gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 03:20:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 444450 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: June 17, 2013, 11:08:31 AM »

We get The Smile Sessions version of "Wonderful" instead of the Smiley Smile version included on this CD.

Actually, it's the Smiley Smile version on the box, too.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: June 17, 2013, 11:11:07 AM »

I'd pay 55 bux

So "we" aren't paying a lot of money, because you're not buying it, and wouldn't pay a lot of money for it if you were.

for the 2 discs (or 1.678 discs, or 2.14567 discs -- whatever it is) that we're getting.  

Six.

The rest is 50 Big Ones.  Deal with it.

Ah, I see, you're now in fantasy land where you saying something magically makes it true, so 120 tracks becomes fifty because you say it is, six becomes two because you say it is, and you refusing to buy something becomes you spending a lot of money on it. So long as we're completely clear.

Cretin.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Jason
« Reply #1127 on: June 17, 2013, 11:12:56 AM »

Andrew, Da Doo Ron Ron and Why Don't They Let Us Fall In Love are also completely previously unreleased. But they WERE booted at one point!

Pretty sure they've never seen the light of day until now, hence why Andrew's post specifically highlighted songs that were "entirely previously unreleased"...

My bootleg collection disagrees with your analysis.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: June 17, 2013, 11:15:28 AM »

It's essentially the guy from Swingers who leaves a tongue tied vm on a girl's machine, then calls back to try to explain himself, but keeps making it worse and worse with every message.

Really bud, you're better off just backing away and cutting your losses.
No, it's like the guy who's says...
"man, I don't know.  I've got most of these tracks..."

And then someone, hops the counter and says...
"WTF!!?? You're getting 60-80 tracks!!!??  You're not a fan - you're a jerk!!!"

And then I go...
"back off... it's 145 bux, rock star!!"

LOL

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: June 17, 2013, 11:15:58 AM »

Andrew, Da Doo Ron Ron and Why Don't They Let Us Fall In Love are also completely previously unreleased. But they WERE booted at one point!

Pretty sure they've never seen the light of day until now, hence why Andrew's post specifically highlighted songs that were "entirely previously unreleased"...

My bootleg collection disagrees with your analysis.

Both songs can be found here: http://beachyard.blogspot.se/2012/05/beach-boys-get-boot-vol-2.html

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Nicko1234
« Reply #1130 on: June 17, 2013, 11:16:09 AM »

Complaining now -- loudly and repeatedly, so that any discussion of the box becomes dominated by people shrieking about how ripped-off they feel about something they're not buying anyway -- is just annoying.

Why keep responding then? This is a genuine comment so I hope you won't take it the wrong way but there seems to have been at least as much space taken up on this board with people shrieking, 'you shouldn't be calling it a rip-off' as there has been with people of the opposite opinion.

Why not just ignore them and focus on the box.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: June 17, 2013, 11:16:21 AM »

Ah, I see, you're now in fantasy land where you saying something magically makes it true,

Welcome to the world of Bean Bag.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: June 17, 2013, 11:16:45 AM »

I'd pay 55 bux

So "we" aren't paying a lot of money, because you're not buying it, and wouldn't pay a lot of money for it if you were.

for the 2 discs (or 1.678 discs, or 2.14567 discs -- whatever it is) that we're getting.  

Six.

Ah, I see, you're now in fantasy land where you saying something magically makes it true, so 120 tracks becomes fifty because you say it is, six becomes two because you say it is, and you refusing to buy something becomes you spending a lot of money on it. So long as we're completely clear.

Cretin.

See what I mean Jeff?  hops the counter...

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: June 17, 2013, 11:19:21 AM »

It's essentially the guy from Swingers who leaves a tongue tied vm on a girl's machine, then calls back to try to explain himself, but keeps making it worse and worse with every message.

Really bud, you're better off just backing away and cutting your losses.
No, it's like the guy who's says...
"man, I don't know.  I've got most of these tracks..."

And then someone, hops the counter and says...
"WTF!!?? You're getting 60-80 tracks!!!??  You're not a fan - you're a jerk!!!"

And then I go...
"back off... it's 145 bux, rock star!!"

LOL
I have the Top 40 stuff six times over, maybe more between LPs, CDs, Cassettes, and even 8-Tracks. Who out of all us fanatics haven't bought this stuff over and over again? Come on, it is what we do. Why should buying MIC be any different?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:22:42 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: June 17, 2013, 11:20:50 AM »

Complaining now -- loudly and repeatedly, so that any discussion of the box becomes dominated by people shrieking about how ripped-off they feel about something they're not buying anyway -- is just annoying.

Why keep responding then? This is a genuine comment so I hope you won't take it the wrong way but there seems to have been at least as much space taken up on this board with people shrieking, 'you shouldn't be calling it a rip-off' as there has been with people of the opposite opinion.

Why not just ignore them and focus on the box.

I'm trying, at the moment, to ignore them except when they make egregious misstatements of fact.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: June 17, 2013, 11:21:52 AM »

I'd pay 55 bux

Six.

Cretin.

See what I mean Jeff?  hops the counter...
If you tell someone to "deal with it", of course folks are going to come back at you.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: June 17, 2013, 11:22:46 AM »

Even assuming that the remastering adds nothing to the sound quality whatsoever, and that the packaging is worthless, that's still about $1.43 per track, assuming the $120 price that seems to be common in the US...

Which is still far more expensive than the average CD.  Wink

I don't know about the cost of "the average CD" in the US, but I just had a look at the number one CD on Amazon US, the new Black Sabbath one, and that works out at $1.53 per track, so it can't be that far out of line for a new release...

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #1137 on: June 17, 2013, 11:24:50 AM »

Fair enough.  Courtesy of AGD, I counted 48 of the 50 tracks found on 50 Big Ones are included in MIC.  I think that was part of my point.

Nothing of the sort - your actual words were "but 2/3 of it is 50 Big Ones", which is, demonstrably, utter and complete nonsense, not to mention piss-poor math on your part. 48 out of 174 is just over 27.5% - some considerable way short of 66.67%.
Nope, you're wrong.  What I said was far more correct than that.  It wasn't complete and utter nonsense.  Wanna know why?

I meant "50 Big Ones" in terms of "type of content" -- greatest hits -- not the literal tracklist of 50 Big Ones.  YET.. the fact that nearly 30% of this is ACTUALLY 50 Big Ones, is more than I thought.

Piss-poor my azz.

You are pushing it on your explanation. I doubt anyone took what you posted the same way as your explanation. I know that I surely didn't. Either way, no big whoop. Smiley
2/3 of this is [just like] 50 Big Ones... was my point.

Obviously it couldn't be 2/3 verbatim.  50 Big Ones is only 2 discs.  This is 6.  I thought that would have been obvious.  However, the fact that 1/3 of MIC is actually 50 Big Ones verbatim is more than I even thought.

For the Math Police -- Yes, I know... it's reeeeallly only 48 of 50 Big Ones.  Roll Eyes

So... for the Math nazis...
$145 - $25 (50 Big Ones) = $120 for a 4 disc box set.  That's the point.  I know the price may go down -- but that's still crazy to me.  Had I bought 50 Big Ones (and I almost did on several occasions) I'd be angry.

I couldn't care less about all of this what percentage of what was released when etc. However, could everyone please stop saying math. It is maths. There's an 's' on the end. Thank.
Nicko1234
« Reply #1138 on: June 17, 2013, 11:25:08 AM »

I have the Top 40 stuff six times over, maybe more between LPs, CDs, Cassettes, and even 8-Tracks. Who out of all us fanatics bought this stuff over and over again? Come on, it is what we do. Why should buying MIC be any different?

Personally I think there can be a difference between fans and collectors though. I consider myself a fan but I only buy Beach Boys CDs if I think I am going to get my money's worth listening to the songs. There are others of course who buy everything even if they have every second of music because they have to collect. They are Capitol's wet dream as they can include a 'collectors book' which costs a few $ to produce and add another $50 to the RRP.  Smiley
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: June 17, 2013, 11:27:36 AM »

I genuinely think that the cries of 'rip-off' from one or two board members are fair enough if that's how people feel.

Not, though, when it's coming from people who'd been saying for months how much they were looking forward to the box set. We've known for a long time what kind of thing this would be, and complaining when it was first announced would make reasonable sense -- I quite possibly did myself (I can't be bothered to look back and check, but I'm not exactly keen on rebuying stuff I've already got either).

Why can't you just let us all complain about what is OBVIOUSLY patently absurd - i.e. the constant repetition of the same songs over and over again that Capitol knows a large majority of the fans will buy no matter what just to get the few morsels they've thrown out? I don't care if that's what they said they were delivering all along. It's still WHACK. As detailed on AGD's site, there are an INSANE amount of unreleased tracks. THAT'S what they should have released, not the same exact songs over and over.  

And if you're seriously annoyed by us people who think the Box Set is a missed opportunity at best/rip off at worst, then I think all perspective has been lost. We're just talking about the Beach Boys here. We're not about anything serious (although i seriously love the BBs). With all due respect (and I mean all due respect) you need to chill man!  Grin It's not any fun if you're going to get pissed at us just because we disagree.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: June 17, 2013, 11:28:30 AM »

I couldn't care less about all of this what percentage of what was released when etc. However, could everyone please stop saying math. It is maths. There's an 's' on the end. Thank.

Not for USians it isn't.

Nicko1234
« Reply #1141 on: June 17, 2013, 11:29:16 AM »

I don't know about the cost of "the average CD" in the US, but I just had a look at the number one CD on Amazon US, the new Black Sabbath one, and that works out at $1.53 per track, so it can't be that far out of line for a new release...

$10 for a new album which will have around 12 tracks I guess.
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: June 17, 2013, 11:32:10 AM »

I have the Top 40 stuff six times over, maybe more between LPs, CDs, Cassettes, and even 8-Tracks. Who out of all us fanatics bought this stuff over and over again? Come on, it is what we do. Why should buying MIC be any different?

Personally I think there can be a difference between fans and collectors though. I consider myself a fan but I only buy Beach Boys CDs if I think I am going to get my money's worth listening to the songs. There are others of course who buy everything even if they have every second of music because they have to collect. They are Capitol's wet dream as they can include a 'collectors book' which costs a few $ to produce and add another $50 to the RRP.  Smiley

WORD. That's a great distinction. I'm a DIE HARD fan - maybe even slightly psycho in my passion for my the BBs. hahaha But I'm definitely NOT a collector. I like to get the mainstream packages because I like to support the BBs financially and it's cool to have some of it. But I really don't care, for instance, about mono this and stereo that. I certainly prefer stereo, but I really don't care one way or the other....
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: June 17, 2013, 11:33:23 AM »

Why can't you just let us all complain about what is OBVIOUSLY patently absurd - i.e. the constant repetition of the same songs over and over again that Capitol knows a large majority of the fans will buy no matter what just to get the few morsels they've thrown out? I don't care if that's what they said they were delivering all along. It's still WHACK.

As you may have noticed, nobody's actually stopping you from complaining.

As detailed on AGD's site, there are an INSANE amount of unreleased tracks. THAT'S what they should have released, not the same exact songs over and over.  

And the vast majority of those unreleased tracks are unreleased for a reason.

And if you're seriously annoyed by us people who think the Box Set is a missed opportunity at best/rip off at worst, then I think all perspective has been lost. We're just talking about the Beach Boys here. We're not about anything serious (although i seriously love the BBs). With all due respect (and I mean all due respect) you need to chill man!  Grin It's not any fun if you're going to get pissed at us just because we disagree.

I'm not annoyed at disagreement. What *is* annoying is constant, repeated, false claims, like that two thirds of the box is Fifty Big Ones. Less annoying, but still irritating, is the way that nobody complained about this when we had no other information at all, but now rather than talk about all the new information we have a large group of people seem determined to just go on and on about something that might not be ideal but that we've known for eighteen months. But I've given up on the hope that anyone will ever see sense on that one...

TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: June 17, 2013, 11:35:15 AM »

Why can't you just let us all complain about what is OBVIOUSLY patently absurd - i.e. the constant repetition of the same songs over and over again that Capitol knows a large majority of the fans will buy no matter what just to get the few morsels they've thrown out? I don't care if that's what they said they were delivering all along. It's still WHACK.

As you may have noticed, nobody's actually stopping you from complaining.

As detailed on AGD's site, there are an INSANE amount of unreleased tracks. THAT'S what they should have released, not the same exact songs over and over.  

I'm not annoyed at disagreement. What *is* annoying is constant, repeated, false claims, like that two thirds of the box is Fifty Big Ones. Less annoying, but still irritating, is the way that nobody complained about this when we had no other information at all, but now rather than talk about all the new information we have a large group of people seem determined to just go on and on about something that might not be ideal but that we've known for eighteen months. But I've given up on the hope that anyone will ever see sense on that one...

In all honesty, what might make the most sense is to have a separate thread to bitch about MIC.... but I'm not going to start it. Smiley
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: June 17, 2013, 11:39:31 AM »

Yeah, but in that case, do you accept the argument that questions the point of view that Goin' To The Beach and Don't Go Near the Water (instrumental) are more releasable than Carry Me Home and We Got Love?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: June 17, 2013, 11:39:53 AM »

I am not a Collector in the strictest sense. I buy it because I am a fan and I am willing to re-buy the old to get the new. I am a fan and their music makes me happy. I feel I do what I can to keep the guys in Millionaire status. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: June 17, 2013, 11:41:12 AM »

I don't care to get into such a nasty bickering war with any fellow fans on fan-related subjects.  It's silly.  I was just responding to AGDs post a few pages back (where I left off, last week -- I don't live on the board) about how stupid my 50 Big Ones analogy was.  I thought it was a great analogy used to prove my point.  I didn't mean it was literally 50 big ones -- ( though I got a laugh when I learned that 50 big ones was literally on it).

As for the thread... I don't think it's a bad place to moan about it.  The track-list was just announced.  They'll be countless threads discussing the box, probably track-specific threads when the thing gets released.  I understand it's annoying to hear things you don't want to hear.

GVs was 5 discs and a lot cheaper.  And when that came out, I didn't have 3 or 4 versions of all the albums -- or a stack of comps with 2 or 3 new mixes, etc. etc.  This also annoying.  

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #1148 on: June 17, 2013, 11:42:07 AM »

Not for USians it isn't.

Hey it's called English for a reason you know... Us limeys have been around speaking it for longer. Do the maths.  Smiley
Nicko1234
« Reply #1149 on: June 17, 2013, 11:45:12 AM »

I presume that the track list will be the same all around the world which makes the exclusion of Then I Kissed her pretty bizarre to me. If you are going to sell a career retrospective then surely a song that as a top ten hit and a concert staple should be included.

That goes for Lady Lynda as well. If Al vetoed it then someone should have sat him down and said, 'Dennis doinked her. Deal with it.'
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx