gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 02:20:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 103 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 441758 times)
MBE
« Reply #2425 on: July 30, 2013, 01:51:13 AM »

Sort of off-topic, but was there ever a Beach Boys' recording of "It's Like Heaven"? 
Ron if there is nothing is known about it. Spring did two versions and one was first released on the It's Like Heaven LP in 1987. Some of Brian's best seventies work is on the album yet it is overlooked today.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: July 30, 2013, 01:56:19 AM »

No fucking way. It was probably the link to the new version of California Feeling from MIC. Right?  Huh

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #2427 on: July 30, 2013, 01:59:29 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:52:36 PM by zatch » Logged
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: July 30, 2013, 02:07:31 AM »

Such a tease!
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: July 30, 2013, 02:37:22 AM »

Holy crap. Thanks, doinnothin!

What did I miss...

WHAT DID I MISS?

Link to WIBNTLA.
what...
WHAT...
WHAT?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

A discipline daddy.
MBE
« Reply #2430 on: July 30, 2013, 02:40:09 AM »

The WIBNTLA link was a joke post! You all really do want to hear this...well so do I as I only heard a short part over the phone ten years ago.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: July 30, 2013, 02:58:18 AM »

That was cruel - brutal, even Brow

LOL

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: July 30, 2013, 03:18:16 AM »

You know, WIBNTLA has taken on such mythic proportions that I'm almost afraid to listen to it.  LOL

Ted
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: July 30, 2013, 03:34:11 AM »

No fucking way. It was probably the link to the new version of California Feeling from MIC. Right?  Huh

Yep. Smiley
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: July 30, 2013, 04:21:02 AM »

Wow, I've only heard WIBNTLA a couple times, but I don't agree with the following at all:

"… There are moments that evoke The Beatles’ 'Penny Lane' … the song embarks on a Jethro Tull-like soundscape…"

Aw man, I was kind of looking forward to the idea of the Beach Boys going all progressive rock here.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: July 30, 2013, 11:24:35 AM »

Yep. Smiley
Sounds good. Although I liked Brian's and Al's solo versions as well. Can't wait for MiC.
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: August 01, 2013, 08:00:57 AM »

August!

Only a few weeks left Grin
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: August 01, 2013, 05:16:03 PM »

I'd ban myself, to avoid any misunderstandings.

Don't do it, John!

It seems to me that a number of people think the SSMB exists as their personal sounding board to start their comedic careers. They spend 90% of their time trying to come up with something clever, even if it contributes nothing (IMO) to the worth of the board.  Some folks (like you) are always making actual statements about the BB, rather than trying to show how funny they are... and often you DO add some humor, but it's not the sole purpose of your post.

Just my opinion...

To get back on topic, after 1 & 1/2 years of waiting, the "career-spanning boxed set" is almost here!   
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: August 01, 2013, 06:01:03 PM »

last time i attempted to make this thread, the real beach boy opened the thread, grew an angry face and said "WHOT???" and then promptly moved it to the sandbox where it died a miserable, miserable death (RIP rip in peace big brown bag thread).

however, i'd like to expand upon the intent of the original thread. i've been told by many people all across the internets that "vega-tables" is clearly about marijuana (because marijuana is a vegetable). i'd like to offer an alternative interpretation.

iim gonna be round my testicles

Brian wants to stay at home all day with his testicles out. Notice the double meaning: "around" is shortened to "'round" as a stylistic choice while testicles themselves are "round". Double meanings are typical of Van Dyke Park's writing at the time ("dude'll do" versus "doodle doo"), but, like Tony Asher on Pet Sounds, it is obvious to me that the message is Brian's while Van Dyke works more as a translator.

im gonna chow down my testicles

Brian wants to eat his testicles. I find this barbaric, but it shows how devoted to testicles and testicle culture he really is. On that note, I'm beginning to wonder if the inclusion of "Devoted To You" on the Party! album relates to this.

i love you most of all
my favorite testicle

Whether it's the left, the right or possibly a third testicle is left open to interpretation. This makes the song more universal in the sense that if he'd specifically written it as "I love you most of all, my left testicle", it would alienate people who prefer the right or other.

if you brought a big brown bag of em home
i'd jump up and down and hope you'd toss me a carrot

Brian also enjoys other testicles. Black man testicles, for instance. He does not discriminate.

i'm gonna keep well my testicles

Brian believes in good testicular health.

Also, I wanted to say that this guy from Castlevania II: Simon's Quest always looked like he had some kind of testicle pouch for a head:

Upon researching, he is known as the "Two-headed creature". I was unaware of this prior. The two heads move in such a way in the game as to represent testicles. This is a revelatory find, for me. For reference, here is the monster I have named "Testiclehead" a bunch more times:

cart off and sell my testicles

This line seems to indicate that Brian's testicles are (or were) fucking gigantic. He has to "cart" them around, possibly in a shopping cart or, on more formal occasions, a wheel barrow. This explains his depression around this time, as surely testicle love to this extent coupled with large, painful testicles would take its toll on one's well-being.

This may also change the meaning of the initial line "I'm gonna be 'round my testicles". Brian does want to enjoy the company of his testicles, but perhaps means literally sitting "around" them, with both sitting by his sides as he sits on the ground (or possibly using them like a flotation device or arm floaties in water. Imagining Brian sitting in a pool with a giant testicle on each side keeping him afloat is easy, by this point).

As for "selling" his testicles, I am unsure as to what this would imply. I doubt it alludes to prostitution given Mike Love never would have allowed for such filth to be used on a Beach Boys song. Brian may intend to rent them out for use as something like exercise balls (balls, get it, more double meanings). It may also imply that Brian literally sold his gigantic testicles, which would explain his normal appearance today in comparison to 1967 when he had gigantic, grotesque dual lumps in his pants.

i tried to kick the ball, but my tennie flew right off
i'm red as a beet cause i'm so embarrassed

Brian tried to kick himself in the testicles but failed. I'm honestly unsure as to why Brian would opt to harm his testicles after speaking of them so fondly, but this may relate to the previously mentioned depression.

chomp chomp chomp chomp

Brian follows through with his promise to eat his testicles. This conflicts with the prior statement of selling his testicles outright, thus meaning the latter explanation is not likely unless he later purchased the testicles back from the person he sold them to. Given his fondness of his testicles, this seems extremely likely.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 06:07:42 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: August 01, 2013, 06:07:54 PM »

What the f*** was that?

A discipline daddy.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2440 on: August 01, 2013, 06:13:32 PM »

If only you'd been around to explain Smile lyrics to Mike.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: August 01, 2013, 07:35:32 PM »

Yep. Smiley

WHAT WAS IT.

Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: August 01, 2013, 08:30:03 PM »

This is what MIC has come to: A huge missunderstanding and testicles.

By the way runners, I quite enjoyed your thoughts on testicles. Shame the sandbox thread died out. Long live your "big brown bag" (thread, of course).

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: August 01, 2013, 08:51:07 PM »

Yep. Smiley

WHAT WAS IT.

new version of California Feeling from MIC.

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: August 01, 2013, 09:25:57 PM »

I can't figure out if runnersdialzero is totally bat sh*t insane, or a genius.  Brow

Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: August 01, 2013, 09:40:08 PM »

the guy's smoked weed up the wazoo.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: August 01, 2013, 10:04:42 PM »

Never a good idea to smoke weed up your wazoo.

Not that I would know. But I imagine it can't feel too good.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: August 01, 2013, 10:25:38 PM »

yeah runnerz might've passed out in the basement.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: August 01, 2013, 10:26:56 PM »

Why isn't he being serious. I don't like it when people aren't serious.  Angry

Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: August 01, 2013, 10:27:27 PM »

Never a good idea to smoke weed up your wazoo.

Not that I would know. But I imagine it can't feel too good.
I did it once. It was really uncomfortable, but it was worth it.
Be sure to grease up your smoking apparatus.

A discipline daddy.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 103 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx