gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681509 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 08:30:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 445465 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 11, 2013, 02:55:13 PM »

FWIW. Bruce has posted on the brit site. Incredible to say, but he has no clue it would seem about just what is released.

Re(2): "Made In California" is up for preorder with "Wouldn't It Be Nice(To Live Again)" included!
Posted on June 11, 2013 at 10:26:02 PM by Bruce Johnston

Bobbreckwoldt:
I recently was doing an interview with Uncut Magazine for their July issue but I actually did not realize that the BB 50th live album is a 'collection' of several worldwide performances instead of a single recording from one concert. In addition, I had no idea that we had an upcoming box set in the works. Perhaps Uncut Magazine might find someone else from the band to interview who is more in the 'info loop' than me & I would not blame them.

I decided to go to Amazon's site today to look at what BB CD & DVD releases have been available since June 2012 and to see if any future releases will be listed.....
I counted one 'new' 2012 studio album, two greatest hits packages, Pet Sounds mono & stereo re-mastered CD (all four of these releases available also on MP3), two DVD releases (also on Blu-ray), and a box set being released at the end of this summer.

Everything that was released happened (and is still happening) over a fourteen month time frame. Seems like a lot of folks worked very hard around the clock to make all this music available.

Bruce Johnston
Montecito
June 11, 2013

PS: I think that there's a 'not yet edited' DVD/film of our BB 50th tour waiting in the wings, too.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 11, 2013, 03:04:25 PM »

I am now glad that I never ended up buying 50 Big Ones as it looks like everything on there is on the set.

Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 11, 2013, 03:11:18 PM »

Jesus... some of you people... exactly WHAT would it take to entirely satisfy you ?  Wouldn't surprise me at all if Capitol read this and thought, f*** the ungrateful bastards, we'll pull the set.

Are you Steve Hoffman in disguise?
Exactly my thoughts!
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 11, 2013, 03:15:44 PM »

This was posted by ShardEnder at the Steve Hoffman Forum.

I just had a quick look at Andrew G. Doe's website and managed to assemble quite the list (and not even a comprehensive one, at that!) of tracks that I feel would have been great to hear officially:

Game Of Love
 Honey Get Home
 Walkin'
 Tears In The Morning (early lyric version)
 Carnival/Over The Waves
 My Solution
 Big Sur (early 4/4 version)
 Carry Me Home
 We Got Love
 Hard Times
 It's A New Day
 Beatrice From Baltimore*
 Rolling Up To Heaven*
 Battle Hymn Of The Republic*
 Lucy Jones*
 Grateful Are We For Little Children
 In The Back Of My Mind (1975 version)
 Runnin' Bear
 Shake, Rattle And Roll
 We Gotta Groove
 Marilyn Rovell*
 Ruby Baby (1976 version)
 Mony Mony
 Life Is For The Living
 Hey, Little Tomboy (Adult Child version)*
 Deep Purple
 Everybody Wants To Live
 Shortenin' Bread (1973 version)
 Lines
 On Broadway*
 It's Trying To Say
 New England Waltz
 That Special Feeling*
 It's Over Now (piano demo)*
 Still I Dream Of It (piano demo)*
 Love Is A Woman (piano demo)
 Mona (piano demo)
 Airplane (piano demo)
 Let's Put Our Hearts Together (piano demo)*
 I'll Bet He's Nice (piano demo)*
 Honkin' Down The Highway (alternate Billy Hinsche lead vocal mix)
 Drip Drop*
 I'm Begging You Please*
 Skatetown U.S.A.
 Calendar Girl
 Stevie*
 Oh, Lord*
 Labor Day
 Rock And Roll To The Rescue
 Problem Child
 Chasing The Sky

Any songs marked with * are ones that I'm not sure BRI would like out there for content or quality issues, but there's clearly more than enough to fill another two - maybe even three - discs with great material to keep hardcore fans satisfied. Still, I guess they'll want to keep something else locked away for the inevitable "best of" compilations and possible future anniversary boxed sets... call them financial incentives held back to make us buy the same old yet again, if you will.
pmugghc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 11, 2013, 03:16:01 PM »

Lots of good stuff, but I would have preferred fewer accapella versions and more rarities, e.g. a good live version of "I've got a friend", or its recorded backing track.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 11, 2013, 03:19:17 PM »

Hi Capitol - Put the rarities on a nice double vinyl set...there's a good record company

I haven't bought a CD in a very long time so unlikely to get this. Spotify will do I guess.

Yeah I can wait until this bloviated albatross of a blahx set goes on sale for 1/2 price!!  LOL

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 11, 2013, 03:19:37 PM »

I just had a quick look at Andrew G. Doe's website and managed to assemble quite the list (and not even a comprehensive one, at that!) of tracks that I feel would have been great to hear officially:

Game Of Love
 Honey Get Home
 Walkin'
 Carnival/Over The Waves
 My Solution
 Carry Me Home
 We Got Love
 Hard Times
 It's A New Day
 Beatrice From Baltimore*
 Rolling Up To Heaven*
 Lucy Jones*
 Runnin' Bear
 Shake, Rattle And Roll
 We Gotta Groove
 Marilyn Rovell*
 Ruby Baby (1976 version)
 Mony Mony
 Life Is For The Living
 Deep Purple
 Everybody Wants To Live
 Lines
 On Broadway*
 It's Trying To Say
 New England Waltz
 That Special Feeling*
 Mona (piano demo)
 Airplane (piano demo)
 Drip Drop*
 I'm Begging You Please*
 Skatetown U.S.A.
 Calendar Girl
 Stevie*
 Oh, Lord*
 Labor Day
 Problem Child
 Chasing The Sky

Any songs marked with * are ones that I'm not sure BRI would like out there for content or quality issues, but there's clearly more than enough to fill another two - maybe even three - discs with great material to keep hardcore fans satisfied. Still, I guess they'll want to keep something else locked away for the inevitable "best of" compilations and possible future anniversary boxed sets... call them financial incentives held back to make us buy the same old yet again, if you will.
I just realised I'm gonna miss a remastered "Problem Child". Oh well..
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 11, 2013, 03:20:07 PM »

On the I Just Wasn't Made for These Times soundtrack.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 11, 2013, 03:22:57 PM »

When does "Beach Boys Central" open up with mp3 downloads of things they are too embarrassed to release in a physical format?

Honestly, this would be a perfect solution, and they're already paying for the domain name, so....

We should start a petition.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 11, 2013, 03:24:18 PM »

Game Of Love
 Honey Get Home
 Walkin'
 Carnival/Over The Waves
 My Solution
 Carry Me Home
 We Got Love
 Hard Times
 It's A New Day
 Beatrice From Baltimore*
 Rolling Up To Heaven*
 Lucy Jones*
 Runnin' Bear
 Shake, Rattle And Roll
 We Gotta Groove
 Marilyn Rovell*
 Ruby Baby (1976 version)
 Mony Mony
 Life Is For The Living
 Deep Purple
 Everybody Wants To Live
 Lines
 On Broadway*
 It's Trying To Say
 New England Waltz
 That Special Feeling*
 Mona (piano demo)
 Airplane (piano demo)
 Drip Drop*
 I'm Begging You Please*
 Skatetown U.S.A.
 Calendar Girl
 Stevie*
 Oh, Lord*
 Labor Day
 Problem Child
 Chasing The Sky

Some of these have never even been booted.  They're just names, as far as we know, so you have no clue as to whether they're of releasable quality.

Other stuff like Problem Child is utter crap.

And still others are easily found on boots.

It seems that you're just looking for something to complain about, but don't really know precisely what.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: June 11, 2013, 03:25:39 PM »

Don't know whether this was posted - Rolling Stone article about the box, mentions this.

"The set will come packaged as a high school yearbook with a reproduction of a personal essay called "My Philosophy" that Brian Wilson wrote while he was a student in 1959. Made in California will also include recollections from the other band members, replicas of classic Beach Boys artwork and memorabilia, photos from the band's archives and what a statement calls "handwritten yearbook-style inscriptions" from Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston and David Marks."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beach-boys-to-cap-50th-anniversary-with-career-spanning-box-set-20130611

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 11, 2013, 03:40:25 PM »

Lemme guess, judging from the "yearbook" packaging the Cee Dees will be jammed in paper slots. yeah thats real good.  Grin

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 11, 2013, 03:43:33 PM »

This is my 5th legal box set, not to mention all of the boot box sets. I think this is well balanced for group effort, and frankly, I cannot say that I would change much here. I have seen lots of excitement in reviewing this thread, and some disappointment. Quite honestly, given the politics surrounding The Beach Boys, I think Alan and Mark have done a great job of balancing everything out. The early years are mostly Brian, as they should be, but the rest of the group is well represented after Smile. I think Dennis and Carl are well represented, keeping in mind that almost every live track is from the years Carl led the road band. For those who want to hear obscure tracks (e.g. My Solution, We Got Love, Problem Child, etc.) they are ALL on Ebay. You just have to look. This is a career spanning package, and I feel great that everyone in the group stepped up and made sure Carl and Dennis are represented too.  Congratulations to the team that assembled this box.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 11, 2013, 03:47:06 PM »

Quite excited about the set, although I'm a little disappointed we won't have say, a half dozen more enigmatic tracks in full fidelity - such as Life Is For the Living. In the balancing act of commercial product vs. hard core collectibles, this sort of omission is to be expected (or course, Beachboyscentral.com could solve all that).

What I AM glad about is that I passed on the recent greatest hits releases which dangled the 'stereo remix' carrot in front of me...it'll be nice to have it all in a fresh release.  

In lieu of all that, we have our beloved boots. And yes...the instrumental of In The Back of My Mind is awe inspiring (particularly the extended fade which is worthy of the best of Mancini). Why this was neglected from MIC is Still A Mystery.

Blessed be the bootleggers, without whom we would be much the poorer.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 06:35:19 PM by Doo Dah » Logged

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 11, 2013, 03:49:49 PM »

The power of the smiley smile board. It's already in the top 100 on amazon
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 04:00:58 PM by Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 11, 2013, 03:50:47 PM »

This is my 5th legal box set, not to mention all of the boot box sets. I think this is well balanced for group effort, and frankly, I cannot say that I would change much here. I have seen lots of excitement in reviewing this thread, and some disappointment. Quite honestly, given the politics surrounding The Beach Boys, I think Alan and Mark have done a great job of balancing everything out. The early years are mostly Brian, as they should be, but the rest of the group is well represented after Smile. I think Dennis and Carl are well represented, keeping in mind that almost every live track is from the years Carl led the road band. For those who want to hear obscure tracks (e.g. My Solution, We Got Love, Problem Child, etc.) they are ALL on Ebay. You just have to look. This is a career spanning package, and I feel great that everyone in the group stepped up and made sure Carl and Dennis are represented too.  Congratulations to the team that assembled this box.

Couldn't agree more. It's not the precise box set I'd have put together if they asked me to come up with the tracklisting, but then I'd not have put half the tracks whose absence people are complaining about on either.

This will serve its purpose wonderfully.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: June 11, 2013, 03:54:36 PM »

I am now glad that I never ended up buying 50 Big Ones as it looks like everything on there is on the set.

And that right there says it all to explain why *some* fans here who did buy it may be less than thrilled about paying again for those same several dozen tracks.

It's marketing, pure and simple.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 11, 2013, 04:02:58 PM »

Just like the smile release even after MIC is released, our boots remain as important as ever

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Nicko1234
« Reply #368 on: June 11, 2013, 04:07:17 PM »

I do think it's fortunate that individual songs can be purchased on the net nowadays so that people don't have the awkward choice of spending the $130 or never hearing the songs. That price is far too high in my opinion...especially when you consider that the new Harry Nilsson set that was mentioned recently is $110 for 17 discs!!!

I did understand that this was always intended to be a career spanning box set and that it was intended to be an updated GV box set. I don't think that has been entirely successful though.

Firstly, because if the intention was to include the best songs from throughout their career then it doesn't 100% succeed. For example, only 11 songs are included from 1980 to 2013. They include crappy covers like Da Doo Ron Ron and Why Don't they Let Us Fall in Love and omit Where I Belong, Somewhere Near Japan, From There to Back Again (along with any decent unreleased songs that might exist) etc. I don't see the logic.

The inclusion of the 15 live songs again doesn't quite make sense to me. Some of them seem like great choices but if this is meant to be a career spanning set then why not cover their entire touring career? There is nothing from their first couple of years of touring or from between the years 1976 and 1992. These things make disc 5 seem like a mess to me.

I can understand people making comments like, 'if you've got the boots then why do you want the unreleased songs?'. But if more unreleased songs (or just better unreleased songs than the 2 covers mentioned) could have been included in a cohesive line-up then I think that would have been much more appealing than having songs on a bootleg where they are surrounded by mediocre stuff. That's what happened with the GV set imo and I don't think it has happened quite so well here (which may well be the band members' fault rather than the compilers).

I won't be spending $130 on this but if the price isn't reduced then I will be happy to get hold of the most interesting songs via the net and burn them onto a disc that I would want to listen to all the way through which isn't the case with discs 1-4 here.
Paulos
« Reply #369 on: June 11, 2013, 04:09:55 PM »

Posted this in the other MiC thread, its $112 on the Canadian amazon - http://www.amazon.ca/Made-California-CD-Box-Set/dp/B008XZKSRY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370990928&sr=8-1&keywords=made+in+california
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #370 on: June 11, 2013, 04:17:56 PM »

It happened with the Smile Sessions deluxe box set that certain big-box retailers ended up selling the set for much less than what the original pre-release online prices were. If money is the issue (and when isn't it?  Cheesy ) over having it immediately, a bit of patience can pay off. I'll take some action on this: I'm betting some retailers will be offering it by mid September for 99.99

I think 130 is kind of steep too, I'll say that much...but I wouldn't think so if even half of those "50 Big Ones" tunes were replaced by ones we don't already have.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 04:20:50 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #371 on: June 11, 2013, 04:27:37 PM »

I noticed on Amazon that Burt Bacharach's new set (which also has 6 discs and a book) is $78.95 (or £36.35) which would be a fair price for MiC. I haven't seen many sets that are anything like this price unless they have many more discs.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 11, 2013, 04:29:04 PM »

Firstly, because if the intention was to include the best songs from throughout their career then it doesn't 100% succeed. For example, only 11 songs are included from 1980 to 2013. They include crappy covers like Da Doo Ron Ron and Why Don't they Let Us Fall in Love and omit Where I Belong, Somewhere Near Japan, From There to Back Again (along with any decent unreleased songs that might exist) etc. I don't see the logic.

Well, they did include the two decent unreleased songs from that period -- Soul Searchin' and You're Still A Mystery. I imagine they don't want to cannibalise sales for the last album by including anything other than the singles, and personally I wouldn't want any more stuff we've already got replacing unreleased tracks.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 11, 2013, 04:34:27 PM »

Will be watching the pre-order price to see if it will move downward the way TSS did...

Glad that the waiting and anxiety over MIC is at last over, and that so many of the unreleased cuts will now (at last!) surface.

Just wanted that live version of "Mess of Help," however. WAAH!!!!  Cool Guy
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 11, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »

I do think it's fortunate that individual songs can be purchased on the net nowadays so that people don't have the awkward choice of spending the $130 or never hearing the songs. That price is far too high in my opinion...especially when you consider that the new Harry Nilsson set that was mentioned recently is $110 for 17 discs!!!

I did understand that this was always intended to be a career spanning box set and that it was intended to be an updated GV box set. I don't think that has been entirely successful though.

The inclusion of the 15 live songs again doesn't quite make sense to me. Some of them seem like great choices but if this is meant to be a career spanning set then why not cover their entire touring career? There is nothing from their first couple of years of touring or from between the years 1976 and 1992. These things make disc 5 seem like a mess to me.

I can understand people making comments like, 'if you've got the boots then why do you want the unreleased songs?'. But if more unreleased songs (or just better unreleased songs than the 2 covers mentioned) could have been included in a cohesive line-up then I think that would have been much more appealing than having songs on a bootleg where they are surrounded by mediocre stuff. That's what happened with the GV set imo and I don't think it has happened quite so well here (which may well be the band members' fault rather than the compilers).

I won't be spending $130 on this but if the price isn't reduced then I will be happy to get hold of the most interesting songs via the net and burn them onto a disc that I would want to listen to all the way through which isn't the case with discs 1-4 here.

Still plenty for a 'Live' boxset sometime perhaps.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx