gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 08:48:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Listening to MIC  (Read 12052 times)
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2013, 12:45:35 PM »

@runnersdialzero!

Hahaha!  Cheesy

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2013, 01:29:45 PM »

Firstly, I will listen to the Surf's Up album in all it's true potential glory:

Side A:

Sound of Free
Don't Go Near The Water
Take A Load Off Your Feet
Feel Flows
Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again

Side B:

4th Of July
Long Promised Road (linked to 4th)
Disney Girls
Lookin' At Tomorrow
A Day In The Life Of A Tree
'Til I Die
Surf's Up

Smokin

Many will disagree with this configuration, but this is the way I want to hear WIBNTLA in a realistic context (assuming this is how Carl could've done it and Dennis consented).

Great idea! However, I'd have WIBNTLA coming after Til I Die, which - correct me if I'm wrong - is how Dennis wanted it. I'm going to sequence the following track-listing:

1. Don't Go Near The Water
2. Long Promised Road
3. Sound Of Free
4. Disney Girls
5. 4th Of July

6. Feel Flows
7. Lookin' At Tomorrow
8. A Day In The Life Of A Tree
9. Til I Die
10. WIBNTLA
11. Surf's Up

Now that is a freakin' stunning album!!
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2013, 01:34:17 PM »

Side A:

Sound of Free
Don't Go Near The Water
Feel Flows

Side B:

4th Of July
Disney Girls
Lookin' At Tomorrow
'Til I Die
Surf's Up

Smokin

Many will disagree with this configuration, but this is the way I want to hear WIBNTLA in a realistic context (assuming this is how Carl could've done it and Dennis consented).

Yep, the impact of "WIBNTLA" on a SURF'S UP tracklist is something we will ponder. Would SURF'S UP have been The Beach Boys' greatest album had the Dennis stuff made the final lineup?
zachrwolfe
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2013, 01:45:05 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:03:40 PM by zatch » Logged
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2013, 01:55:55 PM »

Thread title is extremely misleading.

I believe extreme thought was given to make certain you were misled

X-TREEEEEME

X-TREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEME

Ahem

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2013, 02:01:29 PM »

Side A:

Sound of Free
Don't Go Near The Water
Feel Flows

Side B:

4th Of July
Disney Girls
Lookin' At Tomorrow
'Til I Die
Surf's Up

Smokin

Great idea! However, I'd have WIBNTLA coming after Til I Die, which - correct me if I'm wrong - is how Dennis wanted it. I'm going to sequence the following track-listing:

1. Don't Go Near The Water
2. Long Promised Road
3. Sound Of Free
4. Disney Girls
5. 4th Of July

6. Feel Flows
7. Lookin' At Tomorrow
8. A Day In The Life Of A Tree
9. Til I Die
10. WIBNTLA
11. Surf's Up

Now that is a freakin' stunning album!!
I think Dennis wanted Live Again to close the album, and Carl's insistence that Surfs Up close the album was the reason he removed his songs. However, I'd have to side with you and Carl here, Surfs Up is a pretty awesome closer.

I'll leave a slightly longer than average pause between the fade of WIBNTLA and Surf's Up kicking in though.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2013, 02:07:22 PM »

I want to Cry cry Cry every time a Beach Boys fan disregards Take A Load Off Your Feet and removes it from fantasy Surf's Up alternate track lists. I will take Feet over any Dennis song except Little Bird. Should i be medicated?

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2013, 02:23:08 PM »

I will also be making an alternate Surf's Up, but nothing will be removed, even SDT, which despite it's horrible lyrics and the aural assault of the siren, is a really rockin' tune that the album needs. The instrumental and backing vocal track on that song are killer.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2013, 03:11:02 PM »

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm blanking - was "Sound of Free" ever considered for Surf's Up (or any BB project) before or after the release of the Rumbo single?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2013, 04:30:17 PM »

I want to Cry cry Cry every time a Beach Boys fan disregards Take A Load Off Your Feet and removes it from fantasy Surf's Up alternate track lists. I will take Feet over any Dennis song except Little Bird. Should i be medicated?

No... Feet is actually fun and catchy. Most Dennis songs are neither of those things.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2013, 04:46:06 PM »

I feel the same whenever someone knocks a Dennis song. There are no winners in the 'playing the ultimate victim of Beach boys fandom'

For what it's worth, i wouldn't remove take a load off your feet. It's a cracking song.

When 'mic' comes out I will wait for someone to upload 'wouldn't it be nice to live again' and the other choice cuts to Youtube, and play the hell out of it. In terms of laying down hard cash, I'm into desirable objects, normally vintage 45s, and this is a modern day collection of cds with a picture of some sand on the cover
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »

I will just tag Feet and SDT at the end (alongside the Desper mix of Til I Die) at then as "bonus tracks" . Smiley
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2013, 11:11:16 PM »

Anyone actually going to wait until they've heard WIBNTLA before they decide where it would fit best on Surf's Up?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2013, 12:02:16 AM »

Hey, what is this? The MIC listening thread or the fantasy Surf's Up resequencing thread?

In case this is the latter, I'll remove Surf's Up, TALOYF and Disney Girls from the lineup and replace them with Live Again, Sound Of Free, 4th Of July, and My Solution. Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2013, 12:14:31 AM »

Anyone actually going to wait until they've heard WIBNTLA before they decide where it would fit best on Surf's Up?

yeah

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2013, 12:14:56 AM »

Take A Load Off Your Feet belongs on Surf's Up. Heck, all of the songs belong there, because that's how the Boys wanted it to be! It's a great, great song. Anyone who takes it out for wacky little songs like TALOYF don't really get the Beach Boys, IMHO. Their music is like... life itself. So many different sides. No one's all sad and emotional all the time. I mean, sometimes you just have to take good care of your feet!

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2013, 12:20:29 AM »

Hey, what is this? The MIC listening thread or the fantasy Surf's Up resequencing thread?

In case this is the latter, I'll remove Surf's Up, TALOYF and Disney Girls from the lineup and replace them with Live Again, Sound Of Free, 4th Of July, and My Solution. Grin

And a 10 minute version of STD. Or do I mean SDT. No, I'll stick with the first.

And yes, Feet stays were it is. The Welfare song can go though. Rich rock star sings about what it's like being unemployed. No thanks. Almost as insulting as "Imagine no possessions"
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2013, 01:10:22 AM »

I'll start with CD 1, track 1 and listen straight through -- probably twice (my wife's away the day it comes out...)

How did you arrange for that? Cheesy

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2013, 01:21:57 AM »

And a 10 minute version of STD. Or do I mean SDT. No, I'll stick with the first.

"Student Temonstration Dime"? Cheesy

To explain why I remove those songs (and "Lookin' At Tomorrow" which I forgot to mention ) is that in my fantasy Surf's Up had already been released on SMiLE, then after Sunflower there was an LP called "Landlocked" with both LAT and TALOYF on it (I love both tracks actually), and finally the next album with the main heap of reality's Surf's Up album would have been called "Sound Of Free". I'll spare you the tracklist, but "SDT" is on there...

HOW AM I GOING TO LISTEN TO MIC?

Start with CD 1, skip the tracks I don't like and go at least until WIBNTLA.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2013, 01:28:25 AM »

Sexually Transmitted Disease
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2013, 01:43:42 AM »

Sexually Transmitted Disease

Student Transmitted Disease…

“We live in divisive times.”
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2013, 02:13:35 AM »

And yes, Feet stays were it is. The Welfare song can go though. Rich rock star sings about what it's like being unemployed. No thanks. Almost as insulting as "Imagine no possessions"

I always thought that until I heard a live version of it from the early 70s, where it sounds twenty-five years ahead of its time...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2013, 02:14:34 AM »

I'll start with CD 1, track 1 and listen straight through -- probably twice (my wife's away the day it comes out...)

How did you arrange for that? Cheesy

Just lucky -- the Minnesota State Fair is that week, and so my wife's going to visit her parents in the US...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2013, 05:18:12 AM »

ehm, I left it on  Grin
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2013, 06:24:25 AM »

Side A:

Sound of Free
Don't Go Near The Water
Feel Flows

Side B:

4th Of July