-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:50:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The "your tax dollars support..." thread
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The "your tax dollars support..." thread  (Read 2585 times)
Jason
« on: June 12, 2013, 10:12:50 AM »

Your tax dollars support apartheid in Israel.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/limits-palestinians-living-israeli-spouses

Your tax dollars support psychopaths in the police force who brutalize women.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytUl2Ie4E8Y
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:28:35 AM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 11:43:40 AM »

This is shameful but what's your point?
Jason
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 11:59:59 AM »

No point, really. Just a way of showing people what the taxes they so kindly want to pay go towards supporting.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 12:11:38 PM »

Best overtime I ever put in.  I just hope he had a good time with my money -- and the bottled water was chilled.

I think we paid 20 million, just for his "Hawaii Vacation."  I've seen some totals in the billion plus-range, just for last year's vacations.

Shameless.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 12:20:38 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 12:17:48 PM »

Can't remember the exact total, but we spent 10s of Millions on studying how duck's mate.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 06:12:40 PM »

No point, really. Just a way of showing people what the taxes they so kindly want to pay go towards supporting.

They also go towards saving approximately 4 and a half million children's lives every year and that's a fraction of the lives that are saved by humanitarian aid.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 09:39:51 PM »

If this nonsense cost me personally even one thousandth of one cent or less I'd still feel like I and fellow American taxpayers who worked for their money then had to send it off to these folks with no accountability got f***ed royally by our government as these employees enjoyed hotel rooms which in some cases cost upwards of $3,500 per night. Paid for by...you guessed it...taxpayer money.

Someone justify this.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-06-06/politics/39774818_1_agency-house-committee-suites

IRS official says agency used poor judgment in holding lavish conference
By Lisa Rein,June 06, 2013

The Internal Revenue Service official who signed off on a $4.1 million California conference featuring parody videos, tax­payer-paid gifts and upgrades to lavish hotel suites apologized Thursday and said the agency used poor judgment.
“In hindsight, many of the expenses that were incurred should have been more closely scrutinized or not have been incurred at all,” Faris Fink, commissioner of the tax-collection agency’s small business and self-employed division, told a congressional committee.
Fink, a top deputy in the department that flew 2,600 managers to Anaheim, Calif., for three days in 2010, described a culture that did not blink at what the Treasury Department’s inspector general called excessive spending. But the 32-year employee — who was promoted the following year — said the IRS is “now in a very different environment.”
“We would not hold this same type of meeting today,” Fink told the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform.
The committee is investigating $49 million in conference spending by the agency from fiscal 2010 to 2012[/b], with a particular focus on Anaheim. Lawmakers disclosed an e-mail showing that two top managers placed on administrative leave this week took $1,162 in free food from an outside event planner, and took pains to hide the gift.
“It is to be kept confidential,” Jill Mirich, room service manager at the Anaheim Marriott, told her colleagues, referring to an after-hours party the managers held for 18 employees in their private suites.
“The beer and wine will be paid by a credit card given to you at the end of the function by Mr. Donald Toda or Fred Schindler,” Mirich wrote on Aug. 21, 2010. “Do not post to room it can’t be shown as room charge.” The last sentence is underlined for emphasis.
Acting IRS Commissioner Danny Werfel said Schindler, director of implementation oversight for the 2010 health-care reform law for the IRS, and Toda, a California-based manager in the small business and self-employed division, violated government ethics rules by accepting the food and other items. He said he is moving to fire them.
In an audit this week, Inspector General J. Russell George said the IRS paid top dollar for hotel rooms and spent tens of thousands of dollars for gifts and for 15 speakers, one of whom cost taxpayers $27,500 plus $2,500 for a first-class plane ticket. The report brought new scrutiny of an agency under fire for targeting certain conservative groups that were applying for tax-exempt status. A criminal investigation of those actions is underway and three top IRS officials have been fired, forced out or placed on leave.
When asked by committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), “What were you thinking?” when Fink stayed in a luxury suite and starred as Spock in a “slick Star Trek” video about a planet with ineffective auditing practices, Fink called the spoof “an attempt, in a well-intentioned way, to use humor to open the conference.”
“The fact of the matter is that they’re embarrassing. .. They’re embarrassing, and I regret the fact that they were made,” he said of that video and another featuring IRS managers in a line dance that closed the training event. For helping organize the conference, Fink and five other managers took home a total of $6,000 in bonuses.
Werfel, appointed by President Obama to clean house, told lawmakers that to regain taxpayers’ trust he must show that the IRS is impartial, cuts costs and does not make any personal tax information public.
“Each of these questions is solvable,” Werfel said. “I understand the enormity of the moment.”
Issa said the IRS was “effectively guilty of tax evasion” when it gave managers lodging in presidential suites, free meals and gifts without disclosing the perks as income.
While both parties denounced the spending, Democrats were quick to note that conferences at the IRS and other government agencies have dropped sharply in recent years.
Still, “it shows to me a culture of both arrogance and tin ear as to how might this look .?.?. on the front page of the morning paper,” said Rep. Gerald E. Connolly (D-Va.).
Rep. Elijah E. Cummings (Md.), the committee’s ranking Democrat, read another e-mail sent by an employee of the Anaheim Marriott to a colleague that showed the IRS could have booked the conference in Florida for $1 million less.
“Orlando and Las Vegas are out!” the e-mail began. “This is fantastic news, as Orlando was $1 million less in travel spend. The funding is there and they have been instructed to move forward [in Anaheim].”

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 11:03:50 PM »

Best overtime I ever put in.  I just hope he had a good time with my money -- and the bottled water was chilled.

I think we paid 20 million, just for his "Hawaii Vacation."  I've seen some totals in the billion plus-range, just for last year's vacations.

Shameless.

Not defending Obama, but don't forget all the Bush vacations we also paid for.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 06:47:47 AM »

Buzzz!  Let's set the record straight...

Every President is welcome to take vacation.  But it's the lavish, star-studded and extravagant nature that people have noticed with this elitist turkey.  Bush spent a lot of time at his ranch.  Not flying 400 people to 5 star hotels.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/03/26/Obamas-Vacation-More-Lavishly-than-Bushes

Lavish.  While Americans lose their jobs.  

Not too mention Bush actually WORKED and DID HIS JOB.  What's Obama do?  He doesn't attend the fcking security meetings!  That we know.  That's priority numero uno, if you're a serious Prez.  But he was NO WHERE TO BE FOUND while Benghazi was going on.  We still don't know where this azzhat was while our AMBASSADOR (and AMAZINGLY brave navy seals) where getting MURDERED.

And no one in the media is asking this elitist brat.

And where's Obama now?  He's cam-fkcing-paigning.  After that?  More campaigning!  Then probably vacation, followed up by some parties and ... (you guessed it)... VACATION.

This is reality.  Not politics.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 06:58:39 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 09:06:50 AM »

Buzzz!  Let's set the record straight...

Every President is welcome to take vacation.  But it's the lavish, star-studded and extravagant nature that people have noticed with this elitist turkey.  Bush spent a lot of time at his ranch.  Not flying 400 people to 5 star hotels.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/03/26/Obamas-Vacation-More-Lavishly-than-Bushes

Lavish.  While Americans lose their jobs.  

Not too mention Bush actually WORKED and DID HIS JOB.  What's Obama do?  He doesn't attend the fcking security meetings!  That we know.  That's priority numero uno, if you're a serious Prez.  But he was NO WHERE TO BE FOUND while Benghazi was going on.  We still don't know where this azzhat was while our AMBASSADOR (and AMAZINGLY brave navy seals) where getting MURDERED.

And no one in the media is asking this elitist brat.

And where's Obama now?  He's cam-fkcing-paigning.  After that?  More campaigning!  Then probably vacation, followed up by some parties and ... (you guessed it)... VACATION.

This is reality.  Not politics.

Well, stop complaining and run for office yourself so you can enjoy all the perks that come with it!!  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Eight years of following Bush and getting angry/depressed over just about everything he did, realizing Clinton was just as bad, Obama's continuation Bush's wars and policies, Congress being run by Republican assholes followed by the Dems being spineless wusses/Bush's lapdogs, the do-nothing Congress of the last 4 years, endless tales of corruption/corporate influence in politics, realizing it doesn't matter who the President is-that money and not ideology rules the day, etc. have made me numb to this kind of stuff. I consider it to be par for the course these days. Welcome to the modern Gilded Age, we've been living in it for most of my 27-year life.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: