gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680867 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 06:27:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson's 11th solo album announced today  (Read 93188 times)
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2013, 08:35:59 PM »

Disney (a bit of a dip in quality, but still enjoyable)
I like the Disney record a lot because it's classic Brian Wilson -- mining a vein that I don't think anybody of his generation would think -- or dare -- to mine.  Lion King?  Pocahantas!?  F- yeah!!

Plus he threw some stunt harmonizing in there.  Some black belt, karate!!

The Gershwin album is more polished and "impressive" -- but more boring to me.  I listen to a lot of the Great American Songbook... so, you know.

Pacific Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 06, 2013, 08:41:19 PM »

I'm sure the new record will have a handful of really great songs, and I'm excited to hear the new work.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2013, 08:48:59 PM »

I'm sure the new record will have a handful of really great songs, and I'm excited to hear the new work.

Hoping we hear a lot of Al!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
MBE
« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2013, 08:55:02 PM »

Mid tour, Brian said something  like he was done with solo albums and only wanted to do new BB albums.

I remember reading that Al said something like that. Did Brian too? What and when did he?

All Brian albums get hyped like crazy. TLOS is the only one that has really held up to it over time.

I think "In the key of Disney" and the Gershwin album are at least as good. To me those three albums (TLOS, BWRG, ITKOD) are Brian's best solo work. And - a little off topic - TWGMTR fits into that as well, although it has more weak points than the other three imo.

I guess I differ there, I like the Beach Boys LP on vinyl, but the CD mix is a bit hollow. I don't like either cover album, they sound so stereotypical "Brian". I always say listen to Sharon Marie's Summertime. There Brian did something cool, spooky, and esoteric. On the solo LP it sounds so predictable. I guess BWRG has some cool moments, but not a work that got more than passing interest from me. Disney I just am not found of.
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2013, 10:16:36 PM »

Mike has an incredible ego and can't handle the adulation Brian receives constantly. Notice how in most of the interviews around the 50 Big Ones period, how Bruce, Al, David, and Brian would constantly go out of the way to specifically call Mike a genius, often when the questions were about Brian? How many times has Bruce said something like, when asked about his favorite Beach Boys songs, "Oh, probably 'California Girls'. Brian and Mike did a great job on that one. Brian had this wonderful arrangement and that great looping, kinda country & western bassline, but let's also take a moment to appreciate Mike's lyrics. What a genius that guy is with lyrics, sorta tying in all the different regions of the country into this great California dream. I love that record. I love it, and to this day, Brian is still upset with the vocals at the end. He thought we were behind the beat. Can you believe it?"

Or Brian, whenever he was asked about the reunion, says something like, "The fact that we can all sing, all harmonize still, really amazes me. And Mike still has lyrical genius, his way with words. I'm just knocked out, really knocked out."

People want to say Brian's demanding, but I think Mike is to in his own way.

Mike: "I'm a genius too!"

Big thing: Brian also mentions performing live with Jeff Beck. That's freaking awesome. Of the three Yardbirds guitarists, I like Beck the best.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2013, 10:43:29 PM »

I think it was stated previously that Mike has to pay 20% of his touring money to BRI so with the group playing 100+ concerts a year that must add up to a very sizable sum. No way I could see Brian and Melinda deciding to give up what could be millions of dollars over the next few years for no real purpose.

Well, isn't Brian receiving even more millions than he can eat from song royalties anyway without Mike touring? I can't imagine the plus income being a reason for B&M not to vote against Mike's licence. It is, as some stated, a different thing for Carl's estate.

After all, if they did start voting against Mike then it would hardly mean that there would be a good chance Mike would suddenly be up for more reunion work.

That's a valid point.

So, Bri, give Mike those writing-with-you-only sessions that he wants, and we'll have world peace.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2013, 10:52:20 PM »

I am very curious about the terms of Mike's BB license.

Same as it's been for the past decade and more, which in simple terms means Brian, Alan & Carl's estate each get a pretty penny every year for doing precisely squat.
What is a pretty penny? I have never seen any numbers put out there. I know the C50 grossed in the millions and millions.

At what point do they have enough pretty pennies and control of the name becomes priority 1? Must have crossed Brian and Melinda's mind since Mike cut the cord. Just sayin?

I would imagine we're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars, year in, year out: certainly Carl's estate aren't going to rock that boat. As long as Mike adheres to the terms of the license (which he has done, scrupulously), and as long as the rest of the BRI members don't decide they want to pass up a regular and substantial payday for some vague artistic gesture (and guess what - they've not so far), then Mike retains control.

And please, can we finish with the "fired" and "cut the chord" ? No-one was fired, as you well know. The situation reverted to the pre-C50 format, as was agreed by all members. And... if Brian is indeed so all-fired to keep making Beach Boys albums, all he has to do is ask Mike & Bruce to stroll on down to Oceanway. Sad as it may seem, this new solo venture might devolve into a mere tool for scoring points, at least in the eyes of a segment of the fanbase.

C50 is over. Understand it, live with it. No more albums, no more tours: it was an astonishing time, one that I never dared would come to pass, but it did, and now it's done. These guys are heading towards their mid-70s at a fast trot and only Alan seems to be in reasonably rude health: Brian & Mike have back issues and Bruce had a bypass some years ago. Enjoy what we have while it's still here, because in my lifetime there will come a year when maybe David is the Last Beach Boy Standing.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2013, 10:58:17 PM »

After their dust up in the LA Times, "ML fires Brian Wilson", I bet it croseed somebody's mind. But just, as usual, wild speculation on my part.

Possibly in a moment of anger but I really would doubt it.

Brian has built up a name for himself with his solo work over the past several years and touring in a shadow Beach Boys lineup would do nothing to boost his reputation imo.

And I don't think Brian, Al and Dave would sell any more tickets than Mike does now. I believe M&B have played the same size venues as Brian on many occasions so I'm not sure why Brian would want to go out as The Beach Boys and have to pay Mike a cut for every show when he could go out under his own name and pay nothing.

The online poll a few months ago, not this site, about who would you like to see, was 7 to 1 people wanting to see Brian, Al and David vs. Mike/Brian. Will try and find the poll for ya.

87% want to see Brian, with Al & David vs. 10 % The Mike/Bruce show.

A Brian, Al, David Beach Boys would be a highly sucessful touring act!

http://news.radio.com/2013/03/12/mike-loves-beach-boys-or-brian-wilson-friends-who-is-the-real-deal/

Hardly a scientific or impartial sampling.  Grin

MBE
« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2013, 11:07:03 PM »

Same as it's been for the past decade and more, which in simple terms means Brian, Alan & Carl's estate each get a pretty penny every year for doing precisely squat.
What is a pretty penny? I have never seen any numbers put out there. I know the C50 grossed in the millions and millions.

At what point do they have enough pretty pennies and control of the name becomes priority 1? Must have crossed Brian and Melinda's mind since Mike cut the cord. Just sayin?

I would imagine we're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars, year in, year out: certainly Carl's estate aren't going to rock that boat. As long as Mike adheres to the terms of the license (which he has done, scrupulously), and as long as the rest of the BRI members don't decide they want to pass up a regular and substantial payday for some vague artistic gesture (and guess what - they've not so far), then Mike retains control.

And please, can we finish with the "fired" and "cut the chord" ? No-one was fired, as you well know. The situation reverted to the pre-C50 format, as was agreed by all members. And... if Brian is indeed so all-fired to keep making Beach Boys albums, all he has to do is ask Mike & Bruce to stroll on down to Oceanway. Sad as it may seem, this new solo venture might devolve into a mere tool for scoring points, at least in the eyes of a segment of the fanbase.

C50 is over. Understand it, live with it. No more albums, no more tours: it was an astonishing time, one that I never dared would come to pass, but it did, and now it's done. These guys are heading towards their mid-70s at a fast trot and only Alan seems to be in reasonably rude health: Brian & Mike have back issues and Bruce had a bypass some years ago. Enjoy what we have while it's still here, because in my lifetime there will come a year when maybe David is the Last Beach Boy Standing.
Some much needed reality here.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2013, 11:36:29 PM »

Unless you know exact numbers, shouldn't throw them out. As unlikely as the C50 was, it happened. As unlikely as you think the license won't change, it could.

I do agree the 5 won't probably will never join again.
Your viewpoint on the split is cool but many see it different. Like Brian, Al, the LA Times and many other rock journalists.

Not speaking for Bruce, but I talked to him about his bypass, which was years ago, and he said hi is fit as a fiddle. Don't imagine he would like people thinking he might be kicking the bucket any time soon. Just my take when we talked about it.

As to the poll, it's about as scientific as we are gonna get. Radio.com is a pretty good music site. Don't read it though, has several articles blaming Mike for the C50 split.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2013, 11:49:16 PM »

I think there are a couple of fine points in AGD's generally excellent response that need addressing.

The situation reverted to the pre-C50 format, as was agreed by all members.

At the outset of the event, yes. Three of the five principals wanted to then keep going after the London shows, and there were offers more concerts and another album on the table. Mike decided not to go along with that. These are the facts, at least as related by Jon Stebbins and those close to the group.

And... if Brian is indeed so all-fired to keep making Beach Boys albums, all he has to do is ask Mike & Bruce to stroll on down to Oceanway.

Given that Mike has already said he would only be interested in working with Brian if the latter wrote with him alone in a room, it scarcely seems that simple, does it?

I understand that what's done is done. But Mike's role in the dissolution of the enterprise -- or the return of the status quo, however one wants to put it -- should not be airbrushed away.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2013, 11:54:57 PM »

Unless you know exact numbers, shouldn't throw them out. As unlikely as the C50 was, it happened. As unlikely as you think the license won't change, it could.

Your viewpoint on the split is cool but many see it different. Like Brian, Al, the LA Times and many other rock journalists.

Not speaking for Bruce, but I talked to him about his bypass, which was years ago, and he said hi is fit as a fiddle. Don't imagine he would like people thinking he might be kicking the bucket any time soon. Just my take when we talked about it.

As to the poll, it's about as scientific as we are gonna get. Radio.com is a pretty good music site. Don't read it though, has several articles blaming Mike for the C50 split.

"Millions and millions" is hardly what I'd term as "exact".  Grin

The earth may turn into a mango-flavored popsicle at noon BST today: unlikely, but it could.

Whatever the income Carl's estate derives from BMI, it has to be a lot bigger than what they'd otherwise get from his musical royalties, ergo they wouldn't vote with Brian & Alan, in the highly unlikely event that any such vote came to pass. Thus, situation tied a 2-2, status quo prevails.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2013, 12:00:48 AM »

Mmmm....mango....

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2013, 12:46:30 AM »

This. For the love of god...THIS.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2013, 12:56:39 AM »

Seconded.  Look forward.

“We live in divisive times.”
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2013, 12:57:03 AM »

"Millions and millions" is hardly what I'd term as "exact".  Grin

The earth may turn into a mango-flavored popsicle at noon BST today: unlikely, but it could.

Whatever the income Carl's estate derives from BMI, it has to be a lot bigger than what they'd otherwise get from his musical royalties, ergo they wouldn't vote with Brian & Alan, in the highly unlikely event that any such vote came to pass. Thus, situation tied a 2-2, status quo prevails.
Earth turning to mango? An anology contrasting the impossible with the possible is silly. Now that's the AGD I know.   Doubt Carl's estate gets much from BMI compared to BRI.   Grin

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2013, 01:00:22 AM »

Seconded.  Look forward.

Looking forward to Brian's solo album, the DBA tour and dozens of articles rehashing why the band isn't together anymore. Get ready for it, deal with it, accept it!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:14:59 AM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #117 on: June 07, 2013, 01:11:26 AM »

I understand that what's done is done. But Mike's role in the dissolution of the enterprise -- or the return of the status quo, however one wants to put it -- should not be airbrushed away.

I agree. What I try to never lose sight of is that this is a rather screwed up  family relationship being played out in public. Animosity between the Wilson'a and the Love's stretches way back. Brian and Mike would have learnt all this at the knee.
Nicko1234
« Reply #118 on: June 07, 2013, 01:17:56 AM »

http://news.radio.com/2013/03/12/mike-loves-beach-boys-or-brian-wilson-friends-who-is-the-real-deal/

Sorry but you are talking about a completely different thing there and it actually hurts your argument. The votes there suggest that people would rather see BAD (not Brian using The Beach Boys name). Now if that poll is reflective of the concert going public it should mean that more people will go to see BAD this summer than M&B. We both know that is a million miles from being the truth.

Now that either suggests that there have been few offers from promoters for gigs or it means that Brian doesn't want to play many shows or both. Whichever is true, it certainly doesn't suggest that having Brian, Al and David touring as The Beach Boys would be a good idea.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 07, 2013, 01:23:01 AM »

I agree. What I try to never lose sight of is that this is a rather screwed up  family relationship being played out in public. Animosity between the Wilson'a and the Love's stretches way back. Brian and Mike would have learnt all this at the knee.

In read the animosity as being primarily (not all, admittedly) of a business nature. My reading down recent years has been that Mike and Brian are well capable of eating steak together and enjoying a laugh, as cousins should.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 07, 2013, 01:29:13 AM »

Sorry but you are talking about a completely different thing there and it actually hurts your argument. The votes there suggest that people would rather see BAD (not Brian using The Beach Boys name). Now if that poll is reflective of the concert going public it should mean that more people will go to see BAD this summer than M&B. We both know that is a million miles from being the truth.

Now that either suggests that there have been few offers from promoters for gigs or it means that Brian doesn't want to play many shows or both. Whichever is true, it certainly doesn't suggest that having Brian, Al and David touring as The Beach Boys would be a good idea.

My comments are all hypothetical speculation as I don't have the numbers - who gets paid what, what the average venue gross is, etc. AGDs argument is solid in stating parties benefit $ from Mike's touring. I appreciate your arguement. I would prefer neither entity call themselves the Beach Boys. I do think 3 trumps 2, but can't imagine the BB without Mike as the front man.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:31:27 AM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2013, 02:15:25 AM »

Here's a little experiment you can conduct during your lunch break: go outside and ask five or ten random passers-by who they'd rather go see - The Beach Boys, or Brian Wilson with Alan Jardine & David Marks. I'm betting the balance would be something like 90% BB.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2013, 02:26:55 AM »

Here's a little experiment you can conduct during your lunch break: go outside and ask five or ten random passers-by who they'd rather go see - The Beach Boys, or Brian Wilson with Alan Jardine & David Marks. I'm betting the balance would be something like 90% BB.
So you claim Bruce and Mike are "the" Beach Boys?   Why don't you go out on your next break from bet booking and ask people who they'd rather see, the Beach Boys or Mike Love and Bruce Johnston. You argue your own argument.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2013, 02:33:30 AM »

So you claim Bruce and Mike are "the" Beach Boys?   Why don't you go out on your next break from bet booking and ask people who they'd rather see, the Beach Boys or Mike Love and Bruce Johnston. You argue your own argument.

Tosh -  make it easy for them by showing ads for a gig by each act.

AGD's figures might not be quite spot on; I reckon 80% will opt for the band billed as the BBs, 10% BAD, and another 10% will say "who the feck are Brian Wilson with Alan Jardine & David Marks?"

Now, if you sat down for an hour or two and explained the whole scenario in the required depth, you might start to get a different set of answers entirely… might…

Nicko1234
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2013, 02:41:39 AM »

Two different arguments going on there...

The bottom line is that the current scenario is much better for Brian than if he were to try to take The Beach Boys name. He gets more money at the moment, does not have to go through the hassle of trying to change the agreement, should be able to play more interesting setlists when he tours under his own name etc. There is no logical reason why he would want to start calling himself 'The Beach Boys'. This would be especially true if he were planning to release new material.

And on the '3 trumps 2' subject. For the general public I don't think David Marks is important at all. When he stopped touring with Mike and Bruce in 1999 it didn't adversely affect them after all. And I have seen them perform without David in 2004 and with David in 2008. At the same venue with the same size audience and the same crowd response. I was delighted to see him up there but I don't think he had any real impact on ticket sales.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx