gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680756 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 03:45:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 440876 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: July 14, 2013, 08:44:26 PM »

Honestly, I think part of the reason the box set is so high is because Capitol is unsure of how large an audience this will reach. They're probably trying to make their money back from this and hoping to not take too much of a loss.

Also, to the comments about other priced box sets, another reason to explain the price is the packaging. For instance, Nilsson's box set isn't exactly elaborate. It's housed in a box with a CD case-sized booklet and 17 LP-replica sleeves. This box is, what appears to be, an intricate container that recreates a high school yearbook and also fits in six different CD's.
Nicko1234
« Reply #1926 on: July 14, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »

Honestly, I think part of the reason the box set is so high is because Capitol is unsure of how large an audience this will reach. They're probably trying to make their money back from this and hoping to not take too much of a loss.

Also, to the comments about other priced box sets, another reason to explain the price is the packaging. For instance, Nilsson's box set isn't exactly elaborate. It's housed in a box with a CD case-sized booklet and 17 LP-replica sleeves. This box is, what appears to be, an intricate container that recreates a high school yearbook and also fits in six different CD's.

Capitol are releasing this to make a profit. And it must have a very high mark-up.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: July 14, 2013, 11:00:33 PM »

Capitol are releasing this to make a profit. And it must have a very high mark-up.

That's what I'm saying the reason for the mark-up is: so they WILL make a profit. They're probably not too confident this will be a big-seller.
Nicko1234
« Reply #1928 on: July 14, 2013, 11:14:46 PM »

That's what I'm saying the reason for the mark-up is: so they WILL make a profit. They're probably not too confident this will be a big-seller.

I`m not sure why The Beach Boys should be a tougher sell than any other band when it comes to box sets though. Do The Beach Boys really sell fewer CDs than Showaddywaddy or Buffalo Springfield for example? I don`t think that is much of a reason to be honest.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: July 14, 2013, 11:20:03 PM »

I keep checking Amazon every day for sound clips.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: July 14, 2013, 11:25:13 PM »

I`m not sure why The Beach Boys should be a tougher sell than any other band when it comes to box sets though. Do The Beach Boys really sell fewer CDs than Showaddywaddy or Buffalo Springfield for example? I don`t think that is much of a reason to be honest.

Just as a sidenote, if the Amazon description is indeed correct, that Buffalo Springfield box appears to simply be a straight UK reissue of their 2001 4-CD box. That is, merely bringing it back into print over there. Hence, probably the reason for the budget price (w/ perhaps a stripping down of the packaging?).

PS - As most probably know, that set had its own share of "controversy" when the powers-that-be decided to use disc 4 to repeat many of the exact same tracks/mixes that occurred earlier in the box -- just so they could have the "first two albums play through in their entirety" on disc 4!

So, see, we Beach Boys fans really do have it good...lol!  Smiley
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: July 14, 2013, 11:54:33 PM »

I actually do think Buffalo Springfield was an easier sell. It had Neil Young and Stephen Stills's name on it.

But, usually, box sets are bought by the "hard core" fans. I would venture to say that Neil Young and Stephen Stills (thanks to C,S&N) have more of these fans.

The Beach Boys fan base is largely a casual one. They do have their rabid fans, but not a whole lot of them. I can't picture a casual Beach Boys fan buying six CD's worth of songs they've never heard of.
Nicko1234
« Reply #1932 on: July 15, 2013, 12:03:42 AM »

I actually do think Buffalo Springfield was an easier sell. It had Neil Young and Stephen Stills's name on it.

But, usually, box sets are bought by the "hard core" fans. I would venture to say that Neil Young and Stephen Stills (thanks to C,S&N) have more of these fans.

The Beach Boys fan base is largely a casual one. They do have their rabid fans, but not a whole lot of them. I can't picture a casual Beach Boys fan buying six CD's worth of songs they've never heard of.

I really don`t think this applies to The Beach Boys more than any other band though. Do Showaddywaddy really have more `hard core` fans than The Beach Boys?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: July 15, 2013, 12:03:43 AM »

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/thejohmarweb-21/detail/B00DRAS9BC

Now THIS is an obscure package. Only 2000 copies worldwide, cool packaging and many unreleased tracks. Disc for disc, though, it works out at half the price of the BBs set.

If I can sell a body part before release date I'll be buying both…

“We live in divisive times.”
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: July 15, 2013, 12:23:08 AM »

Do Showaddywaddy really have more `hard core` fans than The Beach Boys?

No, but that wasn't the point of my argument.

Besides, a box set for any band that boasts all studio recordings and only costs sixty dollars is much more enticing to the average listener or somebody looking to get into their music. If it was a large, 130 dollar box set filled with rarities or updated mixes of songs, not many people would spring for it...

We are a rare breed of fan, indeed.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 12:33:23 AM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1935 on: July 15, 2013, 12:45:16 AM »

We are a rare breed of fan, indeed.

Quite. And I do think a lot of the rows on here stem from the fact that Beach Boys fans in general are rather defensive people.

It comes from years of having to put up with "You like whatHuh? The Beach Boys. All they did was surfing sh*t"
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: July 15, 2013, 11:39:29 AM »

I keep checking Amazon every day for sound clips.  Grin

Amen to that.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1937 on: July 15, 2013, 12:25:19 PM »

I keep checking Amazon for sound clips.  Grin

I keep checking Amazon Germany every day waiting for MIC to show up at all!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Paulos
« Reply #1938 on: July 16, 2013, 03:21:34 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCJVBZAlKkA&feature=youtu.be
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: July 16, 2013, 03:31:13 PM »

Nice spot, Tex!

Blink and you'll miss it tho'!

Juice Bronston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: July 16, 2013, 03:32:20 PM »

Thanks, Mike, for this wonderful box set!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: July 16, 2013, 03:34:43 PM »

Cool find!
Wasn't really much of an unboxing, though. Wish they would have shown more, like how the discs are housed.  Undecided
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1942 on: July 16, 2013, 03:37:24 PM »

Many a true word spoken in jest...  Wink

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: July 16, 2013, 03:38:41 PM »

I'm a journalist and I received a watermarked stream and watermarked PDF of the booklet.
WOW. TONS of rare pictures. This is the boxset that should have came out years ago.

Going to check out the music later and I'll post some thoughts.
Please do not ask me to share as I literally CAN'T because there's a login, etc.

VERY excited to say the least. I can answer some questions probably tomorrow about particulars.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: July 16, 2013, 03:40:26 PM »

A tease! The books pages open only as far as, what, 63? And the soundtrack samples three "common" 60's tracks only… it's nae more than a tease!

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: July 16, 2013, 03:43:32 PM »

I'm a journalist and I received a watermarked stream and watermarked PDF of the booklet.
WOW. TONS of rare pictures. This is the boxset that should have came out years ago.

Please do not ask me to share as I literally CAN'T because there's a login, etc.

VERY excited to say the least. I can answer some questions probably tomorrow about particulars.

Surely you mean "should of came out…" LOL

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: July 16, 2013, 03:55:27 PM »

Awesome. Thanks in advance.
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: July 16, 2013, 04:08:08 PM »

Looking forward to the track times getting posted. Especially to see how long the alternate "Meant For You" is.

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
SIP Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin' To The Beach!

View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: July 16, 2013, 04:11:49 PM »

Agreed.

Music, after all, is all about lifting mood.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: July 16, 2013, 04:12:22 PM »

Some initial thoughts....
Holy smokes. SO much cool stuff.

This set is a massive treasure trove of unreleased stuff.
Alternate Meant for You is almost 2 mins long with a verse with lyrics about a pony (not kidding).
Where Is She is a Friends-style waltz with a Lucy in the Sky vibe w/ Brian's 68 voice. VERY cool song.
California Feelin' on Disc 4 (not the demo) is the link between old Brian and 70s. The arrangement is fantastic. It's so nice to hear this stuff in pristine shape.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx