gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680816 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:05:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paul Giamatti is going to play Gene Landy in "Love and Mercy"  (Read 23124 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2013, 09:08:32 AM »

Have you ever actually seen a movie? John Cusack and Paul Giamatti are the exact opposite of bad and/or obscure.
Maybe my wording wasn't accurate, since I didn't mean these 2 actors when I said "bad & obscure". More like in general, addressing to hypothetical casting. As to the 1st question, I don't watch TV & never went to the cinema (the latter is extremely boring imo). So, I think that explains my ignorance in film industry.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2013, 10:40:18 AM »

If the film-makers want to portray Landy as slimy and villainous then Giamatti's your man - good casting !
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2013, 10:48:53 AM »

Have you ever actually seen a movie? John Cusack and Paul Giamatti are the exact opposite of bad and/or obscure.
Maybe my wording wasn't accurate, since I didn't mean these 2 actors when I said "bad & obscure". More like in general, addressing to hypothetical casting. As to the 1st question, I don't watch TV & never went to the cinema (the latter is extremely boring imo). So, I think that explains my ignorance in film industry.

Giamatti is a great actor, he's going to be a fantastic Landy.

You're so fascinating Rangerover. Definitely one my favorite people on this board, never stop posting.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Nicko1234
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2013, 03:29:55 PM »

I agree that Giamatti is a superb actor. I think he could do a great job of playing Landy.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2013, 03:41:27 PM »

Giamatti is a great actor, he's going to be a fantastic Landy.

You're so fascinating Rangerover. Definitely one my favorite people on this board, never stop posting.

I see, RangeRover. That makes a lot more sense, actually. My bad.  Smiley
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2013, 11:49:50 PM »

I always thought Henry Winkler looked like Landy's much more handsome, more awesome brother. GOD.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2013, 10:29:43 AM »

As bad as that Stamos ABC two-parter was, they should use the guy who played Mike in that. He was a great Mike Love.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2013, 12:42:53 PM »

Now I'm excited to see who else will be cast. Maybe they'll get a slew of those "I'm an actor not a star" types. Phillip Seymour Hoffman as Murry, for example.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2013, 01:31:11 PM »

Now I'm excited to see who else will be cast. Maybe they'll get a slew of those "I'm an actor not a star" types. Phillip Seymour Hoffman as Murry, for example.

I can smell the Oscars already

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2013, 02:17:24 PM »

Oh hell yes. Sideways is one of my favourite movies, Paul is wonderful in that film.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2013, 02:45:15 PM »

The cast is excellent (Cusack has always been one of my favorite actors, and Giamatti is great in everything I've seen him in), but does it slightly concern anyone that none of these actors look like the people they're supposed to be portraying??? I mean, geez, Paul Giamatti would make a better 70s Al than Landy at any period of his life.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2013, 03:13:43 PM »

Yeah, although all the actors they've cast so far are good actors, neither John Cusack nor Paul Dano look at all like Brian or even suggest any sort of Brian vibe, and neither does Paul Giamatti with regards to Landy. When you know a story very well and you see it translated to a movie, i think it's pretty hard to get into it when the actors don't look their part.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 03:14:58 PM by monicker » Logged

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2013, 03:14:22 PM »

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2013, 03:39:57 PM »

Nah. I'd much rather have quality actors that evoke the essence of the person rather than some cheesy celebrity impersonator who looks spot on but can't act for toffee.

That said, I'm off to Universal to pitch my Culture Club pic starring... Boy Jason.

http://www.fakefaces.co.uk/lookalikes.html?lookalike_id=1786
Nicko1234
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2013, 04:05:40 PM »

Yeah, although all the actors they've cast so far are good actors, neither John Cusack nor Paul Dano look at all like Brian or even suggest any sort of Brian vibe, and neither does Paul Giamatti with regards to Landy. When you know a story very well and you see it translated to a movie, i think it's pretty hard to get into it when the actors don't look their part.

As long as they are made to look the same age and have some vague similarities in the way that they're made up then I don't think it should be a big deal. If the performances are good enough people will forget about the physical differences anyway.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2013, 05:01:56 PM »

I think it's better to have good actors. Joaquin Phoenix really looks nothing like Johnny Cash except for dark hair. Same with Reese Witherspoon for June Carter Cash. And Jamie Foxx doesn't really look like Ray Charles. Can you believe Gary Busey played Buddy Holly? Ha.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2013, 05:32:27 PM »

I agree Amy.... but having Cusack and Giamatti will attract some viewers who might not otherwise be interested... IMO
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2013, 07:33:27 PM »

I agree Amy.... but having Cusack and Giamatti will attract some viewers who might not otherwise be interested... IMO

I think you misunderstood me. I think it's better to have good actors than to have actors than resemble the people they're playing. So I agree that Cusack and Giamati=better than Brian and Landy doppelgangers. Two great actors. Smiley
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »

What is this one or the other thinking? Where did i suggest that i am okay with sacrificing good acting for mere physical likeness, or worse, a celebrity impersonator/doppelganger? How about both quality acting and a vague resemblance at the very least?

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2013, 05:04:54 AM »

Nah. Quality acting should come before all else. Richard Gere was great as Bob Dylan.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2013, 05:11:02 AM »

Nah. Quality acting should come before all else. Richard Gere was great as Bob Dylan.

Couldn't agree more. BTW did Gere really play Dylan? Don't know anything about that.

See it as theatre. Shakespeare did not write 'actor looks prescriptions' to go with his plays. To catch the essence of a character is the secret of art.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2013, 05:48:16 AM »

...BTW did Gere really play Dylan? Don't know anything about that.

Yes...and so did Cate Blanchette, Heath Ledger and four others in the film I'M NOT THERE...which took a surrealistic yet very refreshing look at pivotal events in Dylan's life. The screenwriter for that film, Oren Moverman, is the man behind the screenplay for LOVE & MERCY, so hopefully he brings a similar intelligence to his approach to Brian's life.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2013, 06:23:24 AM »

...BTW did Gere really play Dylan? Don't know anything about that.

Yes...and so did Cate Blanchette, Heath Ledger and four others in the film I'M NOT THERE...which took a surrealistic yet very refreshing look at pivotal events in Dylan's life. The screenwriter for that film, Oren Moverman, is the man behind the screenplay for LOVE & MERCY, so hopefully he brings a similar intelligence to his approach to Brian's life.

Ah, thanks, I should have guessed that at least (didn't see the film). It's good to hear that the director of that film will do L&M too, since it was well-received in the quarters that matter.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2013, 08:18:57 AM »

I always thought Christoph Waltz would make a good Landy.  Well, not always, but for as long as I've known Christoph Waltz.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2013, 09:35:13 AM »

You guys, you're making me feel like a philistine.  Cry

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx