic Organisation. If they did, it would have been a work of unparalleled genius instead of a baffling embarrassment with inexplicable monkey noises.

I really like Don't Be Scared off Goin' Public, and at times think Bruce had the most potential to deliver genius/massive comeback records in the group after, IDK, Dennis checked out of songwriting because of his piano chops and harmonic understanding - lyrics, well, that's what a collaborator's for.... (as for Brian, LY, A/C, etc are obviously great, but v left field. And then he got boring and formulaic with MIU, KTSA, and BB85)

Not making 'The Paley Sessions' songs into a new Beach Boys album was possibly the stupidest decision all five of them made. Or at least Carl.

Carl lost his taste in about 1979 - with one towering exception, It's Getting Late. If Prince released that, it would have gone top #20.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:45:17 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2013, 08:45:09 AM »

And the corollary - the Beach Boys owe their resurgence in popularity to one man - Jack Reilly.  PR baby, PR.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »

and not as bad as taken from your post above, either. They were positively great as a live band.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2013, 09:59:45 AM »

I really enjoy the 1977 Christmas material, I like the MIU remakes a whole lot better than the versions on MIU.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2013, 10:16:01 AM »

Dennis frankly sounds a little sociopathic.

Really? How? Please elaborate.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2013, 10:32:28 AM »

Now that's just plain horse sh*t!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2013, 10:36:21 AM »

Now that's just plain horse sh*t!

Smiley
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2013, 11:01:45 AM »

"Got To Know The Woman" is a great song. It's really fun and fits the mood of the album.

"Funky Pretty" gets really boring with the outro tag and the little electronic beeps are irritating.

The last two songs on "Friends" are really poor.

The spoken word part of the California Saga is fantastic. It adds to the mystique and wonder of the trilogy and really sets a tone of Big Sur and California.

Carl And The Passions- So Tough is a really good album. The songs are really amazing.

Agree, strongly disagree, half agree/disagree, agree, 70% agree.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2013, 11:05:32 AM »

You're right - it's even better.

In fact, I'm so used to hearing people on here saying they don't particularly like or rate Surf's Up/CATP/Holland that I'd say stating that you think all three are absolutely fantastic would a more unpopular opinion...
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2013, 11:21:04 AM »

Mark Linett and Alan Boyd should not be in control of Beach Boys archival releases.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx