gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 04:18:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 444469 times)
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: June 18, 2013, 12:27:05 PM »

Oh, don't you start...

Here they come!  All dissent must be immediately squashed.  We don't want Brian to see this!
LOL
I didn't quite mean that, but...

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Paulos
« Reply #1251 on: June 18, 2013, 12:29:12 PM »

Box is pre-orderable on Amazon UK right now. £100.40 . I'm assuming the price will come down at least a little before release though.

By at least 50% one would hope.

I'd hope so, but my guess is more like 20%. Since Sainsburys have it for £80.99, I'd guess at that as the price they'll end up with, give or take...

That seems reasonable to me. Standard price of a 12 track CD in the UK is around £12. We have 6 discs which range from having 25 to 34 tracks on them, plus a book and the packaging (which we haven't seen yet), tot all that up and a price of £80-£100 is about right to me.
Paulos
« Reply #1252 on: June 18, 2013, 12:32:14 PM »

That's a good point - I realised I don't know HOW many times I've bought Kokomo. So I've just counted. I've clearly been reasonably careful with my Beach Boys purchasing in the past, as it turns out MiC will give me only the third instance of the track in my collection (hitherto, I have it only on the GV Box, plus on one UK-only double-CD mid-90s hits comp, which was actually my first CD by the Boys and the one that kicked everything off!).

So I couldn't care less about buying it again. I'm good with it.

Barbara effing Ann, on the other hand... I haven't been so fleet of foot in avoiding that.

[counts]

This will be the fifth time. Five times too many.

MiC is still, in my opinion, worth it.

After some due deliberation I can pass my hat over to the faction supporting MiC.

What faction? There's just some guys here who are broadly enthusiastic about a tracklisting, and some that are less so. Even within those very rough groupings, people are disagreeing about what's good, better or worse about the content.

I don't see an 'us and them' situation here. I just see a spectrum of opinions, with myself more up the 'me likey' end than the 'tracklist rage' end. And if you feel you've moved more up the 'me likey' end in the last few days, that's nice for you. I hope you enjoy the set. And no, I'm *not* being sarcastic!

I have Kokomo 6 times by my count, although 2 of them are live. Actually its even more if you count tracks released on DVD's.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: June 18, 2013, 12:38:27 PM »

It's pretty amusing that we're going to spend over 100 bucks to buy Kokomo for the 60th time just to get a couple of unreleased tracks  LOL Realistically that's what we're doing

It's pretty amusing that you've bought Kokomo 59 times.   LOL

Me?  I don't own Sounds of Summer, or Warmth of the Sun, or 50 Big Ones, or any other of the greatest hits comps, except for the GV box, the Hallmark CD, and the Walmart 'zine pak.  So, WE aren't buying Kokomo or I Get Around or any other song for the 60th time.  I will be buying Kokomo for the 4th time, and yeah, MiC ain't cheap, but to ME, it's worth it, just to get all of the stuff that I don't have.  And this box has a lot of stuff that I don't have.

I hope you understand the difference between 'we' and 'me' now.   Wink  

I'll be buying Kokomo for the 18th time, and you won't hear me complaining about it. :D

Since Mike got to finish Goin to the Beach, Brian should have put some vocals on Kokomo - he was always upset that he didn't participate in the recording.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: June 18, 2013, 12:40:26 PM »

After some due deliberation I can pass my hat over to the faction supporting MiC.
It is a solid compilation, it seems to be a package of high quality with many new and unique cuts. I still agree with the dissent that Don't Go Near The Water [backing track] and Transcendental Meditation [instrumental track] were selected above other, highly anticipated and highly qualitative tracks, but I guess they didn't want to empty the bag right now. There remains more than enough unreleased material for future compilations and/or digital download. And I stay optimistic for that, even though it may yet take years.

Don't go Near the Water has never gotten the respect it deserves because of the lame lyric - I"m excited about having the backing track, tho it would be even better with the backing vocals.  I don't think the original should be on this collection but it does represent their "ecology" phase as pushed by Jack Reiley.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: June 18, 2013, 12:49:40 PM »

I've always liked "Don't Go Near the Water" for several reasons.  I like the way how opening Surf's Up it sort of answers "Cool, Cool Water" closing off Sunflower (I like to believe this was intentional).  I like Al's vocal on the bridge and I love the harmonies on the tag which despite having little to no involvement in the song sound like classic Brian Wilson harmonies.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: June 18, 2013, 01:11:11 PM »

Price is dumb. Its hardly gonna attract any casual fans. Look at this bundle - http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Baxb-4KTL._SY450_.jpg - couldn't wait to get my hands on all that goodness! think it started at £129.99?

some box sets I bought over the last few years

Big Star Box £39.99 (4 cds)
Pogues Box Set - £27.99 (5 cds)

Both were rarities collections

I dunno how this book ramps up the price so much.

The Smile box set is actually good comparison. It has five discs, but retails for $144 -- almost exactly the same as the six-disc U.S. MIC set. It was also marked down, in general, to a bit less than $100 at many places when it went on sale. I would expect much the same for this current set.

As for the Big Star and Pogues sets, they're really not proper comparisons. Each of them has been out for several years (five years for the Pogues, four years for Big Star), and much has changed over that time. I suspect they retailed for more when they went on sale and have been steadily marked down. Even if that wasn't the case, the music industry was a far different place a half-decade ago than it is now.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 01:57:57 PM by Wirestone » Logged
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: June 18, 2013, 02:23:47 PM »

It's pretty amusing that we're going to spend over 100 bucks to buy Kokomo for the 60th time just to get a couple of unreleased tracks  LOL Realistically that's what we're doing

It's pretty amusing that you've bought Kokomo 59 times.   LOL

Me?  I don't own Sounds of Summer, or Warmth of the Sun, or 50 Big Ones, or any other of the greatest hits comps, except for the GV box, the Hallmark CD, and the Walmart 'zine pak.  So, WE aren't buying Kokomo or I Get Around or any other song for the 60th time.  I will be buying Kokomo for the 4th time, and yeah, MiC ain't cheap, but to ME, it's worth it, just to get all of the stuff that I don't have.  And this box has a lot of stuff that I don't have.

I hope you understand the difference between 'we' and 'me' now.   Wink  

I'll be buying Kokomo for the 18th time, and you won't hear me complaining about it. :D

Since Mike got to finish Goin to the Beach, Brian should have put some vocals on Kokomo - he was always upset that he didn't participate in the recording.

He did, on the Spanish version  Grin
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:35:50 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: June 18, 2013, 02:41:09 PM »

I've always liked "Don't Go Near the Water" for several reasons.  I like the way how opening Surf's Up it sort of answers "Cool, Cool Water" closing off Sunflower (I like to believe this was intentional).  I like Al's vocal on the bridge and I love the harmonies on the tag which despite having little to no involvement in the song sound like classic Brian Wilson harmonies.

Agreed. I have always felt that the entire track had a very unique feel. The backing track ought to be revelatory.  Can't wait.  Grin
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: June 18, 2013, 02:49:56 PM »

Anyone else notice that Surf's Up 1967 is noted as a 2012 mix? What does that mean??? Is it another take? Same track different mix? Or just a typo?
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: June 18, 2013, 02:58:20 PM »

Anyone else notice that Surf's Up 1967 is noted as a 2012 mix? What does that mean??? Is it another take? Same track different mix? Or just a typo?

IIRC they found two different takes by Brian from the Wild Honey sessions. This might be that other take.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: June 18, 2013, 03:00:02 PM »

IIRC they found two different takes by Brian from the Wild Honey sessions. This might be that other take.

Actually I thought it was THREe runs-through that Alan and Mark found.

“We live in divisive times.”
Nicko1234
« Reply #1262 on: June 18, 2013, 03:16:43 PM »

That seems reasonable to me. Standard price of a 12 track CD in the UK is around £12. We have 6 discs which range from having 25 to 34 tracks on them, plus a book and the packaging (which we haven't seen yet), tot all that up and a price of £80-£100 is about right to me.

I don't think most CDs are £12 but compilation albums (which this obviously is) contain far more tracks anyway.

If this box is intended to appeal to casual fans as some have suggested then I don't think any in their right minds would buy this for that price. For £80 they could afford to get every studio album from Surfin Safari through to Love You and Sounds of Summer and The Warmth of the Sun as well. No contest surely.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:21:35 PM by Nicko1234 » Logged
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: June 18, 2013, 03:16:52 PM »

Actually I thought it was THREe runs-through that Alan and Mark found.

No joke...I thought it was four  LOL
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1264 on: June 18, 2013, 03:44:34 PM »

Price is dumb. Its hardly gonna attract any casual fans. Look at this bundle - http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Baxb-4KTL._SY450_.jpg - couldn't wait to get my hands on all that goodness! think it started at £129.99?

some box sets I bought over the last few years

Big Star Box £39.99 (4 cds)
Pogues Box Set - £27.99 (5 cds)

Both were rarities collections

I dunno how this book ramps up the price so much.

The Smile box set is actually good comparison. It has five discs, but retails for $144 -- almost exactly the same as the six-disc U.S. MIC set. It was also marked down, in general, to a bit less than $100 at many places when it went on sale. I would expect much the same for this current set.

As for the Big Star and Pogues sets, they're really not proper comparisons. Each of them has been out for several years (five years for the Pogues, four years for Big Star), and much has changed over that time. I suspect they retailed for more when they went on sale and have been steadily marked down. Even if that wasn't the case, the music industry was a far different place a half-decade ago than it is now.

but the Smile set had two lps and two seven inches which certainly cost more to produce than cds plus it had posters and a great box (which maybe MIC will too?). I take your point about Big Star and the Pogues but I did pay around 40 for the Big Star set and about the same for the  Pogues however the Big Star set had a really nice book with it while the pogues one was nice but a bit less impressive.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: June 18, 2013, 04:03:11 PM »

The price sucks bigtime. Universal/Capitol may want to reconsider the price: Many people here (your slightly more hardcore fans) expressed interest in downloading the tracks they wanted from itunes. I'm certainly not buying this set at the current price (even anything over $100 is pushing it for me).

TSS came with a book, double vinyl, two 45s, five CDs, a 3D cover, a poster. This is six CDs and a book - and the price is nearly double what I payed for TSS. It's such a shame they're going to screw this much money out of loyal fans.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: June 18, 2013, 04:05:42 PM »

Good points rab, the SMiLE Box was worth every cent with great packaging and goodies inside. MIC, not so much for its price tag.....  
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 04:10:33 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: June 18, 2013, 04:17:25 PM »

Good the SMiLE Box was worth every cent with great packaging and goodies inside. MIC, not so much for its price tag.....  

I got TSS within hours of it being put on Amazon - so I got the half-off deal....but I'd have been happy to pay $145 considering all the goodies that it came with. I feel like I'm getting ripped off with this MIC pricetag.

And I know a lot of work went into making MIC (so I do feel bad about bitching about the price) but money is tight and I feel weird spending $145 for 6 CDs and a book.

*I do know you can get it cheaper elsewhere, but Capitol is shooting themselves in the foot by making the price so high on the most popular online store.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 04:22:22 PM by rab2591 » Logged

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: June 18, 2013, 04:28:10 PM »

*I do know you can get it cheaper elsewhere, but Capitol is shooting themselves in the foot by making the price so high on the most popular online store.

They're not the ones who set Amazon's prices. Amazon are.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: June 18, 2013, 04:31:49 PM »

How many people who bought TSS actually played the vinyl? As someone who is not set up with turntables, I might as well have been buying four pieces of black plastic. Always felt a little ripped off by that myself ...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1270 on: June 18, 2013, 04:38:12 PM »

Nice overview from spincds.com. My apologies if it's already been posted.

Made in California (6CD Box)

by The Beach Boys

One small problem with this - he's patently not heard a note of the actual set but wrote that from the trackliating and a passing knowledge with maybe a few forums. Thus, except for total newbies, this 'overview' is entirely pointless. "YLTLF", btw, is NOT a 15BO outtake, so how knowledgeable the dood is, is open to question.

Yeah, shame on him. You'd think he'd realize that the set is geared mainly to the casual fan, containing all the hits and deep cuts with some rarities. Oh wait, he does.

Geez AGD, you've done almost nothing in this thread but chastise people who aren't happy with the set. Now, someone writes a glowing article and you run them down. Guess some people just love to bask in misery.

All I can say is Fake Beard  LOL

Nope, he didn't write a glowing article - he just looked at the tracklist, and the press release, and regurgitated what he saw there: no insight, nothing to make you think. Rank bad journalism.

As for the chastising, sure, I think these people are ungrateful reprobates. Here's my advice for them - you don't like the lineup, or think it's too expensive, don't buy it. There - fixed that for you. Oh, I also take issue with some of the unfounded assumptions regarding the inclusion/exclusion of certain tracks that have attained semi-official status here. Going on past releases, I think the band are being credited with far more direct involvement than is actually the case. Think about that.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: June 18, 2013, 04:38:33 PM »

They're not the ones who set Amazon's prices. Amazon are.

D'oh. True indeed. Regardless, Capitol shot themselves in the foot by making the price that high, imo.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: June 18, 2013, 05:00:14 PM »

Looking over the picture on Amazon, I'm really impressed with the design of the CDs - each disc has it's own personality fitting with a certain time period. If that's any indication of how awesome the yearbook will be, I can't wait to see what's inside.

I hope a promo video comes out soon, like they did with TSS.

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: June 18, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »

TSS is a whole 'nother beast... the legend of legends... this is what people have been creaming over for years and years. This was not buying the same 25 tunes over again... sure, I know someone who has a whole bunch of SMiLE boots... but to hear these tracks as only a proper release could provide was worth my $$- I bought the whole dang box and would do it again if I was rich. I don't play the vinyl, I've made my own mixes. I have big issues with the H&V mix. HOWEVER, when that late night buzz hits me on occasion and I feel the need to break out the vinyl it is almost a religious experience- NOTHING beats that sound quality. Packaging and all I am so pleased with this set- Why they missed parts of CIFOTM and put Teeter Totter on there is beyond me, but I forgive them for that- I have hopes for future SMiLE releases including stereo SMiLE and other lost and found items (I'm a believer).

MIC is a welcome collection of music, but not at that high price... I think it is hard to compare it to TSS.
RonBaker2003
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: June 18, 2013, 06:38:14 PM »

Actually, I played the vinyl first...starting with the two 45s.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx