gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:44:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paul Giamatti is going to play Gene Landy in "Love and Mercy"  (Read 23072 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2013, 12:34:40 PM »

http://www.avclub.com/articles/paul-giamatti-joins-that-john-cusackasbrian-wilson,98699/

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 12:36:46 PM »

Ha! You can just picture this in your head, can't you? Can't wait to see him in costume with a ridiculous hairpiece.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 12:38:56 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 12:37:36 PM »

Looks good to me… starting to warm to this.

“We live in divisive times.”
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 12:44:15 PM »

This is looking to be a winner!
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 12:51:37 PM »

I loved him Private Parts 1,000 years ago. This is going to be awesome.

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 01:06:22 PM »

He was incredible in the John Adams miniseries. Quality actor for sure.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 01:10:45 PM »

Giametti can play comedy like nobody's business so I sure hope the writers exploit the yuks potential of his role to the full; it'd be needed to offset the whole grimness of the Landy era, especially in its later part (apart from, say, depicting the recording of "Smart Girls" - now there's something that would be damn funny if done right).
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 01:56:39 PM »

He was incredible in the John Adams miniseries. Quality actor for sure.

Absolutely. Great hire.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 02:05:41 PM »

Suddenly this movie seems like it might not be horrible ...
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 05:50:46 PM »

I love him in Sideways. If this movie is actually released (biopics have a tendency to get announced and then disappear) then it shouldn't be bad
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 06:28:54 PM »

Ok, this movie just got serious

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 06:47:44 PM »

Ooooh snap, now this is starting to sound interesting! damn son
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 04:18:17 AM »

One of my favorite actors. My favorite Giamatti movie is " American Splendor ''. I might be biased because I am a professional artist and also a big Robert Crumb fan. Anyway, American Splendor is a great movie and Paul Giamatti is spot on in his portrayal of Harvey Pekar.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 05:35:21 AM »

One of my favorite actors. My favorite Giamatti movie is " American Splendor ''. I might be biased because I am a professional artist and also a big Robert Crumb fan. Anyway, American Splendor is a great movie and Paul Giamatti is spot on in his portrayal of Harvey Pekar.
THIS! He rocked hard in American Splendor. Amazing and versatile actor.
He's also portraying another iconic pop culture villain (next to Landy) soon in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - the Rhino. Here's a behind-the-scenes look at him (obviously not in full Rhino mode yet):

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 03:12:39 PM »

He'll sure beat that fat guy who played Landy in the 1990 movie!

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 05:20:38 PM »

Horrible casting so far. Why am I not surprised...
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 06:34:50 PM »

Oh man, now that I see Gene is getting a big role, this movie totally needs to start with Brian doing a mid-80s workout (complete with headband, short shorts, and shirt with the sleeves cut off) to "Too Much Sugar" as Gene yells in his face to get in shape.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 06:48:05 PM »

And, as Brian works out, we see repeated shots of him trying to fit into a pair of leather pants. Each time, he's a little thinner, until finally he can squeeze into the pants. "You look like Jim Morrison," says a leery-eyed Landy.

Then, Brian goes on stage to perform "Night Time". Cut to a shot of Mike Love watching the spectacle on television, shaking his head and then crying.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 07:57:51 PM »

I think Laura Dern would make a great Melinda.  If you look at pictures from when Melinda was younger, like in the I Just Wasn't Made for These Times documentary, there's a bit of a resemblance too.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2013, 02:58:23 AM »

I want the middle half hour of the movie to focus entirely on the recording of Sweet Insanity.

Seminal stuff.

And I want a scene where Peter Reum peeks into Landy's, um, 'travel case' with a gazillion packs and bottles of meds for Brian, and see his eyes pop out of his head.

(the latter may be entirely fictitious, but it is no crime to 'emphasise' reality for viewing impact a bit).

Just sayin'.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2013, 02:59:16 AM »

...and I want the scene where Mike Love says to Brian: 'Those Shoes Are Hideous!!!'.

A remark that changed the course of history.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2013, 03:24:16 AM »

And the scene where Brian says he's going to walk round the swimming pool 5017 times, and then proceeds to do just that.. If that sequence is not in the film in its entirety, then I for one won't be going to see it.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2013, 03:39:48 AM »

And the scene where Brian says he's going to walk round the swimming pool 5017 times, and then proceeds to do just that.. If that sequence is not in the film in its entirety, then I for one won't be going to see it.

Grin

Robust remark from someone in the know.

On closer inspection, I think the film must be about 12 hours in length, just as the original version of Greed, by Erich von Stroheim.

Some studio mogul will cut away about 10 hours and 'lose' the memory devices with that deleted stuff. Result: a bowdlerised and totally incomprehensible, but eminently watchable version will see the light of day.

But true fans and film historians will go to the greatest of lengths for about 45 years and they discover lots of bits and pieces of the movie in the most unexpected of places. They faithfully re-create ever more precise versions of the original film. Also, a whole cottage industry arises where other fans create their own versions of the 12 hour epic biopic about BW.

And then, finally, in the year 2058, there is reason to rejoice: the work as it was intended is released, to great praise, and crowned with many, many awards all over the world.

(*unsettling feelings of déja vu are popping up in my brain*)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 03:40:44 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2013, 06:52:58 AM »

I definitely don't know the subject of discussion, the photo doesn't help recognize him either, but if he's really that talented as you all claim, then fine. Though tbh, I'll watch this biopic anyway, even if the casting is consisting of bad &/or obscure actors. It's about Brian Wilson, after all. Surely, if the movie concerned another musician, I'd see it as long as I'm certain it's not a trash.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2013, 07:29:03 AM »

I definitely don't know the subject of discussion, the photo doesn't help recognize him either, but if he's really that talented as you all claim, then fine. Though tbh, I'll watch this biopic anyway, even if the casting is consisting of bad &/or obscure actors. It's about Brian Wilson, after all. Surely, if the movie concerned another musician, I'd see it as long as I'm certain it's not a trash.

Have you ever actually seen a movie? John Cusack and Paul Giamatti are the exact opposite of bad and/or obscure.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx