gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:03:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Listening to MIC  (Read 11986 times)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2013, 07:39:29 AM »

So here's my fantasy.

SMiLE

A
1. You're Welcome
2. Heroes And Villains

YES!!!! I thought it was just me.....

But I'd have Prayer into GV opening side 2

Even if Brian decided otherwise in 2004, I still think Prayer is an absolutely inadequate track to open an album called "SMiLE" with such a funny LP cover. If the album title was "Dumb Angel", Prayer would be a perfect opener!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2013, 07:59:11 AM »

I dunno. I think it's the perfect opener. All serious and religious then it kicks, without warning, into Gee and Heroes in Villains. Perfect imo. Reminds me of those funeral processions in New Orleans (like in Live and Let Die) where it's somber and sober and then kicks high gear into dancing and merry making. Makes me smile every time.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:12:39 AM by pixletwin » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2013, 08:11:27 AM »

I dunno either! Smiley

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2013, 11:01:12 AM »

I dunno. I think it's the perfect opener. All serious and religious then it kicks, without warning, into Gee and Heroes in Villains. Perfect imo. Reminds me of those funeral processions in New Orleans (like in Live and Let Die) where it's somber and sober and then kicks high gear into dancing and merry making. Makes me smile every time.

As far as I know, Gee following Prayer was a Darian idea. I've never for one minute thought this was the intended sequence.

You're Welcome is in the same key as H&V, so to me feels a lot more natural as an opener.

I'm also pretty sure there is a vintage edit of Prayer, which is identical to the "reprise" on BWPS. This suggests to me that at one point, Brian intended GV to open Smile, after Prayer.

All conjecture, however
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2013, 11:19:50 AM »

I find it funny how so many fans get so literal on the meaning of the lyrics and titles as if everyone listens to SMiLE with a smile at all times or is supposed to.  I think Prayer works perfectly how it goes right into Gee and H&V (though the crossfade from the trombone to H&V should have been quicker).  And personally, I never listen to You're Welcome, I think it's a weak track, while Prayer is stunning.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2013, 12:30:49 PM »

I'm also pretty sure there is a vintage edit of Prayer, which is identical to the "reprise" on BWPS. This suggests to me that at one point, Brian intended GV to open Smile, after Prayer.

All conjecture, however

The only alternate edit of Prayer I know of with the penultimate phrase removed. Why? Who knows. But….maybe rather than repeat the same song twice the extracted phrase could have come at the end of the album, thus creating the “amen” moment Vosse referred to in his ’69 interview.  A similar idea was used on BWPS, though the Prayer segment used is not the same as the segment extracted from the alternate Prayer edit.

Smile was probably going to be an album with a little extra somethin’ somethin’ at the beginning, just like Pet Sounds was an album with a extra somethin’ somethin’ at the end.

Link tracks…PAH! The only "gee" in my Smile is when I say "gee, I sure am glad "Gee" isn't included here." Less is more. 12 tracks. No bullshit.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 12:32:38 PM by Bubba Ho-Tep » Logged
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2013, 12:58:25 PM »

Where did this 12 track, no links idea come from? This site. For me, Smile has always been interlinked, and was always described as interlinked, long before BWPS. That's the nice thing about it though. The '67 Smile is still a very personal thing. We all have our own ideas of what it was.

One thing for sure it was always in flux. So both Prayer and Welcome are contenders for the intro.

Anyway, this thread is getting derailed.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2013, 07:04:50 PM »

One thing for sure it was always in flux. So both Prayer and Welcome are contenders for the intro.

Yeah, because when Brian said "Prayer" was an "intro to the album," he really meant something else.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2013, 07:32:45 PM »

Where did this 12 track, no links idea come from?

The fact that the majority of tracks have fades?
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2013, 11:59:40 PM »

Yeah, because when Brian said "Prayer" was an "intro to the album," he really meant something else.

And he said Bicycle Rider was the chorus to worms. And he said False barnyard was the fade to YAMS. As I said, it was always in flux

Where did this 12 track, no links idea come from?

The fact that the majority of tracks have fades?

I think there would have been some fades, but also that a lot of the songs would have flowed into each other. When sequencing BWPS Brian was very quick to pair up Wonderful / Look, and Barnyard / OMP. He also refers to the piano section of CIFTTM as "Surf's Up intro" in Beautiful Dreamer. Its also possible that the original "Bridge To Indians" is supposed to lead into DYLW, as it goes up into the key of that song, but is totally unrelated to any other H&V section.

My biggest evidence though is that Brian and Van Dyke made it all flow together when they finished it. If it was supposed to be 12 unconnected songs, why not present it as such?

As I said earlier though, all conjecture. Your fantasy finished Smile has 12 unconnected tracks. Mine doesn't. We'll probably never know.  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 12:05:14 AM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2013, 12:42:26 AM »

You're Welcome is in the same key as H&V, so to me feels a lot more natural as an opener.

To me too, but YW is also in the same key as Help Me, Rhonda, so it's probably coincidence.

I think the key of Prayer suggests GV was to follow. I'm sure that was the original idea for the "Dumb Angel" album.

And personally, I never listen to You're Welcome, I think it's a weak track, while Prayer is stunning.

I agree with you that as individual tracks YW is a throwaway track compared to the majestic Prayer. But as an opener for an album called "SMiLE", for me YW works perfectly while Prayer puts me off. You know, like Pet Sounds wouldn't work if you're at the beach on a sunny day.

No need for sarcasm here. Personally, I doubt YW was ever considered by Brian to be the intro. It's just that it works perfectly for me.

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2013, 06:49:18 AM »

Just got and listened to the Friends/ 20-20 two fer the other day and Our Prayer, Cabinessence sounds so weird, out-of-place on that album... (because they are)

But I dont know if I could say sincerely if I had not ever heard Smile that it would have had percieved it that way.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx