gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:48:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348089 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 08:56:10 PM »

Dennis' vocal kinda sucks on In the Back of My Mind, and Brian's decision to have him sing the lead to that is worse...imagine the possibilities of the harmonies over the bridge section, a Carl lead vocal, the guys trading off parts...such a great song and a blah kinda vocal line...

Hell yeah. Honestly...I feel it is a great production of a poorly written song. Dennis's vocals aren't bad, but the melody itself is IMHO one of the weakest of Brian's career.

Here are mine...

-Don't Hurt My Little Sister sucks . Out of every song the Beach Boys ever recorded, this is the only song I have barely one positive thing to say about. It sounds unfinished, and I think if anybody else had sung it, others would hate it as much as I do.

- I love every Beach Boys album from All Summer Long onwards until Still Cruisin...except LA Light.

-I love Brian's voice through all of the stages. That said, I prefer his voice from 1966 onwards to what came before, even the mid-70s era. Sometimes, especially so.

- No secret that Friends and 20/20 are my favorite BB albums. What few know is I prefer MIU to Today.

- I think Carl's vocals from 1976-1980 are generally terrible with a few exceptions.

- Pet Sounds is a great album, but I'd rather listen to Friends, 20/20, Wild Honey, Sunflower, So Tough, Holland, and Surf's Up. I still feel it's one of the greatest albums of all time, but I have to be in the right mood to listen to it.

-Everybody Wants to Live is one of my favorite Brian songs.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 09:00:48 PM »

Can't stand Dennis' vocals post-CATP.
Can barely get through LA Light. I like Good Timin, Lynda, and Sumahama....that's it.
BB'85 for me is one of their most solid albums.
Love You is severely overrated on this board.
Wish Break Away was on Sunflower.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2013, 09:06:45 PM »

Love You is severely overrated on this board.

what about the night was so young? dontcha like it?

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2013, 09:09:16 PM »

I like Marcella, but I Just Got My Pay is way cooler and is the betterest of the two - not everybody knows a Marcella who also happens to be a stripper masseuse, but anybody can relate to just getting their pay from the crappy job they slave at.  

Pet Sounds is not the greatest album ever made, it's only one of the greatest on a list of many many many other albums.   The album cover too, though now iconic, is crap and does not serve the music on the record at all.

Dennis Wilson should have written more uptempo/rocking out tunes (but not like Got To Know The Woman) and cut down a bit on the over-emotive ballads (though many are indeed works of transcendent beauty).  

Surfer Girl is a better over all album than All Summer Long.  Every track on it is good and enjoyable, it has a decent flow, and it epitomizes the band in a more sincere way than ASL does (though ASL does contain some classic tracks)

Sunflower is so overrated it's really amazing.    It's wonderfully produced, but the flow stinks and there's really only a handful of truly excellent material.  

Carl and The Passions needs to get more love.   It has no flow, but each of the songs are really good.  It was also the first album since Smile collapsed where they did not hook the album to a Smile relic.  This is the band for the first time standing as their own completely (albeit with some amount of participation by Brian).  

I want Smiley Smile to be played at my funeral ....followed by Friends - which really is one of the best pop albums ever made anywhere in any lifetime by anyone.
Two nice, short, sweet and wildly different albums to send this potato off into the mystery........

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 09:14:05 PM by SenorPotatoHead » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2013, 09:18:53 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:03:11 PM by zatch » Logged
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2013, 09:36:13 PM »

Here are a few of mine and let me state in advance, --Just sayin'--

With the exception of three songs, Smiley Smile sounds totally amateurish.

None of the albums after Surf's Up is worth writing home about.

I'll take Student Demo Time over Take a Load Off or Don't Go Near the Water any day.

Bluebirds is a goofy song, but I'll take it over All I Want to Do.

Got to Know the Woman ain't half bad.  Better than roughly half of Dennis' weepy ballads.

Brian killed SMiLE, not Mike.

And yes, I spell it SMiLE.  Deal!

clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2013, 09:45:14 PM »

The Love/Melcher songwriting team came up with some catchy tunes.

Mike Love and Al Jardine were the only Beach Boys to fulfill their potential. Brian, Carl, Dennis, and Bruce, all in their different ways, blew it.

Jack Rieiey's vocal on 'A Day in the Life of a Tree' enhances the song.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »

So...

I think Friends is incredibly overrated. I like "Diamond Head" a lot, and the title track is nice, but over the years I've just lost my love for it. I used to really dig it.

I think Dennis wrote a few really awesome songs, but overall I don't think he's an incredible talent.

The 1971 "Surf's Up" is by far my favorite version of the song, with the 1967 version from the Wild Honey era coming in second.

I don't understand why That Lucky Old Sun is looked at as such a great work for Brian. I really don't care for most of it. Maybe one day I'll get it.

Joe Thomas produces the best modern day Brian vocals, and I'm personally happy Brian's continuing to work with him, since Brian's forte is vocals (along with songwriting).

I think Bruce is pretty lame overall, and don't like many of his songs, but for some reason I kinda like "Slow Summer Dancing (One Summer Night)".

I also think the "contemporary" stuff on Still Cruisin' is pretty great, besides "Wipe Out". I really love "Make It Big", "Still Cruisin'", "Island Girl", etc.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2013, 10:03:01 PM »

1. Charles Manson should have taken Brian's place in the late 60's on tour then the murders would have never happened.
2.Brian should have produced some of Elvis' movie soundtracks like "Girls, girls, girls" etc
3.Dennis faked his death
4.Brian's next cd is going to be a full fledged Christian rock cd
5."Good vibrations" should have had a part 2 on the flip side.
6. the H&V single should have been parts 1 and 2 but the length should have been 10 minutes per side.
7.Murry Wilson tried to "Knock off" Jan Berry, hence his car wreck
8.they had a long lost brother named Gummo and a sister who was kept tied up in the basement and is still there till this day.
9.Brian and Spector should have done a duet album together back in the 90's
10. "Oh yeah" and "Fig plucker" are their best songs out of all of them
11."Kokomo" should have been a bigger hit
12. Al Jardine is the true genius of the group.
13.Bruce Johnston should have given them "I write the songs" to record
14. "The many moods of Murry Wilson" should have had the beach boys name and voices on it.
15. "Love You" should have been titled "Hate You".
16.MIU is too good to have the beach boys name on it.
17. keeping the summer alive should have had a photo of the band giving someone CPR/ Heart Shock on the cover
18.Everybody want's to live for the most part but life is for the living only for few people
19.Fun Fun Fun should be about sex and having the bed being taken away.
20.the beach boys next cd should be all rap...
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2013, 10:08:37 PM »

If you include stuff from that time period in the vaults, you can make every single album far more listenable, especially from the 15BO - KTSA era.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2013, 10:59:33 PM »

Can't stand Dennis' vocals post-CATP.

His leads on Light Album were about my limit. I'll never own POB or Bambu.

and C50 related.

Line-up aside. The tour was the most professional of the bands career.

Not one group statement, press release, interview or appearance gave any indication it was going to last.

TWGMTR was better suited to Barry Manilow. More Bruce than Brian.

A decent lyric first time on IIT and a push from Capitol may have reaped rewards.

Cool thread. Will add some more later maybe. Wink
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2013, 11:09:26 PM »

- Pet Sounds is utterly bland and boring at best. Totally overrated.
- Surf's Up is the last really good song Brian wrote, then it was downhill from there
- I hate Brian's Shortening Bread songs
- Dennis should have been the band's musical leader post-1973, POB sounding music instead of MIU and LA
- I don't understand why they lost the ability to write songs >80's. Even I can come up with better songs (my opinion)

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2013, 11:15:27 PM »

Congratulations! You win for posting THE most unpopular Beach Boys opinion yet! Cheesy

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2013, 11:23:48 PM »

Congratulations! You win for posting THE most unpopular Beach Boys opinion yet! Cheesy

Do I win a copy of Pet Sounds? Smiley
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 11:25:47 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2013, 11:25:04 PM »

Seen these on other forums. Figured I'd start one here. Don't try to kill each other ok?  LOL
-I've never heard Summer of Paradise but I have a hard time believing it's worse then Beach Boys 85. Aside from Getcha Back...dear god.
-I...kinda like I Just Got My Pay over Marcella.
-I like When Girls Get Together...but it is one of the weakest early 70's tracks for sure. Ditto Endless Summer.
-Love You is great...but there are some REALLY weak tracks on there.
-Speaking of that, Good Time is VERY underrated.
-As a Beach Boys album, M.I.U stinks...but I love it as an easy listening album (especially Come Go with Me)
-Mt. Vernon and Fairway is better without Jack Riley's narration.
-SMiLE's version of Wind Chimes is better then Smiley Smile's but Smiley's has a better tag.
-Little Pad is another VERY underrated song and the stereo version blew my mind!  LOL
-Sunflower is a CLOSE second to Pet Sounds. I may even consider it #1 but some songs are really bad (Got to Know the Woman especially)

I don't know if any one of those is actually an unpopular Beach Boys opinion. I think most members of the board would agree with you on most of those. Excepting the SIP one. And maybe IJGMP vs. Marcella ...

Well...
Got To Know The Woman is bloody fantastic - you hear me: it's fantastic!;
I don't think Mt. Vernon is better without Jack Rieley's narration, his speaking voice works brilliantly throughout and the musical interludes still get plenty of opportunity to shine;
I Just Got My Pay is vastly inferior to Marcella - IJGMP is a throwaway but fun ditty, Marcella is a well-crafted pop/rock gem with a superb fade;
Summer In Paradise likewise is vastly inferior to Beach Boys '85 - in fact, Beach Boys '85 is often very good, especially Where I Belong which is criminally under-rated;
When Girls Get Together is a sack of crap.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2013, 11:27:55 PM »

-Don't Hurt My Little Sister sucks . Out of every song the Beach Boys ever recorded, this is the only song I have barely one positive thing to say about. It sounds unfinished, and I think if anybody else had sung it, others would hate it as much as I do.

I can't believe I just read that. Shocked

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2013, 11:36:25 PM »

Surf's Up 1971 > any other version of same.
Transcendental Meditation is the perfect track to close side 2 of the Friends LP.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2013, 11:38:42 PM »

They made better albums than Pet Sounds. Why 99.9% of the band's acclaim rests on this one album (and it's scrapped followup) is a mystery to me.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2013, 11:47:00 PM »

They made better albums than Pet Sounds. Why 99.9% of the band's acclaim rests on this one album (and it's scrapped followup) is a mystery to me.

I don't know about better, but certainly equal to it. And a couple feature individual songs better than any single Pet Sounds track ...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2013, 11:49:07 PM »

If you include stuff from that time period in the vaults, you can make every single album far more listenable, especially from the 15BO - KTSA era.

YES
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2013, 11:49:14 PM »

Bruce is a lazy, talent-light jerk.
He's written one and a half good songs in fifty years (Disney Girls and Deirdre), otherwise it's all schmaltzy sappy gloop.

Let's look back through his history with the band...

He was with the Beach Boys for four years, presumably - you would imagine - itching to contribute a song or two. And when the opportunity duly arose on 20/20 what did we get? Some elevator musak and a sh*t cover version.
He then ruined Sunflower with the eternally atrocious Tears In The Morning, an overlong, boring, corny turd amongst a sea of pop perfection.
Then when the forward-thinking Jack Rieley became their manager - recruiting two South Africans to the band line-up - a genius move! - and restoring the group's reputation in the process - what did Bruce do? He quit. Because, you know, never mind that it was the early seventies and the band had to be cool and relevant to be popular - Bruce just wanted to carry on singing his sentimental vomit-inducing cheese-fests.
He then wrote I Write The Songs. No further comment required.
He then returned to the group, just in time to ruin L.A. Light Album with a soul-destroyingly awful disco remake of HCTN, thus ruining both their new album and the memory of the terrific Wild Honey original in the process.
He then inserted his head up the anus of Mike Love, where it has remained ever since. He removes it only occasionally, usually so he can stand around doing hand claps on stage, or so he can spout unpleasant right-wing rich-boy nastiness, or so he can slag off Friends and make history-rewriting selective-memory comments re Smile (Bruce ten years ago: ''Brian had us crawling around on our hands and knees. It was all so fucking embarrassing'').

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 11:51:14 PM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2013, 11:57:03 PM »

Here's one that is unpopular on this site -

"Brian Wilson is the Beach Boys and the others are just his messengers"

Here's another one that ain't really liked much round these parts

"Mike Love, despite having a few saving graces, is actually quite an unpleasant individual"

(Not that these are my opinions of course.  angel)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2013, 12:05:59 AM »

Bruce is a lazy, talent-light jerk.
He's written one and a half good songs in fifty years (Disney Girls and Deirdre), otherwise it's all schmaltzy sappy gloop.

Let's look back through his history with the band...

He was with the Beach Boys for four years, presumably - you would imagine - itching to contribute a song or two. And when the opportunity duly arose on 20/20 what did we get? Some elevator musak and a sh*t cover version.
He then ruined Sunflower with the eternally atrocious Tears In The Morning, an overlong, boring, corny turd amongst a sea of pop perfection.
Then when the forward-thinking Jack Rieley became their manager - recruiting two South Africans to the band line-up - a genius move! - and restoring the group's reputation in the process - what did Bruce do? He quit. Because, you know, never mind that it was the early seventies and the band had to be cool and relevant to be popular - Bruce just wanted to carry on singing his sentimental vomit-inducing cheese-fests.
He then wrote I Write The Songs. No further comment required.
He then returned to the group, just in time to ruin L.A. Light Album with a soul-destroyingly awful disco remake of HCTN, thus ruining both their new album and the memory of the terrific Wild Honey original in the process.
He then inserted his head up the anus of Mike Love, where it has remained ever since. He removes it only occasionally, usually so he can stand around doing hand claps on stage, or so he can spout unpleasant right-wing rich-boy nastiness, or so he can slag off Friends and make history-rewriting selective-memory comments re Smile (Bruce ten years ago: ''Brian had us crawling around on our hands and knees. It was all so fucking embarrassing'').

Oh dear, and I've got you "Goin' Solo" for your birthday. Oops

edit

I of course mean "Goin' Pubic"
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 12:10:37 AM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2013, 12:36:18 AM »

My unpopular opinions:

*** The Beach Boys' a capella studio recordings don't sound very good (mostly because Brian is mixed in too loudly).

*** I could take-or-leave the instrumentals on Pet Sounds and (gasp!) "Caroline, No".

*** Much of Wild Honey sounds empty and incomplete ("Here Comes the Night", "A Thing of Two", "Aren't You Glad"), and thus not as enjoyable as it easily could have been.

*** Pacific Ocean Blue / Bambu mostly sound like a guy wallowing in a bar (in a not-very-good way).

*** M.I.U. is a terrific album, nearly perfect (minus the mediocre "Peggy Sue" cover and atrocious Mike Love "Belles of Paris" contribution).  It seems more childlike of Brian and endearing to me than Love You.

*** Both Holland and Love You are overrated.  (Seriously, I don't get the obsession with the former; maybe I'll understand someday.)

*** Carl's "gruff" voice is annoying ("You Need a Mess of Help", "Marcella", others)--sounds kinda like a frog.

*** The Beach Boys' use of rockin' guitar is super annoying most of the time--sounds like they are trying desperately to sound cool ("Bluebirds over the Mountain", "All I Want to Do", "Student Demonstration Time", others--"It's About Time" is their only success at this style of guitar).

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2013, 12:47:36 AM »

Here are some that I've expressed overt the years, and also some new ones.

Island fever could have been a hit if promoted well, and if it had been the second single off of SIP.

LA was the best studio album of the 70s, followed by Carl and the passions, then sunflower, then surfs up, love you, Holland, miu, 15bo.

I'm not a big fan of "cry" on the imagination album, but I love "sunshine" from the same album.

"Shelter" sounds like it has nothing to do with the beach boys, and should have been on a Brian solo album.

I love summer in paradise! For years it was in my top 10 bb albums, and although it no longer is, I still enjoy it, particularly hot fun in the summertime.

Still cruisin is one of my favorite songs to hear in the car, I never grow tired of it.

I like a lot of the tracks that Mike's band Celebration did, even the ones that had no beach boy involvement.

Pacific ocean blue is far far better than bambu would ever have been, even if it had been completed.

The single version of its ok is 10000x more enjoyable than the album version. Ditto the single version of rock and roll music.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx