gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:52:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 440790 times)
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2013, 07:48:50 AM »

Nice to see "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" in there where it belongs, but I am surprised by so few rarities.
Pre-ordered anyway. Too many goodies to pass up.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2013, 07:49:54 AM »

I have a lot of thoughts on this tracklisting. Could have been far worse though. One random omission I'll throw out there: Carl's unbooted take on "I'll Always Love You." That one has been mentioned a lot over the years.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2013, 07:51:00 AM »

CD 3
----

11.   Old Man River (Vocal Section)
17.   Break Away (Alternate Version)

Wonder if these are new!

Can't wait to hear the stereo Our Prayer, alternate Don't Worry Baby, alternate Meant For You, etc. Lots of good stuff here!

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2013, 07:52:13 AM »

The live section of the album seriously leaves a lot to be desired and a few rarities I was hoping would make the box set haven't.

A few obvious songs taking up room, Rock n Roll music for example.

All and all, I'm excited and it could've been a lot worse.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2013, 07:52:40 AM »

This is a great track list, along the lines of what I expected. No Stevie, or Lines unfortunately. And I was really hoping for Sandy. (I suppose they thought Sherry would be the better choice as it has vocals)

Some very exciting stuff on here though. Alternate Don't Worry Baby - wow!!!
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2013, 07:53:18 AM »

As I feared, it's like those "other two guys" never existed.  Thank God "Sail On, Sailor" was a single or there'd be no vocal representation from either of them.  I'm incredible happy with the track listing but extremely disappointed to know we'll never get official, decent sounding versions of "Hard Times", It's A New Day", "We Got Love", etc; or for that matter, the 4/4 version of "Big Sur".   Cry
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2013, 07:53:33 AM »

Nice to see "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" in there where it belongs, but I am surprised by so few rarities.
Pre-ordered anyway. Too many goodies to pass up.

So *few* rarities?! A third of it's previously unreleased stuff, a good chunk of that's unbooted, and a couple of titles there I at least had never even *heard of*. What were you expecting?

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Nicko1234
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2013, 07:57:12 AM »

So *few* rarities?! A third of it's previously unreleased stuff, a good chunk of that's unbooted, and a couple of titles there I at least had never even *heard of*. What were you expecting?

That depends on what you class as rarity though doesn't it? We knew there was going to be an obscurities disc which there is. But personally I would have hoped that more unreleased songs would have been scattered between the other discs (which did happen with the GV box set). Those first two discs have one genuinely unreleased song between them for example.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2013, 07:57:16 AM »

As I feared, it's like those "other two guys" never existed.  Thank God "Sail On, Sailor" was a single or there'd be no vocal representation from either of them.  I'm incredible happy with the track listing but extremely disappointed to know we'll never get official, decent sounding versions of "Hard Times", It's A New Day", "We Got Love", etc; or for that matter, the 4/4 version of "Big Sur".   Cry

"We Got Love" is a very disappointing exclusion. Thanks for reminding me  Undecided

Paulos
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2013, 07:59:45 AM »

This is probably why Carry Me Home didn't make it either, there does seem to be this recent attempt to airbrush Ricky and Blondie from Beach Boys history and I don't know why. Having said that , will the live version of Wild Honey from '72 be a Carl or Blondie lead? I'm thinking Carl.
Nicko1234
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2013, 08:01:49 AM »

I agree that it's disappointing that It's a New Day, Carry Me Home and We Got Love are all omitted.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2013, 08:04:01 AM »

So many puzzling choices, "Brian's back", really?

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2013, 08:08:18 AM »

"Brian's Back" is a pretty significant part of the legacy.

I'm glad it's coming out when it's coming out and I'm glad that it has all sorts of exciting choices but I am also sad that I will still have no good quality recording of Carry me Home, Walkin', My Solution, It's Trying to Say, etc. These are bizarre omissions.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 08:12:44 AM by rockandroll » Logged
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2013, 08:08:34 AM »

I was hoping for "We Got Love" and many of the other songs people have been mentioning.  I don't consider a new stereo mix a rarity.  I was figuring we'd get more unreleased titles.  We've had vague insider reports from people saying the tracklisting would be really impressive.  And it's just not.  There's a lot of new stuff and I sure look forward to hearing it.  But there is so much left in the vault we must still long for.  The first two discs are just the same old stuff.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 08:10:44 AM by TV Forces » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2013, 08:09:21 AM »

What is the thinking behind the genuinely unreleased songs that are collected together on disc 6? Are things like Barnyard Blues, Where is She?, You've Lost that Lovin Feeling etc. all considered unfinished or that they would not fit in with the rest of the set? I don't really understand that.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2013, 08:10:20 AM »

That depends on what you class as rarity though doesn't it? We knew there was going to be an obscurities disc which there is. But personally I would have hoped that more unreleased songs would have been scattered between the other discs (which did happen with the GV box set). Those first two discs have one genuinely unreleased song between them for example.

But those two discs are from the period where the barrel has already been most comprehensively scraped -- I certainly can't think of anything worth releasing from that period that hasn't come out.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2013, 08:11:19 AM »

This is probably why Carry Me Home didn't make it either, there does seem to be this recent attempt to airbrush Ricky and Blondie from Beach Boys history and I don't know why. Having said that , will the live version of Wild Honey from '72 be a Carl or Blondie lead? I'm thinking Carl.

Oops.  I forgot about that.  If it's not Blondie's version it will be a crime!  No matter how you feel about he and Ricky or their contributions to the band, that version was a staple of the era and deserves a proper release.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2013, 08:11:54 AM »

What is the thinking behind the genuinely unreleased songs that are collected together on disc 6? Are things like Barnyard Blues, Where is She?, You've Lost that Lovin Feeling etc. all considered unfinished or that they would not fit in with the rest of the set? I don't really understand that.

Makes a kind of sense to me -- that way people buying the box for the new stuff can listen to just that one disc, and when it comes out in MP3 format people who have most of the other tracks can buy one disc separately.

Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2013, 08:13:42 AM »

I'm slightly underwhelmed by the tracklist, even though I do not want to be; lots of incredible goodies in there! I will still buy it, but it's a crime some songs were included and songs like Stevie, Carry Me Home, It's a New Day and We Got Love were not. And where is that magnificent Friends era outtake Adam Marsland mentioned? If stuff like that was supposed to be that good, why hasn't it been included? To all the people talking about Ricky and Blondie being airbrushed from the Beach Boys history, take a look at the design of disc 4!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 08:16:11 AM by Yorick » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2013, 08:17:16 AM »

MIC! Rock!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2013, 08:17:29 AM »

This is probably why Carry Me Home didn't make it either, there does seem to be this recent attempt to airbrush Ricky and Blondie from Beach Boys history and I don't know why. Having said that , will the live version of Wild Honey from '72 be a Carl or Blondie le
ad? I'm thinking Carl.
Not sure that they are airbrushing them out of history. They are pictured on disc 4 (inner spread from the CATP/PS album).

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2013, 08:17:38 AM »

But those two discs are from the period where the barrel has already been most comprehensively scraped -- I certainly can't think of anything worth releasing from that period that hasn't come out.

Then take out some of the hits overkill and have those two discs cover a longer period of time.  
Then in the 70s, there will be room for the songs people here are, I guess, supposed to overlook
the exclusion of because we're getting "Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again."
Nicko1234
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2013, 08:18:13 AM »

No demos or alternate versions or Party outtakes or anything? They include things like Goin' to the Beach and Da Doo Ron Ron later so they weren't exactly being picky.  Wink And if there are no worthwhile songs from that era then how about the other periods?

Disc 3 has no genuinely unreleased songs (though Sound of Free is an excellent inclusion).

Disc 4 has 3 genuinely unreleased songs including the legendary Goin' to the Beach.

As I've said, I do think disc 6 will be great so I don't want to sound like a complete downer but I don't understand the rationale behind some of the decisions taken.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2013, 08:21:10 AM »

I'm laughing my ass off right now. We're pissing & moaning already and the tracklist list as been released how long? Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2013, 08:23:12 AM »

I'm laughing my ass off right now. We're pissing & moaning already and the tracklist list as been released how long? Wink

how long is customary to wait to discuss a tracklising we've been waiting a long time for?
and how is it "pissing and moaning" to debate what's included and whats missing?  
grow up and learn discourse.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx