gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 10:39:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Touring Beach Boys: Getting an Autograph?  (Read 5223 times)
Underdog1
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2013, 02:39:49 PM »

Hey guys, Mike's Beach Boys are playing at Tatchi Indian Palace in Lemoore CA tonight.  I've seen variations of the group, Brian solo, etc over a dozen times, but never have tried to get an autograph.  I have a copy of "Looking back with Love" that I would like to see if Mike would sign for me.  Any suggestions on how to actually get an auto?  Thanks in advance.  Mark
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 02:48:56 PM »

Hey guys, Mike's Beach Boys are playing at Tatchi Indian Palace in Lemoore CA tonight.  I've seen variations of the group, Brian solo, etc over a dozen times, but never have tried to get an autograph.  I have a copy of "Looking back with Love" that I would like to see if Mike would sign for me.  Any suggestions on how to actually get an auto?  Thanks in advance.  Mark

Just wait outside the stage door after the show. Mike will usually sign pretty much anything, and if you don't see him come out you might catch one of the backing band members -- the band members I've met (which is all except Tim) are all extremely nice people, and I'm sure one of them would sort it out for you.

Don't wait for them before the show -- they're getting ready for work then, and are less likely to have time to chat and sign things.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Underdog1
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 02:50:37 PM »

Thank you!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 02:52:23 PM »

Oh, and one tip -- while *Mike* will usually sign stuff (and it's him you want to sign your album) don't take it personally if Bruce won't. Some days he can be the nicest man in the world to fans, and some days he can be fairly brusque and dismissive. It just depends what mood he's in, and it's nothing to do with you.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 04:09:14 PM »

Oh, and one tip -- while *Mike* will usually sign stuff (and it's him you want to sign your album) don't take it personally if Bruce won't. Some days he can be the nicest man in the world to fans, and some days he can be fairly brusque and dismissive. It just depends what mood he's in, and it's nothing to do with you.

Bingo.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 06:18:55 PM »

Tell me about it! But aren't we all? Good mood/less than good mood. Sure. But over the years that balance weighs heavily to one side. At this point I could care less. I've seen enough since 1968. Probably has little to do with mood and more attitude.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 06:26:48 PM »

Probably has little to do with mood and more attitude.

Right you are!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 07:46:22 PM »

Broothatude.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 07:51:01 PM »

Broothatude.

Grin
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 01:20:41 AM »

Tell me about it! But aren't we all? Good mood/less than good mood. Sure. But over the years that balance weighs heavily to one side. At this point I could care less. I've seen enough since 1968. Probably has little to do with mood and more attitude.

Could well be. Personally, I've never had a truly *bad* experience with Bruce -- I've met him four or five times, and the worst he's ever been with me is minimally polite but clearly wanting to be elsewhere, and at his best he's been very friendly. (Saying that, there was one occasion where he was *either* being horrendously rude or joking with a slightly odd sense of humour. I took it as the latter, and still do, but others might not). I've never had a problem with him myself, but I know others who have. Like I say, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, myself.

Wonder if the OP managed to get their autograph?

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 03:50:35 AM »

Could well be. Personally, I've never had a truly *bad* experience with Bruce -- I've met him four or five times, and the worst he's ever been with me is minimally polite but clearly wanting to be elsewhere, and at his best he's been very friendly. (Saying that, there was one occasion where he was *either* being horrendously rude or joking with a slightly odd sense of humour. I took it as the latter, and still do, but others might not). I've never had a problem with him myself, but I know others who have. Like I say, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, myself.

I'd love
To hear a personal story about encounters with Bruce or any other band member that didn't go so well.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 04:38:55 AM »

Dave in KC....you're up! Grin
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 06:22:21 AM »

I'd love
To hear a personal story about encounters with Bruce or any other band member that didn't go so well.

I posted about about my encounter with Bruce about a year ago, but the horror of it still lives with me today (ok, horror is an exaggeration, but still...). I was at the Meet and Greet at the first Mohegan Sun show. I won't hash over the whole "Meet and Greet" thing again, but let's just say that in my experience it was absolutely nothing of the sort. All it was was a chance to get your picture taken with the BBs. Which was very cool, but it wasn't a "meet" and "greet" and almost certainly not worth the s--tload of money that I paid for it (took my mom for mother's day...).

ANYWAY,  based on some discussions here at Smiley Smile, it sounded as though you COULD theoretically "meet and greet" with the BBs if you were wiley and/or aggressive enough (of which I am neither). So that was my mindset going in. By the time it was our turn to go up, the BBs weren't even paying attention. They were either talking to each other, or members of their entourage. So we walked in back of them, to take the photo, and I guess my mom was able to say one thing to Mike, who she was standing next to (although not really next to, more like behind and to the side). Something corny about how help me rhonda was the first record she ever bought. And mike replied, "you should tell Al!"

Anyway,  I was standing behind and to the side of Al. And I thought I'd compliment him on his solo album since folks around here were saying that he would respond positively to that. Thing was though that he was talking to Bruce and not paying any attention, so I basically had to say "Al" three or four times like an idiot to get his attention. Although I finally did and told him I liked the album. He replied with a very sincere thank you and asked me what my favorite song was, and all I could think to say is San Simeon (which is definitely not my favorite song on his album), to which he said something like, "oh yeah? that seems to be alot of people's favorite".

So then they take the picture and we're supposed to get out of the way at that point and move along. So as I'm moving past them out of the way, I'm thinking about how much money I spent, how it was a complete whirlwind, how I basically had zero interaction, how these are the Beach Boys and I'll never get this opportunity again etc... so I'm probably about 3 or 4 feet away from the group, when I decide to turn around and shake Bruce's hand since he was the closest one to me at that point. I reach out my hand and say "Bruce!" (like an idiot, but whatever...) and he looks at me with these ice cold eyes of death, extends his hand just barely like it's the last thing in the world that he wants to be doing, doesn't grasp my hand or really shake it, and just has this total demeanor and attitude of being disgusted by having to have anything to do with me.

It was F--KED UP, and just downright mean. And rude of course considering how much $$ I had plunked down for this. I was kind of shocked as I had always thought he seemed like such a nice guy. I really wasn't expecting his cold reaction and it put me in a really weird mood for the concert. But FORTUNATELY, the BBs were simply phenomenal, so it certainly didn't ruin the night. But it almost did!!

That's my Bruce story.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 02:43:09 PM »

I'd love

OK, here goes again. Summer of '85 here in KC. It was a Friday night and the band was due in town for a daytime concert on Saturday. I knew they had a concert in Wichita that night and would be flying in to our downtown airport after the show and it would be a quick flight. I had a seven and two year old, they were still awake, and we lived just 10 minutes away. I timed it perfectly as I saw their plane approaching the airport from the south. I just knew it had to be them; big plane, well not small anyway. We watched them land and get into several vans. We followed them into downtown and pulled up to the curb right in front of them at a near-by hotel. I rolled down the windows and said hi to Carl and he said hi back as he was carrying a jug of wine. All of them waved except for Bruce. He actually walked up to my car and lowered his head in and looked around and said, " I think it's irresponsible to be having kids out this late just to see the Beach Boys. I would never do that!" I was crestfallen, so was my wife and son. My daughter was too young to be knowing what was going on. Concert was very good the next day. End of story.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 02:46:32 PM »

I'd love

OK, here goes again. Summer of '85 here in KC. It was a Friday night and the band was due in town for a daytime concert on Saturday. I knew they had a concert in Wichita that night and would be flying in to our downtown airport after the show and it would be a quick flight. I had a seven and two year old, they were still awake, and we lived just 10 minutes away. I timed it perfectly as I saw their plane approaching the airport from the south. I just knew it had to be them; big plane, well not small anyway. We watched them land and get into several vans. We followed them into downtown and pulled up to the curb right in front of them at a near-by hotel. I rolled down the windows and said hi to Carl and he said hi back as he was carrying a jug of wine. All of them waved except for Bruce. He actually walked up to my car and lowered his head in and looked around and said, " I think it's irresponsible to be having kids out this late just to see the Beach Boys. I would never do that!" I was crestfallen, so was my wife and son. My daughter was too young to be knowing what was going on. Concert was very good the next day. End of story.
Bruce is such a square. LOL
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 06:32:38 PM »

Both of those are rough, I guess I don't feel as silly when Brian signed my PS live tshirt upside down

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 07:08:46 PM »

Well, I have a happy Bruce story! Grin

I posted the WHOLE meet-n-greet experience in the thread for the show at Merriweather Post Pavilion last year, but here's the meat of it with Bruce extracts...I made each beach boy a personalized card since I knew I wouldn't get to talk to them, BUT the "photographer" flipped out and took them all. However, this got me like a good solid minute to chat it up with the beach boys! Anyway, Al and Bruce kept saying that we had met before even tho we hadn't. Now, Bruce was the last to get his card since he was last in line of the photo, so he probably got to read more of his right there than any others, so I'm guessing that's why when we were walking away- HE pulled ME back, shook my hand, and said "Thank YOU!"...I was with my grandmother and she was almost gone but he shouted out to her "Thanks Mom!"...needless to say, it made her night. LOL
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 07:50:18 AM »

Okay, Underdog, how did it go?  Any luck?

Oh, and RubberSoul, I enjoyed your story.  The... 'less than ideal' encounters can be illuminating, but I wonder, any more nice stories with the guys anyone would care to share?
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 07:54:14 AM »

Okay, Underdog, how did it go?  Any luck?

Oh, and RubberSoul, I enjoyed your story.  The... 'less than ideal' encounters can be illuminating, but I wonder, any more nice stories with the guys anyone would care to share?

Underdog also posted his/her question on the BBB Board, and Bruce later said "Mike Love & I spontaneously went to the side of the stage after last night's concert and met fans & signed autographs." -- so s/he almost certainly got the autograph.

Like I said -- Bruce is far more likely to do nice stuff like that than to not. It's just that when he's having a bad day he's not very good at hiding it, I think...

Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 08:35:26 AM »

Cool!  Good for 'dog.   Smiley
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 05:54:20 AM »

I got the chance to meet the band last March. I live in Hong Kong, and they announced a show in Macau as part of their tour of Asia. To get to Macau, you have to take a ferry from Hong Kong.

So I was going with 2 other people, and we've gotten our ferry ticket and are coming into the pre-boarding waiting room. I look over, and Bruce Johnston is standing right in front of me. I went up to him and starting talking to him, and he was incredibly friendly. He seemed to enjoy talking to me, as I guess it was obvious I'm a serious fan. I talked to Bruce for about 5 minutes total. I talked to their road manager, Tim Bonhomme, and he gave me his phone number to call, as the Beach Boys were due to play the next day at the Rugby 7's, a pretty big event in Hong Kong. He told me to call him the next day, and that he would leave me passes to see them again the next day.

So I called the next day, and he left me FOUR backstage passes. Regular tickets get up to the $100+ range, and here are free passes to go anywhere in the Stadium. I also got to see them play again, and there were about 30 other people in front of the stage with me. The other 10,000 people in the stadium had to watch from their seats.
Talked to John after the show, who handed me his drumsticks. "Here, these are collectors items."

It was an amazing weekend. They're really nice people, and they put on a great show.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 06:27:01 AM »

I got the chance to meet the band last March. I live in Hong Kong, and they announced a show in Macau as part of their tour of Asia. To get to Macau, you have to take a ferry from Hong Kong.

So I was going with 2 other people, and we've gotten our ferry ticket and are coming into the pre-boarding waiting room. I look over, and Bruce Johnston is standing right in front of me. I went up to him and starting talking to him, and he was incredibly friendly. He seemed to enjoy talking to me, as I guess it was obvious I'm a serious fan. I talked to Bruce for about 5 minutes total. I talked to their road manager, Tim Bonhomme, and he gave me his phone number to call, as the Beach Boys were due to play the next day at the Rugby 7's, a pretty big event in Hong Kong. He told me to call him the next day, and that he would leave me passes to see them again the next day.

So I called the next day, and he left me FOUR backstage passes. Regular tickets get up to the $100+ range, and here are free passes to go anywhere in the Stadium. I also got to see them play again, and there were about 30 other people in front of the stage with me. The other 10,000 people in the stadium had to watch from their seats.
Talked to John after the show, who handed me his drumsticks. "Here, these are collectors items."

It was an amazing weekend. They're really nice people, and they put on a great show.

That's wonderful. Tim's the one member of either touring band I've never had the pleasure of meeting. Sounds like he's one of the nicer ones, too. But all of them are, really -- Bruce is the only one I've ever heard anyone have any problems with, and my experiences have been closer to yours. And Cowsill and Probyn, especially, are two of the nicest people I've ever met.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 07:12:14 AM »

That's wonderful. Tim's the one member of either touring band I've never had the pleasure of meeting. Sounds like he's one of the nicer ones, too. But all of them are, really -- Bruce is the only one I've ever heard anyone have any problems with, and my experiences have been closer to yours. And Cowsill and Probyn, especially, are two of the nicest people I've ever met.

I found it pretty amazing that he did it in such an offhand way, like it was what anyone would do.

What experiences have you had? There should be a thread for everyones personal Beach Boys story. Like the guy who you can hear yell on the live CD, or TimmyC.
Or does that already exist?

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 07:26:02 AM »

I found it pretty amazing that he did it in such an offhand way, like it was what anyone would do.

What experiences have you had? There should be a thread for everyones personal Beach Boys story. Like the guy who you can hear yell on the live CD, or TimmyC.
Or does that already exist?

Not had all that many, but probably my favourite experience with any of them was in 2008:
Before the gig, I sat outside the pub next door, sometimes chatting to old acquaintances from other gigs and fan events I've been to, but mostly listening to the soundcheck and reading and just enjoying myself. For a while I was talking to a homeless bloke I know - he was there to try to get money off the crowd so he could get a room for the night, but there weren't many people there yet, so he just sat next to me on the bench and we chatted. Every so often he'd get up and go and try to beg off a few people then come back and sit with me some more.

But then he got up and went over to someone I recognised as John Cowsill, who had walked out of the venue, talking to someone on his mobile phone and looking rather concerned. After his phone conversation he sat down alone, looking deep in thought. When my homeless friend went over to speak to him he seemed confused for a second, saying (I heard this bit) "Change? What? ... Oh, you mean like money?" and giving him a handful of change.

But my homeless acquaintance kept talking to him, and after a few minutes, thinking that people don't like to be bothered at work, I went up to him and said "Look mate, this bloke's in the band, he's at work right now and probably doesn't want to be disturbed."

Cowsill said "I'm in the band?!"
"Aren't you?"
"No..." (looking genuinely confused)
"Well, you look exactly like John Cowsill..."

He played around for a couple of seconds before admitting he was (he seemed at one and the same time to be enjoying joking with me and trying to work out how anyone would know who he was, as he's not the most famous person in the world). He then said "This guy's not bothering me, I live in California! I've been telling him to get as much as he can from the crowd tonight. Go out there and fill your fucking cup to overflowing twice over!"

He chatted with me for a short while, the usual stuff about if I'd seen the band before and so on, but then after I went back to the bench I was sitting on he talked with my homeless acquaintance for (I didn't have a watch so can't be precise) what seemed like *half an hour*. And when talking to me and to him, Cowsill seemed genuinely engaged and happy to be talking. You can't fake that kind of genuine niceness and interest in other people. I don't think anyone has impressed me quite as much in such a short space of time - he just seems like a genuinely lovely bloke.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx