gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681509 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 10:49:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 445495 times)
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: July 09, 2013, 07:56:22 PM »

Isn't It Time.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: July 09, 2013, 08:00:02 PM »

what do people think would potentially work as a single? 
I was thinking about that too. WIBTLA has some real history, and POB did sell very well when it was reissued. And considering TSS had a few singles, it seems likely this will too.

Why not released WIBNTLA as a single?

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: July 09, 2013, 08:31:23 PM »

Now that I listened to that mash up, I really do kinda like that backing track. Just a nice, punchy rock 'n roll thing. I used to have that on my "unreleased Beach Boys" playlist and I always liked hearing that one. Same with "Little Girl" that starts off with Carl singing  and then trailing off. If they had a reasonably finished version of that I wouldn't have minded if that made MIC. Oh well, maybe on another release. I gotta say though, I think "Little Girl" is much more convincing than "Sunshine". Sure, it sounds like Brian, Carl and Mike are having a ball singing "Sunshine", but the song's pretty weak. It's up there as one of the weakest Wilson/Love compositions. And I gotta ask, how is it a "Wilson" composition if the "dum-dum, dum bee dum bee doo" part comes from the Corsair's "Smokey Places" and the chords come from The Crystals "Little Boy"? Although honestly I don't hear how "Little Girl" is "Sunshine" at all. I know Bruce says they used the same track, but I don't hear it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: July 10, 2013, 01:11:37 AM »

I didn't know where to put this, but I figured here might be good. Somebody not to long ago posted that it seems like Mike has gone into the studio to create a "complete" version of Going To The Beach. I just remembered a scene from the KTSA documentary where the group is in the studio listening to a playback of Going To The Beach. If you listen carefully, you can hear Mike singing on the recording. My question is, what happened to this "original" version? If it has a vocal track already recorded, why not release that version instead of a new one?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: July 10, 2013, 01:18:15 AM »

I didn't know where to put this, but I figured here might be good. Somebody not to long ago posted that it seems like Mike has gone into the studio to create a "complete" version of Going To The Beach. I just remembered a scene from the KTSA documentary where the group is in the studio listening to a playback of Going To The Beach. If you listen carefully, you can hear Mike singing on the recording. My question is, what happened to this "original" version? If it has a vocal track already recorded, why not release that version instead of a new one?
I surmise Mike was just overseeing guitar overdubs by Scott Totten onto the original version.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: July 10, 2013, 01:24:07 AM »

I thought I remembered somebody posting a quote that seemed to indicate that Mike was recording a new vocal, or possibly even new lyrics. When I saw that picture of Mike and Scott Totten, I actually figured that maybe Scott was doing a guitar part for WIBNTLA, and Mike was just there to watch and give support or input.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: July 10, 2013, 01:46:21 AM »

So I don't know if anybody else has really talked about this, but "Goin' To The Beach" was peformed by the Mike and Bruce band recently, and it sounded pretty much exactly as I expected it to, which is kinda disappointing. It's pretty much a bare bones rock 'n roll tune with beachy lyrics by Mike. I'm not sure if Brian co-wrote it or not, but if he did, it's pretty much one of the simplest sounding things he's done. I'm glad to get any previously unreleased Beach Boys material at all, especially from the '60s or '70s, but I have to imagine there had to have been better outtakes from KTSA. How about "Boys And Girls"?  Or "I'll Always Love You"? Or Dennis' last studio drum performance on "Johnny B. Goode"?

Has the studio Johnny B. Goode ever been leaked? Sounds interesting.
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: July 10, 2013, 01:48:08 AM »

Also, for the Dutchies: Kroese-online has it priced at 99 euros. Release date: 16 August. That might be a mistake, but would be nice if true Wink
Heywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: July 10, 2013, 02:13:24 AM »

, I actually figured that maybe Scott was doing a guitar part for WIBNTLA, and Mike was just there to watch and give support or input.

Maybe Mike could write some new lyrics for it too! Wink
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: July 10, 2013, 02:16:45 AM »

I thought I remembered somebody posting a quote that seemed to indicate that Mike was recording a new vocal, or possibly even new lyrics. When I saw that picture of Mike and Scott Totten, I actually figured that maybe Scott was doing a guitar part for WIBNTLA, and Mike was just there to watch and give support or input.
Mike present and  Scott Totten  doing a guitar overdub for WIBNTLA? I'd sooner expect the sun to explode tomorrow but these are the Beach Boys.   Rock!

I just assumed it was an overdub for GTTB but it could also be an overdub for CD 5, Track 25.  All guesswork on my part.  I don't remember anyone saying what Mike and Scott were up to. They all could be screwing with us and secretly be making a new BB album.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 02:18:03 AM by Oregon River Rider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1860 on: July 10, 2013, 08:10:02 AM »

I just received this email from Amazon:

Hello,

We have good news! One of your pre-ordered items is now eligible for release date delivery and has been upgraded at no additional charge. Your new delivery estimate is:

The Beach Boys "Made In California"
    Estimated arrival date: August 27, 2013

Please visit Your Account (www.amazon.com/youraccount) for the most up-to-date delivery information about this order. If there are other items in your order, they'll be shipped according to the delivery estimates listed in the order details in Your Account at no additional cost.

Grin
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: July 10, 2013, 10:14:02 AM »

what do people think would potentially work as a single? 
I was thinking about that too. WIBTLA has some real history, and POB did sell very well when it was reissued. And considering TSS had a few singles, it seems likely this will too.

Why not released WIBNTLA as a single?

With "Carry Me Home" as the Bside!
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: July 10, 2013, 11:14:19 AM »

I think Big Sur (4/4) and (to a lesser extent) Out in The Country would work as good B-Sides. WIBNTLA would probably be the best A-Side. I like the idea of the B-Side not actually being on the box set. Keeps things interesting.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
Paulos
« Reply #1863 on: July 13, 2013, 02:01:58 AM »

You can see the back cover now on amazon:

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: July 13, 2013, 02:12:24 AM »

AHHHHH THAT IS AMAZING

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1865 on: July 13, 2013, 02:15:50 AM »

100% wrong on both counts. So that's 200% wrong.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: July 13, 2013, 05:18:39 AM »

Cool find Paulos. I really like the sun graphic.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: July 13, 2013, 05:43:44 AM »

Thanks, Paulos. Super!

Release Day can't come fast enough for me.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: July 13, 2013, 06:37:30 AM »

"Help You, Rhonda" on disc 6...Is that a typo or am I missing something?

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: July 13, 2013, 06:38:50 AM »

"Help You, Rhonda" on disc 6...Is that a typo or am I missing something?

That's how they actually sing it for that version.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: July 13, 2013, 07:58:52 AM »

What is "Barnyard Blues," again?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Ted
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: July 13, 2013, 09:21:06 AM »

What is "Barnyard Blues," again?

An early seventies Carl/Dennis song, I believe.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: July 13, 2013, 10:04:45 AM »

So I'm still kinda intrigued by why the 1967 version of "Surf's Up" is labeled as "previously unreleased". Seems odd that they'd do a new mix in 2012 for something that was released the year before. A new edit with different vocals perhaps? There was five takes on that reel where it was found, right?
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: July 13, 2013, 10:41:49 AM »

Love the back cover! Really looking forward to this release Smiley

I hope there will be hidden tracks again.
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: July 13, 2013, 10:53:48 AM »

Very cool to see the official back.  Thanks.  Darn, I was hoping Can't Wait Too Long a cappella was more complete, but it's probably the little snippet from Hawthorne.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx