gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 03:01:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson's 11th solo album announced today  (Read 93147 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 08, 2013, 03:39:34 PM »

How very unclassy of you Nicko. Aren't you better than this? I thought you were a musician, creative type? Instead, you continue to champion a guy who has turned one of the greatest, creative rock bands of all time into a traveling oldies show.

And before someone gives me sh% t for not going PM, Nicko refuses to do PMs and just sends his pot shots in threads. Classy huh!

No pot shots at all. You know that you are intentionally misquoting people in this thread and posting things that are inaccurate.

The most baffling thing of all is that you have said that you wouldn't want Brian touring as The Beach Boys so I've no idea why you wanted to take up space on the board with an idea that you don't want and which there has never been any remote indication will happen.
Dude, you must be hitting the Kokamo juice really hard. You say I say something but don't quote me. I never said I don't wanna see Brian touring as the BB. Please start paying attention. I said it be hard to imagine thee BBs without Mike out front.  What I did say is 3 trumps 2.

What baffles me is how poor your comprehension is. And that you can't stop taking pot shots "taking space of the board" while denying you do it. Question, are you AGD's nephew?

Instead of debating, you just want to fight. You showed your true self whem you posted my PM to you and got banned. Those are facts you can't pot shot away.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #251 on: June 08, 2013, 03:40:35 PM »

You seem to have a distinct ability to intermix different arguments.The point was repeatedly made that M/B are highly successful because they do over 100 shows a year. My point is, you can do 30 shows and be successful.

Sure you can but what would be the point for Brian? It would make no business sense at all (losing him a fair amount of money) and it would go against all that he and Melinda have done over the past 15 years in building the 'Brian Wilson' brand. Brian doesn't need the Beach Boys name.  A Brian-led Beach Boys would arguably be a less successful business than the current touring band anyway simply because costs would be so much higher.

I do love the idea that Brian would go out playing gigs and Mike could stay at home while still getting paid though...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: June 08, 2013, 03:42:05 PM »

As to the premise DBA won't last, Al got unhappy, got unwanted and left Brian's tour because he wasn't getting paid.

Wrong. He knew he wasn't getting paid from day one: that had nothing to do with why he left the tour somewhat precipitately.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 08, 2013, 03:45:16 PM »

May I point out, not for the first time, that since the LA Times letter of last October, Brian hasn't said a single word more about the entire situation: for someone who was reportedly close to heartbroken about the situation, he sure got over it fast. Granted, the imminent mini-tour with Alan & David could be construed as a tacit riposte to Mike, but that's just me musing aloud, and as we all know, I know nothing of the mind  and motivation of BDW.  Grin
He is saving it all for his new book is what I hear. He did say he doubts any more reunions but didn't say why.

I don't think they are trying to compete. As you correctly pointed out, individuals can't compete with the Beach Boys name. My opinion is they had fun on the C50 and wanted to do more together.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #254 on: June 08, 2013, 03:47:13 PM »

Dude, you must be hitting the Kokamo juice really hard. You say I say something but don't quote me. I never said I don't wanna see Brian touring as the BB. Please start paying attention. I said it be hard to imagine thee BBs without Mike out front.  What I did say is 3 trumps 2.

What baffles me is how poor your comprehension is. And that you can't stop taking pot shots "taking space of the board" while denying you do it. Question, are you AGD's nephew?

Instead of debating, you just want to fight. You showed your true self whem you posted my PM to you and got banned. Those are facts you can't pot shot away.

Sorry but this is getting ludicrous. I am referring to this comment:

My comments are all hypothetical speculation as I don't have the numbers - who gets paid what, what the average venue gross is, etc. AGDs argument is solid in stating parties benefit $ from Mike's touring. I appreciate your arguement. I would prefer neither entity call themselves the Beach Boys. I do think 3 trumps 2, but can't imagine the BB without Mike as the front man.

You said that you would prefer neither entity call themselves The Beach Boys which is exactly what I've just quoted you as saying.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 08, 2013, 03:47:51 PM »

As to the premise DBA won't last, Al got unhappy, got unwanted and left Brian's tour because he wasn't getting paid.

Wrong. He knew he wasn't getting paid from day one: that had nothing to do with why he left the tour somewhat precipitately.

Right. My source says otherwise. And he IS an honored guest on here, unlike you. I know your memory is foggy here, I have a couple of PMs from you on this very subject.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 08, 2013, 03:53:16 PM »

It still befuddles me -- still! -- that Brian's wishes have been given so little consideration here. He wanted to keep touring with the band. He wanted to make more Beach Boys records. But apparently a couple of pre-booked dates at tiny venues mean all of that doesn't matter.

Yes, poor Brian. His wishes are never considered enough.  I just pulled a muscle with a comically over-wrought eye roll.

You should get that looked at. Muscle strains are the worst.

What records plans were ruined and what did it have to do with the end of C50? I must have missed that.

The full group had offers on the table for more shows -- including Madison Square Garden, I believe -- and another studio album. Mike turned them down, given how important it was to keep playing wineries with Bruce and Christian.

Why would the end of the tour prevent another album? Where is this coming from?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 03:42:53 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 08, 2013, 03:56:46 PM »

Sorry but this is getting ludicrous. I am referring to this comment:

My comments are all hypothetical speculation as I don't have the numbers - who gets paid what, what the average venue gross is, etc. AGDs argument is solid in stating parties benefit $ from Mike's touring. I appreciate your arguement. I would prefer neither entity call themselves the Beach Boys. I do think 3 trumps 2, but can't imagine the BB without Mike as the front man.

You said that you would prefer neither entity call themselves The Beach Boys which is exactly what I've just quoted you as saying.

Obviously you can't understand what I infer. So I will spell it out. I would prefer that only the 5 tour as the BB. If not that, 3 trumps 2, Brian is the "man" and if anyone should be touring as the BBs, it's him. That is my feeling in the matter. I understand your feeling that Mike's band  is the legitimate BB. That is simply it.

And your ontinuous arguements about my 'wild speculation' and 'my opinions' is, I think, boring to most everyone, including me. So either be a man and use a PM or stop.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 08, 2013, 03:58:31 PM »

It still befuddles me -- still! -- that Brian's wishes have been given so little consideration here. He wanted to keep touring with the band. He wanted to make more Beach Boys records. But apparently a couple of pre-booked dates at tiny venues mean all of that doesn't matter.

Yes, poor Brian. His wishes are never considered enough.  I just pulled a muscle with a comically over-wrought eye roll.

You should get that looked at. Muscle strains are the worst.

What records plans were ruined and what did it have to do with the end of C50? I must have missed that.

The full group had offers on the table for more shows -- including Madison Square Garden, I believe -- and another studio album. Mike turned them down, given how important it was to keep playing wineries with Bruce and Christian.

Why would the end of the tour prevent another album? Were is this coming from?

Jon Stebbins. He posted on this subject several times.

And it wasn't just the end of a tour. It was the end of the C50 corporate entity, which was a separate concern run by Brian, Mike and Joe Thomas. The name was licensed to it from BRI.
Nicko1234
« Reply #259 on: June 08, 2013, 03:59:39 PM »

Obviously you can't understand what I infer. So I will spell it out. I would prefer that only the 5 tour as the BB. If not that, 3 trumps 2, Brian is the "man" and if anyone should be touring as the BBs, it's him. That is my feeling in the matter. I understand your feeling that Mike's band  is the legitimate BB. That is simply it.

Haha.

You have been good value in this thread I must say. Thanks for misquoting me again btw. I will leave it there but rest assured that you have given both myself and AGD a good laugh in this thread.
Nicko1234
« Reply #260 on: June 08, 2013, 04:02:33 PM »

And it wasn't just the end of a tour. It was the end of the C50 corporate entity, which was a separate concern run by Brian, Mike and Joe Thomas. The name was licensed to it from BRI.

Very interesting stuff.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 08, 2013, 04:08:12 PM »

Very interesting stuff.

Relevant links:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15371.msg357557.html#msg357557
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15371.msg357607.html#msg357607
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15371.msg357621.html#msg357621
Nicko1234
« Reply #262 on: June 08, 2013, 04:15:08 PM »

Yeah, I do remember reading them at the time and they are an interesting insight into what went on. They do also reinforce to me just how lucky we are that last year happened at all.

I also think though that the problems that are happening now are down to BRI's decisions back in 1998. If there had been any inkling back then that a reunion may one day occur then the BBs touring name should have been retired until all of the remaining members could participate. But obviously the almighty dollar ruled things.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 08, 2013, 04:15:20 PM »

Haha.

You have been good value in this thread I must say. Thanks for misquoting me again btw. I will leave it there but rest assured that you have given both myself and AGD a good laugh in this thread.

So you, yet another veiled insult.
I absolutely believe you deserve each other  LOL
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 04:16:46 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 08, 2013, 04:15:33 PM »

Can't help but wonder how this thread would develop if there was an announcement that Brian and Mike were to perform a show together, while Bruce, Al and Dave played elsewhere the same night, as the Beach Boys.

Or if we received a press release confirming that Mike's recent Ocean Way session was indeed vocal overdubs for Brian's next album (there's been nothin officially to state otherwise, after all).

« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 04:17:05 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: June 08, 2013, 04:15:46 PM »

Right. My source says otherwise. And he IS an honored guest on here, unlike you. I know your memory is foggy here, I have a couple of PMs from you on this very subject.

You keep right on thinkin' Butch, that's what you're good at.

Nicko1234
« Reply #266 on: June 08, 2013, 04:19:38 PM »

So you, yet another veiled insult.
I absolutely believe you deserve each other  LOL

How can we deserve each other? He's my uncle remember.  Smiley

You seem to have the thinnest skin of anyone I've ever known judging by how often you feel insulted.  Wink
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 08, 2013, 04:19:49 PM »

Very interesting stuff.

Relevant links:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15371.msg357557.html#msg357557
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15371.msg357607.html#msg357607
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15371.msg357621.html#msg357621

Thanks. Still not clear on how ending the tour and even the C50 corporation would prevent a BRI studio album.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 08, 2013, 04:20:15 PM »

That's the best you can do Mr. Doe. I better call BMI, I mean BRI.

I am still waiting for my apology when you repeatedly called me a liar and then you got banned.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 08, 2013, 04:22:55 PM »

I wonder how much longer M&B can tour non-stop. Brian's group is only only doing seven shows this year along with an album. I question why a wealthy man like ML wants to tour to the death in questionable venues.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: June 08, 2013, 04:23:38 PM »

That's the best you can do Mr. Doe. I better call BMI, I mean BRI.

I am still waiting for my apology when you repeatedly called me a liar and then you got banned.

Unlikely to happen, on account of my terrible memory.  Grin

Nicko1234
« Reply #271 on: June 08, 2013, 04:24:19 PM »

Thanks. Still not clear on how ending the tour and even the C50 corporation would prevent a BRI studio album.

It will certainly be interesting to learn if there was any contact between Brian and Mike about doing anything together in the studio. Even if it were just Mike contributing some vocals.

The same goes for Bruce of course as I don't think he and Brian have ever had too much of a problem with each other.
Nicko1234
« Reply #272 on: June 08, 2013, 04:25:56 PM »

I wonder how much longer M&B can tour non-stop. Brian's group is only only doing seven shows this year along with an album. I question why a wealthy man like ML wants to tour to the death in questionable venues.

- For more money
- To have sex with many beautiful ladies
- Because he has the touring in his blood and genuinely seems to enjoy it
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: June 08, 2013, 04:31:00 PM »

'Cause it's what he enjoys doing most - connecting with a live audience.

And... they don't tour non-stop any more than they do 150-200 shows a year. In 2000 (the last year I have full data for) they did 98 gigs and didn't play at all in January & November, and barely in February (2), March (2),  April (4), May (5) and October (6).

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 08, 2013, 04:31:35 PM »

'Cause it's what he enjoys doing most - connecting with a live audience.

And... they don't tour non-stop any more than they do 150-200 shows a year. In 2000 (the last year I have full data for) they did 98 gigs and didn't play at all in January & November, and barely in February (2), March (2),  April (4), May (5) and October (6).

Key word: connecting.  Evil
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx