gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:07:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Five Songs for MIC  (Read 19239 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2013, 08:43:40 PM »

Well, either you're mistaken about what you heard or Al was mistaken about his poets.

"To waves and I both travel by......and that makes all the difference to me" has "Robert Frost written all over it. From the Carl & The Passions liners: "All This Is That - Mike Love sounds like he’s singing an inch from your ear in this stunning and ethereal production, which started with a song Alan had based on Robert Frost’s poem The Road Not Taken."  I also remember reading an interview with Al, who stated the lyrics to "All This Is That" were inspired by Robert Frost.

Or......if Al was talking about Carl Sandburg, maybe he was talking about one of the very early influences of the song "Sloop John B". The first three verses and chorus of "The John B. Sails" are in his collection of folksongs, The American Songbag.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:04:38 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Bill Ed
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2013, 09:31:48 PM »

Or......if Al was talking about Carl Sandburg, maybe he was talking about one of the very early influences of the song "Sloop John B". The first three verses and chorus of "The John B. Sails" are in his collection of folksongs, The American Songbag.

Could it have been "The Beaks of Eagles" which was influenced by Sandburg?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2013, 09:40:55 PM »

I believe "Beaks of Eagles" has the connection with poet Robinson Jeffers.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2013, 10:11:52 PM »

1 - Thank Him - even if it was deemed to lo-fi, can't believe its not here

I recall reading that a much higher gen tape had been discovered a few years back which makes its exclusion a little more odd. Derivative, but pretty.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Bill Ed
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2013, 10:25:10 PM »

Right you are! While downing my second Guinness I realized my error. Clearly poetry is not my strong point.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2013, 11:35:25 PM »

Hawaiian Song? Isn't that from the Smiley Smile period? Yep, sure would've liked to have seen that on the box. As with GV, Smiley Smile has again been relegated to a single-track afterthought, rather than what it actually is: one of the most original, unique and daring albums by a mainstream band ever released.

Well, we've got two tracks from Smiley Smile rather than one, but yes, I agree it is rather underrepresented. The problem is, of course, that so many of the tracks duplicate Smile tracks. Personally I'd have swapped out the Smile Wind Chimes for the Smiley one...

Yeah, well you could in fact argue that we have three Smiley Smile tracks if you also wanted to count Good Vibrations... But in terms of songs that were recorded specifically for and in the style of Smiley Smile I'd have liked to have seen a few more tracks. I absolutely adore the stripped back lo-fi style of Smiley and I think this aspect of it deserved to be represented a little more. It's loved by vast numbers of critics and fans (and celebrity fans), just not, it seems, by the group themselves.
Perhaps...

Wonderful
She's Goin' Bald
Wind Chimes (Fade Sessions)
Hawaiian Song

Although what we'd have lost to make room for that I can't really decide...
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 18, 2013, 01:23:08 AM »

Yeah, well you could in fact argue that we have three Smiley Smile tracks if you also wanted to count Good Vibrations... But in terms of songs that were recorded specifically for and in the style of Smiley Smile I'd have liked to have seen a few more tracks. I absolutely adore the stripped back lo-fi style of Smiley and I think this aspect of it deserved to be represented a little more. It's loved by vast numbers of critics and fans (and celebrity fans), just not, it seems, by the group themselves.

I definitely agree -- although at least we have the Lei'd tracks in that style...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2013, 10:32:45 AM »

Has "Hawaiian Song" ever been circulated?  Do we know that it is a standalone track and not something that became part of "Little Pad," for instance?

Back to the original question.  Choosing just 5 songs is (so) tough, so I split into: songs that may need additional recording (this is probably fantasyland at this point); previously unreleased but assumed complete; and live.

Completed versions of:
Can't Wait Too Long
Boys and Girls
Burlesque
Mona Kana with vocal (Steve Kalinich has said he still has the words and melody)
Oh Lord

Previously booted or likely complete:
Life Is for the Living
It's Trying to Say
Stevie
I'm Going Your Way
I'll Always Love You (Brad Elliott once said this was one of the best unreleased tracks in the vaults)

Live:
I've Got a Friend (I suspect there's no good recording of this or it would be on the box)
River Song
You Need a Mess of Help (nearly released 40 years ago, why not now?!)
Slip On Through
Surf's Up

...And any of these would be trumped by any significant Smile discoveries!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2013, 11:27:28 AM »

Right you are! While downing my second Guinness I realized my error. Clearly poetry is not my strong point.

Ah, Bill Ed, I'll bet you're a poet and don't know it!

OK, one more poem and I'm going home.....

carolinablonde
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2013, 05:10:07 PM »

Well, either you're mistaken about what you heard or Al was mistaken about his poets.

"To waves and I both travel by......and that makes all the difference to me" has "Robert Frost written all over it. From the Carl & The Passions liners: "All This Is That - Mike Love sounds like he’s singing an inch from your ear in this stunning and ethereal production, which started with a song Alan had based on Robert Frost’s poem The Road Not Taken."  I also remember reading an interview with Al, who stated the lyrics to "All This Is That" were inspired by Robert Frost.

Sorry for the confusion - during the concert, Al misattributed The Road Not Taken to Carl Sandburg. 
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2013, 05:20:01 PM »

Has "Hawaiian Song" ever been circulated?  Do we know that it is a standalone track and not something that became part of "Little Pad," for instance?

"Hawaiian Song" is the tracking session for a section of "Little Pad."
- Alan Boyd
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2013, 05:49:53 PM »

- Alan Boyd

OK, thanks for the clarification, Bubba!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2013, 01:43:24 PM »

- Alan Boyd

OK, thanks for the clarification, Bubba!

Would still love to hear it! There's no Little Pad sessions available at all that I'm aware of... Are there?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2013, 10:02:10 PM »

Back to the original question.  Choosing just 5 songs is (so) tough, so I split into: songs that may need additional recording (this is probably fantasyland at this point); previously unreleased but assumed complete; and live.

Completed versions of:
Can't Wait Too Long
Boys and Girls
Burlesque
Mona Kana with vocal (Steve Kalinich has said he still has the words and melody)
Oh Lord

Life Is for the Living
It's Trying to Say
Stevie
I'm Going Your Way
I'll Always Love You (Brad Elliott once said this was one of the best unreleased tracks in the vaults)

Live:
I've Got a Friend (I suspect there's no good recording of this or it would be on the box)
River Song
Slip On Through
Surf's Up

Andrew G Doe not to long ago confirmed that the band has a live recording of I've Got A Friend in the vault. Granted, he said they had a "copy", and he didn't say anything about the sound quality.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2013, 05:02:29 PM »

Has "Hawaiian Song" ever been circulated?  Do we know that it is a standalone track and not something that became part of "Little Pad," for instance?

Back to the original question.  Choosing just 5 songs is (so) tough, so I split into: songs that may need additional recording (this is probably fantasyland at this point); previously unreleased but assumed complete; and live.

Completed versions of:
Can't Wait Too Long
Boys and Girls
Burlesque
Oh Lord

Life Is for the Living
It's Trying to Say
Stevie
I'm Going Your Way

Live:
River Song
Slip On Through
Surf's Up

Andrew G Doe not to long ago confirmed that the band has a live recording of I've Got A Friend in the vault. Granted, he said they had a "copy", and he didn't say anything about the sound quality.

OK, so there's hope!  Thanks, Jay.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 05:04:47 PM by Les P » Logged
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 22, 2013, 03:58:06 PM »

It's been said before, but i'll say it again, It is difficult to choose just 5 songs, but i think i"ve narrowed it down.

"Life Is For The Living": Most likely my favorite "Adult/Child" song out there (with the possible exception of the original "Hey Little Tomboy").

"Out In The Country": The version with just Al and the Organ. Would make a great addition to anyone's collection.

"Big Sur (Acoustic Version)": The only song that i think should have been on the box itself. Why keep such a great version of this song locked up?

"Stevie": What a fun little slice of quirkiness from Brian Wilson. The fact that it's from the 80's (I think) is pretty cool to me.

"Michael Row The Boat Ashore": Not only is this a fascinating recording, but it's a darn fine one as well! I really dig it, man.

Live Stuff:

"How She Boogalooed It"
"You Need A Mess of Help to Stand Alone"
"Cuddle Up"
"Student Demonstration Time
"Here Comes The Night (Disco Version)"

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 22, 2013, 11:58:26 PM »

I'd be interested in hearing the unreleased song Sweetie, from 1981. A few years ago on another message board, Andrew Doe provided a few details of the recording. If I remember correctly, he mentioned that Brian, Al, and Mike trade verses.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 12:08:11 AM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx