gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:12:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fantasy future rarities releases.  (Read 6433 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2013, 11:27:45 PM »

OK we now know what vault material is going to be included on MIC (and what isn't) so I thought it would be cool to discuss
1; what unreleashed songs we'd like to have have on any future projects and,
2; the probability of what the band want to/can put out down the line.

A couple of the top of my head;

Michael Row the Boat Ashore. A really great track which I'd love to hear in proper clarity as the version I don't own suffers from a very wobbly sound which tends to fade in and out throughout.

Viggie. I'm rather suprised this still hasn't crept out. A Mike track from when he was still writing at a very high level. As it's about Mike's at the time girlfriend I wonder if he has similar feelings to the track as Al does towards Lady Lynda these days?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Nicko1234
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 11:31:12 PM »

Viggie. I'm rather suprised this still hasn't crept out. A Mike track from when he was still writing at a very high level. As it's about Mike's at the time girlfriend I wonder if he has similar feelings to the track as Al does towards Lady Lynda these days?

If Mike didn't want songs that he'd written about ex-girlfriends released then he would probably veto about 1000.  LOL

When the guys are all dead we will probably get a lot more rarities. After all, if Carl were still alive then Soulful Old Man Sunshine might still be unreleased.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 11:57:46 PM »

When the guys are all dead we will probably get a lot more rarities.

Oh, I can't wait for that! Evil

OK, that was mean and untrue.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 12:00:54 AM »

Only one from my wishlist (not counting WIBNTLA) made it to the new box, that being the live "Wild Honey".  I'm a big fan of 20/20 - In Concert but at this point think it's highly doubtful I'll get quality versions of stuff featuring Blondie and Ricky.  Still at the top of my wishlist are three featuring them"  "Hard Times", "We Got Love", and "It's A New Day".  Another song I'd LOVE to have in great condition is Billy's reading of "Honkin' Down The Highway".  I don't know what it is but his vocal honestly makes that song for me.  I never liked it from Al.  It just sounded to "gosh darn" hokey.  I sought out Billy's version as a neat oddity and couldn't believe the difference it made to me.  Obviously, I think there's even less of a chance we'll ever see that one escape the vaults.

As for stuff from the actual Beach Boys (no offense to Blondie & Ricky), these are but a few I crave:

Big Sur (original)
Jumpin' Jack Flash (live)
In The Back Of My Mind (70's version)
Chasing The Sky
Party outtakes
I Write The Songs (live) - It's a huge song from the Beach Boys' pen and should be celebrated
Here Comes The Night (1979 single edit)
River Song (live)
The 1974(?) Dick Clark New Year's performance
the entire Carnegie Hall Show(s)

...and Adult/Child

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 12:02:14 AM by Phoenix » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 12:18:37 AM »

Cassette demo of Sail On Sailor
45rpm version of Cuddle Up
Hawaiian Song
Live Dutch version of Surf's Up
San Miguel
Sea Cruise
Collected mixes/versions of Rock and Roll to The Rescue
Carnegie 72 and more from touring era… if fact give us the lot!!!
Adult Child
I've Got A Friend (live & track)
Carry Me Home
Wild Situation (hard version)
Paramount Show
Royal Albert Hall show

… rambling here, off the top of my head…

“We live in divisive times.”
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 01:07:26 AM »

What'd I Say
Surf's Up (live with orchestra early 70s)
original Big Sur

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 01:13:00 AM »

More unreleased stuff would be great, but what The Beach Boys need first and foremost is a 'Past Masters' CD set that collects every song they ever released that wasn't on any of the regular albums.

Say you're a completist who wants to own every song that The Beach Boys ever released. And say that you're old school and you prefer hardcopy discs over downloads. Than it's just insane how many different items you have to get besides the regular albums to complete your collection. And to make it worse: most of those items are long out of print. I'm pretty sure that there aren't a lot of artists (if any) who have a more messy odds & ends list than The Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 01:14:34 AM by shelter » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 01:56:53 AM »

Still a little surprised that there's been no Legacy (or similar) edition of Sunflower, given the number of available outtakes, alt versions and different mixes etc.  MAybe that's sommat else to look forward to ( and maybe this belongs in the fantasy tracklist thread…

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 05:14:15 AM »

Chicago 1965

Boxset of 1975-1978 material

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 05:24:15 AM »

Surf's Up 1971, vocals only, pleeeease!

celticsurfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 06:38:09 AM »

Paris 66 (there were other titles available on tape times ago)
in the midnight our
even steven (basic passing by?)
a french tv shows dvd : Montmartre 1964 interview (you tube) , Good Vibrations at Tilt magazine jan 67,Unicef gala dec 67 (you tube), Olympia 69 complete concert (you can load it on INA website for 3.99 Euros), Gaumont Palace concert and interview from dec 1970  aired in april 71 (you tube) and that special from dec 76 (interview of the Boys recording in automn 76 at LA + Excerpts from the famous ITs OK 76 TV show) (you tube) and at last an interview of Brian solo in sept 88 (promoting his first solo LP).
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 07:11:12 AM »

- (Thank you for) Our Love
- I've Got a Friend (Live and/or Studio)
- 10,000 years
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 07:14:09 AM »

There's really not a lot more out there I'd want out now. Original Big Sur and the remaining Adult Child tracks are probably the ones I'd really want as well as anything Sunflower that hasn't come out (I'm Going Your Way for example.)
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 08:51:11 AM »

The 93 Paramount show is number 1# on my list..Awesome show!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 08:52:40 AM »

Cassette demo of Sail On Sailor
45rpm version of Cuddle Up
Hawaiian Song
Live Dutch version of Surf's Up
San Miguel
Sea Cruise
Collected mixes/versions of Rock and Roll to The Rescue
Carnegie 72 and more from touring era… if fact give us the lot!!!
Adult Child
I've Got A Friend (live & track)
Carry Me Home
Wild Situation (hard version)
Paramount Show
Royal Albert Hall show

… rambling here, off the top of my head…

John's tracklist is also mine. Track for track.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 09:04:16 AM »

More unreleased stuff would be great, but what The Beach Boys need first and foremost is a 'Past Masters' CD set that collects every song they ever released that wasn't on any of the regular albums.

Agreed!

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 07:56:18 PM by Phoenix » Logged
Jason
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 09:26:28 AM »

I never want to say never, but other than the stuff listed above, beyond maybe more solo Dennis stuff and possibly the Wilson/Usher 1986-87 stuff...I don't see much more left that would be viable. And even this stuff listed above probably doesn't have much of a shot.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 09:57:44 AM »

I still hope to see the complete 'Life Suite' released, but these tracks would probably be considered "unfinished," as opposed to "unreleased," and would therefore fall outside of the scope of the discussion, for now.

Umm, I'd like to see a soundboard "Surf's Up" from the early 70s (and if any of these performances were multi-tracked, then, hey, all the better).

I'd really like to see how far the band got with "Oh, Lord" back during the '85 sessions.  Brian's earlier work with the song on the demo holds so much promise.  Am I correct that the version recorded in 1984 was instrumental only, or is there any info regarding vocal attempts being made?  I checked Bellagio, and what I read said ""Oh Lord" was reportedly attempted."  Has anything else been learned since this?

There are others, certainly, including any Smile material mixed by Brian in 1966/67, but these were the first to pop in my head.

Not to derail the thread, but just for fun , if we're to take the topic a step further, into the realm of "oh, so close" fantasy releases, then give me "Surf's Up" (Brian), featuring a newly discovered Part II, and a true stereo mix for "Good Vibrations."
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 01:34:53 PM »

Good thread! I'd love to see "On Broadway," "Go and Get That Girl," any unreleased DW stuff, and "Wild Honey" live with Carl on lead get released, also the BB part of the '70s Beachago show that's already had the Chicago part released.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 01:46:41 PM »

OK we now know what vault material is going to be included on MIC (and what isn't) so I thought it would be cool to discuss
1; what unreleashed songs we'd like to have have on any future projects and,
2; the probability of what the band want to/can put out down the line.

A couple of the top of my head;

Michael Row the Boat Ashore. A really great track which I'd love to hear in proper clarity as the version I don't own suffers from a very wobbly sound which tends to fade in and out throughout.

Viggie is one of the best songs Mike ever wrote. To me it is a tragedy that his two greatest solo compositions - Viggie and Grow Crescent Glow - remain in the vaults.

In fact, I'm very surprised that Mike is not represented more strongly on the later CDs on the box, and I say this as someone who isn't a huge Mike fan. I was certain All I Wanna Do would make it onto the box, likewise Big Sur. It's honestly made me re-evaluate the bloke. Guess he ain't pulling strings behind the scenes as much as we'd thought... Either that or he's just incredibly relaxed about some of his best work going unheard.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 04:26:57 PM »

I never want to say never, but other than the stuff listed above, beyond maybe more solo Dennis stuff and possibly the Wilson/Usher 1986-87 stuff...I don't see much more left that would be viable. And even this stuff listed above probably doesn't have much of a shot.

True there is plenty more stuff out there but I get the gut feeling that we may have hit the wall on what the band are willing to put out in the future. My dream future release would be a 70s/80s equivalent of the Hawthorne CA cd.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 04:34:07 PM »

Stuff that is never going to see the light of day no matter how much we may wish otherwise;

Rolling Up to Heaven - Shame really, Joe Walsh put out a song called "I Like Big Tits" once and it didn't do his career any harm.

Adult Child - Mike hated this stuff back when it was made and presumably he still does.

Carry Me Home - Understandably Brian doesn't want to hear his dead brother singing about dying anytime soon.

Nicko1234
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 04:38:13 PM »

Adult Child - Mike hated this stuff back when it was made and presumably he still does.

I know it's been said that Mike hated the big band songs but 2 of them have since been released anyway.

I haven't heard about him hating all of the other songs and as Hey Little Tomboy was included on M.I.U. I guess he didn't.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2013, 04:45:01 PM »

I know it's been said that Mike hated the big band songs but 2 of them have since been released anyway.

I haven't heard about him hating all of the other songs and as Hey Little Tomboy was included on M.I.U. I guess he didn't.

True, I meant the whole album getting a posthumous release as others have mentioned in the past. To be honest I find much of the record to be pretty crap and the hodgepodge mix of big band stuff with early 70's outtakes really don't sit well together. The best stuff has already been creamed off for past releases.

Nicko1234
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2013, 04:47:58 PM »

True, I meant the whole album getting a posthumous release as others have mentioned in the past. To be honest I find much of the record to be pretty crap and the hodgepodge mix of big band stuff with early 70's outtakes really don't sit well together. The best stuff has already been creamed off for past releases.

Oh, God yeah. I completely agree. There is no way this deserves to be released in full.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx