gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 02:58:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson's 11th solo album announced today  (Read 93144 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: June 07, 2013, 06:42:26 AM »

I'm quite alright with the Beach Boys never regrouping again but they did not go out on a high, Mike made sure that didn't happen.

No, the press and fans made sure that didn't happen (not to forget a press release by one Mr. Wilson).

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 07, 2013, 06:48:48 AM »

So...Brian has been in the studio with some very talented and musically interesting people including two erstwhile Beach Boys....he's just announced it's for a new "solo" album....and some people aren't happy.

Jeez....if you had told me a few years ago that this would come to pass I'd have been wetting myself. Would I prefer that Mike & Bruce were on board too and this was a Beach Boys record? Maybe, though mindful that Brian apparently has dozens of songs some earmarked for the BB's and others for solo projects. If these songs he's recording with Dave & Al, and Jeff Beck et al are ones he deems best for non-BB's recordings then so be it.

I'm really excited by an album featuring the above mentioned people plus Vinnie Caulita and Tal Winklefield. Highly talented musicians and all able to bring something fresh and new to Brian's compositions.

And if you'd told me 15 years ago that the rest of the band would be "Brian's long time touring band" I'd have asked you to hand me whatever you were smoking.

Maybe I have this annoying habit of taking a step back and putting things in proportion but I am thrilled to hear this news. It's about the best we could possibly get.

Absinthe Boy (sitting in the garden enjoying mango)

I don't know why you can't understand that some of us are Beach Boys fans and not Beach Boy solo fans. We were teased with the possibility of a new Beach Boys "rock n roll" album last summer, and now we know that it's not going to happen. I am very happy for people who are excited about a new Brian Wilson album. Really I am. But why can't you can't extend the same courtesy and try to understand that some of us are disappointed after being told last year that there was going to be a new Beach Boys album? Again, happy for you and everyone else that a new BW solo record is on the way, but some of us aren't nearly as interested in that. I think you should be more understanding. This is a BEACH BOYS message board. It's not brianwilson.com.

Having said all that... I'm still holding out hope for one more BB album! BUT if it doesn't happen, I'll be ok. I DO think they went out on a high note with the tour and TWGMTR, dueling op-eds notwithstanding.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 07, 2013, 06:49:30 AM »

And... if Brian is indeed so all-fired to keep making Beach Boys albums, all he has to do is ask Mike & Bruce to stroll on down to Oceanway.

Really? It's that easy? Even though Jon Stebbins reported that the group was given an offer to do another studio album (along with more live work) and Mike declined? Or are you questioning the veracity of Mr. Stebbins information?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 07, 2013, 07:00:43 AM »

I'm quite alright with the Beach Boys never regrouping again but they did not go out on a high, Mike made sure that didn't happen.

No, the press and fans made sure that didn't happen (not to forget a press release by one Mr. Wilson).

It was Mike's decision. He is justifiably enduring the brickbats. Why should Brian, who wanted to continue the C50 configuration -- both in touring and recording albums -- provide cover for him?
Heteronym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 07, 2013, 07:49:12 AM »

As much as I liked TWGMTR and still appreciate Mike's and Bruce's voices, I can see the positives on having a solo album by Brian Wilson rather than envolving the two aforementioned: at least we won't have that ridiculously cheesy nostalgia that seems to be absolutely mandatory whenever we're talking about The Beach Boys. It feels as though there HAD to be something along the lines of Daybreak Over The Ocean on the album. While Brian himself delivers some cheesy songs once in a while (though I'd blame it on his collaborators), I'm still hopeful to listen to a consistent non-embarrasing work. Including Mike Love is including "good vibrations, good times, a lot of fun, beaches", etc.

In terms of publicity, commercial sucess and live presentations there is no doubt that Brian, Mike, Bruce, Al and David sound much better than just Brian and his backing band, or even Brian together with Al and David. I guess I'm biased because I know I won't be able to attend a concert anyway, so it doesn't matter that much to me personally.

David and Alan participating on a Brian Wilson's solo album, that also includes Jeff Beck, is really the best we can get right now. We should be happy not only because the most creative mind of the musical world announced a new project, but also because if anything the C50 massively improved the relations between these three members.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 07, 2013, 08:55:22 AM »

Also, 11th solo album is a little too generous. How about --

Fifth solo album of original material. Along with three covers records, two live albums, one collaboration, one soundtrack, and one revival of a lost 60s classic.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 07, 2013, 09:08:59 AM »

At least the professor will stop to talking about a possible Beach Boys album!

Yes, and he can thus focus on to correcting your horrible grammar.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 07, 2013, 09:15:49 AM »

Prof +1.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 07, 2013, 09:23:35 AM »

Also, 11th solo album is a little too generous. How about --

Fifth solo album of original material. Along with three covers records, two live albums, one collaboration, one soundtrack, and one revival of a lost 60s classic.
Generous, maybe - but factually correct. Wink It's going to be his 11th solo release. And if BW had at one point in the 00s released original Love You demos under his own name it would even be his 12th solo release. Smokin
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: June 07, 2013, 10:11:51 AM »

It was Mike's decision. He is justifiably enduring the brickbats. Why should Brian, who wanted to continue the C50 configuration -- both in touring and recording albums -- provide cover for him?

Not cover. Brian just wrote total bullsh!t in his press release which is evident, plain and simple. And it is that press release that really got the ball rolling because everyone jumped on it and made it an ugly ending.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 07, 2013, 10:34:07 AM »

At least the professor will stop to talking about a possible Beach Boys album!

Yes, and he can thus focus on to correcting your horrible grammar.

Maybe English isn't Alan's primary language. Ever think of that? Give the guy a break, you guys.  Geez.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 07, 2013, 10:43:23 AM »

I'm listening to FTTBA/PCH/SG right now… that, and a blistering successful world tour, suggests to me that they did go out on a high!

But you and your mate AGD have been arguing that Mike's band "is the Beach Boys".  You can't have it both ways.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 07, 2013, 10:47:15 AM »

As much as I liked TWGMTR and still appreciate Mike's and Bruce's voices, I can see the positives on having a solo album by Brian Wilson rather than envolving the two aforementioned: at least we won't have that ridiculously cheesy nostalgia that seems to be absolutely mandatory whenever we're talking about The Beach Boys. It feels as though there HAD to be something along the lines of Daybreak Over The Ocean on the album. While Brian himself delivers some cheesy songs once in a while (though I'd blame it on his collaborators), I'm still hopeful to listen to a consistent non-embarrasing work. Including Mike Love is including "good vibrations, good times, a lot of fun, beaches", etc.

In terms of publicity, commercial sucess and live presentations there is no doubt that Brian, Mike, Bruce, Al and David sound much better than just Brian and his backing band, or even Brian together with Al and David. I guess I'm biased because I know I won't be able to attend a concert anyway, so it doesn't matter that much to me personally.

David and Alan participating on a Brian Wilson's solo album, that also includes Jeff Beck, is really the best we can get right now. We should be happy not only because the most creative mind of the musical world announced a new project, but also because if anything the C50 massively improved the relations between these three members.

Agreed! Removing the Beach Boys name from the product generally means that the work can function independently of that brand. Anything new associated with the Beach Boys (with rare exception of Life Suite) has been a dumbed down nostalgia fest of the 80's. Better to keep it real and accept that the Beach Boys had a good, long run but now finally it has come to pass.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 07, 2013, 11:00:39 AM »

Shady - People can't seem to get the notion out of their heads that Mike had no apparent authority to fire anyone.  And that he literally "stopped" the very successful and very busy, Touring Band from its "business as usual" for C50.  They did close the C50 Tour on high ground. I'm watching the London show on YouTube right now. Undoctored, and unprofessional but unreal!  Wink

That said, Mike could assert that he was finished performing, in the C50 context, and that is his choice.  You can't force performance, as that would be a form of " indentured servitude." 

And Brian seemed more comfortable with the performances as time went on.  And largely it seemed due to his back procedure.  For years Brian didn't seem to want to perform as a Beach Boy. He went on record as such.  And everyone just accepted that.  He went solo.  I saw him even out-of-state, because I love his work.  And I selfishly would like to see them do select sections of his work at some point.  I bet we'll see them work together at some point. 

This is a great opportunity for Brian to work again with Dave and Al, as the Touring Band continues to push their own growth curve. Two words -Wild Honey! - "single-handed - took me alive!" 

Shady - It's Friday - Smiley brew time!  Beer

Mike had every authority to fire Brian, Al and David, he holds the license, and he did. How ever you want to couch it, the three were canned. Al has wanted back in the band for years and Mike hasn't allowed it till the C50. Brian, in essence,  wanted the band reformed,  by continuing to make albums and tour indefinetly.

And with a new album and DBA tour, this is going to get rehashed in the press yet again.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 07, 2013, 11:02:50 AM »

I'm listening to FTTBA/PCH/SG right now… that, and a blistering successful world tour, suggests to me that they did go out on a high!

But you and your mate AGD have been arguing that Mike's band "is the Beach Boys".  You can't have it both ways.
The crux of the situation is Mike is the only one who can use the name right now without a extensive legal battle or compromise with Mike. It looked like a democratic vote in 1998, but is nowhere near it in 2013.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 07, 2013, 11:03:33 AM »

I don't get why people are upset Mike (and Bruce) aren't involved in Brian's new project just so it can be labeled a "new Beach Boys" album. Mike's two creative contribuations on TWGMTR aren't exactly held in very high regard, and a lot of people seem to outright hate Bruce (Can we please drop the infantile "Teabag Bruce"/"Tea Party Bruce" nickname?).

Obviously, it would be ideal to have Mike's voice in the mix, as it is a necessary part of the BB's classic sound, but having Al on board--especially considering his voice has held up better than anyone in the group--makes it Beach Boys-y enough for me. I even hope David gets some vocals on the new record. He sounds fantastic on "Getcha Back", and his voice has a bit of a Dennis quality to it. And I'm sure someone in Brian's band is capable of handling Mike's bass parts. Having 3/5 of the original group involved, with Brian guiding the ship, is most important to me.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 11:19:13 AM by coco1997 » Logged

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 07, 2013, 12:08:07 PM »

Shady - People can't seem to get the notion out of their heads that Mike had no apparent authority to fire anyone.  And that he literally "stopped" the very successful and very busy, Touring Band from its "business as usual" for C50.  They did close the C50 Tour on high ground. I'm watching the London show on YouTube right now. Undoctored, and unprofessional but unreal!  Wink

That said, Mike could assert that he was finished performing, in the C50 context, and that is his choice.  You can't force performance, as that would be a form of " indentured servitude." 

And Brian seemed more comfortable with the performances as time went on.  And largely it seemed due to his back procedure.  For years Brian didn't seem to want to perform as a Beach Boy. He went on record as such.  And everyone just accepted that.  He went solo.  I saw him even out-of-state, because I love his work.  And I selfishly would like to see them do select sections of his work at some point.  I bet we'll see them work together at some point. 

This is a great opportunity for Brian to work again with Dave and Al, as the Touring Band continues to push their own growth curve. Two words -Wild Honey! - "single-handed - took me alive!" 

Shady - It's Friday - Smiley brew time!  Beer

Mike had every authority to fire Brian, Al and David, he holds the license, and he did. How ever you want to couch it, the three were canned. Al has wanted back in the band for years and Mike hasn't allowed it till the C50. Brian, in essence,  wanted the band reformed,  by continuing to make albums and tour indefinetly.

And with a new album and DBA tour, this is going to get rehashed in the press yet again.
Nay - nay! I disagree.  It wasn't "Mike's tour" as facts evolved.  The C50 wasn't touring under the Touring Band banner.  And BRI who is the parent identity of the corporation, named Mike as designee of the license.  An old Larry King show with  Brian and Melinda interview supports that.  It appears they were different structures. And the Touring Band returned to "status quo ante" post C50.

There are 4 votes on the BRI board.  Brian, Mike, Al, and Carl's estate, from what I've read.  It was a pre-arranged tour, with a beginning and end. 
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 07, 2013, 12:30:50 PM »

To quote Brian and disprove AGDs contention, and yours, "After all, we are the real Beach Boys". Which is saying the Mike/Bruce show isn't.

I could post dozens of links documenting Mike sacking Brain, butI will quote just one. The truth is if Mike hadn't dumped the other three, we would have a new BB album and tour this summer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2208817/Youre-fired-Three-Beach-Boys-founding-members-dumped-bands-frontman-Mike-Love.html

Shady - People can't seem to get the notion out of their heads that Mike had no apparent authority to fire anyone.  And that he literally "stopped" the very successful and very busy, Touring Band from its "business as usual" for C50.  They did close the C50 Tour on high ground. I'm watching the London show on YouTube right now. Undoctored, and unprofessional but unreal!  Wink

That said, Mike could assert that he was finished performing, in the C50 context, and that is his choice.  You can't force performance, as that would be a form of " indentured servitude."  

And Brian seemed more comfortable with the performances as time went on.  And largely it seemed due to his back procedure.  For years Brian didn't seem to want to perform as a Beach Boy. He went on record as such.  And everyone just accepted that.  He went solo.  I saw him even out-of-state, because I love his work.  And I selfishly would like to see them do select sections of his work at some point.  I bet we'll see them work together at some point.  

Shady - It's Friday - Smiley brew time!  Beer

Mike had every authority to fire Brian, Al and David, he holds the license, and he did. How ever you want to couch it, the three were canned. Al has wanted back in the band for years and Mike hasn't allowed it till the C50. Brian, in essence,  wanted the band reformed,  by continuing to make albums and tour indefinetly.

Nay - nay! I disagree.  It wasn't "Mike's tour" as facts evolved.  The C50 wasn't touring under the Touring Band banner.  And BRI who is the parent identity of the corporation, named Mike as designee of the license.  An old Larry King show with  Brian and Melinda interview supports that.  It appears they were different structures. And the Touring Band returned to "status quo ante" post C50.

There are 4 votes on the BRI board.  Brian, Mike, Al, and Carl's estate, from what I've read.  It was a pre-arranged tour, with a beginning and end.  

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 12:44:58 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 07, 2013, 12:33:04 PM »

Agreed! Removing the Beach Boys name from the product generally means that the work can function independently of that brand. Anything new associated with the Beach Boys (with rare exception of Life Suite) has been a dumbed down nostalgia fest of the 80's. Better to keep it real and accept that the Beach Boys had a good, long run but now finally it has come to pass.

No, I accept no such thing. All I know is we can look forward to a JT produced album of Jeff F vocals, perhaps poor Dave playing some poorly produced licks (Dave was done a disservice on BIM  and elsewhere on Radio except for the title and last songs, where he was allowed to ply his art best) drowned out by 5 guitars from JT old tapes, and with auto-tuned Al, plus lots of songs about emotion and just trying to get through: yawn yawn.  I am BB or nothing. I want Al and Dave on vocals and guitars both, Bruce on piano and vocals, Mike and Brian writing meaningful songs alone together, and the 5 BB themselves, not special guests "woodshedding."
oldsurferdude
« Reply #169 on: June 07, 2013, 12:47:40 PM »

Here's a little experiment you can conduct during your lunch break: go outside and ask five or ten random passers-by who they'd rather go see - The Beach Boys, or Brian Wilson with Alan Jardine & David Marks. I'm betting the balance would be something like 90% BB.
So you claim Bruce and Mike are "the" Beach Boys?   Why don't you go out on your next break from bet booking and ask people who they'd rather see, the Beach Boys or Mike Love and Bruce Johnston. You argue your own argument.

High Five High Five High Five High Five High Five High Five Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 07, 2013, 12:55:02 PM »

I don't get why people are upset Mike (and Bruce) aren't involved in Brian's new project just so it can be labeled a "new Beach Boys" album. Mike's two creative contribuations on TWGMTR aren't exactly held in very high regard, and a lot of people seem to outright hate Bruce (Can we please drop the infantile "Teabag Bruce"/"Tea Party Bruce" nickname?).

Obviously, it would be ideal to have Mike's voice in the mix, as it is a necessary part of the BB's classic sound, but having Al on board--especially considering his voice has held up better than anyone in the group--makes it Beach Boys-y enough for me. I even hope David gets some vocals on the new record. He sounds fantastic on "Getcha Back", and his voice has a bit of a Dennis quality to it. And I'm sure someone in Brian's band is capable of handling Mike's bass parts. Having 3/5 of the original group involved, with Brian guiding the ship, is most important to me.

Good enough for you perhaps and you are entitled to your opinion but that doesn't make it universally good enough period.

2nd point: I agree Brian's band is great at aping the "Beach Boys" sound but they are not "The Beach Boys" and it is clear as day (again subjectivity on my part) when you listen to both side by side which sounds better.  I'm glad that Brian has such a wonderful support system that backs him up onstage but to me at least they will never be The Beach Boys no matter how well they master the various vocal parts to the songs.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 07, 2013, 01:00:45 PM »

The real problem is that M&B won't respect BW's creative vision and want their dumbed down "nostalgia, which is really a bastardized version of the early 1960s BW sound. I would love BBs albums where M&B know their role and leave the album making to BW.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 07, 2013, 01:04:13 PM »

The real problem is that M&B won't respect BW's creative vision and want their dumbed down "nostalgia, which is really a bastardized version of the early 1960s BW sound. I would love BBs albums where M&B know their role and leave the album making to BW.

Just my opinion but there is nothing wrong with nostalgia.  In fact it's part of The Beach Boys appeal.  The general public expects at least a couple of songs to sound like early 1960s BB records complete with images of surfboards and hot rods.  I have no problem with that and if the songs are solid or at the very least catchy, I actually enjoy that aspect of Beach Boys albums.  What makes it even better is you get the stark contrast from that type of material juxtaposed against the introspective "Brian Wilson is going to take your breath away with this song" material.  The combination of both styles is what to me has always made The Beach Boys so enjoyable as a band.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Nicko1234
« Reply #173 on: June 07, 2013, 01:08:00 PM »

To quote Brian and disprove AGDs contention, and yours, "After all, we are the real Beach Boys". Which is saying the Mike/Bruce show isn't.

I could post dozens of links documenting Mike sacking Brain, butI will quote just one. The truth is if Mike hadn't dumped the other three, we would have a new BB album and tour this summer.

Come on. You are better than this. Aren't you?  Wink
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 07, 2013, 01:14:45 PM »

The facts remain. Mike ended the C50 shows. Brian and Al and Dave wanted to continue. Mike did not. He turned down more full band shows. He turned down another album. He turned down his cousin and friends. He kept touring as the Beach Boys and they did not. (If it looks like a firing and feels like a firing ...)

Now, no one in the group is actively fighting him on that these days, although they tried a bit of public pressure at the time. As pointed out, everyone profits from Mike's work, including Al and Brian. But just because it's accepted doesn't mean it's ideal, and doesn't mean that we aren't losing something.

Brian and his camp threw their weight around for the tour and the album. The album was his idea, after all. He wanted his guys as backing musicians. He wanted to tour his way. All of this is true. But if Brian Wilson is what you want, you have to play ball with him. Might it have benefited his cause later to drive a softer bargain? Perhaps.

But Brian made compromises, too. He accepted Mike's subpar lyrics for several songs on the album, and included an all-Mike tune. He accepted Mike's guys into the band, and gave Mike de facto control over the set list.

So when things break down, the ultimate question is this. Who do you blame? The somewhat lazy, mentally ill mastermind who wants to continue, but on his own terms, or the hard-charging yet unsympathetic frontman, who takes refuge in legal language and only allows for the possibility of a studio reunion under conditions that haven't happened for decades.

I am looking forward to the album because I genuinely enjoy Brian's solo work. But it's sad to lose the full group. They are more than the sum of their parts. Yet it's clear that at a certain level, the group is intrinsically unstable.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:17:23 PM by Wirestone » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx