gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680817 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:12:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Five Songs for MIC  (Read 19285 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2013, 03:39:15 PM »

Al had recorded an adaption of Robert Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken."  Carl and Mike then took it over and rewrote with more of a TM theme. Some Frost remains in the final song, and it's always interested me that more people don't notice. The whole "To waves and I / both travel by / And that makes all the difference to me" is a transparent gloss on Frost's: "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I / I took the one less traveled by / And that has made all the difference."

My guess is that Al's original chorus lyrics were somewhat rephrased from Frost. Like so: "Two ways, and I / took one less traveled by / And that made all the difference to me." Or something along those lines.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2013, 03:40:32 PM »

As for my five tracks to add:

"Life is for the Living"
"Everybody Wants to Live"
"Stevie"
"Oh Lord"
"Dancin' the Night Away" (with new Mike / BW overdubs as needed)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2013, 03:51:32 PM »

Al had recorded an adaption of Robert Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken."  Carl and Mike then took it over and rewrote with more of a TM theme. Some Frost remains in the final song, and it's always interested me that more people don't notice. The whole "To waves and I / both travel by / And that makes all the difference to me" is a transparent gloss on Frost's: "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I / I took the one less traveled by / And that has made all the difference."

My guess is that Al's original chorus lyrics were somewhat rephrased from Frost. Like so: "Two ways, and I / took one less traveled by / And that made all the difference to me." Or something along those lines.

Aye, have always been aware of the strong lyrical similarity between Frost's poem and the BBs' lyrics but never unable to discern the "hidden"/"buried" words the little I could catch didn't sound identical to neither the Frost nor the BBs' rewriting.

“We live in divisive times.”
superunison
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2013, 04:53:33 PM »

Just because I feel this is probably our last chance to get any of this stuff, I have to chime in... These are my picks for criminally excluded tracks...

1 - Thank Him - even if it was deemed to lo-fi, can't believe its not here
2 - Carry Me Home - just assumed it would be on here! have been dying to hear a high quality mix!!! (is it confirmed that a master could not be found?)
3 - Stevie
4 - I've Got A Friend (instrumental) - we're getting Transcendental Meditation and not this?!?!? Also would have preferred this over Mona Kana....
5 - Ecology - only from PongHit's mention of it.  Sounded very cool.... And I just can't get behind the mentality of "we have x amount of space designated for Dennis tracks, therefore we can't use everything although it is of higher quality than other included tracks"   Was really hoping for an all Dennis CD after POB's reissue... We'll most likely never get these after this.

Honorable Mentions:
* - Looking Down The Coast - would love a clean copy...
* - Santa Ana Winds (original)
* - Tricia - I know we're getting Sherry, but I'm still a sucker for this take on it....

Thats it really.... so I guess I can't really complain.... the unreleased stuff that IS on the boxset is actually really cool, but I just flat out assumed 1-3 would be on there!!!! And I could definitely live without:
Sail Plane Song (2012 Stereo Mix)
Brian’s Back (Alternate Mix) - really?Huh?!!!
and obviously a few others....

Also, I'm surprised by some people's disappointment about a few other tracks that have been left off.... the early version of Big Sur isn't great, the Holland version is wayyy better, and its out there in listenable quality. This goes for most of the Adult Child material as well, at least in my book.... I lovvve It's Trying To Say, but I'm not going to die if I can't hear it in better quality. And Walkin? Someone actually cares that we're not getting it? Its not that great! The tracks above realllllly should be out there for people to hear (me!!!).

Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2013, 05:14:18 PM »

"Honorable mention (because what good is making a list if you can't ignore the OP's original instructions...and instead cheat...lol)"

Sorry for cheatin', Ed. Couldn't resist!  Grin

That was actually my original quote, Mikie. I think (& hope!) Ed forgives us for our transgressions...lol.  Smiley

Dave, Smilin' Ed's a real cool head. A kind, caring, forgiving soul. Another refugee from the Cabinessence board, the bad guys know him and they leave him alone.   Smiley

Yep, I'm one of those old timer, PSML, newsgroup, Wheeler Board refugees myself.

I think we're about due for our Beach Boys pensions, eh?  LOL
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2013, 05:44:44 PM »

"Honorable mention (because what good is making a list if you can't ignore the OP's original instructions...and instead cheat...lol)"

That was actually my original quote, Mikie. I think (& hope!) Ed forgives us for our transgressions...lol.  Smiley

Dave, Smilin' Ed's a real cool head. A kind, caring, forgiving soul. Another refugee from the Cabinessence board, the bad guys know him and they leave him alone.   Smiley

Yep, I'm one of those old timer, PSML, newsgroup, Wheeler Board refugees myself.

Those are available?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2013, 09:36:28 PM »

Lines
Thank him
Big Sur
Everybody (although the version kickin' round is none too shabby)
The hypnotize me Van Sail on Sailor cassette recording  Razz

Was hopin' the alledged "Surfin' Susie" might turn up (although I'm unclear if it exists in any form beyond suggestion/rehersal/demo).  Been a bit fascinated by it since it's mention in the AGD tome.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2013, 09:46:21 PM »

Those are available?

Probably not -- considering I seem to be the one always writing the check!
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2013, 09:51:59 PM »

Just because I feel this is probably our last chance to get any of this stuff, I have to chime in... These are my picks for criminally excluded tracks...

Carry Me Home - just assumed it would be on here! have been dying to hear a high quality mix!!! (is it confirmed that a master could not be found?)

Because of the glaring omission of it and "We Got Love", I think it has more to do with the airbrushing of Ricky and Blondie from the group's history.  Yeah, they're on a good chunk of the live tracks but only Blondie is represented vocally on two tracks, both of which were written by Brian (and Mike).  "Hard Times" is one thing (as it was just written by Blondie and Ricky) but "It's A New Day" and "Carry Me Home" were both written by Dennis, while Mike had a hand in "We Got Love".  
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2013, 10:06:12 PM »

The unreleased studio stuff:

1. Big Sur(4/4 version)
2. Santa Ana Winds(early version)
3. My Solution
4. Go And Get That Girl
5. Stevie

The live stuff:

1. Rock And Roll Women
2. I'm Waiting For The Day(1975 version with Billy Hinsche singing)
3. Warmth Of The Sun(1975 version with Carl singing)
4. Feelin' Stronger Every Day
5. Wishing You Were Here
6. Take Good Care Of Your Feet(vintage 1970's "rock" version. Seattle 1975 for example)
7. You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone
8. I've Got A Friend

The "no hope in hell", purely fantasy list:

1. The "heroin tape"(1978 tour "discussion" that ends with Carl being punched)  Evil
2. The "Manson tapes".  Evil  Evil
3. Rollin' Up To Heaven
4. Oh Lord(full 7 minute version from the "cocaine tapes")
5. Why Don't You Tell Me("cocaine tapes")
6. Sail On Sailor demo tape
7. Battle Hymn Of The Republic  Grin
8. Hubba Hubba/Poops(early 1970's Dennis recordings)
9. Labor Day(last known studio recording of Dennis)

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2013, 10:12:17 PM »

Or at least a reunion.  Cheesy

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2013, 10:22:02 PM »

Sail On Sailor demo tape

Now that I would really like to hear!

BW - "Hypnotize me, Van Dyke,"
VDP -"Cut the sh*t, Brian, you're a songwriter. That's what you do. And I want you to sit down and write a song for me."
BW - "Hypnotize me, Van Dyke, and make me believe I'm not crazy, convince me I'm not crazy."
VDP - "Cut the sh*t, Brian, and play the tune."
BW - "What's the name of the tune?"
VDP - "Sail On Sailor."

I am a singer
A gospel singer
I sing for people
I sing for pleasure
Only a dreamer
Who came from nowhere
Sail on, sail on sailor!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2013, 11:29:48 PM »

It's really a shame if they never do anything with this song. The track is rockin' and Carl's part is great. I seriously hope that if the guys get together again that they polish this one off. Or even if Brian wants to finish it for a "solo" album, that'd be fine. I like it that much.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2013, 11:43:34 PM »

It's really a shame if they never do anything with this song. The track is rockin' and Carl's part is great. I seriously hope that if the guys get together again that they polish this one off. Or even if Brian wants to finish it for a "solo" album, that'd be fine. I like it that much.

One theory holds that he already has -- the groove of Dancin the Night Away is very similar to the groove of How Could We Still Be Dancin from GIOMH. We don't know the melody to the first song, so it's tough to say for sure, though.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2013, 01:11:55 AM »

Hard Times - forgot about that one... A great song. I think it would've been nice, respectful even, to have included at least one song penned by Ricky and Blondie. They played a big part in the group early '70's reputation resurrection.
petzounds29
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2013, 03:05:49 AM »

man those lyrics to Sail on Sailor are so great-Brian often mentions he doesn't like the lyrics to this song maybe someday scottie or Darin will help remind him of these lyrics and go from there-hint hint hint
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2013, 03:26:09 AM »

Thats it really.... so I guess I can't really complain.... the unreleased stuff that IS on the boxset is actually really cool, but I just flat out assumed 1-3 would be on there!!!! And I could definitely live without:

Could this be the version attempted by Brian himself during the original Light Album sessions? (or was it M.I.U.? can't remember...) If so, I'd love to hear it!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2013, 07:51:03 AM »

Could this be the version attempted by Brian himself during the original Light Album sessions? (or was it M.I.U.? can't remember...) If so, I'd love to hear it!

Whilst I think Sail Plane Song is good rather than great, and therefore not necessarily an essential inclusion, I'm just so relieved that it's not Loop De Loop - or even worse, Al's 'reimagining' of Loop De Loop from Endless Harmony - that I'm not going to complain about it being there...
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2013, 09:19:54 AM »

seeing one request for Cuddle Up 45 version, and wanting to test a site for possible long lasting uploads, I'm trying Chirbit. 
let me know if this works for everyone? 
there is some popping from the vinyl...  (probably need to clean better)

http://chirb.it/ybGHMz

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2013, 09:34:36 AM »

Thank You. Made my day.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2013, 09:38:21 AM »

Sail On Sailor demo tape

VDP -"Cut the sh*t, Brian, you're a songwriter. That's what you do. And I want you to sit down and write a song for me."
BW - "Hypnotize me, Van Dyke, and make me believe I'm not crazy, convince me I'm not crazy."
VDP - "Sail On Sailor."

I am a singer
A gospel singer
I sing for people
I sing for pleasure
Only a dreamer
Who came from nowhere
Sail on, sail on sailor!

YES!!! That would be awesome!! Were those the words sung on the tape???
Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2013, 09:57:51 AM »

All songs of Dennis Wilson

Sound of Free
Barbara
Forever
San Miguel
Carry Me Home
Behold the Night
Barnyard Blues

Beach Boys

Malibu Sunset
Skatetown USA
Desert Drive (Brain Wilson Solo)
I'm Going your Way (California Slide

I had a fast Life
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2013, 10:21:18 AM »

I just sent this to Bgas and will share it here.  Cuddle Up single needle drop in great quality!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/wh7gga

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2013, 11:36:32 AM »

Sail On Sailor demo tape

VDP - "Sail On Sailor."

I am a singer
A gospel singer
I sing for people
I sing for pleasure
Only a dreamer
Who came from nowhere
Sail on, sail on sailor!

YES!!! That would be awesome!! Were those the words sung on the tape???

No-one even knows if the tape exists (or if they do they're not telling). They're the words on the KGB version, which some people have said are the originals.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2013, 03:59:14 PM »

If the tape existed, it would have been released by now. My guess is it was destroyed or lost long ago, if it wasn't imaginary in the first place.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx