gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:51:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson's 11th solo album announced today  (Read 92382 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2013, 11:48:03 AM »

It seems like there is now a definite rift between the two camps. Mid tour, Brian said something  like he was done with solo albums and only wanted to do new BB albums. Al said they were going to finish the left over Radiio tracks for MIC.

Then Brian, Al, and David were "fired", and DBA are recording and touring on their own. And apparently, no new Radio tracks on the boxed set.

I am very curious about the terms of Mike's BB license. How bad is the riff between camps and will it go farther?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2013, 11:50:52 AM »

I have all along said, "There will be a studio album."  Nothing more, nothing less.

OK, you did say that.  In the thread "Information on the next BB album," you said, simply, "there will be a new studio album in 2013."

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2013, 11:58:56 AM »

I'm just gonna say... DEAR GOD PLEASE DON'T LET JOE THOMAS f*** THIS UP!!!!!!!

with that being said, I'm pumped to hear BW and Jeff Beck!!

That is all.

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2013, 12:05:23 PM »

It seems like there is now a definite rift between the two camps. Mid tour, Brian said something  like he was done with solo albums and only wanted to do new BB albums. Al said they were going to finish the left over Radiio tracks for MIC.

Then Brian, Al, and David were "fired", and DBA are recording and touring on their own. And apparently, no new Radio tracks on the boxed set.

This is why even though I have tempered excitement for Brian's new solo record, I think what we've lost here collectively as a fanbase is far more than anything we'll gain.  I think there are a number of us who last year we ready for The Beach Boys to reform as a living, breathing entity in the world of pop music.  I think while many of us have enjoyed or continue to enjoy Brian Wilson's solo work it comes down to do you want to see Brian Wilson perform with a band that while extremely talented essentially apes The Beach Boys or do you want to see The Beach Boys with Brian Wilson as a member of the group?  To me to even ask such a question is ludicrous.

As for Brian Wilson's comments, we all know his comments change with the weather.  This time next year he could be onto something else but something to keep in mind is the man is seventy years old.  Now I know there are many pundits here who will point out many examples of artists who performed well into their eighties and beyond but realistically there are probably only so many years left that Brian, Al, Mike, Dave and Bruce have either individually or collectively as a recording and touring unit.  So I don't think it's unfair for Beach Boys fans to want to see the C50 lineup as often as they can before it no longer becomes realistically feasible for them to be a touring outfit.  So I can totally understand that perspective.

The thing is though aside from optimism on the part of certain fans on this forum, there has been literally nothing even remotely positive about the C50 lineup ever collaborating or performing together again since the C50 tour ended and I at least have accepted that.  Doesn't necessarily mean I'm happy about it but I'd be a fool to remain in a state of permanent denial.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2013, 12:08:21 PM »

DEAR GOD PLEASE DON'T LET JOE THOMAS f*** THIS UP!!!!!!!

Quite.
MBE
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2013, 12:16:47 PM »

All Brian albums get hyped like crazy. TLOS is the only one that has really held up to it over time. I have a wait and see attitude about anything, especially with JT aboard. I wish he'd use a less safe choice.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2013, 12:17:50 PM »

This is why even though I have tempered excitement for Brian's new solo record, I think what we've lost here collectively as a fanbase is far more than anything we'll gain.  I think there are a number of us who last year we ready for The Beach Boys to reform as a living, breathing entity in the world of pop music.  I think while many of us have enjoyed or continue to enjoy Brian Wilson's solo work it comes down to do you want to see Brian Wilson perform with a band that while extremely talented essentially apes The Beach Boys or do you want to see The Beach Boys with Brian Wilson as a member of the group?  To me to even ask such a question is ludicrous.

As for Brian Wilson's comments, we all know his comments change with the weather.  This time next year he could be onto something else but something to keep in mind is the man is seventy years old.  Now I know there are many pundits here who will point out many examples of artists who performed well into their eighties and beyond but realistically there are probably only so many years left that Brian, Al, Mike, Dave and Bruce have either individually or collectively as a recording and touring unit.  So I don't think it's unfair for Beach Boys fans to want to see the C50 lineup as often as they can before it no longer becomes realistically feasible for them to be a touring outfit.  So I can totally understand that perspective.

The thing is though aside from optimism on the part of certain fans on this forum, there has been literally nothing even remotely positive about the C50 lineup ever collaborating or performing together again since the C50 tour ended and I at least have accepted that.  Doesn't necessarily mean I'm happy about it but I'd be a fool to remain in a state of permanent denial.

I would postulate that the only way the 5 are going to band together again is if Brian and Al get the license.  Mike would have to tour under his own name and that would be slim going financially.  Then it would only a matter of time for Mike to return, tail between his legs. And Bruce always follows Mike.

As for Brian's new album, Joe Thomas has a sound, the JTS. Expect nothing else.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2013, 12:30:58 PM »

That is all.
Was it "Surf's Up?" that Jeff Beck did at the Brian tribute concert?  It was real nice. 

With Brian's often complicated chords/melodies, I hope he is given space to add his creativity.  Also, hope he's on the whole thing, not just a strange (and thus out of place) track like Clapton was on GIOMH.

Not too worried.  Sounds like he will be more "integrated"... but, we'll see.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2013, 12:34:41 PM »

I think we all need to learn to be happy with the fact that we're getting some creative output, and patient enough to observe the proceedings from afar, which is where we're at.

To me a BW product is gold dust. A BBs product would be gold dust and we've just had that.

I dunno… one BBs album in 18 years, and suddenly some folks are acting like the sky's falling because they're not suddenly pumping them out annually.  Be thankful, I reckon, that we've had that and that the guys are still putting out product and performing live, in whatever entities.

Anyone here want to be working into their 70s?  We'll never have it this good again…

“We live in divisive times.”
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2013, 12:36:20 PM »

Mike has an incredible ego and can't handle the adulation Brian receives constantly. Notice how in most of the interviews around the 50 Big Ones period, how Bruce, Al, David, and Brian would constantly go out of the way to specifically call Mike a genius, often when the questions were about Brian? How many times has Bruce said something like, when asked about his favorite Beach Boys songs, "Oh, probably 'California Girls'. Brian and Mike did a great job on that one. Brian had this wonderful arrangement and that great looping, kinda country & western bassline, but let's also take a moment to appreciate Mike's lyrics. What a genius that guy is with lyrics, sorta tying in all the different regions of the country into this great California dream. I love that record. I love it, and to this day, Brian is still upset with the vocals at the end. He thought we were behind the beat. Can you believe it?"

Or Brian, whenever he was asked about the reunion, says something like, "The fact that we can all sing, all harmonize still, really amazes me. And Mike still has lyrical genius, his way with words. I'm just knocked out, really knocked out."

People want to say Brian's demanding, but I think Mike is to in his own way.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2013, 12:38:34 PM »

Let me offer you this alternate universe scenario:  The Beatles get back together circa mid 80s and record an album that is critically well received and backed by a successful tour.  The following year John Lennon begins work on a solo album, invites George Harrison and Ringo Starr along but not Paul McCartney.  I guarantee you Beatles fans would've been bummed about that too.
Well, in that scenario, I'd just be grateful that my favorite musician had survived the nightmare of Dec 8, 1980.

I mean, I'm pulling your leg a bit here, but as a Beatlefan, the loss of John just makes it so very hard for me to compare the two.  It would be like saying "Hey, if you could have had Carl and Dennis back last year for one final album and tour, wouldn't you be disappointed not to get even more?"  Meanwhile, all you can think is "I'd just be happy to see them alive, and anything else is gravy!"

That said, I do take your meaning, and well, yes, a part of me wishes it could be another full Beach Boys album coming our way, because those voices are just magical together, even today.  But I cannot pretend that I haven't been dying of curiosity and excitement over the Ocean Way photos every time a new one is released, and the welcome addition of Al and David make the prospects for the new Brian LP all the more enticing to me.

Concerning the album itself, I'm with Paulos, let's hear some more of the "Life Suite" tracks, please, Brian!  Al and David will be there to help lend their talents and hey, for all we know, there's the possibility that Mike and Bruce cut some vocals for these numbers last year, too.  Maybe we could see a few more of the suite numbers on Brian's new album, before the final pieces are released on Made in California or the (hopefully coming) next Beach Boys album, and then we can assemble all of the pieces ourselves?

What are the odds that Brian names this rock 'n' roll album "Pleasure Island"?  I mean, when the press release specifically mentions that Brian has "a rock & roll-driven album in mind," are we to surmise that this is the fabled project Brian has had in mind for so long, now, or something different?  I know Wilson said something to the effect of "no concept, just music" this time, but one cannot help but wonder.
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2013, 12:50:51 PM »

That is all.
Was it "Surf's Up?" that Jeff Beck did at the Brian tribute concert?  It was real nice. 

With Brian's often complicated chords/melodies, I hope he is given space to add his creativity.  Also, hope he's on the whole thing, not just a strange (and thus out of place) track like Clapton was on GIOMH.

Not too worried.  Sounds like he will be more "integrated"... but, we'll see.

Yes, it was at the MusiCares 2005 Person of the year award.

I'm not worried at all. Check out Jeff Beck's "Blow by Blow" album! Full of very complicated chords/melodies. Even if it's one track, Beck is way more versatile and experimental than Clapton, so I doubt it will sound so stock. Beck can do it all.. fusion, jazz, blues, rock and even BW compositions.

Here's the full Blow by Blow album http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdwzXnWa_x4

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2013, 01:07:43 PM »

Totally agree.

EC is absolutely capable of brilliantly succinct, clear, beautifully articulated guitar playing... but I see a guy like Beck going deeper and working with the artist/song more.  And hanging out before and afterwards.  It's often in during those times that musical spirits and ideas emerge and "gel."

Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2013, 01:19:50 PM »

I think we all need to learn to be happy with the fact that we're getting some creative output, and patient enough to observe the proceedings from afar, which is where we're at.

To me a BW product is gold dust. A BBs product would be gold dust and we've just had that.

I dunno… one BBs album in 18 years, and suddenly some folks are acting like the sky's falling because they're not suddenly pumping them out annually.  Be thankful, I reckon, that we've had that and that the guys are still putting out product and performing live, in whatever entities.

Anyone here want to be working into their 70s?  We'll never have it this good again…

Well stated, John.
petzounds29
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2013, 01:27:32 PM »

Proud Mary
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2013, 02:12:47 PM »

The most creative mind in modern music is making a new album. Am I excited. YES!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2013, 02:36:39 PM »

I like this quote...

“I was really moved by the fans’ excitement about The Beach Boys’ album and tour last year,” says Wilson.  “It charged me up and my head was full of music - I just couldn’t wait to get back into the studio to let it out.”

I know he says that kind of stuff a lot... but it just feels sincere to me.

Listening

C'mon, you really think he says any of the things that are attributed to him in press releases?

Anyone can do a latter day Brian Wilson quote and have it look like he said it. Just replace words that end in ng with n', throw in a "creative" here and there, and end it with love and mercy.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2013, 02:38:05 PM »

We're used to getting BW albums on a pretty frequent basis for 25 years now. I find that breathtaking...  Shocked

When you step back and think about the whole story -- it's pretty amazing to think we're still getting new BW solo albums in 2013.  And thank God for that!  I remember when Imagination came out in 1998 -- thinking it would certainly be his last.  Or when '88 came out -- that would be his only!

Transcendental Meditation

+1!

I also remember when Summer In Paradise was going to be THE LAST Beach Boys album.... Thankfully that's no longer a reality.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2013, 03:08:24 PM »

I do this, in general, worries about Joe Thomas are misplaced. His work on TWGMTR (whatever his exact role) was far less obtrusive than his contributions to Imagination. The backing tracks were, generally, consistent with Brian's solo work of the previous decade. The vocals were far more massaged, yes, but generally listenable.

On this new album, as long as he's not trying to market Brian to an adult contemporary audience (the entire conceit behind Imagination), I suspect we'll get something decent. And as long as the vocals are allowed to breathe at least a little bit, I think we'll be fine.

Another interesting question: Who's doing backing vocals on this? Looks like Jeff and Al were doing some, but I wonder if we'll be returning to a wall-of-Brians on some tracks.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2013, 03:41:28 PM »

I am very curious about the terms of Mike's BB license.

Same as it's been for the past decade and more, which in simple terms means Brian, Alan & Carl's estate each get a pretty penny every year for doing precisely squat.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
oldsurferdude
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2013, 03:54:47 PM »

Same as it's been for the past decade and more, which in simple terms means Brian, Alan & Carl's estate each get a pretty penny every year for doing precisely squat.
Yeah, shame Brian didn't write songs so mYke luHv couldn't enjoy a lucrative career in show business. Poor, poor, pitiful myKe. Roll Eyes
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2013, 03:57:15 PM »

damn i want a title and tracklist  Azn
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2013, 04:48:39 PM »

The most creative mind in modern music is making a new album. Am I excited. YES!

This! Big time

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2013, 05:06:05 PM »

Mid tour, Brian said something  like he was done with solo albums and only wanted to do new BB albums.

I remember reading that Al said something like that. Did Brian too? What and when did he?

All Brian albums get hyped like crazy. TLOS is the only one that has really held up to it over time.

I think "In the key of Disney" and the Gershwin album are at least as good. To me those three albums (TLOS, BWRG, ITKOD) are Brian's best solo work. And - a little off topic - TWGMTR fits into that as well, although it has more weak points than the other three imo.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 05:09:17 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2013, 05:11:51 PM »

What is a pretty penny? I have never seen any numbers put out there. I know the C50 grossed in the millions and millions.

At what point do they have enough pretty pennies and control of the name becomes priority 1? Must have crossed Brian and Melinda's mind since Mike cut the cord. Just sayin?

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx