-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:17:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Who's into running? Post your results here!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Who's into running? Post your results here!  (Read 30621 times)
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2013, 02:45:29 PM »

Three weeks ago picked up running because I want to be more fit. To keep me motivated (and maybe motivate some of you) I have created this thread where we can discuss running and post our results.

Here are my stats so far:

2013-06-10 //4,5 k - 20:35//

Tomorrow I will attempt to beat this time. Hopefully I will finish within 20 minutes. I might even attempt to run 10 k under 45 minutes.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 08:43:48 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 02:49:36 PM »

This is a great idea!

I was a track n field star and ran 10ks and the like for a few years out of high school but have since ceased all such activity.... The motivation for running has been tough because, being a short distance guy, I have little patience for long distance running, but such a thing as this will help!!
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 02:59:01 PM »

This is a great idea!

I was a track n field star and ran 10ks and the like for a few years out of high school but have since ceased all such activity.... The motivation for running has been tough because, being a short distance guy, I have little patience for long distance running, but such a thing as this will help!!

Great to have you on board! I downloaded an app for my Android phone called Endomondo http://www.endomondo.com/login. It's a GPS map kind of thing + a community with challenges people have created.

I need this app to keep running interesting. Smiley

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 03:04:15 PM »

Thank you!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 03:04:30 PM »

I ran.

Results: I ran so far away.

(Apology forthcoming)

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 03:13:55 PM »

I really want to make the top then here: http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/10368966

Not sure if I have what it takes though. Smiley

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 11:41:54 AM »

2013-06-12 //3,5 k - 15:29//

Did not run the entire 4.5 k today, gave up. Will run 4.5 k tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 12:24:47 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 12:23:29 PM »

I am so disappointed. Sad

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 07:05:19 AM »

Today I fared better. Improved my time by more than 1 minute despite chafed feet.

Swedish Frog happy.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 09:08:28 AM »

I'm running out of breath just reading this thread.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 11:07:47 AM »

I'm running out of breath just reading this thread.

You should start running too then.  Smiley

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 08:23:41 AM »

Today I fared better. Improved my time by more than 1 minute despite chafed feet.

What shoes and socks are you wearing? It really makes all the difference. I always play "shoe police" with my clients, especially ones that do a lot of high impact cardio like running.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 09:09:03 AM »

What shoes and socks are you wearing? It really makes all the difference. I always play "shoe police" with my clients, especially ones that do a lot of high impact cardio like running.

Hi, Amanda!

I wear Adidas Formotion shoes and soccer socks (the dark stain is blood). They look like this:

My foot:

What's your advice? Thanks! Smiley
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:15:40 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 10:12:43 AM »

Ah...classic Achilles rub. You'll get a callus back there soon enough. In the meantime, just put a bandage over it until it stop bleeding when you run. Then, once that's healed you can use something like Band-Aid Blister Blocker to help build the skin back up. You might also want to consider getting some different socks. Something with moisture-wicking properties like this: http://shop.toesox.com/sport-socks-c13.aspx will help keep friction to a minimum by keeping your feet dry.

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 10:46:44 AM »

Thank you, Amanda. If you are into running you should post your results here. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:31:03 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 02:23:03 PM »

Thank you, Amanda. If you are into running you should post your results here. Smiley

Honestly, I hate running. Because I teach so many group exercise classes now (10 Zumba, 3 Pilates and 2 Kettlebells) my cardio for my own workouts need to be lower impact. I use the rowing machine a lot, the most under utilized piece of equipment in the gym. Full body muscular endurance with absolutely no impact.

Here's a friendly piece of free personal training advise; if you're doing all this running, make sure you are stretching after! Maybe get a foam roller (the best $15 I ever spent), it's really good for keeping the muscles across the hip joint and the IT band loose. I see so many clients with wrecked hips because they never do any flexibility work after they run.

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 03:41:19 AM »

I never stretch these days, not since I stopped playing soccer in 2006. But I know I should. My brother (he is a floorball goalie and so am I) had IT band problems last year and he used a foam roller, it worked wonders. I use the rowing machine at my gym to end my work out sessions, but the problem is I go "all in" every time so I get exhausted and stop after about two minutes.

Another thing, I want to lose some weight (my BMI is currently at around 24). Should I stop eating pasta? I have replaced pasta with kidney beans. What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 05:02:18 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 09:05:56 AM »

I never stretch these days, not since I stopped playing soccer in 2006. But I know I should. My brother (he is a floorball goalie and so am I) had IT band problems last year and he used a foam roller, it worked wonders. I use the rowing machine at my gym to end my work out sessions, but the problem is I go "all in" every time so I get exhausted and stop after about two minutes.

Another thing, I want to lose some weight (my BMI is currently at around 24). Should I stop eating pasta? I have replaced pasta with kidney beans. What are your thoughts?

I went to a workshop with the Team USA Women's Rowing coach a few years ago, and I use the strategy he gave us when I row. Break it down into 5, 2 minute stages. First stage, row like you normally would, 2nd stage: stack one hand over the other right in the middle of the handle, the close grip forces you to use more lats and less biceps, so you're pulling from new glycogen stores and will have more energy. 3rd Stage: switch hands so your other hand is on top, 4th stage: row only with one hand and 5th stage: only with the other hand. For the average person that will take you to your lactate threshold, which is your body's maximum capacity for glucose metabolism, and statistically, training to your lactate threshold is the best way to train for anaerobic power. We could talk about the science behind that, but it's pretty complex. Anyway, that's why you get tired so quickly. 

Cut out pasta? Probably not completely necessary. What type do you eat? If it's processed, enriched pasta, you could do better. But if you're eating whole grains, it's alright to have some pasta every once in awhile. Beans are a great substitute though if you're trying to cut down.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 01:27:03 PM »

My heel has not healed yet, so I bought some new shoes - Asics GT-2000 - and ran 9 k today. The goal is to run 2 * 10 k tomorrow and 2 * 10 k on Sunday.

These are my new shoes, they are super comfy. And orange.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 01:39:24 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 02:39:25 AM »

One more 10 k down. Now only 3 to go (if I make it, which I doubt I will).

Here are my stats:

Update: I will not run tonight, got a blister under one of my toes.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 11:10:24 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 10:22:48 AM »

My latest results:

Felt better than normal today and so I was faster than normal. Smiley

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 11:58:22 AM »

Summary:

Lap times:

New record today:

« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 12:06:02 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 12:06:17 PM »

And another one:

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 10:08:25 AM »

Can't run anymore due to shin splints, but I cycle 10 miles a day. Love it.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2013, 02:20:56 PM »

Ran 17.8 k tonight. Did not record my time though, will do that next week. Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: