gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:29:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ‍  (Read 13715 times)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2013, 02:49:28 PM »

If you don't mind me asking, what sources did you use?

Of course not, I love talking about this crap.

The bulk of the backing track is from SOT, but it was missing bass & guitar.

The bass is extracted from the mono mix.

The guitar is also extracted from the mono mix (intro and before outtro).

The vocals are extracted from the mono mix.

I don't wanna be the one to give away the Strawberry Field Forever edit (My Dad STILL doesn't know where it is ha.) but..

The 1st and 2nd choruses are the same. Too time consuming for me to extract both choruses. (sidenote.. the 1st chorus fit into the space for the 2nd chorus PERFECTLY. didn't need to move anything around. just goes to show you how dead on the Wrecking Crew guys were.)

Also the part in D after the "La doo day" part is from the chorus with a tricky little edit that brings it back into the real section.

Then I added some distortion to glue it all together. Kind of makes it sound a little more focused, and hides some of the phase issues.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2013, 03:05:38 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:00:25 PM by zatch » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2013, 03:59:09 PM »

Shouting out some great Smile mixes:

If anyone here hasn't heard it yet, I implore you to get a copy of AlternateBrianWilsonPresents Smile - the most creative/cohesive Smile mix out there.

JMZ's Smile mix is my second favorite - every song on there is mixed perfectly. It's got the best sounding Do You Like Worms version I've heard, as well as a dubbed vocal 'lead' over Look.

@Seltaeb: If you have any other mixes like TLGIOK please share them! Also, could you post or PM me a link to your Stereo Smile mix? - I never got a chance to listen to fully listen to that, and I lost my copy.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 04:03:21 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2013, 04:08:30 PM »

Quite impressive that you were able to extract all that just from just the mono mix. What do you use to do that? I've used Extra Boy before but had little luck.

Also pretty amazing that the two choruses fit in each others' space so well. If that doesn't convince you of the Wrecking Crew's incredible sense of rhythm, nothing will.

Izotope RX. Tedious as hell, but u can basically erase the unwanted frequencies visually.

I have Extra Boy too.  In fact I think I used it as a plug in on the vocal track! Takes away just a little bit more of the unwanted backing track.

Shouting out some great Smile mixes:

If anyone here hasn't heard it yet, I implore you to get a copy of AlternateBrianWilsonPresents Smile - the most creative/cohesive Smile mix out there.

JMZ's Smile mix is my second favorite - every song on there is mixed perfectly. It's got the best sounding Do You Like Worms version I've heard, as well as a dubbed vocal 'lead' over Look.

@Seltaeb: If you have any other mixes like TLGIOK please share them! Also, could you post or PM me a link to your Stereo Smile mix? - I never got a chance to listen to fully listen to that, and I lost my copy.

+1 on those SMiLE mixes. I hadn't even heard them until I got done doing my mix.. so good. Especially considering the sources. I was wrong to claim to be the first to do "Look" with stereo vocals.

And yeah definitely. I have a version of This Whole World with the backing track continuing over the fade at the end, a stereo extraction mix of the alternate vocal version 'Wouldn't It Be Nice'.. and a few others..

Will post everything later!
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2013, 04:22:06 PM »

My favourite Smile mixes would be:

Tygerbug's 3971 edit - This might be purely for personal reasons since it's the first Smile edit I ever heard, but it mixes the 1967 and 2004 versions together remarkably seamlessly, creating the most complete Smile I ever heard. Definitely deserves more attention than it got.

Soniclovenoize's 1967 mix - While I adore the 2004 version's sequencing, it's good to hear a nice honest mix of what the sequencing probably would have been had the project been completed. This edit is great, despite one or two minor mixing flaws ("Great Shape" could have been better done).

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
cube_monkey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2013, 03:41:09 PM »

OMG...on the Desper mix, i can hear a RMI electric piano on the harpischord setting. ew Smiley. I had one of those.  Course it works great in that context.  It
crops up on other 70's stuff, like the Spinners One Of A Kind Love Affair (i think) but Gawd, don't use it in the solo!!!!! Smiley and BS&T uses it on one of their
hits.  just some trivia. Smiley 
zachrwolfe
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2013, 12:43:49 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:59:58 PM by zatch » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2013, 01:17:43 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:59:54 PM by zatch » Logged
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2013, 02:15:36 PM »

Hopefully this may be of interest to some of you here, even though I was just sort of goofing around with it. I was playing with Acid Pro 7 and thought it might be fun to do a dance remix of a Beach Boys song, but the only one I could come up with that had any sort of a real dance groove to it was Dennis's "Pacific Ocean Blues". So here's my attempt to do a vintage '77 disco remix of that song. Apologies in advance!  Afro

https://soundcloud.com/j-pinnacle/pacific-ocean-blues-disco

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2013, 02:18:32 PM »

Hopefully this may be of interest to some of you here, even though I was just sort of goofing around with it. I was playing with Acid Pro 7 and thought it might be fun to do a dance remix of a Beach Boys song, but the only one I could come up with that had any sort of a real dance groove to it was Dennis's "Pacific Ocean Blues". So here's my attempt to do a vintage '77 disco remix of that song. Apologies in advance!  Afro

Holy sh*t, that's so good! I think I prefer it to the original. Nice editing work. I'd love to hear more BB's stuff remixed like this. Where did you pull the drums from?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 02:29:13 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2013, 02:33:55 PM »

Holy sh*t, that's so good! I think I prefer it to the original. Nice editing work. I'd love to hear more BB's stuff remixed like this. Where did you pull the drums from?

Awh, thanks mate! Appreciate your kind words. No secret on the drums, really-- I just knicked the breakdown from this classic bit of disco funk and tweaked it a bit for listenability purposes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2PoMAC0b7A

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2013, 02:41:17 PM »

Wow. Very creative. I didn't even notice all the extra instruments in there at first.

There's gotta be a ton of BB's songs that can be remixed like that. A "Don't Worry Baby" remix would be pretty sweet.

Isn't there a "Matchpoint Of Our Love" remix floating around? I can't remember if they added to it, or if it was just slowed down a bit...
zachrwolfe
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2013, 02:45:33 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:59:50 PM by zatch » Logged
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2013, 02:55:51 PM »

Beach Boys disco remixes... this should definitely be a thing

Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2013, 03:48:15 PM »

Hopefully this may be of interest to some of you here, even though I was just sort of goofing around with it. I was playing with Acid Pro 7 and thought it might be fun to do a dance remix of a Beach Boys song, but the only one I could come up with that had any sort of a real dance groove to it was Dennis's "Pacific Ocean Blues". So here's my attempt to do a vintage '77 disco remix of that song. Apologies in advance!  Afro

That's pretty awesome, man! It works so well for that song!

Thanks! Maybe I'll try my hand at "Matchpoint" in the next couple of days.

SUICIDE
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2013, 04:00:11 PM »

Oh my god. I demand a 12 inch mix!   Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2013, 02:17:13 AM »

Wow. Very creative. I didn't even notice all the extra instruments in there at first.

There's gotta be a ton of BB's songs that can be remixed like that. A "Don't Worry Baby" remix would be pretty sweet.

Isn't there a "Matchpoint Of Our Love" remix floating around? I can't remember if they added to it, or if it was just slowed down a bit...

The Avalanches used a speeded up version in their Breezeblock mix:

http://www.whosdatedwho.com/tpx_89277/the-avalanches/tpx_22047565

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2013, 04:32:34 AM »

I will start it off with my own mix of Here Today: https://soundcloud.com/zachrwolfe/here-today-brian-partial-lead
It starts off with just Brian, then Mike joins Brian just before the chorus, then Brian drops out on the second verse (because he never actually recorded it) only to join in again a little while later. Hope you like it.
Wow, this is so cool! Brian did fantastic lead vocal! Not better or worse than Mike's original, but cool on its own. And all these 2 years of BBs fandom I didn't know about such a gem? Unbelievable. Anyway, Zach, would you mind sharing the download link of your HT mix? I definitely like it more than the Pet Sounds cut. Which says sth. if consider that it's in my Top-5 of the whole record. Thanks in advance & don't care about thinking if it's legal or not, because there are lots of fan mixes around YT & they're OK, nothing's got deleted.

Here's the best I could do with "Little Girl I Once Knew" in stereo: http://limelinx.com/bkva4
Marvelous! An already magical song turned into sth. even more mesmerizing! I love the echoing atmosphere of it & that all the voices are being as one sonic cacophony. No wonder why stereo rules.
Major thanks for stepping in & posting here, seltaeb!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2013, 02:00:38 PM »

The Avalanches used a speeded up version in their Breezeblock mix:

http://www.whosdatedwho.com/tpx_89277/the-avalanches/tpx_22047565

Wow, thank you for that. The Avalanches are HUGE in my list of influences, and I've never actually heard this mix before. Makes total sense that they're Beach Boys freaks though. (Who else would sample "Match Point" but died in the wool fanboys?)

SUICIDE
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2013, 02:48:23 PM »

Funny to come across this sub-thread of Beach Boys disco mixes, I was going through songs Brian was involved in in the 70s looking for killer tags a few weeks back, and fell in love with this tag to Spring's Thinkin' Bout You Baby and looped it up.

https://soundcloud.com/davesegal/spring-ooh-baby-loop-demo

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2013, 03:09:28 PM »

Funny to come across this sub-thread of Beach Boys disco mixes, I was going through songs Brian was involved in in the 70s looking for killer tags a few weeks back, and fell in love with this tag to Spring's Thinkin' Bout You Baby and looped it up.

https://soundcloud.com/davesegal/spring-ooh-baby-loop-demo
That is just mind-rotting. But in a good way!

zachrwolfe
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2013, 11:16:45 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:59:05 PM by zatch » Logged
remy13127
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2013, 10:46:01 AM »

Hi,

I read you every day but I don't post very often. I just wanted to tell you that I've done an Element Suite from SMiLE. I don't know if it has been done before but here is the description of the track :

I tried to do this suite as final part to SMiLE. I used several sound effects of nature (wind, rain, stream, thunderbolt). It starts with the tag to Wind Chimes as "The Elements:Air" with a wind sound surrounding the multi-piano track. Then the wind gets stronger and we can hear the sound of a forest fire, "The Elements:Fire" starts. By the end of "Fire" it starts to rain, "Fire" fades out and "Cool, Cool Water" from the GV box set comes. A thunderbolt is the introduction to the vocal intro to "I Love To Say Dada". "Cool Water" and this represents "The Elements:Water". Then comes "Dada".

I used my favorite stereo bootleg for "Fire" and "Dada", the SMiLE Sessions for "Wind" and the GV box set for "Cool Water".

Here is the link to Soundcloud :
https://soundcloud.com/r-my-torro/the-elements-suite-air-fire

I'm planning to do my own SMiLE with my previous work (the long version of H&V, but I think that instead of expanding the track H&V I'll use the H&V sections as transitions to the tracks). I've also done a "Surf's Up" / "George Fell Into His French Horn" mix and a "Wonderful" mix with the intro of CIFOTM as an intro to "Wonderful" and the "Rock With Me Henry" tag.

Have a nice day !
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2013, 06:04:15 AM »

I've enabled downloading on the soundcloud link, you should be able to click download on it now. Smiley
Just listened to your mix of HT again & my opinion remains the same - it's awesome! Many thanks for the download link!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2013, 04:26:38 PM »

Here's a rather pointless thing I did a few months ago:
http://anotherbeachboysblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/smiley-smile-refurbished-edition.html

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx