gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:23:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 437871 times)
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #975 on: June 15, 2013, 09:24:25 AM »

Well, we're almost up to page 40, and I feel like it's time to put in my 2 cents about this release.  I've read a good portion of this thread over the past few days and seen all kinds of feelings being shared (sorry for the therapy terminology!  Grin)

I've expected all along that we would see Kokomo, GV, California Girls, Help Me Rhonda, etc. for the millionth time.  Cap's been doing it all along; why change now?  So I'd already excepted that and no amount of griping is ever going to change it.  So basically, I'm ok with that.  

As far as the 'rarities', remixes, etc, I'm for the most part pleasantly surprised.  Ok, I can hardly contain myself!  I'm not worried about what's been left off because I didn't set up any expectations for myself as to what we might see.  This set really appeals to me, mainly because my favorite era of BBs is late 60s & early 70s, which is very well represented here.   Country Air, We're Together Again, and Do It Again in clean official stereo mixes!  This is huge!  HUGE!!!  

I do have a few minor grumbles, but it's not the end of the world.  I was hoping that they would take another stab at Let the Wind Blow, but I suppose the organ track still remains MIA.  Nobody's fault there.  At least they could have eased up on the reverb.  

I was hoping they would have found more pieces to Old Man River, so we could have a complete track of it.  I suppose the best we can do on that is splice together the two previously released sections (which I did years ago).  

It looks like cd 3 is going to be my go-to (along with the latter half of 2).  Lots of good stuff there, and I like the sequencing.  Looks like I can probably not worry about whether or not we will see a remastered 20/20!

sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #976 on: June 15, 2013, 09:26:42 AM »

112 bucks, Paulos? You can't beat that with a stick. I'm sure the MIC box will do the same when the dust settles. I remember some people complained when the Smile box was released and opted to get the 2-CD set instead. Those that did that missed out.

I can't see complaining about the price. You got no choice. Just don't go out for a couple of weeks. Don't eat. Cut back on the brewski's and steaks for a little while. It's worth the sacrifice. It's a given to buy this thing, especially to a collector and fan who has to have everything and then some.

In US $ its only $110! I'm not going to suggest that people starve themselves or stop smoking, drinking etc but there is a clear choice here - sustenance and vices versus MADE IN CALIFORNIA!!!!!!

Clear choice, IMO:  Stop smoking, drinking, and go on a diet....get MIC and you'll live longer!  Evil
Paulos
« Reply #977 on: June 15, 2013, 09:28:37 AM »

112 bucks, Paulos? You can't beat that with a stick. I'm sure the MIC box will do the same when the dust settles. I remember some people complained when the Smile box was released and opted to get the 2-CD set instead. Those that did that missed out.

I can't see complaining about the price. You got no choice. Just don't go out for a couple of weeks. Don't eat. Cut back on the brewski's and steaks for a little while. It's worth the sacrifice. It's a given to buy this thing, especially to a collector and fan who has to have everything and then some.

In US $ its only $110! I'm not going to suggest that people starve themselves or stop smoking, drinking etc but there is a clear choice here - sustenance and vices versus MADE IN CALIFORNIA!!!!!!

Clear choice, IMO:  Stop smoking, drinking, and go on a diet....get MIC and you'll live longer!  Evil

That's the spirit!
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #978 on: June 15, 2013, 09:34:33 AM »

That's the spirit!

You realize I'm being a smartass, right?  I would have a tough time giving up my cigars, booze, and pizza!
Paulos
« Reply #979 on: June 15, 2013, 09:37:50 AM »

That's the spirit!

You realize I'm being a smartass, right?  I would have a tough time giving up my cigars, booze, and pizza!

Just think though, it's 10 weeks till MiC is released, if you quit cigs, booze and pizza between now and then you'll have saved money and improved your health AND you'll have MiC! Its a win, win, win situation.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #980 on: June 15, 2013, 09:44:04 AM »

Obviously I'm not proclaiming to predict the future, but I can picture (wish) the BB's camp/Capitol releasing yet another summer hits package in the next couple of years with Carry Me Home on it being the marketed selling point for us, (The hardcore demographic).

Since Capitol doesn't adhere to chronological order on BB greatest hits packages, I suspect the casual fan will get quite a shock when they hear "Carry Me Home" sandwiched between "Fun, Fun, Fun" and "Surfin' U.S.A."  Cheesy

I know "Sounds of Summer" went triple platinum, and "TWOTS" went Top 40, but does anyone know how well "Summer Love Songs," "50 Big Ones," and "Greatest Hits" have sold?  With so many GH packages in print, one would think there would be diminishing returns at this point, but I have to assume each one sells enough to justify its release.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: June 15, 2013, 09:52:22 AM »

That's the spirit!

Cigar, Booze, Pizza and the MIC box set. Sounds like the American dream.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: June 15, 2013, 09:55:12 AM »

Some people genuinely don't have the money, especially with the world economy the way it's been for the past few years. I've been *EXTREMELY* lucky in that all the fiftieth anniversary stuff coincided with my finances being OK for the first time in my life, but had everything happened three or four years ago I couldn't have gone to any of the shows or bought this box, and I know other people who can't afford them now.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #983 on: June 15, 2013, 10:00:06 AM »

Has anybody else noticed that on brianwilson.com they have Fun Fun Fun listed as a stereo single mix?  That's a typo, correct?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: June 15, 2013, 10:10:48 AM »

Some people genuinely don't have the money, especially with the world economy the way it's been for the past few years. I've been *EXTREMELY* lucky in that all the fiftieth anniversary stuff coincided with my finances being OK for the first time in my life, but had everything happened three or four years ago I couldn't have gone to any of the shows or bought this box, and I know other people who can't afford them now.

I know. I've been there. I'll have to shuffle a couple of bills myself to get this in August. As usual, I'm planning on giving my business to a brick & mortar store in my area, which is where I buy all the new releases. Pay a few bucks more, but I like to think I'm doing my part to help them stay open - I'm sure they're being clobbered by the Amazon's of the world.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #985 on: June 15, 2013, 10:37:40 AM »

I think you've left something out!

I know. I've been there. I'll have to shuffle a couple of bills myself to get this in August. As usual, I'm planning on giving my business to a brick & mortar store in my area, which is where I buy all the new releases. Pay a few bucks more, but I like to think I'm doing my part to help them stay open - I'm sure they're being clobbered by the Amazon's of the world.
As an employee of the only mom-and-pop in my area (for miles and miles around, at that), I salute you.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #986 on: June 15, 2013, 12:04:08 PM »

Yes, you have a right to be critical, but not about the "Career Spanning" aspect of the box.
Why not? Just because something has been announced over a year ago doesn't mean you can't still think it's not the right way to go.

These mixed hits/rarity type releases have been done over the past 20 years.
I know, but why do The Beach Boys have to keep doing it? They did it with the GV box, they did it with several compilations that each had one or two unreleased tracks or a few new stereo mixes (from the top of my head: Ten Years of Harmony, Classics Selected by BW, the Sunkist LP, Made in USA, the Capitol 2fers, Sounds Of Summer, Warmth Of The Sun, Summer Love Songs, the Zinepack, the singles box) and now they're doing it again... In hindsight it's surprising that TWGMTR ever came out, because it's almost like The Beach Boys have some kind of phobia for releasing anything that doesn't have Good Vibrations, I Get Around or Help Me Rhonda on it... Like they're afraid that people will forget that they also have those songs.
Why bother to complain now? It is not going to change no matter what. Every release that is created is done so to generate income for Capitol. The Beach Boys' hits are a cash cow and something that they are going to take advantage of. It is foolish to think otherwise. For me, except for not releasing a mono/stereo Wild Honey, the band and Capitol have given us almost everything we have desired as fanatics. Hopefully, if we support this release there will be more coming down the pipeline over the next few years.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #987 on: June 15, 2013, 12:37:26 PM »

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but is it safe to assume that the a capella "Can't Wait Too Long" on the forthcoming box is the same as the one featured on the Hawthorne, CA collection?  I was really hoping that we might get the early "Been Way Too Long" with the more elaborate vocal intro here (the one featured on some of the old Smile boots).
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #988 on: June 15, 2013, 01:14:43 PM »

Either way…  as canonical statements, you could do a whole lot worse.

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Thank you, Jonathon, for taking the high road when sharing your views with us.  Through a series of thoughtful, considered posts, you've really delivered where others have faltered.  Frankly, I enjoyed reading your words much more than the exorbitantly long, overwrought and reactionary posts of others (posts which were guilty of trading opinion as fact and just plain, old fashioned, not knowing when to quit.  Yikes!).
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #989 on: June 15, 2013, 02:19:52 PM »

AGD - I meant studio version of "The Letter" - same one that's on Rarities, not the live version.

BTW, on a related note, and assuming that it's not a mis-print, I guess it's safe to say that the version of "The Letter" on here comes from that same 8/25 pre-concert rehearsal that's already given us released versions of "Good Vibrations," "Their Hearts We Full Of Spring," etc. (i.e. vs.  the later, Heider studio version)?

It's not a mis-print and yes, it's safe to say it was recorded at Heider's L.A.

Wait, Mikie, I'm confused. The track description says it's a "Hawaii Rehearsal" which seems to imply that it's taken from the same 8/25/67 pre-concert rehearsal that yielded the versions of Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring and Good Vibrations that have already been released. On the contrary, the Heider post-concert studio sessions were held on Sept. 11, 1967. That's where the studio version of The Letter (obviously) comes from that we already know and love.

Thus, what I'm asking is...is it a misprint, and in actuality the familiar post-concert, Heider studio version, or is this new version truly taken from  the 8/25 pre-concert rehearsal? Assuming that description is correct, it would seem to suggest that it is indeed taken from that 8/25 rehearsal.  Thus, an entirely new/different version from what we already have had officially released. No? Smiley

Edit: Furthermore, the two tracks on the new box (and located on the "Vaults" disc) that are definitely from the post-concert Heider-LA studio session are *correctly* designated in the track description:

23.    California Girls ("Lei'd In Hawaii" Studio Version)
24.    Help You, Rhonda ("Lei'd In Hawaii" Studio Version)

Thus, it really does seem to say that The Letter is indeed a new, pre-concert 8/25 rehearsal version. The fact that it's on the "Live" disc only reinforces that:   Smiley

13.    The Letter (Hawaii Rehearsal 1967)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 02:36:39 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #990 on: June 15, 2013, 02:56:40 PM »

Dave, there were three versions of "The Letter" recorded that I know of. One live at the Honolulu International Center, August 25, 1967, another live at the same venue August 26, 1967, and another recorded 'live'  September 11, 1967 at Wally Heider's in Hollywood. The version of "The Letter" that I proposed for release (actually re-release) is the Wild Honey outtake, dropped from the track line-up right before the album came out. Brian sings the lead and Mike sings the last verse. It was on the '83 Rarities album.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #991 on: June 15, 2013, 03:45:17 PM »

Dave, there were three versions of "The Letter" recorded that I know of. One live at the Honolulu International Center, August 25, 1967, another live at the same venue August 26, 1967, and another recorded 'live'  September 11, 1967 at Wally Heider's in Hollywood. The version of "The Letter" that I proposed for release (actually re-release) is the Wild Honey outtake, dropped from the track line-up right before the album came out. Brian sings the lead and Mike sings the last verse. It was on the '83 Rarities album.

Hi Mikie,

Yes, that's the Heider studio version that I'm referring to (i.e. the 9/11/67). But, again, what I'm saying is that they're telling us in the track description is that this new release is from the "Hawaii Rehearsal." That rehearsal occurred on 8/25 (as well the first concert...obviously), and that rehearsal was also recorded -- as we've already had versions of Their Hearts Were Full of Spring and Good Vibrations that were released from that rehearsal on past official releases.

Thus, if that description is correct, it appears that this new version of The Letter would be from that same 8/25 rehearsal as those noted two tracks above. Not actual concert versions form either night, or the latter Heider studio version. Smiley
FUN³
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #992 on: June 15, 2013, 04:02:33 PM »

nonplussed at inclusions/exclusions. disc 3 is tits though

underwhelming on the whole, but some keef nugs in this bag so i can roll my own.

I did expect more.

can't wait to download this for free; it sure isn't worth buying.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #993 on: June 15, 2013, 04:13:10 PM »

disc 3 is tits though

Is that good or bad?  Because I tend to think of tits as a good thing.  Grin

FUN³
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #994 on: June 15, 2013, 04:14:34 PM »

disc 3 is tits though

Is that good or bad?  Because I tend to think of tits as a good thing.  Grin
good like christina hendricks tits
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #995 on: June 15, 2013, 04:23:07 PM »

Dave, there were three versions of "The Letter" recorded that I know of. One live at the Honolulu International Center, August 25, 1967, another live at the same venue August 26, 1967, and another recorded 'live'  September 11, 1967 at Wally Heider's in Hollywood. The version of "The Letter" that I proposed for release (actually re-release) is the Wild Honey outtake, dropped from the track line-up right before the album came out. Brian sings the lead and Mike sings the last verse. It was on the '83 Rarities album.

Hi Mikie,

Yes, that's the Heider studio version that I'm referring to (i.e. the 9/11/67). But, again, what I'm saying is that they're telling us in the track description is that this new release is from the "Hawaii Rehearsal." That rehearsal occurred on 8/25 (as well the first concert...obviously), and that rehearsal was also recorded -- as we've already had versions of Their Hearts Were Full of Spring and Good Vibrations that were released from that rehearsal on past official releases.

Thus, if that description is correct, it appears that this new version of The Letter would be from that same 8/25 rehearsal as those noted two tracks above. Not actual concert versions form either night, or the latter Heider studio version. Smiley

Well, that'll be interesting! So this will be the fourth recorded version of "The Letter" that we get to hear and it's another legit concert rehearsal recording! You know, the "Lei'd In Hawaii Rehearsal" boot was erroneously passed off as the 25 Aug 1967 concert rehearsal. It was actually the Heider recordings.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 04:34:11 PM by Mikie » Logged

Jason
« Reply #996 on: June 15, 2013, 04:29:03 PM »

Their Hearts Were Full of Spring was released on the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey two-fer. Surfer Girl was released on the Good Vibrations box set. Good Vibrations was released on Hawthorne. These were all actual rehearsals. Otherwise they're not bootlegged.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #997 on: June 15, 2013, 04:32:03 PM »

The quality of the rehearsals leans toward the BBs really were tripping during the shows.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #998 on: June 15, 2013, 04:36:20 PM »

I think you've left something out!

A good book? Yeah my bad

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #999 on: June 15, 2013, 04:43:16 PM »

Their Hearts Were Full of Spring was released on the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey two-fer. Surfer Girl was released on the Good Vibrations box set. Good Vibrations was released on Hawthorne. These were all actual rehearsals. Otherwise they're not bootlegged.

The funny thing is...here it is 2013, and we've already had a few tracks from that 8/25 rehearsal officially released (with possibly another on the way), as well as the 9/11 Heider sessions, and yet, if memory serves me correct, only *1* track officially released from one of the actual concerts themselves (i.e. Heroes & Villains from the 8/25, actual concert performance).

I guess that speaks volumes as to what the powers-that-be prefer, "Lei'd-wise," and deem releasable...lol (and, yes, I like *some small portions* of the actual live shows).

Edit: I see SmileBrian succinctly addressed that "tripping" issue as well. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 05:07:54 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx