gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 10:41:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 441693 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: July 17, 2013, 03:20:14 PM »

Interesting facts -
Where is She was recorded during the 69 Sunflower Sessions
I Believe in Miracles was in 67 during Smiley Smile

That is incredible

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Nicko1234
« Reply #2001 on: July 17, 2013, 03:57:11 PM »

Could it be an A/C fragment? There are other like New England Waltz which are unreleased.

For MIU if AGD`s site is accurate (which it normally is). Recorded at the same time they were doing their Christmas stuff.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: July 17, 2013, 05:09:17 PM »

Sound quality is great. Not brickwalled at all. They sound crisp and clear as they should!
Boyd and Linnett did a really great job and should be proud for their work on this.

The Sail Plane Song 2012 mix has some new mixing stuff with crazy panned vocals and some explosion-y type sounds towards the end. It's definitely interesting.
It's a Beautiful Day sounds better than ever too.

67 Smile is the same as on the Smile Sessions box but cool it's included.

Interesting facts -
Where is She was recorded during the 69 Sunflower Sessions
I Believe in Miracles was in 67 during Smiley Smile
Why was 1977 for MIU

This is probably I'll post on this for now but like I said before, it's a must-buy set and fans will LOVE it.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 05:35:05 PM by Discipline Daddy » Logged

A discipline daddy.
Nicko1234
« Reply #2003 on: July 17, 2013, 05:30:20 PM »

Can you tell us any more about I Believe In Miracles?

I don`t know if you missed this comment, `Miracles sounds like a 20/20-era vocal snippet or something. It's like 20 seconds long and not part of anything I've heard before.`
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: July 17, 2013, 05:33:13 PM »

I guess I did.
Too caught up in the exciting news to notice, I guess.

A discipline daddy.
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: July 17, 2013, 07:33:33 PM »

MIC unboxing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCJVBZAlKkA
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: July 17, 2013, 08:05:23 PM »

I'm curious where the discs will fit inside the book.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: July 17, 2013, 10:33:34 PM »

There's a 1974 demo of Brian singing it (with weird vocal delivery and a gruff voice) but there's another with a younger sounding Brian singing the first verse then Carl coming in, then Bruce. It sounds amazing. Would've fit great on MIU!
That's confusing. Weren't we always told(or always thought) that the 1974 demo of California Feeling was the last known recording of Brian with his "young voice" fully intact? Adamghost once posted about a recording he heard that was almost an even 50/50 split between his younger voice, and the 15 Big Ones era voice, but he declined to post the name of the song.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #2008 on: July 17, 2013, 11:52:15 PM »

I'm surprised Rondemon's allowed to tell us all this stuff - dont these people get to listen to stuff like this early under some kind of confidenciality agreement or something? Anyway in the end i stopped reading his posts - it was like reading an article full of s :)poilers about a film i havent seen yet!
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: July 18, 2013, 12:28:06 AM »

"Why" instrumental is an absolutely beautiful track similar to "That's Why God..." or "Goin' On" in that 6/8 tempo feel.
How/why it doesn't have vocals is mindblowing. The track is awesome w/ tons of crazy Wilson-esque chord changes and maj7s. It's probably my favorite thing so far on the set.

Really excited to hear this. What do you think makes it good, the production or the composition? Would you say its comparable to other backing track highlights of the era such as "Had to Phone Ya" and "I'll Bet He's Nice"?

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: July 18, 2013, 12:36:53 AM »

Man, I must be the only Beach Boys fan in the world who doesn't like Had To Phone Ya.  Grin

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: July 18, 2013, 12:49:55 AM »

Man, I must be the only Beach Boys fan in the world who doesn't like Had To Phone Ya.  Grin
No you're not. :-)

Backing track is great, vocals ruin it for me.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: July 18, 2013, 12:52:51 AM »

I don't even really like the music.  Grin I never understood the connection between it and Trombone Dixie.

SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: July 18, 2013, 01:26:21 AM »

What about the live versions of Friends and Little Bird? I've heard that Dennis came to the front of the stage to sing Little Bird, but who would play the drums? (unless they changed the instrumentation for the live version)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: July 18, 2013, 01:57:33 AM »

What about the live versions of Friends and Little Bird? I've heard that Dennis came to the front of the stage to sing Little Bird, but who would play the drums? (unless they changed the instrumentation for the live version)

Carl drummed (or mimed the drums) on the live Never Learn Not To Love on TV, so I'd guess him -- however, didn't Kowalski tour with the band in 1968? Would he have been on the show where they did Little Bird?

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
zachrwolfe
« Reply #2015 on: July 18, 2013, 02:08:08 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:55:49 PM by zatch » Logged
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: July 18, 2013, 02:17:05 AM »

Carl drummed (or mimed the drums) on the live Never Learn Not To Love on TV, so I'd guess him -- however, didn't Kowalski tour with the band in 1968? Would he have been on the show where they did Little Bird?

Dennis came to the front to sing Friends as well, according to Eric's website.

Mike was definitely there in November/December, but they didn't play Little Bird and Friends in that period. The earliest known setlist from 1968 is the Lincoln show (July 13th, 1968). Here they did play Friends and Little Bird, but the only known backup member is Ernie Small. However, my best guess is that Mike was there also (and thus would play the drums during those two songs).
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: July 18, 2013, 02:48:37 AM »

No you're not. :-)

Backing track is great, vocals ruin it for me.

There's always the Honeys version.
obscurereference
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: July 18, 2013, 03:17:15 AM »

Does anyone have any idea (or would care to speculate) if the previously released tracks on the box set will be newly remastered where a recent remaster doesn't already exist?

I didn't buy 50 Big Ones, but were all the tracks on that newly remastered (for example, Sail On Sailor which wasn't included in the recent mono/stereo album reissues and doesn't appear in a new mix)? That might give us a clue as to what to expect on Made In California.

I'm just deciding whether I can use this as an extra justification for getting the box set!

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: July 18, 2013, 05:52:29 AM »

If they were new remasters, they would say so.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: July 18, 2013, 07:40:27 AM »

Many tracks seem to be labelled "2012 remaster" including some of the TSS tracks, if memory serves.  That would imply that some work has been done on some tracks since TSS appeared, at least.

“We live in divisive times.”
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: July 18, 2013, 08:21:01 AM »

I'm guessing that the the "2012 Mixes" are probably from the Smile Sessions box and the 50 Big Ones set.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: July 18, 2013, 08:23:55 AM »

RONDEMON, tell us more about both "California Feelin'" versions! I know you don't wanna say anymore, but is the vocal for Brian on the '78 version the same as the first verse on the demo?
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2023 on: July 18, 2013, 08:24:54 AM »

It would also be a real shame if you were to somehow give your brief take on that tasty live material. A real shame.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: July 18, 2013, 08:49:16 AM »

RONDEMON, tell us more about both "California Feelin'" versions! I know you don't wanna say anymore, but is the vocal for Brian on the '78 version the same as the first verse on the demo?

He already said they sounded different.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx