gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680867 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 03:56:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson's 11th solo album announced today  (Read 93163 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2013, 02:47:41 AM »

Quote from: John Manning link=topic=

msg373746#msg373746 date=1370597610
Here's a little experiment you can conduct during your lunch break: go outside and ask five or ten random passers-by who they'd rather go see - The Beach Boys, or Brian Wilson with Alan Jardine & David Marks. I'm betting the balance would be something like 90% BB.
So you claim Bruce and Mike are "the" Beach Boys?   Why don't you go out on your next break from bet booking and ask people who they'd rather see, the Beach Boys or Mike Love and Bruce Johnston. You argue your own argument.

Tosh -  make it easy for them by showing ads for a gig by each act.

AGD's figures might not be quite spot on; I reckon 80% will opt for the band billed as the BBs, 10% BAD, and another 10% will say "who the feck are Brian Wilson with Alan Jardine & David Marks?"

Now, if you sat down for an hour or two and explained the whole scenario in the required depth, you might start to get a different set of answers entirely… might…
Huh? My premise, which you both have chosen to argue,  is the possibilities of Brian taking the license and three original members, including the guy who is considered the genius behind the band's sucess, touring as the Beach Boys, against one original member and another longstanding member.

I assume you and AGD go giddily to the Lynyrd Skynyrd gigs too when they tour the UK. Flicking on your lighters, closing your eyes, and swaying to the music when they play Freebird.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2013, 03:03:16 AM »

So you say a Brian album wouldn't sell amazing better if called a Beach Boys album? And the C50 didn't earn vastly more money for Brian that he will draw now? Or Brian, Al and David, called the Beach Boys, wouldn't be highly successful?

I guess you would argue it be cool if Roger Daltry went out calling his band The Who, but without Pete.

It all comes down to personsl opinion. I like mine.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2013, 03:17:17 AM »

So you say a Brian album wouldn't sell amazing better if called a Beach Boys album? And the C50 didn't earn vastly more money for Brian that he will draw now? Or Brian, Al and David, called the Beach Boys, wouldn't be highly successful?

I guess you would argue it be cool if Roger Daltry went out calling his band The Who, but without Pete.

If Brian were to try to get the name for touring reasons then that doesn't mean that he could necessarily release a Beach Boys album. Mike and Bruce don't have the right to record an album after all. That is a completely different argument.

Plus, you are saying that you think Brian would want to release a Beach Boys album without Mike or Bruce on it. Something I very much doubt.

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion but there are also certain pertinent facts in this instance. The main one being that Brian didn't do any of the things that you are suggesting and I haven't heard any mention that he considered doing it. There has never been any talk that Brian or Melinda convened a meeting to talk about changing the touring agreement at all. Never mind them actually exploring the possibility of Brian touring and recording as The Beach Boys himself.

I'm not sure why the comparison with The Who. Mike was touring as The Beach Boys from 1998 onwards. Roger Daltrey wasn't touring as The Who.

Basically I don't think the name of the group is sacrosanct to any of the members. If Mike, Al, Bruce etc. were to retire tomorrow then could I imagine Brian's management allowing The Beach Boys name to continue with no original members if he were paid appropriately? Yes, I can. In ten or fifteen years time that may well be a possibility I would have though.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2013, 03:23:20 AM »

We're trying to look realistically at a situation that is beyond our control or influence, is all, and is as it is.

If Daltry went out as The Who and Townshend went out on the road as a solo act, the majority of punters would, quite innocently, buy tickets for The Who. What aspect of that are we expected to be able to change?

What makes you think Brian even wants to revoke Mike's BRI licence and go on the road as the BBs?  The post-C50 media rumble is over and done, it's history. What we have now is things as they is. The individual BBs have moved on and are getting on with things as they see fit. Why fantasize about what isn't, and might probably never be?

As for Lynyrd Skynyrd (pronounced 'lĕh-'nérd 'skin-'nérd), I love their stuff but couldn't name one single band member (other than Dusty Hill, Francis Rossi and Seasick Steve…).  But they're not likely to play Stainforth Village Hall and I haven't carried a lighter since September 28, 2007.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2013, 03:26:29 AM »

Here's a little experiment you can conduct during your lunch break: go outside and ask five or ten random passers-by who they'd rather go see - The Beach Boys, or Brian Wilson with Alan Jardine & David Marks. I'm betting the balance would be something like 90% BB.
So you claim Bruce and Mike are "the" Beach Boys?   Why don't you go out on your next break from bet booking and ask people who they'd rather see, the Beach Boys or Mike Love and Bruce Johnston. You argue your own argument.

Talking simple name recognition here... but since you ask, yes, since 1998, according to the democratically expressed wish of the voting members of BRI (who, last time I looked, included some dude called Brian Douglas Wilson), Mike & Bruce are indeed "The Beach Boys".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Nicko1234
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2013, 03:26:52 AM »

Or Brian, Al and David, called the Beach Boys, wouldn't be highly successful?

How do you define highly successful?

You see, no matter what people think about Mike he has done a good job in a business sense in terms of adapting the touring group since 1998. Having a 7 piece band and traveling on a budget has kept costs down meaning ticket prices are also affordable. Plus Mike and Bruce are happy to play 100+ tour dates a year and are willing to play any venue imaginable.

Now if Brian were to tour with Al and David as The Beach Boys then you would be talking about far more band members on stage and increased traveling costs. If ticket prices were higher then I certainly couldn't imagine them playing in bigger venues than Mike and Bruce do.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2013, 03:27:21 AM »

If Brian were to try to get the name for touring reasons then that doesn't mean that he could necessarily release a Beach Boys album. Mike and Bruce don't have the right to record an album after all. That is a completely different argument.

Plus, you are saying that you think Brian would want to release a Beach Boys album without Mike or Bruce on it. Something I very much doubt.

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion but there are also certain pertinent facts in this instance. The main one being that Brian didn't do any of the things that you are suggesting and I haven't heard any mention that he considered doing it. There has never been any talk that Brian or Melinda convened a meeting to talk about changing the touring agreement at all. Never mind them actually exploring the possibility of Brian touring and recording as The Beach Boys himself.

I'm not sure why the comparison with The Who. Mike was touring as The Beach Boys from 1998 onwards. Roger Daltrey wasn't touring as The Who.

Basically I don't think the name of the group is sacrosanct to any of the members. If Mike, Al, Bruce etc. were to retire tomorrow then could I imagine Brian's management allowing The Beach Boys name to continue with no original members if he were paid appropriately? Yes, I can. In ten or fifteen years time that may well be a possibility I would have though.

All good points except we have no idea what Brian and his wife think along those lines or may be planning, if BRI have met or plan to meet, etc. Yes, as of now, it's the Mike/Bruce show. Never say never I say.

What I would say is expect a lot more articles like this come July:

http://news.radio.com/2013/03/12/mike-loves-beach-boys-or-brian-wilson-friends-who-is-the-real-deal/

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2013, 03:29:49 AM »

Respectively, yes, of course it would... yes, of course it did... and no, I very much doubt they would.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2013, 03:32:06 AM »

So you claim Bruce and Mike are "the" Beach Boys?   Why don't you go out on your next break from bet booking and ask people who they'd rather see, the Beach Boys or Mike Love and Bruce Johnston. You argue your own argument.

Talking simple name recognition here... but since you ask, yes, since 1998, according to the democratically expressed wish of the voting members of BRI (who, last time I looked, included some dude called Brian Douglas Wilson), Mike & Bruce are indeed "The Beach Boys".
All I can say is go enjoy your Frebird type concert experiences. I hear the Temptations are touring the UK next year. Have a great time!

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 07, 2013, 03:34:14 AM »

Respectively, yes, of course it would... yes, of course it did... and no, I very much doubt they would.

Would love to see part 3 put to the test.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 10:37:19 AM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

Nicko1234
« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2013, 03:35:13 AM »

All good points except we have no idea what Brian and his wife think along those lines or may be planning, if BRI have met or plan to meet, etc. Yes, as of now, it's the Mike/Bruce show. Never say never I say.

Well, we only know that Brian has never publicly shown any inclination of wanting to tour as a Beach Boy without Mike over the past 15 years. And that Carl's estate's vote has always gone towards Mike having the name and as he earns far more money than Brian would there is no reason to think that would change.

As for July, I'm sure reviews will mention the two factions but as BAD are playing so few gigs I doubt it will be a big deal.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 07, 2013, 03:39:48 AM »

All good points except we have no idea what Brian and his wife think along those lines or may be planning, if BRI have met or plan to meet, etc.

As the status quo is maintained, I assume there's been no meeting, or call for a meeting. Perhaps they've put it behind them and are getting on with life. Y'know, present and future stuff?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: June 07, 2013, 03:49:47 AM »

All good points except we have no idea what Brian and his wife think along those lines or may be planning, if BRI have met or plan to meet, etc.

In fact, we have a very fair idea what Brian's people are thinking and if BRI have met, by virtue of the fact that over the last 15 years, no move has been in regard to changing the status of the license. As the old adage has it, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Granted Brian makes millions each year from his own compositions, but I'm sure his people aren't indifferent to a nice, yearly top-up that requires absolutely no effort.

MBE
« Reply #138 on: June 07, 2013, 04:25:09 AM »

Hard cold history lessen here, which sadly seems to not be what some here want anymore. Point here is, The Beach Boys broke up many years ago. What a band is called doesn't matter, Mike Love's Beach Boys aren't going to go down in history as anything but a side note, and only one step above that is Brian's solo career. Good, bad, it's the band(s) who were together in the sixties and seventies that made the true impact musically, the fluke of Kokomo aside. BWPS did very well, but TSS is the real deal. The reunion was great, I'm glad Brian felt so good about that he wanted more, but Mike rightly pointed out that they couldn't do that indefinitely and keep to that level. It was a reunion, not a reformation. Anyone who lived through the joke the band was from 1984-1997 realizes that it's for the better. Mike keeps the crowds happy and does a good job, but their time as a group  is over and that's OK.  He and Brian both have good bands they head, and why should either break them up for good? The Beach went out on a high and that makes a big difference. The sad end to the story from 1998-2011 seems to have been forgotten and that's what troubles me here. Is anything ever enough? 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: June 07, 2013, 04:37:43 AM »

Too much is never enough.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 07, 2013, 04:39:39 AM »

Hard cold history lessen here, which sadly seems to not be what some here want anymore. Point here is, The Beach Boys broke up many years ago. What a band is called doesn't matter, Mike Love's Beach Boys aren't going to go down in history as anything but a side note, and only one step above that is Brian's solo career. Good, bad, it's the band(s) who were together in the sixties and seventies that made the true impact musically, the fluke of Kokomo aside. BWPS did very well, but TSS is the real deal. The reunion was great, I'm glad Brian felt so good about that he wanted more, but Mike rightly pointed out that they couldn't do that indefinitely and keep to that level. It was a reunion, not a reformation. Anyone who lived through the joke the band was from 1984-1997 realizes that it's for the better. Mike keeps the crowds happy and does a good job, but their time as a group  is over and that's OK.  He and Brian both have good bands they head, and why should either break them up for good? The Beach went out on a high and that makes a big difference. The sad end to the story from 1998-2011 seems to have been forgotten and that's what troubles me here. Is anything ever enough?  
I wholeheartedly concur.

Psyched for a new BW solo album (a type of BBs-related release which I generally prefer over, say, TWGMTR). Such good news. 3D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 04:56:21 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 07, 2013, 04:45:16 AM »

Hard cold history lessen here, which sadly seems to not be what some here want anymore. Point here is, The Beach Boys broke up many years ago. What a band is called doesn't matter, Mike Love's Beach Boys aren't going to go down in history as anything but a side note, and only one step above that is Brian's solo career. Good, bad, it's the band(s) who were together in the sixties and seventies that made the true impact musically, the fluke of Kokomo aside. BWPS did very well, but TSS is the real deal. The reunion was great, I'm glad Brian felt so good about that he wanted more, but Mike rightly pointed out that they couldn't do that indefinitely and keep to that level. It was a reunion, not a reformation. Anyone who lived through the joke the band was from 1984-1997 realizes that it's for the better. Mike keeps the crowds happy and does a good job, but their time as a group  is over and that's OK.  He and Brian both have good bands they head, and why should either break them up for good? The Beach went out on a high and that makes a big difference. The sad end to the story from 1998-2011 seems to have been forgotten and that's what troubles me here. Is anything ever enough? 

Spot on.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 07, 2013, 04:48:52 AM »

I'm quite alright with the Beach Boys never regrouping again but they did not go out on a high, Mike made sure that didn't happen.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 07, 2013, 04:59:34 AM »

I'm quite alright with the Beach Boys never regrouping again but they did not go out on a high, Mike made sure that didn't happen.

I'm listening to FTTBA/PCH/SG right now… that, and a blistering successful world tour, suggests to me that they did go out on a high!

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 07, 2013, 05:31:27 AM »

I'm listening to FTTBA/PCH/SG right now… that, and a blistering successful world tour, suggests to me that they did go out on a high!
I think Shady was referring to the "firing" incident and the surrounding bad blood boiling up again late last year. Let's just say the culmination/termination of a magnificent and highly successful reunion tour/year could have been handled better. But then again, it's the Beach Boys. Azn
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 05:39:09 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 07, 2013, 05:37:39 AM »

The relationship between the band is just as important as releasing an album and completing a tour. Not only was the tour filled with backstabbing and conversations through the media we've also found out that the Beach Boys weren't even that involved in the TWGMTR album.

The shows were incredible obviously but I wish certain things could've been different, the entire reunion for me has a bitter aftertaste.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 07, 2013, 05:50:23 AM »

At least the professor will stop to talking about a possible Beach Boys album!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 07, 2013, 06:12:04 AM »

Shady - People can't seem to get the notion out of their heads that Mike had no apparent authority to fire anyone.  And that he literally "stopped" the very successful and very busy, Touring Band from its "business as usual" for C50.  They did close the C50 Tour on high ground. I'm watching the London show on YouTube right now. Undoctored, and unprofessional but unreal!  Wink

That said, Mike could assert that he was finished performing, in the C50 context, and that is his choice.  You can't force performance, as that would be a form of " indentured servitude."  

And Brian seemed more comfortable with the performances as time went on.  And largely it seemed due to his back procedure.  For years Brian didn't seem to want to perform as a Beach Boy. He went on record as such.  And everyone just accepted that.  He went solo.  I saw him even out-of-state, because I love his work.  And I selfishly would like to see them do select sections of his work at some point.  I bet we'll see them work together at some point.  

This is a great opportunity for Brian to work again with Dave and Al, as the Touring Band continues to push their own growth curve. Two words -Wild Honey! - "single-handed - took me alive!"  

Shady - It's Friday - Smiley brew time!  Beer
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 06:14:50 AM by filledeplage » Logged
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 07, 2013, 06:24:20 AM »

So...Brian has been in the studio with some very talented and musically interesting people including two erstwhile Beach Boys....he's just announced it's for a new "solo" album....and some people aren't happy.

Jeez....if you had told me a few years ago that this would come to pass I'd have been wetting myself. Would I prefer that Mike & Bruce were on board too and this was a Beach Boys record? Maybe, though mindful that Brian apparently has dozens of songs some earmarked for the BB's and others for solo projects. If these songs he's recording with Dave & Al, and Jeff Beck et al are ones he deems best for non-BB's recordings then so be it.

I'm really excited by an album featuring the above mentioned people plus Vinnie Caulita and Tal Winklefield. Highly talented musicians and all able to bring something fresh and new to Brian's compositions.

And if you'd told me 15 years ago that the rest of the band would be "Brian's long time touring band" I'd have asked you to hand me whatever you were smoking.

Maybe I have this annoying habit of taking a step back and putting things in proportion but I am thrilled to hear this news. It's about the best we could possibly get.

Absinthe Boy (sitting in the garden enjoying mango)
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 07, 2013, 06:41:32 AM »

The relationship between the band is just as important as releasing an album and completing a tour. Not only was the tour filled with backstabbing and conversations through the media we've also found out that the Beach Boys weren't even that involved in the TWGMTR album.

The shows were incredible obviously but I wish certain things could've been different, the entire reunion for me has a bitter aftertaste.

I doubt you are alone my friend.  In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the general public still thinks the C50 ended with Brian Wilson being fired from the band.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx