gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680752 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 02:47:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Five Songs for MIC  (Read 19248 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2013, 04:01:03 PM »

If the tape existed, it would have been released by now. My guess is it was destroyed or lost long ago, if it wasn't imaginary in the first place.

or it's sitting in a box at VDP or Durrie's house, unlabeled. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Bill Ed
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2013, 08:43:16 PM »

1. Instrumental track for In the Back of My Mind

2. Instrumental track for Kiss Me, Baby

3. Vocal sessions for Please Let Me Wonder

4.  Big Sur (4/4 version)

5.  Loop de Loop (Early version)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2013, 09:07:20 PM »

If the tape existed, it would have been released by now. My guess is it was destroyed or lost long ago, if it wasn't imaginary in the first place.

or it's sitting in a box at VDP or Durrie's house, unlabeled. 
Yes, it existed and yes, it still exists. It's been mentioned a few times on this board that the tape was rediscovered.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2013, 09:23:27 PM »

Sure.  Just like the Durrie Parks acetates, right?  Yeah.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2013, 09:27:34 PM »

Just one for me.

"In The Back Of My Mind" (Brian's 1975 piano demo)

I hope I don't die before I get to hear this. Its the only unreleased track I've ever wanted to hear.
A fan can dream.

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2013, 09:34:23 PM »

Vocal sessions for Please Let Me Wonder

How could I forget about that one?  That would have been GREAT if it were included on the MIC set.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2013, 09:41:28 PM »

Those do exist, IIRC. The Smile boxed set compilers played them and didn't find anything out of the ordinary.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2013, 09:46:17 PM »

*deleted*
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 09:47:47 PM by Jay » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2013, 09:48:06 PM »

Vocal sessions for Please Let Me Wonder

How could I forget about that one?  That would have been GREAT if it were included on the MIC set.
Or at the very least, the version with a set of very different lyrics sung by Mike. When I made my original list, I forgot to mention the version of Oh Darlin' with Brian singing lead. I would also add live versions of Roller Skating Child, Shortnin' Bread, and Angel Come Home, from the Springfield and Nassau shows from 1979. Or was that 1978? I would also add Livin' With A Heartache, Some Of Your Love, and possibly Goin' On from Philly 1980. Man, we really need a box set of strictly live recordings.  Grin

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2013, 10:04:23 PM »

"Livin' With a Heartache". I think that's an underated one. For some reason I can't figure out, some people don't like it. I like it!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 10:12:21 PM by Mikie » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2013, 10:08:52 PM »

Those do exist, IIRC. The Smile boxed set compilers played them and didn't find anything out of the ordinary.

I know that. My point is that for many years fans weren't really sure the Durrie acetates really existed at all!  It was just a rumor and lots of speculation.  Doesn't matter what was finally determined to be on them. Same with the VDP/Sail On Sailor demo tape (and other things rumored to exist that have finally turned up). I remember for many years there was a rumor that an alternate "I Know There's An Answer" with different lyrics existed and an additional section to Heroes & Villains (Cantina) that existed and additional lyrics to Heroes, etc. For YEARS there were rumors about various things, and they eventually came to fruition through boots and legit releases. 

Next thing might be.......a guy who use to work at Columbia finding the multi-track tapes with the vocal sessions for Good Vibrations in his closet. Or the Little Deuce Coupe album multi-tracks. Or.......the '74 Caribou or '75 Beachago tapes geing found.

Never say never in the Beach Boys world. You just never know.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2013, 10:24:30 PM »

Gotcha. It's just that the SOS tape is so legendary ... Ah well. Here's to being surprised some day ...
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2013, 11:58:37 PM »

I totally forgot about "How's About a Little Bit of Your Sweet Lovin'". Love that one. Take that and "Mike Come Back to L.A." and you have the foundation for what could've been an outrageously catchy late-70s singalong album by Brian and the group.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2013, 05:41:16 AM »

I just sent this to Bgas and will share it here.  Cuddle Up single needle drop in great quality!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/wh7gga

Mikie, thanks for that! I was amazed that this was released in mono. It gives the song a directness not felt as much on the stereo mix. I'll have to check to see if I have Mess Of Help... in mono, as well.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2013, 07:36:32 AM »

1. We Got Love
2. Carry Me Home
3. Stevie
4. Life Is For The Living
5. Hard Times/It's A New Day
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2013, 08:07:55 AM »

I've heard it said on here that Carry Me Home was dropped from the final track-list because Brian found it too upsetting...

Is this just rumours or is it based in fact or what? It seems likely really, considering how Brian is on record as having been so affected by Dennis' death and what with the song containing lyrics such as 'I'm afraid to die'.

But it's a pity because it's a stunning song.

It's a shame, but at least "Carry Me Home" is fairly common in the hands of "collectors".  

Yeah, but the sound quality is garbage.

I heard they couldn't find a proper master for "Carry Me Home." Shame too, because I second (or third) everyone here who says it's a powerful piece of music. I first heard it on the "California Feeling" LP in the '80s and more than anything it convinced me Dennis was a first-rate talent. Who leaves something like that unreleased? I've read the quote where he talks about it (in the Byron Preiss book? Can't remember), saying it didn't fit with the Beach Boys. But it should have come out somewhere.

I agree with everyone else who wants "Big Sur" in 4/4 time,"Santa Ana Winds" (early version), "I'm Begging You Please."

But I have one request:

"All This is That" -- the early version. This version is spoken about at length in the Preiss book. It was Al's original draft of the song before Carl and Mike modified it by going in and recording a new melody on different tracks. You can hear Al's original vocal in spots "underneath" the first verse of the released version -- it's that vocal line that pops up now and again (I'm pretty sure that's not a backing vocal, that's an unused vocal line faded in and out). This might be worthy of a post itself. Has anyone ever noticed this but me? It goes like this:

"...into the pool of peace inside..."
Right channel original vocal line: "...travel..."
"two waves and I..."
Right channel original vocal line: "....make a difference to me..."

There's more to it than that, but if you know what to look for, it's easy to spot. I've been curious about this for a long time, so if anyone had noticed it I'd like to know...

The original  version had lyrics based on The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost, if not an exact reading of the poem.  That's where those ghost lines are coming from.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2013, 08:47:01 AM »

1. The Heroes acetate with "I'm in Great Shape" edited in

2. All Day, All Night

3. Good News (Smiley outtake)

4. Sweetie

5. Carry Me Home - this is the track that although it's been bootlegged I'd love to have it in better quality - although other tracks would fit this category like I'm Going Your Way, It's a New Day, Life is for the Living.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2013, 11:37:57 AM »

"Livin' With a Heartache". I think that's an underated one. For some reason I can't figure out, some people don't like it. I like it!

I like it too. Best song on KTSA. Love the 'After all this time...' section; lovely descending melody.

Not particularly bothered that it's not on MIC though. Where I Belong however really should've been on there. Easily their best song of the '80's.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2013, 11:47:26 AM »

I like it too. Best song on KTSA. Love the 'After all this time...' section; lovely descending melody.

Not particularly bothered that it's not on MIC though. Where I Belong however really should've been on there. Easily their best song of the '80's.
I am a big Carl Wilson fan, but I understand why neither song was included. Great singing, but mediocre compositions.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2013, 12:55:05 PM »

I am a big Carl Wilson fan, but I understand why neither song was included. Great singing, but mediocre compositions.

Ain't nothin' mediocre about Where I Belong - nothing.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2013, 01:15:09 PM »

Ain't nothin' mediocre about Where I Belong - nothing.
It's my opinion, is all. I can think that, and you can love it! It's all good.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2013, 02:09:39 PM »

1. Big Sur
2. My Solution
3. Thank Him
4. Drip Drop
5. In The Back of My Mind ’75

Also, All Day/All Night, Hawaiian Song, Out in the Country, Oh Lord, the “new” stuff from the Durrie acetates that just got auctioned off.

My real dream though is an entire box set release of just a cappella, backing track, and alt. mixes of any album tracks from ’63 to ’77. Oh my god, i would die.

Hey, maybe PLMW backing vocals will be a hidden track on one of the MiC discs.

Also, what’s "Good News" again?

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2013, 02:36:26 PM »

1. Big Sur
2. My Solution
3. Thank Him
4. Drip Drop
5. In The Back of My Mind ’75

Also, All Day/All Night, Hawaiian Song, Out in the Country, Oh Lord, the “new” stuff from the Durrie acetates that just got auctioned off.

My real dream though is an entire box set release of just a cappella, backing track, and alt. mixes of any album tracks from ’63 to ’77. Oh my god, i would die.

Hey, maybe PLMW backing vocals will be a hidden track on one of the MiC discs.

Also, what’s "Good News" again?

Hawaiian Song? Isn't that from the Smiley Smile period? Yep, sure would've liked to have seen that on the box. As with GV, Smiley Smile has again been relegated to a single-track afterthought, rather than what it actually is: one of the most original, unique and daring albums by a mainstream band ever released.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2013, 03:19:33 PM »

Hawaiian Song? Isn't that from the Smiley Smile period? Yep, sure would've liked to have seen that on the box. As with GV, Smiley Smile has again been relegated to a single-track afterthought, rather than what it actually is: one of the most original, unique and daring albums by a mainstream band ever released.

Well, we've got two tracks from Smiley Smile rather than one, but yes, I agree it is rather underrepresented. The problem is, of course, that so many of the tracks duplicate Smile tracks. Personally I'd have swapped out the Smile Wind Chimes for the Smiley one...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
carolinablonde
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2013, 06:16:13 PM »

I've heard it said on here that Carry Me Home was dropped from the final track-list because Brian found it too upsetting...

Is this just rumours or is it based in fact or what? It seems likely really, considering how Brian is on record as having been so affected by Dennis' death and what with the song containing lyrics such as 'I'm afraid to die'.

But it's a pity because it's a stunning song.

It's a shame, but at least "Carry Me Home" is fairly common in the hands of "collectors".  

Yeah, but the sound quality is garbage.

I heard they couldn't find a proper master for "Carry Me Home." Shame too, because I second (or third) everyone here who says it's a powerful piece of music. I first heard it on the "California Feeling" LP in the '80s and more than anything it convinced me Dennis was a first-rate talent. Who leaves something like that unreleased? I've read the quote where he talks about it (in the Byron Preiss book? Can't remember), saying it didn't fit with the Beach Boys. But it should have come out somewhere.

I agree with everyone else who wants "Big Sur" in 4/4 time,"Santa Ana Winds" (early version), "I'm Begging You Please."

But I have one request:

"All This is That" -- the early version. This version is spoken about at length in the Preiss book. It was Al's original draft of the song before Carl and Mike modified it by going in and recording a new melody on different tracks. You can hear Al's original vocal in spots "underneath" the first verse of the released version -- it's that vocal line that pops up now and again (I'm pretty sure that's not a backing vocal, that's an unused vocal line faded in and out). This might be worthy of a post itself. Has anyone ever noticed this but me? It goes like this:

"...into the pool of peace inside..."
Right channel original vocal line: "...travel..."
"two waves and I..."
Right channel original vocal line: "....make a difference to me..."

There's more to it than that, but if you know what to look for, it's easy to spot. I've been curious about this for a long time, so if anyone had noticed it I'd like to know...

The original  version had lyrics based on The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost, if not an exact reading of the poem.  That's where those ghost lines are coming from.

When "All This Is That" was introduced by Mike at the C50 concert in Raleigh, NC, Al added that he was inspired by The Road Not Taken - although he attributed it to Carl Sandburg, not Robert Frost.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx