gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680869 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 07:55:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson's 11th solo album announced today  (Read 93202 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 07, 2013, 01:33:30 PM »

As much as I liked TWGMTR and still appreciate Mike's and Bruce's voices, I can see the positives on having a solo album by Brian Wilson rather than envolving the two aforementioned: at least we won't have that ridiculously cheesy nostalgia that seems to be absolutely mandatory whenever we're talking about The Beach Boys. It feels as though there HAD to be something along the lines of Daybreak Over The Ocean on the album. While Brian himself delivers some cheesy songs once in a while (though I'd blame it on his collaborators), I'm still hopeful to listen to a consistent non-embarrasing work. Including Mike Love is including "good vibrations, good times, a lot of fun, beaches", etc.

In terms of publicity, commercial sucess and live presentations there is no doubt that Brian, Mike, Bruce, Al and David sound much better than just Brian and his backing band, or even Brian together with Al and David. I guess I'm biased because I know I won't be able to attend a concert anyway, so it doesn't matter that much to me personally.

David and Alan participating on a Brian Wilson's solo album, that also includes Jeff Beck, is really the best we can get right now. We should be happy not only because the most creative mind of the musical world announced a new project, but also because if anything the C50 massively improved the relations between these three members.

Agreed! Removing the Beach Boys name from the product generally means that the work can function independently of that brand. Anything new associated with the Beach Boys (with rare exception of Life Suite) has been a dumbed down nostalgia fest of the 80's. Better to keep it real and accept that the Beach Boys had a good, long run but now finally it has come to pass.
The real problem is that M&B won't respect BW's creative vision and want their dumbed down "nostalgia, which is really a bastardized version of the early 1960s BW sound. I would love BBs albums where M&B know their role and leave the album making to BW.

Just my opinion but there is nothing wrong with nostalgia.  In fact it's part of The Beach Boys appeal.  The general public expects at least a couple of songs to sound like early 1960s BB records complete with images of surfboards and hot rods.  I have no problem with that and if the songs are solid or at the very least catchy, I actually enjoy that aspect of Beach Boys albums.  What makes it even better is you get the stark contrast from that type of material juxtaposed against the introspective "Brian Wilson is going to take your breath away with this song" material.  The combination of both styles is what to me has always made The Beach Boys so enjoyable as a band.
The two style do make a good combo in a listening experience, but at this point Mike's "nostalgia" is so cynical and crass, it does not make a good listening experience with his words being so hollow. Mike may have a good song or two left in him, but he won't write it as "nostalgia" is easy to do and fits the "brand" better in his eyes.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 07, 2013, 01:39:36 PM »

Here's a little experiment you can conduct during your lunch break: go outside and ask five or ten random passers-by who they'd rather go see - The Beach Boys, or Brian Wilson with Alan Jardine & David Marks. I'm betting the balance would be something like 90% BB.
So you claim Bruce and Mike are "the" Beach Boys?   Why don't you go out on your next break from bet booking and ask people who they'd rather see, the Beach Boys or Mike Love and Bruce Johnston. You argue your own argument.

Talking simple name recognition here... but since you ask, yes, since 1998, according to the democratically expressed wish of the voting members of BRI (who, last time I looked, included some dude called Brian Douglas Wilson), Mike & Bruce are indeed "The Beach Boys".

Despite your claim to know Brian's wishes, you are self admittedly no longer in contact with Brian and his people. You JM, Nickos claim Brian doesn't care about being a Beach Boy completely ignores Brian's most recent public statements on the issue. Like this one 7 months ago, "I'm disappointed and can't understand why Love doesn't want to tour with Al, David and me. We are out here having so much fun. After all, we are the real Beach Boys".

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 07, 2013, 01:56:19 PM »

To quote Brian and disprove AGDs contention, and yours, "After all, we are the real Beach Boys". Which is saying the Mike/Bruce show isn't.

I could post dozens of links documenting Mike sacking Brain, butI will quote just one. The truth is if Mike hadn't dumped the other three, we would have a new BB album and tour this summer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2208817/Youre-fired-Three-Beach-Boys-founding-members-dumped-bands-frontman-Mike-Love.html

I'm quite alright with the Beach Boys never regrouping again but they did not go out on a high, Mike made sure that didn't happen.

Shady - People can't seem to get the notion out of their heads that Mike had no apparent authority to fire anyone.  And that he literally "stopped" the very successful and very busy, Touring Band from its "business as usual" for C50.  They did close the C50 Tour on high ground. I'm watching the London show on YouTube right now. Undoctored, and unprofessional but unreal!  Wink

That said, Mike could assert that he was finished performing, in the C50 context, and that is his choice.  You can't force performance, as that would be a form of " indentured servitude."  

And Brian seemed more comfortable with the performances as time went on.  And largely it seemed due to his back procedure.  For years Brian didn't seem to want to perform as a Beach Boy. He went on record as such.  And everyone just accepted that.  He went solo.  I saw him even out-of-state, because I love his work.  And I selfishly would like to see them do select sections of his work at some point.  I bet we'll see them work together at some point.  

This is a great opportunity for Brian to work again with Dave and Al, as the Touring Band continues to push their own growth curve. Two words -Wild Honey! - "single-handed - took me alive!"  

Shady - It's Friday - Smiley brew time!  Beer

Mike had every authority to fire Brian, Al and David, he holds the license, and he did. How ever you want to couch it, the three were canned. Al has wanted back in the band for years and Mike hasn't allowed it till the C50. Brian, in essence,  wanted the band reformed,  by continuing to make albums and tour indefinetly.

And with a new album and DBA tour, this is going to get rehashed in the press yet again.
Nay - nay! I disagree.  It wasn't "Mike's tour" as facts evolved.  The C50 wasn't touring under the Touring Band banner.  And BRI who is the parent identity of the corporation, named Mike as designee of the license.  An old Larry King show with  a Brian and Melinda interview supports that.  It appears they were different structures. And the Touring Band returned to "status quo ante" post C50.

There are 4 votes on the BRI board.  Brian, Mike, Al, and Carl's estate, from what I've read.  It was a pre-arranged tour, with a beginning and end.  
This structure looks like a closely-held corporation which is what most family based corporations are.  In order to change this, the shareholders would have to vote to proceed otherwise.  It is done by whatever governing rules were set up from the outset.  And, no one person could outvote three others.  (If there were three who were in agreement.)

It is a "board" decision not a "fan board" decision.  And all the news spinmeisters won't change the governing rules.  The members do that. And apparently, they haven't. 
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 07, 2013, 01:59:23 PM »

Here's a little experiment you can conduct during your lunch break: go outside and ask five or ten random passers-by who they'd rather go see - The Beach Boys, or Brian Wilson with Alan Jardine & David Marks. I'm betting the balance would be something like 90% BB.
So you claim Bruce and Mike are "the" Beach Boys?   Why don't you go out on your next break from bet booking and ask people who they'd rather see, the Beach Boys or Mike Love and Bruce Johnston. You argue your own argument.

Talking simple name recognition here... but since you ask, yes, since 1998, according to the democratically expressed wish of the voting members of BRI (who, last time I looked, included some dude called Brian Douglas Wilson), Mike & Bruce are indeed "The Beach Boys".

Despite your claim to know Brian's wishes, you are self admittedly no longer in contact with Brian and his people. You JM, Nickos claim Brian doesn't care about being a Beach Boy completely ignores Brian's most recent public statements on the issue. Like this one 7 months ago, "I'm disappointed and can't understand why Love doesn't want to tour with Al, David and me. We are out here having so much fun. After all, we are the real Beach Boys".

Geez, you yourself just said that was seven months OLD. Hardly recent. And earlier you linked to the Daily Mail, fer Chrissake… assume you're not a resident of the State of Britland? The Mail is a pile of shite, purveyor of lies and adjectives. Possibly worse than the Sun and the NoW ever were.  If that's where you get your hard news facts, good luck to you.

It ain't us saying that Mike and Bruce are the BBs, it's BRI. We accept there's not a lot we can do about that (unless you're up for a Cohen-style boycott of all BRI product until Mike surrenders his licence…  LOL ).

Y'know, it would have been lovely (albeit prone to flop) if the reunion had gone on indefinitely but it didn't. The 2012 Beach Boys ended as was planned, the licensed torch bearers continued in their stead, the individuals concerned started to get on with their lives as they had before.

Only a few fans thought that they could close their eyes, wish hard, and will it into being otherwise.  I mighta been one for a while but reality set in.

There's a Cohen-like stubborness developing here which has me edgy, uncomfortable and uneasy.

NURSE?

“We live in divisive times.”
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 07, 2013, 02:04:21 PM »

Forgetting all the soap opera bull merda, I'm really excited for this album.

Personally, I'd rather an album of Brian at piano sketching the songs before all the chefs in the kitchen start adding their own ingredients, but regardless- I'm really excited.

Rock On Mr. Wilson!  Rock!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 07, 2013, 02:05:10 PM »

So you claim Bruce and Mike are "the" Beach Boys?   Why don't you go out on your next break from bet booking and ask people who they'd rather see, the Beach Boys or Mike Love and Bruce Johnston. You argue your own argument.

Geez, you yourself just said that was seven months OLD. Hardly recent. And earlier you linked to the Daily Mail, fer Chrissake… assume you're not a resident of the State of Britland? The Mail is a pile of shite, purveyor of lies and adjectives. Possibly worse than the Sun and the NoW ever were.  If that's where you get your hard news facts, good luck to you.

It ain't us saying that Mike and Bruce are the BBs, it's BRI. We accept there's not a lot we can do about that (unless you're up for a Cohen-style boycott of all BRI product until Mike surrenders his licence…  LOL ).

Y'know, it would have been lovely (albeit prone to flop) if the reunion had gone on indefinitely but it didn't. The 2012 Beach Boys ended as was planned, the licensed torch bearers continued in their stead, the individuals concerned started to get on with their lives as they had before.

Only a few fans thought that they could close their eyes, wish hard, and will it into being otherwise.  I mighta been one for a while but reality set in.

There's a Cohen-like stubborness developing here which has me edgy, uncomfortable and uneasy.

NURSE?

Beer  (for you!)

Hilarious Post!    LOL

You nailed it!   
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 02:06:04 PM by filledeplage » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 07, 2013, 02:07:09 PM »

The 2012 Beach Boys ended as was planned.

Except that this is demonstrably untrue. The plans were already changed once, to add the spate of overseas dates. And three of the five wanted to extend the reunion. Therefore, however it might be spun, the reunion did not end "as planned." It ended in dissension.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 07, 2013, 02:08:05 PM »

It was two different business concepts that combined for a set period (later extended) and a definite plan.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 07, 2013, 02:09:59 PM »

How the fuck did this turn into another stupid argument thread?  Brian Wilson has a new album coming out, he's probably moved on from all of this nonsense, shut up and enjoy the music.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 03:12:38 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 07, 2013, 02:14:24 PM »

It was two different business concepts that combined for a set period (later extended) and a definite plan.

Except that the set period was up to the principals to define. Al and Brian and Dave wanted to extend that period, and had offers on the table to do so. Mike did not. He was not a prisoner to any contract. He helped write the dang thing. When it suited his purposes, he agreed to extend it. When it didn't, he didn't.

I'm not saying there is anything objectively wrong about this. What happened happened. But there is for some reason a bizarre fixation among many here in denying what actually happened, which is that three-fifths of the reunited Beach Boys -- including Brian Wilson -- wanted to keep the band together.

Mike Love didn't. Brian and Al and Dave were sent packing. That's the reality. Deal with it.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 02:15:40 PM by Wirestone » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 07, 2013, 02:15:12 PM »

Except that this is demonstrably untrue. The plans were already changed once, to add the spate of overseas dates.

Okay, so it was granted an extension, which enabled myself and a few others here to witness, on Sept 28, what is likely to go down as the last ever concert by a version of The Beach Boys we all thought we'd never see on stage together. Very much appreciated!

Doesn't mean the five have to lash themselves to the wagon for eternity. It's over.

How the fuvk did this turn into another stupid argument thread?  Brian Wilson has a new album coming out, he's probably moved on from all of this nonsense, shut up and enjoy the music.

Y'right!

“We live in divisive times.”
MBE
« Reply #186 on: June 07, 2013, 02:16:32 PM »

Brian and Mike do not write press statements, they both got bad advice from those who do. I am glad more people realize that here than I thought, but honestly do any of you really think Brian set down feverishly at the keyboard and wrote the L.A. Times??? If the general public and press buy it, they are naďve. On a general press story about something you know about (not just Beach Boys, ANY interest of yours), how often are the details misrepresented? This isn't a script, it's showbiz, and the Beach Boys aren't media savvy. They have been putting out harmful press statements since 1967, it doesn't mean anything other than their are a few boneheads in their organizations. Why all the drama when their lives are whacky enough, and a little secret-they don't care anymore about mine month old press snafu's.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 12:29:04 AM by Mike Eder » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 07, 2013, 02:16:46 PM »

How the fuvk did this turn into another stupid argument thread?  Brian Wilson has a new album coming out, he's probably moved on from all of this nonsense, shut up and enjoy the music.

Because there are some here who still don't get it. Mike is a entertainer, Brian is a musician/studio guy but still reluctant performer. That is why we get new BW material rather than Beach Boys albums.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 07, 2013, 02:20:03 PM »

Except that this is demonstrably untrue. The plans were already changed once, to add the spate of overseas dates. And three of the five wanted to extend the reunion. Therefore, however it might be spun, the reunion did not end "as planned." It ended in dissension.
There may have been a "modification" to the C50 tour agreement, but that probably did not change the result. Only two of the "three" you mention have voting rights at BRI.  So it is grossly misleading.  Brian, Mike, Al and Carl's estate.  Four votes as I understand. It is very clear. BRI drives this.  
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 07, 2013, 02:24:01 PM »

How the fuvk did this turn into another stupid argument thread?  Brian Wilson has a new album coming out, he's probably moved on from all of this nonsense, shut up and enjoy the music.

Because there are some here who still don't get it. Mike is a entertainer, Brian is a musician/studio guy but still reluctant performer. That is why we get new BW material rather than Beach Boys albums.

Except that Brian wanted to continue performing with the reunited group.

There may have been a "modification" to the C50 tour agreement, but that probably did not change the result. Only two of the "three" you mention have voting rights at BRI.  So it is grossly misleading.  Brian, Mike, Al and Carl's estate.  Four votes as I understand. It is very clear. BRI drives this.  

Did I say that Dave had a vote? Did I ever even suggest that? If you look back at my posts, I've made it perfectly clear that I know there are four votes in BRI. Which is why the C50 shows ended when they did -- Mike and Carl's estate are able to prevail over Brian and Al.

I've never once said that Mike did anything incorrect legally. In fact, he adhered scrupulously to all negotiated agreements. My point is that simply, because he didn't want the C50 tour to continue, that it ended. That is what happened, and it's borne out by insider accounts.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 07, 2013, 02:26:46 PM »

I don't understand why this keeps needing to be repeated. A business plan was put in place for 2012. Only 2012!

If Mike had said he wanted to keep the C50 going into 2013 and Brian had said "Can't do as I'm recording my new solo album" would we still get the same bitching?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 07, 2013, 02:42:29 PM »

I don't understand why this keeps needing to be repeated. A business plan was put in place for 2012. Only 2012!

If Mike had said he wanted to keep the C50 going into 2013 and Brian had said "Can't do as I'm recording my new solo album" would we still get the same bitching?

No, because he would be working on a solo project. As far as I know, Mike did not end the reunion to tour under his own name or record a solo album.

And again, to restate the obvious, the business plan was created by the Boys, and could have been revised by them if Mike were amenable. Which he was not.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 02:43:46 PM by Wirestone » Logged
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 07, 2013, 02:42:35 PM »

...sssnnnooorrre...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 07, 2013, 02:46:19 PM »

Indeed. Jeff Beck! And Brian Wilson!

Here's a Q and A with Jeff B., which was apparently moderated by Jeff F.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NFUKfXdcZM
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 07, 2013, 02:54:35 PM »

Except that Brian wanted to continue performing with the reunited group.

Did I say that Dave had a vote? Did I ever even suggest that? If you look back at my posts, I've made it perfectly clear that I know there are four votes in BRI. Which is why the C50 shows ended when they did -- Mike and Carl's estate are able to prevail over Brian and Al.

I've never once said that Mike did anything incorrect legally. In fact, he adhered scrupulously to all negotiated agreements. My point is that simply, because he didn't want the C50 tour to continue, that it ended. That is what happened, and it's borne out by insider accounts.
No, and that doesn't diminish his (David's) talent, but making a statement such as three v. two represents that that is where the decision is made.  Not the "principals" as they were referred to by Live Nation.  But "principals" does not equate BRI voting members. And those who aren't familiar (mostly the very misled general public ) would think that this is so.  (My own kids asked me if Brian was fired, and I had to undo the damage done by those far-flung media reports.)

They answer to a higher authority.  And that is an oversimplification.  And, I'm happy to see that you concede that Mike adhered scrupulously to the negotiated agreements.  

Mike carved out about nine months to celebrate the event, sandwiched between commitments before and after the scheduled events.  And, from all observations, the Touring Band is doing very well and selling seats. Some shows are sold out.  And, he takes the music where it could not go given the constraints of the venues and the way they only went to the big cities.  
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: June 07, 2013, 03:36:18 PM »

To quote Brian and disprove AGDs contention, and yours, "After all, we are the real Beach Boys". Which is saying the Mike/Bruce show isn't.

I could post dozens of links documenting Mike sacking Brain, butI will quote just one. The truth is if Mike hadn't dumped the other three, we would have a new BB album and tour this summer.

... and I can trump you two with articles stating that Mike didn't and doesn't have the power to fire anyone - Mike & Brian's exchange of letters in the LA Times last fall. Mike said he can't, and a few days later Brian concurred. Further, in an interview circa 2006, Brian observed "well, Mike & Bruce are The Beach Boys... and Alan is Alan Jardine... but I'm Brian Wilson !". If I were of an antagonistic frame of mind, I could muse that, by their selfish desire to extend the tour a second time, and ignoring that Mike had dates set in stone that were known to them in mid-summer, in fact it was Brian et al who brought it all to a shuddering halt.

I'm joking, of course, but at least my facts are accurate. One more time, for those hard of comprehending: no-one fired anyone.

Despite your claim to know Brian's wishes, you are self admittedly no longer in contact with Brian and his people.

Ah, now, there was a time when putting words into my mouth that I've never uttered, or even implied, would have resulted is a righteous - and entirely deserved - tongue lashing, but now... well, I'll just smile and shake my head sadly that the best you can do to counter my statement is concoct an untruth. For shame... for shame.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 03:42:51 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 07, 2013, 03:39:19 PM »

Brian Wilson's 11th solo album announced today

Transcendental Meditation Banana Banana w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! Kool-Aid Man Thumbs Up Rock! Rock! Transcendental Meditation

I knew if I stayed away from here for a week something would break.  Grin

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 07, 2013, 04:09:03 PM »

I'm going to try to compartmentalize everything I feel on this issue into one succinct posting.  First and foremost I really did enjoy the C50 last year when The Beach Boys were a living, breathing entity in the world of pop music.  There isn't much I enjoy about pop music today and while I'm aware there are some decent acts buried under all the sludge given that music isn't necessarily affordable as it once was and I prefer hard copy as oppose to just "pulling mp3s", I mainly stick to the small handful of the bands I enjoy listening to.  So to have one of those bands release new product and tour last year was pretty cool at least I thought.

The fact that the members of The Beach Boys essentially reverted to what they were prior to the C50 at the end of the tour?  Um, I was disappointed to say the least but I understood it.  I've tried my best not to villainize anyone, I really have because I do understand Mike Love's position even if I don't necessarily agree with it myself.  One thing I do resent however and this is where some degree of anger comes in is I think there are a number of Beach Boys fans who were snookered in last year.  The Beach Boys gave a number of interviews last year where they were asked point blank about some of their past tiffs and hard feelings towards one another and essentially responded to these questions with a great deal of "that stuff is all in the past and we're playing happy families" now type responses.  It seemed they went out of their way to promote a great deal of good will publicly between all of the members of the group throughout the duration of the C50.  

Now I understand that it was important both to move TWGMTR and tickets to the C50 tour but at the end of the journey to have the group essentially revert back to being a bunch of sniping and backbiting individuals really was a true letdown and left me with a feeling in my stomach that didn't feel all that great.  Yeah I know that Al Jardine and David Marks are working with Brian Wilson on his new solo album but to me the main rift for years that hovered over the band had little to do with the relationship between Brian Wilson and Al Jardine and more to do with Wilson/Jardine vs. Camp Mike Love.  So at the end of the day to have Brian/Al/Dave over here on this side of the room and Love/Johnston on the other, well lets just say in the grand scheme of things from my vantage point little has changed.

Now in regards to this new solo record by Brian Wilson.  I can't say I'm excited for it but I'm not trying to put it down either.  First off since the press release that came out this week was merely an announcement that he's "working on the record" rather than the record is imminent, I'm assuming we are at least a decent way away from it appearing in shops where we can purchase it and see what it's all about for ourselves.  Also with the exception of a few bands I listen to, I'll likely do what I always do in regards to new releases which is decide whether or not I pick up this new solo album once we get closer to the release date and I've gotten to hear a couple of the tracks through whatever Brian Wilson releases through his website or on YouTube or whatever.  I'll also take the reviews of my fellow SSMB members into account.  If we start getting a copious amount of posts saying that the record is a must avoid rather than a must buy, I'll likely put my money towards something else.  But like I said all of this is pure speculation at this point in regards to how I'll feel about a project that is probably five-six months away from finding it's way into shops.

I am 99.9% sure I am going to purchase MIC.  My Beach Boys GV box set is a tattered mess after all these years and instead of ordering a new copy of that off of Amazon, I'll simply purchase MIC when it comes out and allow it to "replace" GV in my collection.  I don't plan on purchasing any tickets to either M&B or BAD this summer basically because I don't consider M&B to be "The Beach Boys" and I've seen Brian Wilson numerous times in concert before.  I'll admit that probably about 10% of the reason why I'm not as gung-ho about dropping money on Beach Boys-related concerts this summer is the aforementioned snookering but I'm not one to hold long grudges and I'm sure at some point in the possible near future I will go see Brian Wilson in concert again.

But beyond that it's just very hard for me to get really excited about any announcement about what these guys are doing right now in their solo careers.  It just feels like for me as if there is a dark cloud that is hovering over anything that has to do with the individual members of this group right now, including Brian and that is just the way it is right now.  I don't hate anybody, I don't blame anybody for feeling differently, I have no desire to harp on this any further unless approached or something genuinely piques my interest.  I've said what I needed to say and now I'll take pause and pass the forum over to those who still have more to say.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 04:13:12 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 07, 2013, 04:12:38 PM »

... and I can trump you two with articles stating that Mike didn't and doesn't have the power to fire anyone - Mike & Brian's exchange of letters in the LA Times last fall. Mike said he can't, and a few days later Brian concurred. Further, in an interview circa 2006, Brian observed "well, Mike & Bruce are The Beach Boys... and Alan is Alan Jardine... but I'm Brian Wilson !". If I were of an antagonistic frame of mind, I could muse that, by their selfish desire to extend the tour a second time, and ignoring that Mike had dates set in stone that were known to them in mid-summer, in fact it was Brian et al who brought it all to a shuddering halt.

I'm joking, of course, but at least my facts are accurate. One more time, for those hard of comprehending: no-one fired anyone.

Despite your claim to know Brian's wishes, you are self admittedly no longer in contact with Brian and his people.

Ah, now, there was a time when putting words into my mouth that I've never uttered, or even implied, would have resulted is a righteous - and entirely deserved - tongue lashing, but now... well, I'll just smile and shake my head sadly that the best you can do to counter my statement is concoct an untruth. For shame... for shame.  Cheesy

I have a source........... YOU.............. might want to review your PM out box.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 07, 2013, 04:15:29 PM »

Brian Wilson's 11th solo album announced today

Transcendental Meditation Banana Banana w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! Kool-Aid Man Thumbs Up Rock! Rock! Transcendental Meditation

I knew if I stayed away from here for a week something would break.  Grin
Yes!  And wouldn't it be just lovely if folks could take their pissing matches to the land of private messaging, and we could get back to the topic at hand? 

I mean, I know there's not much to say about the new album until we get more info, and I get that this was born of the topic - folks discussing the possibility of how a Brian Wilson could have been a Beach Boys album, and such - but I mean, just pages, upon pages of the same couple of people, holding steadfast to their own opinion, restating their views over and over again, trying to change the mind's of other people who are just as convinced that they are right.

"Boring, Sidney.  Boring"
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx